Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #61
TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth. Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day....

makeup / skincare / tanning?
Makeup: I only use a face powder instead of a liquid foundation for hot weather (Clinique has a great one called Superpowder Double Face Makeup that I think works great for me). And waterproof mascara & eyeliner to prevent smudging that occurs from sweating/water rides. Skincare: I always wash my face in the a.m. & p.m. with a mild face soap, then toner & "light" moisturizer.

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes?
Clothing: I always wear light cotton capris. I've never had a chaffing problem wearing them & they don't "rideup" (I am a plus size gal). And tank tops & t-shirts are the norm. Shoes: I've always worn New Balance tennis shoes with a cotton/polyester blend sock. In my previous visits to WDW I have never gotten a blister. (I tried Crocs, and they hurt my feet, I guess they are not for me.

What are your *essentials* when packing for WDW?
As previous posters have said I do bring moleskin just in case. Also, bandaids, sunblock, ibuprofen for a sore back from walking all day, Curell antibacterial hand wash because we are touching a lot of things other people are too.

How do you manage your hair? ( that florida humidity and heat is so unforgiving! Speaking of...)
I have naturally wavy/curly hair so I tend to use a product that carries a line specifically for that type of hair. My favorite is Redken (as previously mentioned), I use the entire "Fresh Curls" line. Shampoo, Conditioner, styling lotion (very sparingly), then blow dry upside down or with a diffuser. Once it's dry I complete with the "Curl Boost" which helps keep a cute curl/wave and then finish with a firm hairspray. And ladies with straight hair, I've seen some women put their hair in ponytails & add a tiara, it's so cute! (just my opinion)

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?
Drink lots of water and try to stay away from caffeinated soda, it dehydrates you. When your body is properly hydrated you can tolerate the heat much better. Try to visit attractions that have air conditioning intermittently throughout your day.

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!?
Tampons & a pad together will be most convenient(during heavy times). And as previous posters have said, bring along wipes to help keep you feeling fresh!

How do you deal with the men folk / children / even other women!
Your in Walt Disney World, "the happiest place on earth"! Don't sweat the small stuff, remember your on vacation, enjoy it & feel the magic ! Take those afternoon breaks whether you have kids or not, we all need a rest. And that pool back at your resort is soooo refreshing.

How do you plan for your trip?
I spend tons of time on the Dis, need I say more?

How do you save money on your vacation?
We only stay in a level of resort we can afford. We also save up our food & souvenier money ahead of time so we don't come home with an outstanding balance on our credit card. Oh yea, the Disney Visa Card really helps save money by earning Disney dollars (we will have enough to purchase a 7-day park hopper pass this year! )

what are your strategies for the parks / what rides / shows / parades?
We try to take advantage of EMH's, and get lots of tips from fellow Dis'ers on park strategies here on the boards. Use FASTPASS, it allows you to enjoy more attractions in a shorter amount of time.

your strategies for the bus lines and transportation?
We always use Disney transportation. The biggest tip is to allow plenty of time to get from point A to point B. Enough said.

what resorts do you choose and why?
We always like to try someplace new and in the price range we can afford for the time we plan the trip for.

why do you take your magical vacation?
Because we love WDW!! It lets us forget about the real world for a while and makes us feel like kids again!

I hope these tips help out, and I hope everyone has a magical time at Disney!!

POP Century-2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge-2007; Caribbean Beach-2004; Off grounds-2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings)-2001; All-Star Movies-1999; All-Star Sports-1998

Last edited by TKDisneylover; 07-29-2007 at 08:51 AM.
TKDisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #62
Rustysmom
DIS Veteran

About that time of the month, I love my Diva Cup! I don't always wear it because sometimes it's a pain to get in, but I always wear it when I go somewhere and great if you want to go swimming.

I'm really really hoping that I don't have to worry about it this trip. Aunt Flo is here now so if I'm lucky, the old hag will come again right before we head to WDW next month. I told my DH that he better hope she's early because I get really cranky anyway and if you add in the heat and humidity and lines down there, well, then he won't want to be around me.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #63
garnet1240
Please stand clear of the doors.....

Clothing: I always wear light cotton capris.

I love light cotton capris, BUT, I've had a hard time this year finding any. Can I ask where/if you have found any this year?

Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #64
winniethepoohsmom
DIS Veteran

I almost hate to ask but what is a diva cup?
winniethepoohsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #65
TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth. Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet1240 View Post
I love light cotton capris, BUT, I've had a hard time this year finding any. Can I ask where/if you have found any this year? Thanks!!
I purchased mine at Kohl's Department Store. They are available online also at kohls.com if you don't have a Kohl's in your area. The brand name is Erika.

POP Century-2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge-2007; Caribbean Beach-2004; Off grounds-2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings)-2001; All-Star Movies-1999; All-Star Sports-1998
TKDisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #66
DarthKTrava
Carolina Panthers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepoohsmom View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do for those red bump you get in certain places after shaving? How many bras's do you pack? I'm not used to going to FL. in the summer so I'm thinking I'll need a bra a day, or maybe 2, I'd hate to go back soaking wet get changed for a swim and put that sweaty bra back on for the evening, with clean clothes. I figure I'll be washing them out in the sink every night and giving them overnight to dry. Linda

I take 2 bras along on vacation. Never know when you'll have a "bra malfunction"....

I take along Advil and Tylenol for pain.

If I have to deal with my period, then I take along pads for that....

I don't have to deal with hair frizz as mine's straight and then I have it cut short.

I wear shorts while on vacation and don't really have to deal with chafing. I have that more of a prob with my work uniform pants.

Disney's the only place where I don't worry about the sun... it's the only time I get a tan all year long... I don't burn easily as I have a darker complexion (being part hispanic and indian, mixed with caucasian helps!)

I take along baby powder to apply under the ****s and also in that "roll of fat" under the stomach (those of us plus size gals know all about that! :wink so they won't sweat and smell.

I third the query about the "diva cup".

Last edited by DarthKTrava; 07-29-2007 at 06:09 PM.
DarthKTrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #67
Julianna07
Mouseketeer

Diva Cup. I wasn't sure either, but I googled it
www dot divacup dot com

It's an alternative to pads and tampons that is a "cup" you insert that fills during your cycle and you remove 2-4 times a day wash with soap and water and reinsert. The site has a lot more information about the cup obviously.

I think I may have to look into it. Beats having to spend the extra money every month for "supplies"
Back2Back on the Wonder Dec 7-12 2014 and Dec 12-17 2014
Julianna07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #68
DarthKTrava
Carolina Panthers Fan

Not to mention the inconvenience.... which is, IMO, the worst part of the period.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #69
WDW Poly Princess
Needs a Disney Fix
Cannot, under any circumstances, say no to a glazed Krispy Kreme
Let's just hope that I never get drunk and end up with Snape tattooed on my butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysmom View Post
About that time of the month, I love my Diva Cup! I don't always wear it because sometimes it's a pain to get in, but I always wear it when I go somewhere and great if you want to go swimming.
I've gotta second that! Best invention ever!

I also want to second the Lush shampoo/conditioner recommendation! I save the last pieces of solid shampoos to take on vacation- that way, there's nothing to bring back home! (Plus, a little chunk of shampoo takes up WAY less space than a bottle!) Lush even has a store at MCO!

I've been thinking of trying that "Model in a bottle" stuff that's supposed to set your makeup so that it stays on all day- has anyone else tried it? A model friend also recommended "Make Up Forever" foundation, saying it stayed on great under hot runway lights- I'm wondering if it would be good for WDW, too? At a place where I'm taking hundreds of photos a day, it would be nice to look good!

But Why is the Rum Gone? The Disneyween Trip ~*~No Day But Today- January 2007 Report

May 2000 - Poly & DCL * May 2001-WL, PO-R & ASMo * Dec 2001- PO-R, AKL, Poly, and WL * Nov 2002 -ASMu,Poly and PO-R * Dec 2004- ASMu, WL, PO-FQ, Poly, and PO-R * Dec 2005- ASMu, OKW and the Swan * Feb 2006- Pop Century * Jan 2007- ASMu, WL, AKL and BCV* Oct 2007-AS Sp,OKW, BCV, POR * Dec 2007- Gave up and moved there!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
WDW Poly Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #70
DisneyBride'03
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Balcony was great!
The closest I get to "camping" is the campfire!

I find it easy to ponytail the hair....one of my basball caps (disney,other travel destinations...really not BB!! lol) this protects from the sun as well! Nothing fun abt a sunburn on your scalp, been there dont that.
Then fun in the pool and dont have to worry abt it getting wet....perhaps some product in it for later in the evening.

I use a tinted moisturizer for face with a spf....lipbalm for shine and protection..and mascara.
Teva sandals....have DH carry the packback and I just got a new Coach Swingpack for essentails
***runDisney***2010 Inaugural Wine & Dine Half~ 2011 WDW Half~2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 Princess Half~2012 Disneyland Half~2012 Wine & Dine Half~ 2013 Princes Half~2013 Inaugural Dumbo Dare~2013 Wine/Dine

Upcoming: Aulani Feb 2014

1980 Poly~2003 Poly~2003 Poly Fairy Tale Wedding/Grand Floridian~2007 Pop~2007 YC CL DVC Owners ~2007 SSR~2008 BWV/DCL/AKV~2008 OKW~2008 SSR/WL~2008 ASMu/AKV~2009 VWL/BCV~2009 BLT/Swan/Kidani~2009 POFQ/AKL~2010 SSR~ 2010 YC CL/AKV~2011 POFQ~2011 Sports & OKW~2011 Kidani & BCV~ 2011 POFQ ~ 2012 BCV~2012 DL Hotel~2012 BLT/AKV~2013 OKW/BCV~2013 DL Hotel~2013 Pop/SSR
DisneyBride'03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #71
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Great idea for a thread!

Well, since we're all getting real here, I'd like to share that I will never go to WDW without packing some Colace (stool softener) in my little first aid kit.

I don't know whether it's the "vacation food", the excitement, a little dehydration, or what, but it seems that I always wind up getting somewhat constipated when I'm at WDW! I hate that bloated feeling! Yuck!

Some guy on another thread found that the same thing always happened to him and he joked that he thought Disney put something in the food so that you'd spend less time in the bathroom and more time in the gift shops!

This year I think that I will pack a hair dryer, even though the resort has them. I normally use an ionizing hair dryer at home and when I use the driers at Disney, my hair frizzes up no matter what the time of year!

As far as makeup, I just go very minimalistic...mascara and blusher; usually just lip balm, not lipstick, in the parks. We don't go during the summer months, so moisturizer with SPF 15 usually does the trick for me.

I prefer the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel to the Body Glide because it has a nice, powder-dry feel to it after it's applied.

Everyone says 100% cotton underwear/bras "breathe", but in reality, once they get damp they stay damp. Cotton/poly blends are actuallly better for wicking away moisture. I like to use sports or "technical" underwear/bras at WDW. (Just get light-support sport bras...not the kind that hold you in a vise!)

I'll be checking back regularly; I've read some great tips here!

Kathy
KathyRN137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #72
reservations4five
wishing on that disney star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Great idea for a thread!

Well, since we're all getting real here, I'd like to share that I will never go to WDW without packing some Colace (stool softener) in my little first aid kit.

Kathy
the colace must be a nurse thing I too never vaction without it now, best decision I have ever made in the last 5 vacations, I also pack my medicines like

childrens tylenol/motrin (helps with achy little ones at bedtime from all the walking and exercise they get)
imodium
tylenol and IBP for the adults
benedryl (allergies from mold or if you are like me I have a hard time sleeping on vacation also)
neosporin- not only good for cuts but I also use it on my girls (ages 5) for red bottoms from being in a wet suit all the time. helps cut down on UTI's for them they are super susceptible in the summer time.
Midol or PMS meds if I am anywhere close to having my period.

thats all I can think of right at the moment
Old 07-30-2007, 05:23 AM   #73
corgi_monster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianna07 View Post
Diva Cup. I wasn't sure either, but I googled it
www dot divacup dot com

It's an alternative to pads and tampons that is a "cup" you insert that fills during your cycle and you remove 2-4 times a day wash with soap and water and reinsert. The site has a lot more information about the cup obviously.
I wonder if there are every any "spillage" or um, overflow problems? Just curious!
March 2014 - Paris Disneyland Resort, Sept 2012 - Tokyo Disney Resort, Jan '12 - WDW, July '10 Disneyland, May '10 Tokyo Disney Resort, Aug '09 - Disneyland, June '08 Disneyland, Dec '07 - WDW, Sept '07 - WDW, Jan '07 - Disneyland, Sept. '06 - WDW Feb. '06 - Disneyland, Sept. '05 - Hong Kong DL, and many, many prior trips to DL!
corgi_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #74
Rustysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgi_monster View Post
I wonder if there are every any "spillage" or um, overflow problems? Just curious!
I've never had any. Your period looks like a lot of blood and stuff when it's on a pad, but actually it isn't. TMI ahead---I had the Diva cup in for about 6 hours yesterday and when I took it out, it was only half full, and that was a heavy day for me. I've gone 8 hours before taking it out and it still wasn't full.

The only spillage problems there might be is if you want to change it in a public bathroom, which can be a little tricky because you're not right by the sink to wash it out and wash your hands. A good idea is to bring a bottle of water in with you to rinse it off.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #75
RoseNJ
Mouseketeer

I also use that Monistat anti-chafing ointment on my inner thighs when I wear a skirt. It is a great preventative in humid weather to keep moist thighs from chafing. I also bring for my guys a tube of balmex diaper rash ointment. My DH and DS (now 10) don't have chafing problems, except when we go to WDW. A little bit of ointment on inner thighs or other areas that men have that can chafe that women don't keeps everyone happy on vacation.
RoseNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: