Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2003, 02:21 AM   #16
Eeyore2003
DIS Veteran

What great tips!!! Thanks so much for posting these!!!
Eeyore2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:40 AM   #17
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Thanks Kelsie - Just printed the list off. Hopefully this will help me stay on the straight and narrow!!!!
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #18
DisneyMom
Now a Disney Grandma!!

Great tips!!

Couple more I've tried to incorporate:

I keep a large plastic cup on my desk - fill with ice water when I get to work - try to drink before lunch and then fill up again after lunch and try to empty before going home. I found that drinking with a straw is easier for me.

When I eat out - most restaurants WILL let you order off the children's menu if you ask nicely - for smaller portions - or as soon as you order, ask for a "to go" box - when your meal arrives, carve out a correct portion and put the rest in the box - easier to ignore the large restaurant portions if it's off your plate!!

Try to vary flavor of water with lemon, orange or lime slices - refreshing in hot months!!

I have three teenagers (actually, I just realized I don't anymore - I have 2 teenagers and a 20-year old!) and boy can they eat! Keep snack foods for them in one cabinet that I've declared "off limits" to me! If I don't see it, not as tempted!!

LOVE the new Dannon light and fit smoothies - 5 g of protein, 15 of carb and only 80 calories - the peach/mango is scrumptious - what a treat!!
Offsite: 4/13-14/2009 (Never doing offsite again!)
ASMovies: 12/13-18/2010
ASMusic: 12/15 - 12/19/2012
AS Music: 12/15 - 12/21/2013

DisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 06:17 AM   #19
Dreamer04

Little Stinker
I love Trading Spaces

Kelsie, these are great tips. What I love about them the most is that they are so doable! Incorporating small changes may be the best way for me to get started on a healthier lifestyle.

A dream is a wish your heart makes
Dreamer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #20
nancyj_pa
Disney Grannie
I say go for it!
Onward and downward!

Thanks for the tips!
SOG Oct. 2001

Protein Power since 8/9/03

nancyj_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:43 PM   #21
Auntmeme
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up great tips

Thank you I also will post on my bathroom mirror, where all my motivational stuff goes.

For those on Atkins - always have a low carb bar stashed in different places, at work, in car, at friends house. I find this very helpful when I'm hungry and want a snack.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:43 PM   #22
LoriZH
The GooGoo Dolls rock!!!!
No longer feuding with the McCoys!

Great tips I totally agree especially the water!

Here are a couple more:

If a food commercial comes on, SWITCH the channel IMMEDIATELY! (this seems to work for me)

Don't read magazines with food in them, pick up a good book and get involved especially during your "weak" hour of the day.

Put more fiber into your diet, if you take a fiber pill a half hour before dinner with a full glass of water, it will trick your stomach into thinking it's fuller than it actually is.

Avoid white foods at all cost! (i.e. White Bread, White Rice, Potatoes, etc.)

Watch your sugar grams, try and use foods with less sugar in them, sauces, creams, etc.

If you go off your diet, DON'T GIVE UP! Just go right back on it, don't dwell on the guilt or think you're a failure, just get right back on the horse like it NEVER happened! Please it's really important not to beat yourself up over a slip, remember you are human and most importantly you can move on immediately and become successful.

Okay, that's all I have for now, hope they help.

Cinmell without even looking where you were from I knew IMMEDIATELY you were from Boston area (tonic, that is exactly what we called it growing up, lol).

Been booed by Daninalismama, Thank you!
LoriZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:32 AM   #23
DznyDreams
A DREAM IS A WISH YOUR HEART MAKES . . .

I'm a Weight Watcher, not a low-carb dieter. So, my tip is more for the non-low-carb folks.

When dining out, order your salad with the dressing on the side. THEN, instead of pouring the dressing on the salad, dip the tip of your fork in the dressing before each bite. It gives you the flavor your looking for, without overindulging in the high-fat dressing....it also slows you down a bit so that you can actually tell when you've had enough.

A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep; In dreams you lose your heartaches, whatever you wish for you keep; Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling thru; No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true!

11/13 CSR & Disney Dream * 9/10 CSR * 08/09 WL * 2/09 CSR * 9/08 BWV & POP * 5/08 POP * 11-12/07 CSR & Disney Wonder * 10/05 CBR * 10/04 BWV * 03/04 BWV * 10/02 OKW * 04/02 WLV * 10/01 OKW * 12/00 CR * 05/00 POFQ * 12/99 DL (aka: POR) * 09/98 CR * Offsite 95
Old 10-01-2003, 04:40 AM   #24
squitty
With a little bit of Pixie Dust
Finds it hard to type with her eyes closed

Thanks for the wonderful tips, I am just going to print these off and put them on my fridge too :D
Old 02-18-2004, 04:31 PM   #25
My W*I*S*H*
Earning My Ears

I just started, so I don't know if it's ok to add a tip, but I've found the one thing that keeps my chocolate binges to almost nothing is CHOCOLATE SOY MILK! I know so many are hesitant to try it, but after the first half gallon, I was hooked...now it's my soy, my calcium, and my chocolate fix all in one. I love it! :D

Robin
My W*I*S*H* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #26
LittleMissMickey
DIS Veteran

My two cents...

Just a little tip that helped me in my freshman year when there ALWAYS seemed to be food about (where I'm STILL trying to get the weight off from....freshman years and boyfriends are horrible for diet plans).

Carry a toothbrush with you. Whenever you finish eating, brush your teeth. If you feel a big craving, brush them again. Having a clean sensation in your mouth will often curb your appetite. Be careful, though, too much brushing, or brushing too hard, can be bad for your gums!

Keep up the awesome work, all!

Ashley
Old 04-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #27
christinadei
Tagless for eternity (well, until the Tag Fairy found me on 11/5/05!)
This tag is stuck up here with GLUE DOTS!

I use gum for the same purpose. Just get a strong, minty sugar free gum and chew it after I eat and throughout the day. It also helps me not drink soda, since it doesn't taste good.

My tip is to eat a salad with LF or FF dressing or some kind of low fat soup or raw veggies or fruit or something before dinner. It will fill you up with good stuff before you eat.

I'm also a Weight Watcher, and a tip from them is to fill your plate 1/2 full with veggies, then 1/4 protein and 1/4 starch.

christinadei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #28
angey77
DIS Veteran

I've read many times before if you are trying to lose weight, cut 300 calories from what is needed to maintain a weight. You can calculate the calories needed to maintain a weight by multiplying your weight by 10-12 (I picked 10). Say for example you are 125 pounds. Multiply that by 10 and get 1250, then subtract 300 and get 950 calories per day to consume.

One pound equals 3500 calories also, so if you cut your daily diet by those measly 300 calories, and hit the elyptical for 20 minutes per day, you should lose one pound per week!

I've been sticking to a diabetic diet with my calories as counted above, even though I'm not diabetic. Its been great. I eat three meals a day and two snacks a day, and work out one hour (weights and elyptical) four days per week. I've lost five pounds in three weeks and I always have energy.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:40 PM   #29
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

I struggle with my weight because I have something called PCOS. I have found several things that make me feel like I am having a lot of sweets, but really I am not. Because I have PCOS, I am at a high risk for diabetes, so I have to go easy on the chocolate cake and brownies. I do pretty well because I am not overweight to a point where it is dangerous, I would just like to look better in whatever I want to wear. I have found the follwing things to help me.........

1. Sweeten Kool-Aid and Tea with Splenda. Especially Kool-Aid.

2. Jello has no carbs and no fat. You can sweeten it with Cool Whip if you do not feel like your sweet craving is being met.

3. If you are just dying for some chocolate, most grocery stores carry chocolate whipped topping in a can. Again, almost no fat or carbs. Man, some days I could eat a half can of that stuff.

4. Pudding made with Skim milk is another one when you are wanting a rich chocolate or vanilla flavor.

Also -

5. If you can lay off cokes altogether, including diet ones and sprite, you can drop about 10 – 15 lbs a year. If you do not like the blandness of water, drink water with lemon, lime or orange.

6. Eat wheat bread instead of white. It still has carbs, but it does not go white to your buns. Oops – that was supposed to be right to your buns.

7. Stay away from whites…..bread, flours, potatoes, rice…all of the white stuff.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:46 PM   #30
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DznyDreams
I'm a Weight Watcher, not a low-carb dieter. So, my tip is more for the non-low-carb folks.

When dining out, order your salad with the dressing on the side. THEN, instead of pouring the dressing on the salad, dip the tip of your fork in the dressing before each bite. It gives you the flavor your looking for, without overindulging in the high-fat dressing....it also slows you down a bit so that you can actually tell when you've had enough.
I do this, too. It works great. I can eat a good salad with minimal dressing and for me, this is the best way. I don't lose the flavor, I still eat all of my salad and I have over half of the dressing left when finished.

I also eat my salad first. This will already be filling my stomach before the chicken and veggies ever hit the table.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: