Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #76
curiouser
Keep believing, keep pretending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
When can we expect the photo-journal of your birthday meal?? I look forward to your pictures!!!

The Canon is a great camera - not the only great camera, but a great camera that I know. If you are already a reasonably skilled photographer (lighting, composition), you will love the results. The beauty of digital is that you can take many pictures and delete the inferior ones!

These are my hints for food photography (there are books, but most of us can't think in terms of full checklists when taking a picture):
  1. Patience - it's human nature to start eating as soon as the plate hits the table. Take a deep breath, lean back and view the plate like you would a flower.
  1. Photo Check - I usually check for 3 simple things, just before - and after - taking the shot (to determine need for retake):
  • Focus- is it sharp?
  • Light- too bright? not bright enough? (how to correct for these is a longer thread)
  • Composition / Clutter- are there crumpled napkins, dirty silverware, half an elbow, etc. in the shot? Depending on placement, some can be cropped out, but frequently, they cannot.
Kind of like an internlized photo-mantra "Sharp-Light-Clutter"...

Oh, and tell your server to ask Chef Jens what he recommends that night. Let them know you've seen the pictures and your expectations are HIGH!!
Once again, fantastic photos!! I am SO excited about our visit. A little less than one month now! We are ordering our Rebel this week and I am glad that spring has arrived so I can take it out and get some practice with it. I'll keep all your tips in mind - thank you for being so generous with your tips and your photos!! I hope my food report looks half as good as yours!
curiouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #77
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouser View Post
Once again, fantastic photos!! I am SO excited about our visit. A little less than one month now! We are ordering our Rebel this week and I am glad that spring has arrived so I can take it out and get some practice with it. I'll keep all your tips in mind - thank you for being so generous with your tips and your photos!! I hope my food report looks half as good as yours!
I forgot to mention - the March, 2007 photos were taken with the lens that comes with the camera! I had my Image Stablizer one in the shop and had to go use the original one. I think the pictures turned out at least as good. I realize that the IS lens allows me to take the Wishes shots, but it turns out anyone with the basic, digital Rebel should be able to get similar food shots!

ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #78
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

I am honored....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oybolshoi View Post
Terrific pictures - can't wait to get back to CG in May!

Thanks for sharing with us.
I really had my nose to the grindstone for the past two years - new jobs always seem to require a lot of time to learn new cultures and lingo, to establish relationships and, of course prove yourself - yet again.

Low and behold, through no particular choice on my part, I have some time to actually read other posts. I wandered into the food thread, recognized your moniker from this thread, then thoroughly enjoyed your food trip reports (I am sure I will enjoy the non-food ones as well - just haven't gotten there yet).

By the way, we have something else in common besides food gusto - I insisted on going on my 2003 Disney vacation two weeks (exactly 14 days) after a complete abdominal hysterectomy. I had no idea, well, we won't go into detail here - but here is a link to the antique (in internet, digital time metrics) thread.....

Mission:Disney 6/18-7/2/04 - Part #2 - 2003 Post-Surgical Disney-Recovery

Oh yes, while not an aspiring writer, I graduated with a BA in English. Fortunately or unfortunately (never too sure), I also had a minor in business, education and math - so I am currently working in a bank cube farm myself! It is the least creative environment / culture I have ever worked in, and I've been an IT project manager in law firms, academia, manufacturing, health care and the print industry!!

Last edited by ehagerty; 03-26-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #79
MeetingMickeyin2006
Well, slotted pig, they're standard issue!

OK, in no way, shape, or form would I eat 95% of the food in this thread, but your pics are AMAZING!

MeetingMickeyin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #80
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetingMickeyin2006 View Post
OK, in no way, shape, or form would I eat 95% of the food in this thread, but your pics are AMAZING!
Just curious - what is it about the food - or your food preferences - that would keep you from eating it?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #81
IATink
Mouseketeer

Wow! Your pictures are so amazing! I am so excited that we booked the CG for this summer. I'm not sure about trying the sushi, but everything does look very good!

We are hoping to time our dinner with the fireworks. We'll see how it works out. Now, I'm thinking maybe we should try and be finished with our meal before the fireworks start and head out to the balcony.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #82
MeetingMickeyin2006
Well, slotted pig, they're standard issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Just curious - what is it about the food - or your food preferences - that would keep you from eating it?
I'm one of the rare people who will not eat seafood or fish of any kind. Lobster, sushi, fish, crab, shrimp, anything like that. Just the thought of eating it makes me want to gag. But, like I said, your pics were amazing!

MeetingMickeyin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #83
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Lovely piccies
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 AM   #84
FigmentJenn
Earning My Ears

Oh my... your pictures are GORGEOUS!! I drooled all over my keyboard. Thanks for sharing!
FigmentJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #85
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

IATink, FigmentJenn - Welcome to the boards!

Glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #86
disneyquilter
Just keep swimmin'...

Beautiful Photos!!

Disneyland...Premium AP since '94...too many trips to count *~* WDW...2005 ASM/CSR ~ 2007 POFQ ~ 2009 CSR ~ 2012 CBR ~ 2015 Wilderness Lodge ~ 2017 AKL
disneyquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #87
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are amazing! I can't wait to eat here this fall & watch Wishes from the balcony. I'm soooo excited after seeing these pics.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:47 AM   #88
lonegungirl
Mouseketeer

These are great photos! I keep meaning to take a tripod up to the balcony to shoot the Wishes shots, but I always bag on carrying it around with me. Plus, I think mine is too short.

Are all the sushi listed covered by the dining plan? Or are they ordered separately? We often share the snake-in-the-grass one which is good, but not as good as the Deluxe Sampler which is not covered.

I love the CG--it's the one restaurant I always go to, no matter whether we have the dining plan or not. I always intend to order something different, but the filet and the sushi keep pulling me back in.
January and June 2008--Pop Century;August 2008--15 day repo on the Magic; September (twice!) and December 2008--Mousefest III! 4 days on the Wonder, 9 at Pop Century
March 2009--Pop Century; May 2009--ASSp + Vacation Home; September 2009--Pop Century; December 2009--Reunion I! 4 days on the Wonder, 5 at Pop Century
March and July 2010--Pop Century; August 2010--11 days on the Magic in the Mediterranean!
lonegungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:58 PM   #89
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Response....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IATink View Post
Wow! Your pictures are so amazing! I am so excited that we booked the CG for this summer. I'm not sure about trying the sushi, but everything does look very good!

We are hoping to time our dinner with the fireworks. We'll see how it works out. Now, I'm thinking maybe we should try and be finished with our meal before the fireworks start and head out to the balcony.
Thank you for the feedback! As for timing of fireworks and dinner, it all works. We've (1) finished and transitioned right to the fireworks, (2) stopped dinner (between appetizers and entree), watched the fireworks, and returned to finish the meal and (3) left, took a boat ride, and returned for the fireworks. Disney is pretty gracious about facilitating all three experiences.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegungirl View Post
These are great photos! I keep meaning to take a tripod up to the balcony to shoot the Wishes shots, but I always bag on carrying it around with me. Plus, I think mine is too short.

Are all the sushi listed covered by the dining plan? Or are they ordered separately? We often share the snake-in-the-grass one which is good, but not as good as the Deluxe Sampler which is not covered.

I love the CG--it's the one restaurant I always go to, no matter whether we have the dining plan or not. I always intend to order something different, but the filet and the sushi keep pulling me back in.
I used a tripod for the "Wishes from Main Street" thread, but other than that, the fireworks/night pictures were taken with ISO = 1600, handheld. Every vacation I swear I am not going to take a tripod, then I end up buying another $20 one from Wal-Mart. I think we have 5 now!

There are two exceptions to the sushi on the dining plan - I know Deluxe Sampler is excluded and I'm pretty sure snake-in-the-grass was the other - although you can order them as your entree.

I may have to try new / different dishes just to have something new to photograph!

Last edited by ehagerty; 04-04-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #90
happyj
DIS Veteran

Thankyou for the pictures the food looks wonderful
We have booked CG for our July tripAt 9 Would we see the sunset then as well?
How early are you allowed to go to the balcony before your table reservation?
Thankyou for all the information
happyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: