Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #31
burly
DIS Veteran

I'm in. On the ride. For the long haul. Today is Monday Right? holidays throw me off. so tonight? another trippette? can't wait.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #32
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
Thanks for helping me De-Lurk.

Mike

Last edited by Backstage_Gal; 05-28-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Hi Smidgy!! :wave2:
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #33
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Gentlemen! Start your Engines!

I know this is going to sound really egotistical, but when your doing an autobiographical trip report in the first person, it's going to sound that way. If it doesn't, you're doing something wrong.

But I need to talk about me some more, especially right before we left.

I have prescriptions for blood pressure meds and painkillers for my bad foot. I wouldn't even consider going down without any of them.

Especially the painkillers.

Vicodin.

Extra strength.

More often than not, though, the vikes get used for my back. My dirty stinkin , lousy back.

The problem here on this trip, is that you can only refill prescriptions so often. A 30 day script can only be refilled after a bout 26 days. The insurance won't cover it, and the pharmacy shakes there head and gives you the "shame, shame shame" thing with their fingers.

As much as I like to drive, driving exasperates my back. I won't even consider driving down without the vikes.
Only problem is, I"m down to ten. With a week to go, and can't be refilled for at least ten days.

And my back went out.
Bending over at work to rinse off my hands at this stupid , circular sink that kind of shoots out all these little streams of water .

A German Shepherd lifting his leg could have rinsed my hands off faster.
So, I leaned over to get more little streams, and , "POP" goes the Nebo.

The next three days were spent in panic and misery, I couldn't straighten, and the "saved" pk's kept calling me. I got a few from some friends, lesser ones, and they helped. When you're not in so much pain, you ease up, untighten, and the back heals much faster. And I had to hit into my saved pile too. She was thinking of cancelling, before we would lose all deposits.

I couldn't even take off work, not with a vacation coming up. So I bared it and prayed.

It made a tremendous improvement the day before we left, and we happilly packed. I am nervous though, all I have to get down there on is 3 extra strengths, 3 regular, and 3 useless Darvocets.

And a whole ton of Ibuprofen.

Refills are not forthcoming until Monday, when we are at the Hard Rock.
I had even called down, and found out there was a Walgreen's near Universal. YES!

Friday morning:
"Steve, Steve, get up."

"Aw mom, I don't want to go to school today. I'm sick."

Normally, I'm the morning person, but this still isn't really morning yet. It's ten to 3. What I couldn't believe is that she was not only up, but showered and dressed and packing the cooler.

It was all I could do to find the bathroom.

Most loading was done the night before, but there's always something that you have to remember to forget to bring.

I wanted to leave at 3:30, but I was the slowpoke , and we didn't leave till 15 minutes later.
We sit in the car, in the dark, ok, have we got everything?

Then I remembered that I wanted to lower the water heater, and ran up to do it.
The one cat almost got out!

Ok, NOW, we're ready.

Just before we pulled out of the driveway, I took her hand and said a short prayer.
Then, we were off.

The prayer basically amounted to, "Dear Heavenly Father, please don't let me drive off the Smokies."

We have taken 9 Disney trips so far, driven 7 times. This ninth time, I thought we'd do it different.
We are about 40 miles NW of Chicago, the normal route is through Chicago, Indianapolis, louisville, Nashville, Chattanoogie, Atlanta, and and then Orlando.

This time the route is totally alien to us. From Indy, it's on to Cincy, then Lexingmelindaton, Knoxville, Ashville, N.C., Spartanburg, S.C., Columbia, Savannah, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona, then Orlando.

An Eastern route if you will.
I had been checking all the AAA guides and maps and I thought that if things went ok, we should be able to make this little town called Orangeburg, S.C. So , that was my goal the first day. It's just sw of Columbia.

Right here is my favorite part of the trip. The beginning of a new adventure. The promise of fun. The hopes and dreams of tomorrow.
Ok, I'll shut up now.

But 35 miles from the driveway, that's the best part.
I normally exit on St. Charles Rd.
For work.

Not this time, baby. It's the next exit I'm after. The tri-state SOUTH!

Driving trips with us are funny. Even though I'm the one behind the wheel, Diane is really the driver. She has the Atlas on her lap for almost the entire trip.

Once I punch in the cruise control, all I do is aim.

I'm the designated aimer.

I "fake" laughed hysterically when we passed St. Charles rd. , and was so glad that I put the "Ipass", toll transmitter in her car the night before, cuz I never thought about it this morning.

When we hit rt. 65 in Indiana, I told her to go to sleep, she reaches back and grabs her pillow and that's it.

Did you ever watch someone try to take a nap in the front seat of a car with the seatbelt on?

It's pretty entertaining.
There is more shuffling, moving around, moaning, groaning, "tsk tsking".
I checked to make sure her door was locked.

Don't want to lose the Atlas!

Down 65 we go. I"m smiling, sun's coming up, got the radio off, just thinking about what's coming up in the next two weeks. She wakes up in Indianoplace just in time to get me to take the eastern bypass that leads us to 74.
And on we go. I was really surprised at how nice this part of Indiana looked.

Rolling hills, forests, it's gorgeous! And it just kept getting better.
Nearing Cincinatti it was about time for the first fill-up, so we got off for gas just before cincy. We were about 5 miles away from the actual city but again, just gorgeous, mountainy countryside.

Huh?
Cincy?
I never knew.

Ok, the pit stop.
When we stop for gas, we each have our jobs, just like a pit crew.

She empties the ashtray, throws away any garbage that might have accumulated, goes to the bathroom, makes a small coffee for me, a hot tea for herself, and sometimes buys a paper.

I open the door and try to stand.

Straight.

If I achieve that, then I swipe my card and fill the dang thing up. Hopefully, at this point while it's filling, I'm not having to do the pee pee dance just yet.
But even the sound of the gas flowing through the hose.......

"I have your coffee, so, how you feeli,,,,"
"Fine, just fine, where's the John?"

Back in the car, I reset the tripp Odom. She calculated the mileage.
Crap. I expected at least 23.
Another crap was that my back was bothering me way more than it should have been . We aren't even half way to our first sojourn.

I took two more Ibuprofs. So far, I"m at 4 Ibu's, and two aspirin.
It's about quarter to ten when we pull out. And on we go.

Uh oh, can't sit here anymore. love you guys, see ya'll soon.

by the way, there will be pictures, I still have to get them put on disk and download them into Photobucket, that kinda junk. Yes, Melinda, my digital camera went along with when my high speed internet access and cell phone eloped.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #34
mmeb144

My husband KNOWS I'm a Disney Maniac
MM is the coolest!

Oh, Nebo, I can't believe that you get up at darkthirty to drive to the magic place. This is going to be fun!

I hope the painkillers take effect soon!

Mar '87 Offsite, Mar '89 Contemporary, Sept '91 CBR, Mar '92 Dolphin, Sept '97 Polynesian, Dec '00 CBR, May '03 CBR, Jan '04 WL, Oct '04 POFQ, Feb '05 WL, Dec '05 Contemporary, Feb '07 POFQ, Dec '07 CBR, June '08 Disneyland, Nov '08 Buena Vista Suites, Dec '09 CSR, Dec '10 POFQ, June '12 POFQ, Dec '13 Caribe Royale/POFQ, May '14 ASMusic

Last edited by mmeb144; 05-28-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: I'm first!
Old 05-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #35
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

This is going to be fun! Thanks for inviting me along...!!!

Heather

Old 05-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #36
katiemouse
Earning My Ears

Holy cow, what a following you have! Can't wait to read more
Old 05-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #37
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Dang Nebo, you foiled my nap plans! First Zzub, then you! I went to post a tiny edit, and up came your new report!

POP goes the NEBO? LOL

Not really funny for you, but you are funny Glad you are back!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #38
mikamah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Right here is my favorite part of the trip. The beginning of a new adventure. The promise of fun. The hopes and dreams of tomorrow.
Ok, I'll shut up now.

Hope the Ibuprofen's get you to your destination ok. My heart goes out to you and all those with back issues. It is so painful. Can't wait to hear more. Bi-weekly installments!!

FEB 2014-Princesspalooza!!! Can not wait!!!
Feb 2011-Princess half marathon trip!!!
Aug 2010-michael's surprise trip!!!
Nov '09-Pop w/Jim,Beth & Taylor!!!
Jan '09 Pop-just Michael and Mom
April '08- Pop-w/ Jane + Jessa
Dec 06- ASMusic-Michael's 1st time/5th B-day/Xmas trip w/ cousin Taylor etc.
May 2000- ecpot during work conference
April 1996-ASSp-family trip
Oct 1991- CBR-my first trip
Old 05-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #39
nanadeb
Mouseketeer

TENS to one

Nebo, Nebo, Nebo. Haven't you conned your doctor into proscribing you a TENS unit yet for your back? (TENS = Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)
(Pun warning!) It'll really give you a major buzz. O.K, so you had to have used one to get that one.
My TENS unit saved this last Disney World vacation for me. I can't take NSAIDS because I am allergic to them. Just give me half a Flexeril at night 3 nights in a row and I am in major space city. Let's not even consider Vicodin. I would prefer to be awake during my Disney trip!
All you have to do is slap on the sticky pad electrodes, connect the wires to the little box, turn it on,choose your level, and attach to your waisteband or other semi-stationary piece of clothing.
You may look like a walking home made bomb, but it fools your brain into stopping all those nasty back spasms.
Just be careful what you say when you go through security. Murmering something resembling Farsi under your breath just might get you some really special treatment.
And don't let your DW tell everyone that you are "da bomb!"
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #40
McDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
by the way, there will be pictures, I still have to get them put on disk and download them into Photobucket, that kinda junk. Yes, Melinda, my digital camera went along with when my high speed internet access and cell phone eloped.
uh oh, is he talking about that four letter F word? ya, know film?
Good stuff so far (thanks utahmomma for the kettle corn!)
Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #41
dance2874
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Driving trips with us are funny. Even though I'm the one behind the wheel, Diane is really the driver. She has the Atlas on her lap for almost the entire trip.

Once I punch in the cruise control, all I do is aim.
That is us too... He 'drives' and I tell him every turn to make. Sometimes he listens, and the rest of the time we go the wrong way.

Quote:
Did you ever watch someone try to take a nap in the front seat of a car with the seatbelt on?

It's pretty entertaining.
There is more shuffling, moving around, moaning, groaning, "tsk tsking".
Pure torture. You wan to sleep yet cant seem to get in a position that will let you truly fall all the way asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanadeb View Post
Nebo, Nebo, Nebo. Haven't you conned your doctor into proscribing you a TENS unit yet for your back? (TENS = Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)
(Pun warning!) It'll really give you a major buzz. O.K, so you had to have used one to get that one.
My TENS unit saved this last Disney World vacation for me. I can't take NSAIDS because I am allergic to them. Just give me half a Flexeril at night 3 nights in a row and I am in major space city. Let's not even consider Vicodin. I would prefer to be awake during my Disney trip!
All you have to do is slap on the sticky pad electrodes, connect the wires to the little box, turn it on,choose your level, and attach to your waisteband or other semi-stationary piece of clothing.
You may look like a walking home made bomb, but it fools your brain into stopping all those nasty back spasms.
Just be careful what you say when you go through security. Murmering something resembling Farsi under your breath just might get you some really special treatment.
And don't let your DW tell everyone that you are "da bomb!"
Those things are so cool! My chiro. hooks me up to them when I go there and they are heaven. I cant imagine being lucky enough to have my very own! My back was out for a few days last week and I would have killed for one of my own.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 AM   #42
lexmelinda
Has a Seussical googling DD
I'll remember from now on

Pop goes the Nebo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I tried to copy what I wrote but the carbon paper makes a big mess. (you kids have NO idea what carbon paper is, do you?) lexmelinda... HELP!!!!
Diane! I know all about carbon paper! I went to high school back in the dark ages when they taught classes like Typing and Shorthand. Little did we know.

RE: quoting....just click on that tiny little button with the piece of paper and the quote marks (the middle button) at the bottom of each post you want to quote. The button will turn red to indicate you are quoting. You can press as many of these buttons as you want and when you hit the "Post Reply" button, all those posts will appear in the reply window. Just edit the text inside quote brackets (which looks like this [QUOTE]) and delete everything except the part you want to quote. Then outside the quote brackets you can type your comments. I think you did a fine job without all this info BTW.
Quote:
Only the last poster was Lexmelinda. Huh? It said, " Tee Hee, I'm first" She knows how much I like Tee Hee. But, she had posted while my SCREEN was changing.
Strange woman? OK...I admit this is a little freaky. I had been gone from home almost all day Saturday watching and helping with 2 performances of my daughter's play. I got home Saturday night, sat down at the computer for the first time in many hours, went to the TR board, and there was your lonely little trip report with no posts other than yours. I thought I'd take pity and post but I didn't realize that you had only been posted it a nano-second ago! Posted that little "tee hee" thing to save my spot because there were teenagers stampeding towards the computer and I had to save myself.
Quote:
The prayer basically amounted to, "Dear Heavenly Father, please don't let me drive off the Smokies."
I have these same thoughts whenever we drive through that mountain corridor to Ashville!
Quote:
This time the route is totally alien to us. From Indy, it's on to Cincy, then Lexingmelindaton, Knoxville, Ashville, N.C., Spartanburg, S.C., Columbia, Savannah, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona, then Orlando.
Nice to know I am now synonymous with my town. Never been this way? Just wanted to check out the scenery? This is our annual route to the beach at Charleston...or at least the Lexingmelindaton to Columbia part. Beautiful...isn't it?
Quote:

Don't want to lose the Atlas!
The well has not run dry! Poor Diane!
Quote:
Yes, Melinda, my digital camera went along with when my high speed internet access and cell phone eloped.
I figured. That's OK...we'll take what we can get.

Last edited by lexmelinda; 05-29-2007 at 07:12 AM. Reason: quoting clarification
Old 05-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #43
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

"3 useless Darvocets. "

I take 1 Darvocet and I'm out for 2 days and emailing strange notes to family members!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #44
missmun52
DIS Veteran

Great Start Nebo! I cant wait to hear about Universal. I was thinking about going there or to Sea world on my upcoming trip in Sept. But I am not sure if it is worth giving up one Disney day for.

Can't wait to read more as I have enjoyed your other reports so much
Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #45
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

My dear Nebo, tsk, tsk, you forgot to mention in your introduction: Eye Candy!

Welcome back!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: