Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #211
ciera321
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the wonderful pictures!!! I can't wait to eat there in just over a month!!!!

ciera321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #212
samples78
Mouseketeer

Wow! What great pictures and what wonderful looking food. We are going to CG in September for my grandmother's 86th birthday - I am so excited now! It should be a wonderful evening.

About how long does a relaxing dinner take at CG? I was wondering if we will finish before the fireworks and have to come back.

Can't wait to hear how the food was.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #213
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Various responses - followed by another meal's worth of pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD2143 View Post
From what I've read, dinner service starts at 5:30pm, the same time as our ADR. Do you happen to know the EARLIEST that we will be allowed up?

And I don't know if this has already been established - but ehagerty, you must be a professional photographer, no? Your pictures are just amazing!
Since you asked this question between meal #1 and meal #2 this trip, I had a chance to ask/observe the "start" time of events. Basically, they staff the desk on the second floor (check in) at 5:00 pm - as soon as you are checked in, they will allow you to proceed to the restaurant (allow a couple of minutes to collect an elevator's worth of patrons). Once in the restaurant, you can get a drink, wander around until you are buzzed. They are still in the process of prepping from 5:00 to 5:30 (finessing the tables, checking silverware, etc.) - kind of like arriving early for a show.

And no, I am not a professional photographer - just a hobby - a creative offset to my job - which is managing global IT projects....

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytobeme88 View Post
How's the strawberry dessert? How is it like? I have always have the banana buzz thingy. I am thinking of getting something different this time around.
Strawberry dessert was good - I, too like to try something different, something lighter if I am full. Once I copy in the actual menu descriptions, maybe there will be more information to help you decide. Couple of thoughts - Chef Jens mentioned that they are getting a new pastry chef - so you probably want to keep an open mind - what you see here may be changing. Second thought - I was too full to finish my dessert, yet somehow my fork kept finding its way over to that warm chocolate cake and hazelnut torte......

And finally - see you at the HSBC Arena - preseason starts in just 3 months!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
O M G!!!!! Those look awesome!!!! Maybe we need to make a trip over there, just for dessert. Which was yours?
Mine was the strawberry, but we shared them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samples78 View Post
Wow! What great pictures and what wonderful looking food. We are going to CG in September for my grandmother's 86th birthday - I am so excited now! It should be a wonderful evening.

About how long does a relaxing dinner take at CG? I was wondering if we will finish before the fireworks and have to come back.
There is probably more detail contained within the thread (a couple of people asked earlier - but I understand not wanting to wade through it all) - but it totally depends on how many courses and how you cue your server regarding timing. You could be out in an hour, if you just ordered entree and dessert - if you had a reason to be out that quickly - but I suggest you pace the meal by communicating your expectations when your server first stops by, especially if you don't want to be rushed.

I haven't made my dining reservations for Sep, but there will almost certainly be at least one stop at the CG (after DVC member cruise). If you look around and see someone who appears to be more interested in taking pictures than eating - that would be me!!

ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #214
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

June 2008 - Our second amazing meal of this trip

.....and I would have re-arranged my DDP reservations to include a third trip here this vacation - but they were booked!!

Anyway - as with last pictures - I'm posting the pictures - descriptions, captions, opinions will have to follow when I have time. I only have 30 days to play with my PhotoPass pictures and that site is REALLY slow!!!

Disclaimer - some of the items you are about to see were "customized" and not a part of the regular menu. I don't know if they can do this all the time and don't want you to have unrealistic expectations. Still, they very much try to please - so there's no harm in asking if you see something you like...

Sample size corn chowder
Zellwood Sweet Corn Bisque with Nueskte's Applewood Smoked Bacon Foam

Kona Fish - so good, we ordered it again
Seared Hawaiian Kona Kampachi with Shiitake Mushrooms, Taro Root, Corn Butter Sauce, and Togarashi Oil

Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Tillamook Cheddar Grit Case, Sauteed Asparagus, and Teriyaki Barbeque Sauce

Dessert Sampler

"Strawberry Vacherin"
Pistachio Cake with Buttermilk Ice Cream ,Strawberry Sorbet, and Crispy Meringue

Butterscotch Buzz
Caramlized Bananas and Butterscotch Custard Stack with Caramel Source, Cocoa Nib, and Plantain Chip

.....and still, to follow, the amazing sushi entree.....

Last edited by ehagerty; 08-17-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #215
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

June 2008 - Our second amazing meal of this trip - OMIKASE!!

I inquired as to whether the CG was in the habit/business of "omikase" - chef's choice - preparing an entree's worth of sushi. Yoshe's creations were wonderful!! Pictures now, descriptions later.....

Overview of one of the plates

Yellowfin Tuna 3 ways - Poki, Tartare, and Tataki (same as appetizer)

Spicy Tuna Roll
Tuna Tartare, Avocado, Tobikko, and Fireball Sauce

"Snake in the Grass" - Eel with Shrimp Tempura, Avocado, and Cucumber

California Roll - Jumbo Lump Crab with Avocado and Cucumber

Sashimi
Yellowfin Tuna, Salmon, and Hamachi

Etc.

Click here to continue with next post, Sep 08

Last edited by ehagerty; 10-14-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #216
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

I am on the shores of Lake Ontario so I understand your mention several pages back of wishing to be at WDW and CG more often! Nothing like a little snow to make you dream of being in that photo you have where you are enjoying a pre dinner cocktail.....*sigh*

As a photographer, thank you for sharing your artistry. The shots are simply amazing and rival any "set and lighted" shots you would see in Bon Appetit, etc. Just fantastic.

As a huge fan of CG, thank you for whetting my appetite for our next visit. We will be spending our 25th anny there on 9/3 and I simply cannot wait to experience the joy of WDW and the great food at CG again to commemorate the day.

Again, thank you a million!!!!

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #217
luckytobeme88
Proud mom of soon-to-be MIT Freshman!! Don't stop short at your limit! Your limit is where you stop trying. Application fee $70. Getting accepted $Priceless

Thank you for posting these delicious pictures for all of us to drool over with.
What do you think about Melrose's coaching again?
luckytobeme88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #218
hmillerbarilla
DIS Veteran

Your photography is amazing. just perfect!

We'll be there at the CG in September too. I usually take pics but don't think they even compare to yours so you'll find mine on the Food part II thread!

Other thought: Does anyone know when the menu usually changes over on the DIS or allears that would be the one that would likely be available in September? I can't remember. Thanks!
82, 86, 91-Poly, 94-CBR, 95-CBR, 97-CBR, 98-CR/CBR, 99-CBR, 02-POFQ, 04-CBR, 05-CBR, 06-ASMu, 06-CBR, 07-CBR, 08-BWV, 09-Poly/GF, 09-POP/OKW,10-POR/WL/BLT,10-SSR/CR/BLT,10-OKW,10-YC/BCV, 11-BWV/OKW/BCV, 12-POR/BLT, 12-SSR, 12-AKV/BLT,12-SSR, 13-BWV, 13-AKV, 13-CBR, 13-CSR, 14-AKV/SSR, 14-CBR/POFQ, 14-ASsp, 14-AOA/BCV/OKW,
14-CBR
hmillerbarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #219
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

You pictures are great, but the food does not look appetizing to me at all.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #220
HonnyDipp
DIS Veteran

This thread is amazing!

Aug. 2003 Off Property; Nov. 14-20, 2008-Port Orleans Riverside; Sept. 2012 Free Dining @ Art of Animation
HonnyDipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #221
JMADgrad
Mouseketeer

We will be dining at CG in about 3 weeks - and I cannot wait!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post these amazing shots!
JMADgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #222
liamsaunt
I was an irish girl with an afro
I am Doombah Dippinlips. I just don't know what to say about that
Agh! I'm a chip junkie!
Mashed potatoes were invented as a delivery vehicle

YUM! Your photos are amazing!
liamsaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #223
jimenyfan
Mouseketeer

DH and I love California Grill, however we only seem to make it there every 5th anniversary: ex 15th & 20th.

6/2-6/9 WL concierge
3/31-4/4 POFQ
Fort Wilderness Cabins 4/9-4/13
GF Sugar Loaf 7/8-7/14
BC Concierge 7/14-7/22
jimenyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #224
schmass
Mouseketeer

Those pictures are truly amazing and that food looks so good! I am now starving after looking at all those pictures. And I am extremely happy that I chose CG for my birthday dinner in September. Thank you for posting all of those!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #225
qanita92
Yes, I am a teenager and I do like planning WDW vacations! Class of 2010!!!

A Couple of Questions

1. Did the halibut taste or smell to fishey? The salmon at CRT smelled way too fishy for my taste and I didn't quite enjoy it.

2. How did you learn to take such great pictures (what type of camera do you have)? Did you have previous experience or did you learn from the Photography board?

3. What is the best time to go to CG to watch Wishes and the best way to a get a great table view?

4. How were you able to take pictures of the restaurant without anyone in there?

Thanks

qanita92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: