Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #121
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

Thumbs up Experience with the BBB and black/ethnic hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenT View Post
Anybody have experience w/ BBB for black girls' hair?
I have, twice!

Trust me when I say I was quite leery but the way it was handled at the BBB really impressed me. In the photo below, my daughter had indvidual braids I had done as she went back to school later in the week. Her braids had been freshly-washed the day before so when she got to the salon she had 'clean' hair. She got the Fairytale Princess style.

It took two FGM's In Training to style her hair because they had to get it all on the top of her head with a thick black ponytail holder, then secured it with bobby pins. The style lasted for 5+ days like this even when she swam!

For the second visit right after Christmas of last year, she got the Coach package and her hair done in the Disney Diva style. She had cornrows which were done on the Disney Cruise Line but her hair was left out in the back. The stylist had no problem fashioning it into the hairstyle. Here was the result:

Quote:
I did notice what looked like an black stylist in one of the pics on this thread.
This stylist didn't do my daughter's hair 'directly' but she was next to the stylist working on my daughter's hair. She offered assistance in how to get her hair up in the Fairytale Princess style. She also complimented me on doing my daughter's individual braids! When I was there in December, there were two black stylists in the room. There is another lady who is biracial but she wasn't there in December. She was in August though.

Quote:
The hair products & styling techniques would be different. I would like to schedule this for dd12 when we go in august for her 13th bd, I think she would enjoy it, but I don't want her hair ruined in the process.
The two times I went I did see Bronner Brother's products (spritz and pomade). If the stylist doesn't know (and they usually do), emphasize that you don't want anything water-based on your daughter's hair if it's pressed or chemically relaxed. Since my daughter had braids/cornrows, I instructed them to use spray leave-in conditioner. The stylists are very good about asking you first what product you'd like put in your child's hair.

Also, another FYI I found out when I made a BBB appointment for my daughter in April, you must bring your own brush and comb.

Your daughter is going to love the BBB!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #122
Disbug
WL Vet
Has recommendations from very important people!
I believe in finding enchantment wherever it may be found!
Has a couple of princesses of her own!

Here are our pictures from the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique...

This was our first visit to the Boutique and we left very impressed! Although the two younger girls were the one's with appointments, our Fairy Godmothers made sure my oldest and I didn't leave before we had a sprinkling of pixie dust in our hair. DD5 was in a wheelchair, and the regular chair was moved from one of the stations to accomodate her. It was awesome! This Boutique is so charming... the whole experience was well worth the price!

Do you have this in our size?
All 3 sisters check in at the Podium...

The transformation...

After the pixie dust had settled...DD12 and DD5 look beautiful!

With Prince Charming at the Ball...
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #123
TatenEly

This is from our trip in January of this year..... One thing that I discovered about the dressing up and getting the hair done...it really got them noticed at the MK....While we were waiting for an autograph from Pinochio right inside the entrance ... within in a minute of standing there a person from the Dream Team came up and offered our girls a "private" meeting with Cinderella. It was really special!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #124
Princess Jayne
DIS Veteran

this sounds so cool- do you think a 19 yr old would look out of place getting the coach package? x
Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #125
mhf
Mouseketeer? hah! Princess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Jayne View Post
this sounds so cool- do you think a 19 yr old would look out of place getting the coach package? x
I had wanted to go in May (and I"m more than twice 19...you do the math!) but there is not enough time in our schedule. DH gives me these bizarre looks when I talk about BBB and says I'm enough of a princess.

Maybe BBB needs to open a 2nd one near Pleasure Island...adults only BBB!

Melissa
Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #126
Princess Jayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhf View Post
I had wanted to go in May (and I"m more than twice 19...you do the math!) but there is not enough time in our schedule. DH gives me these bizarre looks when I talk about BBB and says I'm enough of a princess.

Maybe BBB needs to open a 2nd one near Pleasure Island...adults only BBB!

Melissa
now that would be a good idea!! think i might just go for it-after all if any looks at me and thinks what is she doing?! i'll just tell myself i'll probs never ever see them again anyway! ha ha! x
Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #127
annrae
annrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancer_survivor_06 View Post
I believe they have a size up to 11/12 and yes you can bring your own dress.
These are two of my pics from our trip in July and we got this dress at the disney store.

You have made some beautiful memories at WDW. I was sorry to read about your DD and I hope she is well now and that you are also doing fine. It's amazing how much a little "magic" will help. Barbara
Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #128
Panotchr
Mouseketeer

We don't have a dinner scheduled with the Princesses this time. Do you all think doing the BBB would still be fun for my 6 year old? We just had a friend that works in Disney send her an Aurora dress and crown as a surprise. She even addressed the box to Princess Lily with the return address Princess Aurora. Lily told us that she saw Aurora checking her dress size when we were there in August.

So we have the dress... but will it seem like all dressed up with no where to go????
Old 02-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #129
cancer_survivor_06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panotchr View Post
So we have the dress... but will it seem like all dressed up with no where to go????

Absolutely not, you DD will love all of the attention that she will get and in my opinion is almost better than seeing the princesses. You can also head over to toontown and see if the princesses are there if you feel like you need to see them. My dd just thinks she is royalty so one day while we were leaving one of the parks she was doing her princess/beauty queen wave to everyone that walked by telling them goodbye or good day she even went as far as to say thank you for coming. Its something fun and special and memorable for them to have fun with.

By the way I love how you spell her name, that is how I spelled my dd3's name but everyone else seems to want to spell it Lilly.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #130
cancer_survivor_06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annrae View Post
You have made some beautiful memories at WDW. I was sorry to read about your DD and I hope she is well now and that you are also doing fine. It's amazing how much a little "magic" will help. Barbara

Thank you we have had some really great trips. I have officially been in remission for 1 year as of Jan. and Lily is doing great she is learning how to crawl and stand she doesn't talk yet and she only eats baby food but we are working on that as well. I was sorry as well to read about your DD, I now how upset my older dd would have been, and congrats on the baby boy.

Also thank you for taking a look at my link.

Mandy
Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #131
kabbie
DIS Veteran

I took my 3 yr old niece there in Oct 06 before our character dinner with Cinderella at 1900 Park Fare. We did have to wait about 30 minutes...there were several birthday parties at the time. Lauren felt like a princess and definitely will do it again!

Later that night in the Grand Floridian.

She wore her hair like this the next day to Epcot too. That's some pretty strong hairspray. It started to come down in the back.

Read about a WDW Vet solo trip to Disneyland
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1355408
1991 Offsite 1992-1997 Lived in Tampa; Visited as a Day Visitor several times a year 2000 Offsite-Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway 2002 Offsite Jan 2004 Marriott Village (I work for Marriott) Dec 2005 All Star Vacation Home Sept 28-Oct 3, 2006 POR (First time on property!) Feb 6-10, 2007 1st time at Disneyland (Anaheim Fairfield) Sept 26-Oct 5, 2007 WL/BWV Dec 12-14, 2007 Marriott Village (free room)Dec3-10, 2008 Marriott Grande Vista May 16-21, 2009 BWV Dec 12-17, 2009 POFQ/BCV/VWLOct 20 - 24, 2010 Marriott's Sabal Palms Aug 3-8, 2011 Disneyland - Anaheim Marriott Suites
Old 02-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #132
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

I see alot of you said the hairstyle lasted a few days? Wow!
How do you think that would hold up in late August?
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 Embassy Suites LBV/Boardwalk Inn *
Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #133
Rubbertops
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancer_survivor_06 View Post
...everyone else seems to want to spell it Lilly.
I also have a Princess Lily. People will ask - "Is it one 'L' or two?" and I say - it's 2, but not together....
Old 02-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #134
Panotchr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertops View Post
I also have a Princess Lily. People will ask - "Is it one 'L' or two?" and I say - it's 2, but not together....

Okay, now that is clever. I just loved Lily. I had to name her that. I will try to figure out how to post her picture for you!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #135
alwayspooh
Mouseketeer

so much for all the pictures of all your beautiful princesses. We are going in Sept and I am planning a trip to BBB with my DD's who will be 7 & 2 at the time. I know we will have a great time and will have many great pictures and memories as you have shared.
2001 - CSR (DD 1st trip)
2003 - PC W/MOM
2004 - CSR
2007 - ASMU (DD #2 first Disney vacation)
2008 - 1 DAY MAGIC KINGDOM FIX

Me DD12 DD7

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: