Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
jcano
Mouseketeer
 
jcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: 680 miles from the Magic
Posts: 329

Need help getting my husband to chill...

We have 270 some days to go, and he is constantly obsessing about our touring plan, how to work the EMH and ADRs, and (need I say it?) FP+. Help!
__________________
We travel gluten-free with insulin on board!

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
jcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray
 
ToddyLu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Drop Off
Posts: 5,159

Embrace the Planner...he senses the magic.

I could also send him a copy of my Excel Planning Spreadsheet
__________________
DH Me kissing DH Trinity
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
Jeepin Dad
Mouseketeer
 
Jeepin Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oxford PA
Posts: 154

Sounds about normal to me!!

My wife has learned to just back away and let me do my thing, she just asks that before we leave on a trip to let her know what we are doing each day. Our upcoming Disney trip is pretty much planned but I'm still working on 10 or 11 camping trips for the year, I currently have four of them booked.
Jeepin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
jcano
Mouseketeer
 
jcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: 680 miles from the Magic
Posts: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
Embrace the Planner...he senses the magic. I could also send him a copy of my Excel Planning Spreadsheet
Noooooooo.
__________________
We travel gluten-free with insulin on board!

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
jcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!
 
dvc at last !'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York State
Posts: 2,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcano View Post
We have 270 some days to go, and he is constantly obsessing about our touring plan, how to work the EMH and ADRs, and (need I say it?) FP+. Help!
I think I like him....
I love to plan..our wdw trip is 233 days !
__________________
'95-ASM~'97-CR~'02-GF~'06-SSR~'06-OKW~
'07-OKW~'07-BWV~'08-OKW~'09-HHI~'09-BLT~
'10-BCV'11-BCV~'11-VWL
'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~
dvc at last ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Kpskyman
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 242

We still don't know when we are returning to the magic, but we constantly talk about it and plan for it. It is part of the fun. My 7 year old DD even gets into it. In our house, you can never plan too early or too much !!!!
Kpskyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
supergoofy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: california
Posts: 437

I love your husband(Ps I am a husband just like him)


Sunday is our 180 mark which means ADR time.


Last week I was off work for 2 days and you can imagine what I did.


Like others said embrace it. Maybe try sitting down and telling him you are excited but its so far out that stuff may change. Maybe arrange one day a week for updates and as it gets closer make time for more meetings.


I know I am the over planner as WDW is costing so much and we are a diverse family as me, DW, DD 16, DDBFF 16, DS 10 and DD 10 are going. So to find stuff for kids, adults, teens and boy and girls is a lot.
supergoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
tina.tina
DIS Veteran
 
tina.tina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 1,158

In my house, I'm the planner and DH is not as interested in advance planning as I would like for him to be.

You could set aside a little time each week to "meet" with him about WDW and tell him you just don't want to talk about it the rest of the week.

Think about it as his hobby and maybe it will be easier to understand why he's so focused. At least he's not a hoarder!

He's probably just as irritated that you're not obsessed.
tina.tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
texasroni75
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 351

Sound like ME! (I'm currently planning out our meals for our 2015 trip LOL)! DH rolls his eyes at my over-planning, but he knows that once we get there, I relax and go with the flow much more than my over-planning would seem to indicate. For many of us planners - much of the fun is in the planning. When I'm making my lists it's almost as if I'm a "little bit AT Disney" already!

If your plans are like a "wish list" and not a "If we don't do everything exactly as planned on this list I will lose my mind", then it's all good. Definitely have a sit down just to make sure it's all realistic. DH needs to remember that plans can't be set in stone though to avoid meltdowns when reality throws bumps your way. It's ok to modify it even after you get there, and it's good to miss things so you can have an excuse to go again!
__________________
Joanie - Mom of Four Awesome Kids

DD(19) - DD(12) - DS(9) - DS(2)

Booked at All-Star Music - September 2014!!!

All-Star Movies - Jan 1999, Coronado Springs - Feb 2001, All-Star Sports - March 2002, Port Orleans Riverside - March 2005, Port Orleans Riverside - March 2009, Port Orleans Riverside - December 2009, All-Star Movies - September 2013
texasroni75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
tina.tina
DIS Veteran
 
tina.tina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 1,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroni75 View Post
Sound like ME! (I'm currently planning out our meals for our 2015 trip LOL)! DH rolls his eyes at my over-planning, but he knows that once we get there, I relax and go with the flow much more than my over-planning would seem to indicate. For many of us planners - much of the fun is in the planning. When I'm making my lists it's almost as if I'm a "little bit AT Disney" already!

If your plans are like a "wish list" and not a "If we don't do everything exactly as planned on this list I will lose my mind", then it's all good. Definitely have a sit down just to make sure it's all realistic. DH needs to remember that plans can't be set in stone though to avoid meltdowns when reality throws bumps your way. It's ok to modify it even after you get there, and it's good to miss things so you can have an excuse to go again!
Very good post!
tina.tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
KaLyn
DIS Veteran
 
KaLyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: About 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 1,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcano View Post
We have 270 some days to go, and he is constantly obsessing about our touring plan, how to work the EMH and ADRs, and (need I say it?) FP+. Help!
I think it's normal. I've been doing it since August, 262 days before our arrival.
__________________


Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
minnie1012
DIS Veteran
 
minnie1012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 1,165

Tell him to call me, I could use a sounding board since my husband never wants to talk about it! We could compare notes! LOL

We are at like 178 and I'm obsessing the ADR's I made, what days to go where, magic band colors, fast passes etc. I finally got him to look at the magic band colors! I'm not even sure he requested the week off of work yet!

I'm a first born child, type A personality, I can't stop!!!!!!
minnie1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
tina.tina
DIS Veteran
 
tina.tina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 1,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie1012 View Post
Tell him to call me, I could use a sounding board since my husband never wants to talk about it! We could compare notes! LOL

We are at like 178 and I'm obsessing the ADR's I made, what days to go where, magic band colors, fast passes etc. I finally got him to look at the magic band colors! I'm not even sure he requested the week off of work yet!

I'm a first born child, type A personality, I can't stop!!!!!!
I found out just a couple of years ago that my DH asked off for the day of our wedding the night before we got married

He asked off. They said "Sure, are you doing anything special?" DH: "Getting married." Them:
tina.tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
minnie1012
DIS Veteran
 
minnie1012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 1,165

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina.tina View Post

I found out just a couple of years ago that my DH asked off for the day of our wedding the night before we got married

He asked off. They said "Sure, are you doing anything special?" DH: "Getting married." Them:
Oh boy!! Funny now but not if you then!
minnie1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire
 
Shelly F - Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Erie Shore Line in Ohio
Posts: 6,576

Sounds like your DH needs to join us here on the boards.
__________________
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas-Please stand clear of the doors.


CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 02-23-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.