Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
AC7179
DIS Veteran

Questions from a US Newbie

Greetings!

We are planning a trip to Orlando with my family next year. We will stay a week at Bonnet Creek. Our party is my mom, 65, husband, 42, myself, 35, stepdaughter 21, daughter, 9, and daughter 2.

1. What age do you have to buy ticktets? I know Disney is 3, what about Universal?

2. I'm considering buying 2 day tickets to Universal and getting a hotel room at Hard Rock or the other beach-y deluxe hotel. They will allow me to book 5 people so I would book all but the baby. We would drive to the hotel before EE, check in, do EE, get Express Passes and enjoy the park. That night, my mom and I would probably leave earlier to take the baby back to BC while my husband and other kids stayed at the hotel. Then my mom and I (and baby) would drive back in the am before EE. This plan hinges on the baby being allowed in to EE without a hotel room key/etc. and on her not needing express pass. The baby won't be riding any HP attractions, so I'm not opposed to making a dining reservation at Leaky Cauldron with her if needed to be able to get her in while the others ride. Whew.

I'm also trying to be smart but not unethical. I don't think the above situation is unethical since we won't have more sleeping in the hotel room than allowed and we will be paying for five in the room to get the dice express passes, but if there are ethical concerns about this scenario please let me know.

Also, does Universal have a baby switch pass like Disney? How does that work? Thanks for all your help!
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7179 View Post
Greetings!

We are planning a trip to Orlando with my family next year. We will stay a week at Bonnet Creek. Our party is my mom, 65, husband, 42, myself, 35, stepdaughter 21, daughter, 9, and daughter 2.

1. What age do you have to buy ticktets? I know Disney is 3, what about Universal?

2. I'm considering buying 2 day tickets to Universal and getting a hotel room at Hard Rock or the other beach-y deluxe hotel. They will allow me to book 5 people so I would book all but the baby. We would drive to the hotel before EE, check in, do EE, get Express Passes and enjoy the park. That night, my mom and I would probably leave earlier to take the baby back to BC while my husband and other kids stayed at the hotel. Then my mom and I (and baby) would drive back in the am before EE. This plan hinges on the baby being allowed in to EE without a hotel room key/etc. and on her not needing express pass. The baby won't be riding any HP attractions, so I'm not opposed to making a dining reservation at Leaky Cauldron with her if needed to be able to get her in while the others ride. Whew.

I'm also trying to be smart but not unethical. I don't think the above situation is unethical since we won't have more sleeping in the hotel room than allowed and we will be paying for five in the room to get the dice express passes, but if there are ethical concerns about this scenario please let me know.

Also, does Universal have a baby switch pass like Disney? How does that work? Thanks for all your help!
1. Same as Disney
2. Fire code says 5 for sleeping in room. Baby doesn't need anything to get into the park.
3. Yes, there is a baby swap. Everyone goes through the queue together and the non riders wait in the waiting room which is right at the ride loading area. When the party is done, you do the switcheroo.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7179 View Post
Greetings!

you have 6 that will take turns staying in the room.
5 is the max per room.

that is still circumventing the rules in order to avoid booking two rooms on site.

the reason Loews/Universal did away with the old system for hotel express pass (hotel room key card) was that hotel guests were selling their room keys to strangers once they checked out.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post

you have 6 that will take turns staying in the room.
5 is the max per room.

that is still circumventing the rules in order to avoid booking two rooms on site.

the reason Loews/Universal did away with the old system for hotel express pass (hotel room key card) was that hotel guests were selling their room keys to strangers once they checked out.
That's what I thought at first but the baby will never be staying at the hotel, so it should be fine.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

then i misread that.
i thought the op said she will have the child with her when she checked in and then return later back to the offsite hotel.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
AC7179
DIS Veteran

Thanks! Although I'm booking (and paying for) all 5 people over 3 into the room, only my husband and two older daughters are spending the night. My mom and I will take the baby back to Bonnet Creek for the evening while the others stay and ride and then spend the night at the hotel. We will then drive back to the hotel the next morning for EE. Hope that makes sense!
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: