Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #961
Miriade
Mouseketeer

No boots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGrits View Post
We are going to WDW the middle of December. I was wondering if anyone has ever worn comfortable boots to the parks when it is cool outside? I love boots, but finding comfortable ones is a challenge. I have the traditional Uggs, but unless it is freezing at the World, I don't think these are an option.

Am I crazy even considering this?

If it is warm weather, I have my Keen Whisper sandals ..... which are the most comfortable shoes I have ever put on my feet!

I really don´t think boots are going to be needed in Dec around WDW BUT you MUST wear very conffy shoes, may it be sneakers, crocs or whatever, they need to be really confortable and already "broken"...
You can see the average high and low temperatures here:
http://************travel.com/disneyworld/weather.htm
Have a magical WDW XMas holiday!!!

Miriade

Miriade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #962
KatieCollette
Once upon a time...

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm putting together my drugstore.com order right now. Going to try out those instead cups.

Also for my hair, I always put it in braids after I take a shower at night and then use scrunching gel spray in the morning. I always bring my straighter but hardly ever use it. It's nice though to have it just in case. I already bought the body glide stuff because I cannot wear shorts and only like to wear dresses and skirts. I'll let you all know how it works.
KatieCollette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #963
bluenosemickey
Canadian in search of sun

For a hair tip I've found these great things called"spin pins" they're from a company here in Canada called Goody. Don't know if it's just here or if it's an American company. But these things are genius! They look like a DNA double helix, too geeky for you? They are the same length as a Bobby pin but it's like two of them twisted around each other but not touching.

Anyway... You twist your hair into a bun or a knot of some kind and then twist one from the top and one from the bottom and your hair stays put. No clips or pins show. If you have really thick hair, I suppose you might need three or four at the very most. But mines pretty thick and two does a good job. They are sold in pairs to match your hair color. Each one is supposed to do the job of 20 pins!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #964
Taja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catira View Post
Hoping you all have some eyeliner recommendations for me. I usually do not wear eyeliner but for MNSSHP I wanted to do a smokey eye. So I started buying some eyeliners based on reading this thread. So far all 3 have smudged and I look like I have racoon eyes. I am terrible with liquid eyeliner so I prefer a pencil.

1. MAC Technakohl liner
2. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on eyeliner
3. Revlon long wearing eyeliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel16 View Post
I would love to find one that does not smudge! Anyone ????

I wear RGP contact lenses, and almost every eyeliner runs or smudges. I've found Smashbox--both the paste and gel type--eyeliners work well. The paste--not sure that's what it's called (it's a moist cake), but it's the original liner--will run/smudge if you sweat a lot in the heat and humidity! Haven't tested the gel type (newer version) at WDW yet, but it has survived two or three summers in the Sonoran Desert! *LOL*

You do need to use their brushes with it. They're stiff, rather than soft and pliable. A bit pricey, but it's the only one that works for me!
Taja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #965
DisMomme
Waiting to go to my WDW home again...

Has anyone tried Jade and Pearl sea sponge tampons?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #966
roumic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganFyne View Post
Though I think I read the first 30 before my last trip in Feb 2010!

Beware: Long reply ahead!

Anyway Re: Divacup vs Instead. I tried instead and really didn't like, but I LOVE the diva cup. Have used it for years, feel great about being better for the environment plus not giving money to male owned company each month, just because I'm a woman!

NuvaRing: My sister had a reaction to hers that we've since found out is not uncommon - It wore an ulcer inside of her. Scary.

Monistat cream - AWESOME as a makeup base however it didn't work as well as I thought it would for it's intended purpose. I like long flow-y skirts in the summer, they keep me the coolest and will pop on some bike shorts if I'll be walking a lot, but I also found that diaper rash cream works amazingly well. There's this stuff called Butt Paste (I forget the beginning of the name off the top of my head) that works amazingly well as a barrier!

I use body glide when I'm running long distances so I'm sure It would work as well.

Moleskin save my life last trip!

Dresses/ skirts with pockets are my favorite thing.

I walk around the park with my running socks - they wick away moisture and keep you feeling great.

When I got SICK of my BF last trip (we were at CBR) I went for a swim in the quiet pool. (I also went because Journey Into Imagination's skunk smell got in my hair and I stunk for days and thought the chlorine would help - it totally did!) That 45 minutes to myself while he cooled off in the room made the rest of our trip AMAZINGLY pleasant! Also as it was Feb I got to be totally alone in the pool.

I will totally try the spray the inside of your clothes with deodorant thing. I DO need to stay away from aluminum but I know avalon organics has a spray deodorant. Since the aluminum makes me break out (my skin peels!) I use deodorant that is not an anti-perspirant - I'm a little afraid of how this is going to work in late September/ early October when it will be much warmer. Does anyone know of any brands that might help really well?

To the woman who needs a wig (with alopecia) This broke my heart. I know a girl from college with the same condition. When we met (when we were 18) she wore wigs but by the time we graduated she would either use head wraps or was brave enough to just go unashamedly out. She keeps sure to keep her head covered in winter or covered with spf in summer. I also had a male roommate with the same - so he doesn't have as much to deal with.

Shifting gears - does anyone bring a nook/kindle into the parks for entertainment whilst waiting in line? How do you keep it safe (and dry?) I love love love my nook!

If you bring bare minerals on a carry-on bag on a plane, do you have to put them in the same bag as your small sized liquids/gels? I've kept it in that bag in the past, but would like a little more room...

I can't wait until my next trip! My first solo trip ever (until my baby bro joins me a a few days in)
Boudreaux's Butt Paste might be what you are thinking of. It is very popular here in Louisiana.
roumic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #967
roumic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfood4ursoul View Post

I am a deoderant-under-the-girls kinda gal myself...
what I have found is that not all products agree with my skin.

I was using Dove or Sauve anti/deodorant and it was fine,
bought Secret and now can no longer use it under there because
my skin becomes really itchy- no bumps, just really itchy...
probably just peculiar to me

So now I'm back to Dove and hope it will work better...

Sometimes it's not the product, but that specific name brand product that gives troube... try another brand...

I have the same problem with my underarms. I have found that I can only use suave - the active ingredient is different in suave than in degree, secret or the other more expensive deodorants. Good thing my armpits have cheap taste.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #968
roumic
Earning My Ears

I live in the humid south and I'm looking for everyday hair care products. Can anyone recommend something for thick, wavy to curly, medium length hair? For park days and weekends it is ponytails and hats but That doesn't cut it at work.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #969
yrdlyprincess
DIS Veteran

I am really liking the living proof line...we will see how well it works in a few days when I am down there!

Hubby and the kids will pack and plan--ok maybe just pack!

yrdlyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #970
Angel16
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Mouseketeer

Bumping up
Old 11-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #971
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

I can tell you what NOT to pack (after learning the hard way)Don't take brand spanking new razors to shave with!! I really cut up my ankle one trip...didn't even notice it until the shower water was pink...and of course it wouldn't stop bleeding. I also pack snak bags with a variety of OTC meds, creams, bandaids, etc so we don't have to buy any at the resorts huge markup. Since I have very short hair, I've also learned to schedule a cut about two weeks before the trip so it's in the easiest care stage and styles nicely with a little Fructis surf paste. Sunglasses and/or a visor is a must too.
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #972
elleavon
Earning My Ears

Awesome thread!

I read the entire dang thing and I've gotten some great tips I'll try out on my first trip to WDW this February. I've also gotten a lot of great general beauty tips and lady tricks I can't wait to experiment with!
elleavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #973
Lee23
Earning My Ears

Smile

Whew! Finished it! That was a marathon - in a good way though

One thing I do that I didn't see mentioned is a tip for those of us who use a pump facial moisturizer. I hate to bring it with me on a plane or long car trip. It always seems to be the one thing that leaks. I've put it in its own bag in the past, but even then I end up losing so much of the expensive product because it invariably eeks out.

I use a small snack-size ziploc bag and pump as many days worth that I'll need into the corner of the bag (allowing for an extra pump or two for possible sunburn). When I need to use it, I just stick my (clean)finger in and voila!

I've never run out of moisturizer using this trick and I no longer waste half a bottle because the pump won't seal up right.

Has anyone heard of Baby Magic Cream-to-Powder? I picked this up the other day at Wal-Mart. I was looking for the Monistat chafing gel, but couldn't find it. This was near the butt-paste line.

It seems like the same idea as the Monistat stuff... any thoughts?

1984 Off Property; 1987 Off Property; 1991 CBR; 1992-94 FL Resident (monthly visits); 1999 Poly; 2001 POR; 2004 Poly; 2006 Poly; 2011 ASMu; 2012 Off Property
Lee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #974
FiveBoys
Earning My Ears

I love this thead! I've picked up some great info!

OK, as a mom to a lot of little kids, I have spent a lot of time at Disney pregnant or breastfeeding. So, my tips involve the lucky women who are walking around at this time in their lives!

Pregnancy, we all know that our bodies really like to screw with us at this time, take care of yourself. First and foremost, stay hydrated! You have to drink A LOT when you are growing a baby even without the added exercise and exposure to the heat you get at Disney. Dehydrating can trigger preterm labor. Keep a bottle of water with you and sip, sip, sip. Besides all the other wonderful things that happen to your body, there is an increase in *uhm* discharge. Especially during the hot months a panty liner will help keep you dry and comfortable. If you are still experiencing morning sickness, avoid rides that include smells, ie: Stitch's Great Escape, your stomach will thank you. Don't overdo it, expect to take breaks. Especially later in your pregnancy, you are hauling around extra weight and it really does make a difference.

Breastfeeding, Disney has some great baby rooms that are supposed to be very comfortable for nursing and diaper changing, or just giving the little ones some quiet time. I've never actually used them, but I've heard great things. I have nursed my little ones EVERYWHERE, seriously. In lines, on rides, sitting on benches, even walking around. I have not once gotten a dirty look or negative comment. In fact, I'm quite certain most of the time nobody has a clue what is going on. Ring slings and wraps are wonderful baby carriers that are easy to nurse in and double as a cover. I'm a die hard wrapper and can easily adjust my little one to nurse completely discretely without taking him out. Nursing pads are a big one if you are an overproducer like me. I prefer the reusable pads because they are more eco friendly and they don't have any plastic in them so they breath better. In a pinch, I also found out that sanitary pads make great nursing pads and are MUCH more absorbent than regular pads. Just cut them into smaller pieces, the only caveat is that you need to use them with padded bras to keep them from showing. They keep you drier and are therefore less irritating! To keep your milk production up, you need to keep hydrated just as you did during pregnancy and up your calorie intake. Cutting calories while doing a lot physical activity can give you problems.

I will be watching this thread for more great info, I'm so glad I found the DISboards!

Last edited by FiveBoys; 11-30-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling
FiveBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #975
DisMomme
Waiting to go to my WDW home again...

I've never had this happen before but on my last trip my nail polish leaked. Thanks goodness I packed it in a zip lock baggie. It was a mess! So my tip is to pack all make-up, nail polish, moisturizer, sunscreen, etc in a zip-lock bag.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: