Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #316
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb23 View Post
We will be heading to Universal for the first time with kids and both girls are very interested in meeting the super heroes. My question is: are there set times and locations to find them in IOA? Best spots? Is there a list? Thanks, Nick
i answered your questions in another thread.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #317
Azazel27
Universal Master

How has the weather been at US/IOA?? A lot of rain??? am? pm?? The weathermen are never right!
HRH 0301 Club, HRH 1001, RPR 0802 Club, PBH 0703 Club Portofino Suite, RPR 1205 Club King Suite,HRH 0506 Club, HRH 1206 Club, AKR 0308 Club, PBH 0608 Club Kids Suite, PBH 1208 Club Kids Suite, RPH 0809 Club King Suite, ASM 0909 Family Suite, PBH 1209 Club Hospitality Suite, WL 0211, PBH 0911 Portofino Suite, PBH 1211, POR 0312,PBH 0612 villa suite,0812 PBH kids suite,AOA Lion King Suite 1012 (Can't wait!).....

Azazel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #318
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel27 View Post
How has the weather been at US/IOA?? A lot of rain??? am? pm?? The weathermen are never right!
Today and the next few days there is a very good chance of afternoon thunderstorms...mainly because of the sub-tropical storm sitting off the FL coast. It looks like it's going to storm near me and I'm about 25 minutes from Universal.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #319
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Today and the next few days there is a very good chance of afternoon thunderstorms...mainly because of the sub-tropical storm sitting off the FL coast. It looks like it's going to storm near me and I'm about 25 minutes from Universal.
Sounds like August weather. You can get a lot accomplished in those early morning hours. Have fun and don't worry about it....your in Florida!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #320
Halloween Baby
Mouseketeer

Our trip is a surprise for our son! I was wondering if there's a good e-book or downloadable app I could get that has pictures of all of the rides at IOA/US? I have a nook color. I would like to let him look through it after telling him so he can decide what he wants to ride!

Thanks!

Halloween Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #321
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorman View Post
Sounds like August weather. You can get a lot accomplished in those early morning hours. Have fun and don't worry about it....your in Florida!
Yup...and I'm about 25 minutes north of Universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween Baby View Post
Our trip is a surprise for our son! I was wondering if there's a good e-book or downloadable app I could get that has pictures of all of the rides at IOA/US? I have a nook color. I would like to let him look through it after telling him so he can decide what he wants to ride!

Thanks!
The Universal website is probably going to be your best bet in regards to attractions. I don't know of any apps out there but you can also check You Tube for ride videos. That should be of some assistance.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #322
Halloween Baby
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I was hoping for something that I could use on the plane without the internet but if that's all there is, it'll have to do!!

Halloween Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #323
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

OK, Lotsa Questions!

Howdy Folks,

Looks like our trip to Disneyland last February burned the wife out on all things Disney for a while. She did say that she would like to go to Universal Orlando to see The Harry Potter Wizarding world thingy. So, me being the vacation planner, I am looking for information, lots of information, so please bear with me.

I like to travel to Orland in February, but this was based on being a low-crowd and best price time of year for WDW and DL. Does this hold true for Universal? I also like the weather during that time, cool nights and mild days, some rain, but not unmanageable.

It looks like staying onsite is the best choice, like at WDW (but not DL, as we found out). When we stay on site at WDW, the wife prefers Port Orleans Riverside (Alligator Bayou) or Port Orleans French Quarter. I take it that the Royal Pacific is closest in cost comparison then? There will only be the DW and I this time, unless the MIL & FIL decide to meet us there (not likely). I was looking at one map and it showed the Days Inn Orlando-International Drive as being right at the park entrance in one map, but then about 5 blocks away on another. What is the reallocation? Are there offsite (but partner) hotels within walking distance to the park? The reviews for that Days Inn were kinda hit or miss though......

Meal plan. Tell me about it, prices, options, etc. I couldn't find much information about it on the Universal Studios site. In fact, when I tried to price out a vacation package for next February the site basically returned no options at all. Do they not book that far in advance? I know that I have no problems at all booking WDW vacations as much as a year in advance. We like the meal plans at WDW (the one offered at DL was, well, a joke).

Transportation. What is the best way to get to our lodging? Mears shuttle? Does the hotel have a pickup van? I would prefer to not rent a car as we probably won't be going any where else but to the park and then back to the room to crash.

What else do I need to know? We are seasoned WDW/DL vets, but the DW has determined that she is "Disneyed-Out" for a while. I am familiar with the area (was stationed there back in the early 80's, when they had a U.S. Navy base) and MCO. I just am not able to make much headway planning this US trip by using their website.

Thanks for any insight y'all can offer.

ETA - after some poking around on their site, I finally was able to pull up the page describing their meal plan. Kinda underwhelming, to say the least. You get a choice of only three restaurants in each park, if I am reading this page correctly. According to that page, it looks like it will cost $20.99 per person (adult) for the one park option, and $24.99 per person if we decide to "park hop" while there. So, please tell me what y'alls opinions are as to whether or not this plan is worth the cost. I try to avoid fried foods, and tend to gravitate towards vegetarian due to them usually being lower in fat. My wife, will eat anything though.....

Last edited by DryCreek; 06-16-2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: found some info...
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #324
macraven
Proud Redhead
Iím a Universal Homie

i see you found the info on the meal deal.
if you like the food at those places, then that will help you make a decision.
it's not something i would recommend to anyone staying at the parks for a couple of days.
check out the sticky about where to eat/menus in the forum

i prefer onsite hotels for the convienience to get where i am going.
if you go in a low season, staying off site works for many if they are on a budget.

suggest you look thru the uo website and use the search for some of the topics you had general questions for.

i'm not sure when you ask about mears shuttles if you are talking about offsite hotels to the parks or from the airport to the hotel?

many that stay offsite walk to the parks, use their star service shuttle that circles to many hotels or use a cab.

check out the uo website for partner hotels.
i can't remember which ones are grouped in that promo.

i would not suggest to go with the package as when you break it down, you usually come out cheaper by purchasing everything separately.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #325
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i see you found the info on the meal deal.
if you like the food at those places, then that will help you make a decision.
it's not something i would recommend to anyone staying at the parks for a couple of days.
check out the sticky about where to eat/menus in the forum

i prefer onsite hotels for the convienience to get where i am going.
if you go in a low season, staying off site works for many if they are on a budget.

suggest you look thru the uo website and use the search for some of the topics you had general questions for.

i'm not sure when you ask about mears shuttles if you are talking about offsite hotels to the parks or from the airport to the hotel?

many that stay offsite walk to the parks, use their star service shuttle that circles to many hotels or use a cab.

check out the uo website for partner hotels.
i can't remember which ones are grouped in that promo.

i would not suggest to go with the package as when you break it down, you usually come out cheaper by purchasing everything separately.
Yup, I think that the meal deal may work for us - I found some stuff that I would be able to eat (salads, rotisserie chicken, etc.), I was just hoping for a little more variety (i.e. Three Broomsticks).

I have been looking at the Partner Hotels as well as on-site. While I would love to stay at the Royal Pacific, is it really worth double the cost of staying at a nice offsite hotel that is nearby? The only reason I would use a package is to get the early entry to Spiderman/Harry Potter. It just kinda surprised me that I wasn't able to price out a package for arrival in late January or early February.

As far as transportation - I am not deterred at all by walking 15 to 20 minutes to get to the parks, or riding the local shuttle (I guess it is like A.R.T. around Anaheim?) to get to the parks. I was wondering if Universal offered a similar perk like DME to its guests, but it looks like they don't. I priced out Mears Shuttle and for $30 R/T per person, that seems reasonable to me. It has to be cheaper than renting a car, and they run to all of the onsite and offsite hotels.

Are the "value seasons" for Universal Studios pretty much during the same times as WDW? Low crowds and moderate weather is why we choose Jan/Feb for travel to WDW.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #326
macraven
Proud Redhead
Iím a Universal Homie

on the uo website, it lists the seasons and typical rack rates.
the dates are listed for each time period.

that can help you decide to go for the onsite or offsite hotel.

many enjoy the Doubletree hotel that is offsite.
it is about a 15 minute, depending on your walking pace, from the hotel to the parks.

i thought at one time you could book one of the partner hotels without the package and still get the early entry.

maybe that is no longer in existance??

Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #327
gwen10
Earning My Ears

14 day unlimited ticket?

Hi all -

We are headed back to the RPR next weekend. I have an AP, but need a 5 day ticket for my son, who is 11 years old. Thought I saw a link for a 14 day unlimited ticket here, but can't find it now... seems like it was $179.99? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
gwen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #328
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen10 View Post
Hi all -

We are headed back to the RPR next weekend. I have an AP, but need a 5 day ticket for my son, who is 11 years old. Thought I saw a link for a 14 day unlimited ticket here, but can't find it now... seems like it was $179.99? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I think this is the one you're talking about:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2777319
Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #329
gwen10
Earning My Ears

Yes, thank you so much. Very hard to find on the Universal Orlando website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
I think this is the one you're talking about:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2777319
gwen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #330
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen10 View Post
Yes, thank you so much. Very hard to find on the Universal Orlando website.
The thread was a sticky but since it had no activity for a while, I took it off. Then you came along.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: