Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #106
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Oh! I remember that pool game!! In new york, it went a little differently though...you had two teams...lets say 3 people on each team. one team goes to one side of the pool and the other team goes to the other side of the pool. The first team thinks of a movie, tv show, or celebrity. They give clues and wait for hte other team to guess, once the other team guesses, you race to the other side, whoever gets there first wins that round.

I cant think of the name of hte game, it was some sort of candy i think like "bubblegum" or something haha.

Great chapter as always! I can't wait for more, its so GREAT to read this because Me (20) my cousin Michael [whos more like my best friend/brother (21) and my other cousin Kara (17) are going to the Wilderness Lodge in 46 days!! It's Karas first time, but between Michael and myself our favorite park is EPCOT! So i really enjoyed this chapter.

Also, was Mary Poppins on the times guide?? Having my picture taken with her is like my dream!!

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #107
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
Oh! I remember that pool game!! In new york, it went a little differently though...you had two teams...lets say 3 people on each team. one team goes to one side of the pool and the other team goes to the other side of the pool. The first team thinks of a movie, tv show, or celebrity. They give clues and wait for hte other team to guess, once the other team guesses, you race to the other side, whoever gets there first wins that round.

I cant think of the name of hte game, it was some sort of candy i think like "bubblegum" or something haha.

Great chapter as always! I can't wait for more, its so GREAT to read this because Me (20) my cousin Michael [whos more like my best friend/brother (21) and my other cousin Kara (17) are going to the Wilderness Lodge in 46 days!! It's Karas first time, but between Michael and myself our favorite park is EPCOT! So i really enjoyed this chapter.

Also, was Mary Poppins on the times guide?? Having my picture taken with her is like my dream!!
That does sound like the same game. Ours was probably a modified version as we usually only played it together on hot lazy days at home where we would be hanging out in the pool all day. There was only the three of us so it had to be the one vs the two.

How cool that you are so close to your cousins. I have two sets of cousins but there is a large age gap between us all and we all live so far apart that we don't really know each other that well. One set of cousins from my dads side of the family live out in Vancouver and they are in their 30's and the other set of cousins this time on my moms side are in elementary school and live in Ohio. I get to see my family in Ohio once or twice a year but I have not seen my family out in Vancouver in almost 8 years.

As for Mary Poppins no she was not on the times guide. Very few of the characters that show up in the World Showcase are on it. I think out of all the characters we saw there throughout the trip the only ones I remember being on the card were Belle and the Beast and Aladdin. England almost always has characters out though. If you don't se any out on the street take a look inside the Toy Store as there is a character greeting spot in the back.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #108
disgram
DIS Veteran

Am enjoying your TR! We are going in August and so this is like a precurser to ours. Last year, in August, we were able to see, Belle, Beast, Sleeping Beauty between France and England, and then over in Morracco, in the back, we lucked out and had both Alladin and Jasmine and then Genie came out!!!! That was great! There were few people there when he came out as they had all gotten their pics and autographs of Alladin and Jasmine and had moved off!!!!! Sometimes, you get lucky!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #109
armychap
Ready to Go!

enjoying the report... looking forward to the next installment.

PAST VISITS (a lot)!
Sep 1984 - WDW (first visit - I was 5!); Jun 1988 - WDW (off-site); Oct 1989 - Disneyland (on-site - resort?); Dec 1991 - Disneyland (off-site); Jul 1992 - WDW (off-site); Jul 1994 - WDW (off-site); Aug 1995 - Tokyo Disneyland (off-site); Aug-Dec 1998 - WDW Disney College Program (MK); Jan 1999 - WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (New Years); May 2001 - Disneyland (off-site); Apr 2003 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club); Sep 2003 - WDW All Star Sports (rescheduled honeymoon - my DH loves sports so it was a perfect theme!); May 08, 2006 - WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; May 13, 2006 - 7-night Eastern Cruise (Magic); Sep 2007 - WDW All Star Sports; Jul 2009 - Port Orleans/All Star Sports; Oct 2009 - Animal Kingdom Villas; Mar 2010 - Boardwalk Villas.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #110
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgram View Post
Am enjoying your TR! We are going in August and so this is like a precurser to ours. Last year, in August, we were able to see, Belle, Beast, Sleeping Beauty between France and England, and then over in Morracco, in the back, we lucked out and had both Alladin and Jasmine and then Genie came out!!!! That was great! There were few people there when he came out as they had all gotten their pics and autographs of Alladin and Jasmine and had moved off!!!!! Sometimes, you get lucky!!!!
Sounds like you really lucked out on the characters You must be getting excited as your trip is almost here. Are you going to be writing a trip report for all us Dis addicts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armychap View Post
enjoying the report... looking forward to the next installment.
Thanks for reading, glad you are enjoying it so far. Next update will be out tonight!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #111
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Our Fantasmic Night At MGM

Day Three Part Three

After our fun in the pool we headed back up to the room to get ready for our night at MGM. We had 8:00pm ADR's at Mama Melrose and we were planning on going to the second showing of Fantasmic at 10:30 so this was going to be a late night for us!

We arrived at MGM and were able to grab a parking spot fairly close to the front but all the way at the end of the row which was not a big deal as we don't mind walking.

Once we were in the park I spotted a photopass photographer and dragged the family over for a picture. Not that great of a picture so I'm not going to post it as we have another picture in the same spot later on in the trip.

Erich then said he wanted to find an ATM as he had already blown through most of the spending money he had brought down ($250) No idea where he spent it all and so quickly. He did buy a lot of t-shirts though and at $20+ each that could make his money fly out of his wallet pretty quickly.

We had 50 minutes to kill until our ADR so we wandered around checking things out. We spotted the Snow White and Dopey topiaries. Alek and Erich were shocked. I will leave it to you to figure out what they thought was so disturbing. You will most likely need to put yourself in the mindset of a teenage boy to figure it out.

They then spotted some ducks. They were all about the ducks on this trip. They always wanted pictures of the ducks.

We then made our way over to Mama Melrose. Alek and Erich got shot down outside Star Tours. I guess it will just be Mom and I at dinner tonight.

We still had about 30 minutes so we checked out the Muppets store which was right across from the restaurant. Here are some pictures of the store.

Next we wandered back into the Toy Story area where I assume they do the meet and greets. It was deserted at this time of night though. Mom relaxed on a bench while we looked around.

It was almost 8 so we went to the restaurant to check in. They let us check in 15 minutes early and told us to wait in the lobby and our name would be called when our table was ready. They do not give out buzzers here so you do actually need to stay in the lobby or you may miss your name being called. It was jam packed in that little lobby and there are almost no sitting areas. Alek and Erich checked out all the celebrity photos that are hung on the wall.

They then decided to pose with the statuary

Erich claims he was trying to look like the statue.

A family of four that was seated at the bar got called to their table so we were able to grab seats.

Alek and Erich eagerly awaiting dinner with mom looking very tired in the background. We were starving at this point.

We were finally seated just after 8 which I guess I can not complain about as the ADR was for 8. They really do need a bigger waiting area for that restaurant or they should give out buzzers so that people can at least step outside instead of all being crammed into the little area.

We enjoyed our dinner for the most part. The food was good although I would probably order a different entree next time (I ordered the Four Cheese Flatbread) I think it was the sauce I did not care for. It was not bad by any means I would just try something different next time. The hazelnut cheesecake that I got for dessert was very good though. Before we left Alek and Erich had to get their picture taken with our waiter Cy.

When we walked out of the restaurant we felt as though we were in the twilight zone. The park was completely deserted. There was nobody around. It was cool and creepy at the same time.

We went to see the Muppets show which was about to start. We unfortunately missed the pre-show. There were maybe 5 other people in that theatre so it was like we had the place to ourselves. The show was cute and funny but you could definitely tell its age.

Next we wandered onto the Streets of America where once again there was nobody.

I like Alek's devil eyes in this picture. My photo editing software would not remove the red eye.

Alek and Erich creeped out about the empty park

Once again Alek has devil eyes.

Onc we got to Sunset Boulevard we found the crowds. The first showing of Fantasmic had just let out so they were all pouring out of the theatre and exiting the park. We made our way over to the theatre and joined the mob that was waiting to be let in for the second show.

Once we got let in the crowd disappeared. The theatre was maybe only half full by the time the show started. Here we are waiting for Fantasmic to start.

We loved this show. It was our favourite nighttime show of the whole trip and we really enjoyed going to the second show as we did not need to wait in line for an hour just to get a seat and there was lots of room in the theatre as it was not crowded at all so we were able to spread out instead of being smushed together.

I tried taking pictures but they did not really turn out so I switched to video which was a lot better. Here are some random pictures from the show. Sorry about the poor quality.

UPDATE: I thought I would add in a few of the video clips that I took with my camera for those of you who have never seen the show.

This first one is of the opening with Mickey

This next one is of a Pocahantas scene in the first half and then the princesses in the second half

And this last clip is of the Evil Queen from Snow White brewing up trouble for Mickey

Alek was amazed by the show. He wished that we could see it again every night for the rest of the week.

After the show we popped into the Villains Store and we were not very impressed. It was mostly Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise. We enjoy that movie but we were hoping for more variety in the store.

We headed back to the car and then on back to the lodge where we quickly fell asleep after our long and active day.

If you are able to go to MGM on a night when there are two showing of Fantasmic I would take advantage of it as you get to enjoy the empty park and the walk on attractions. I wish that I had made an earlier ADR so that we could have fit in more rides after dinner.

Up next Our Totally Radical Morning at Typhoon Lagoon

Day Four Part One

Last edited by Lifelong_Dreamer; 08-08-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #112
klj27
DIS Veteran

another great update! Which night of the week were you at Fantasmic? We went on Tuesday the third. I agree that the second show is definately the way to go.

"It's all good!"

'95 - Day Trip from Tampa : '97 - Villas at the Disney Institute : '98 - Boardwalk Villa : '00 - Downtown Disney : '02 - Downtown Disney : '03 - Downtown Disney : '05 - Port Orleans Riverside & Coronado Springs : '06 - Port Orleans Riverside, Wilderness Lodge & Vero Beach: '07 - Port Orleans Riverside : '08 - Port Orleans Riverside '10 Comort Inn LBV "11 Band Trip at the Rosen Plaza: '13 - Windsor Hills
Old 07-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #113
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I thought I posted in the beginning of your TR, but I guess I didn't. I really am enjoying reading your TR with your brothers and mom. I was starting to wonder where your mom was, since you don't mention her to much, but then you said, don't worry, she is off shopping and meeting strangers.

We missed Fantasmic, I could kick myself for missing it.

You have great pictures too.

Did you get swimmers itch from the ducks in the pools. In Wisconsin, ducks carry swimmers itch, and I don't think there is a lake that doesn't have swimmers itch-such a bummer.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #114
MissMichelle
DIS Veteran

I can't believe I'm stopping at another TR!!!

Loving it! These pictures are all so fun! Keep up the good work and I'll keep coming back for more!!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #115
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

I didn't put these in the main update but they are from the same day. I thought I would throw in some more pictures that were taken of the Wilderness Lodge lobby and grounds throughout the day.So here you go for all you Wilderness Lodge lovers!

Last edited by Lifelong_Dreamer; 07-20-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #116
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj27 View Post
another great update! Which night of the week were you at Fantasmic? We went on Tuesday the third. I agree that the second show is definately the way to go.
We were there on July 2nd which was a Monday. I totally agree on the second show, I will never go on a night with one showing if I can avoid it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
I thought I posted in the beginning of your TR, but I guess I didn't. I really am enjoying reading your TR with your brothers and mom. I was starting to wonder where your mom was, since you don't mention her to much, but then you said, don't worry, she is off shopping and meeting strangers.

We missed Fantasmic, I could kick myself for missing it.

You have great pictures too.

Did you get swimmers itch from the ducks in the pools. In Wisconsin, ducks carry swimmers itch, and I don't think there is a lake that doesn't have swimmers itch-such a bummer.
Yeah, poor mom just not as exciting or entertaining as Alek and Erich I guess. Don't worry she will be featured more in future updates as some interesting "family moments" happen.

I have never heard of this swimmers itch before so I guess we did not suffer from it The WL pool is swimmers itch free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMichelle View Post
I can't believe I'm stopping at another TR!!!

Loving it! These pictures are all so fun! Keep up the good work and I'll keep coming back for more!!
Thanks for reading and I'm glad you find my brothers antics amusing. They are funny funny guys. It was very hard for me to convince them to take the few nice family shots that we ended up with as they were always wanting to do goofy poses.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #117
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Who here is really excited for Harry Potter in only 1 hour and 20 minutes!! I will probably be so wrapped up in the book that I will do nothing else until I finish it
Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #118
Tanya90210
DIS Veteran

hehehe... the more pics I see of your brothers the more they make me giggle.. must be a riot hanging out with them....

Love the update.... I'll have to remember your fantasmic tip if we go when they have 2 shows.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #119
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya90210 View Post
hehehe... the more pics I see of your brothers the more they make me giggle.. must be a riot hanging out with them....

Love the update.... I'll have to remember your fantasmic tip if we go when they have 2 shows.

They are lots of fun to hang out with. I'm glad that we have a good relationship as I meet so many people that do not have a close relationship with their family members.

The second showing of Fantasmic is well worth staying in the parks a bit late.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #120
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

I finished Harry Potter this morning. I'm so sad that it is over now. I love those books.

I can start work on the next installment now that I'm done gobbling up the last book. It will probably be out tonight or tomorrow.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: