Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #196
DarlingDumbo

Mouseketeer

Thank you for the wonderful photos
What would you recommend for a picky eater?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #197
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlingDumbo View Post
Thank you for the wonderful photos
What would you recommend for a picky eater?
You're welcome - and the simple answer for picky-eaters-I've-known would be to order the filet with everything on the side (such as the "sauce" - they'll put it in a gravy-like container and you can taste and add as/if desired). Plan B would be to choose any entree and request it be prepared the way you like. It is all good.

ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #198
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

The View (February, 2008)

We didn't take too many pictures last trip, but the sunset was rather nice

Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #199
LJD2143
DIS Veteran & DVC Member

Spectacular Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just made a 5:30pm ADR for CG on Nov 30th.
If our ADR is for 5:30, once we check-in do we get to head right upstairs? Or do we wait for our table downstairs?
2000 Wilderness Lodge 2006 Polynesian 2007 Polynesian 2008 Polynesian/Disney Wonder 2009 Grand Floridian SugarLoaf
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2011 Bay Lake Tower 2012 Boardwalk Villas 2012 Beach Club Villas 2013 Boardwalk Villas 2014 Aulani 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas
LJD2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #200
jennytablina
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the pictures, they changed my mind about CG. I've heard about it but wasnt sure if it was just another fancy resturant

Are the portions filling? Just while I've had sushi I've only had the small supermarket kind and found that the smallish portons doesnt exactly fill me (though I guess it wouldnt with a small amount like that)

Also...do they do non-alcoholic drinks? Me and DBF will be 20 when we go in a few weeks. Sadly both not quite old enough to enjoy the pleasures of fine wine in WDW
jennytablina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #201
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Some responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD2143 View Post
I just made a 5:30pm ADR for CG on Nov 30th.
If our ADR is for 5:30, once we check-in do we get to head right upstairs? Or do we wait for our table downstairs?
You do get to go upstairs once you have checked in (presuming they have begun to elevator patrons for the evening) - I would encourage going up a little early - you can walk around, especially on the balcony - enjoy the scenery, scope out Wishes locations, have a drink, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennytablina View Post
Are the portions filling? Just while I've had sushi I've only had the small supermarket kind and found that the smallish portons doesnt exactly fill me (though I guess it wouldnt with a small amount like that)

Also...do they do non-alcoholic drinks? Me and DBF will be 20 when we go in a few weeks. Sadly both not quite old enough to enjoy the pleasures of fine wine in WDW
Portions filling? I think so, but I don't have a huge appetite. I know the supermarkets-sized sushi - usually about 8 small California rolls? I think you'll find the appetizers comparable for "fill" (no comparison on quality), and the entree sushi very filling. And yes - they make non-alcoholic beverages (smoothies).

Last edited by ehagerty; 06-12-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #202
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

June 2008 - New Pictures - Appetizers

Just loading the pictures while "live, on vacation from WDW" - details, descriptions, etc. to follow (something to do when I get home)

Appetizers

Flatbreads

"Beff Churrasco" with Grilled Flank Steak, Sweet Corn Relish, Smoked Cheddar, and Chimichurri Sauce

Triple Cheese, Pecorino, Asiago, Provolone with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Basil Pesto

Appetizer

Sauteed Hudson Valley Foie Gras with Croissant Bread Pudding, Apricot Chutney and Port Wine Jus

Chilled Maine Lobster with Tarragon Remoulade, Toasted Brioche, Micro Celery, and "Fries"

Sushi

Last edited by ehagerty; 08-17-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #203
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

June 2008 - Entrees

Brioche Crusted Halibut with Crushed Potatoes, Braised Carrots, Serrano ham, and Spring Pea Cappuccino

Seared Hawaiin Kona Kampachi with Shiitake Mushrooms, Taro Gnocchi, Corn Butter Sauce, and Togarashi Oil

Seared Veal Loin with Wild Leeks, Morel Mushrooms, Potato Galette, Brandy Creme, and Ramps Pesto

Last edited by ehagerty; 08-17-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #204
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

June 2008 - Dessert

"Strawberry Vacherin"
Pistachio Cake with Buttermilk Ice Cream, Strawberry Sorbet, and Crispy Meringue

Valrhona Chocolate Cake and Raspberries
Warm Chocolate Cake with Molten Center, House-made Raspberry Ice Cream (substituted here with white chocolate) and Raspberry Sauce

"Chocolate Temptation"
Chocolate Pyramid with Chocolate Gelato, Berry Compote, and Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch

Last edited by ehagerty; 08-17-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #205
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

June 2008 - The View - Sunset

Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #206
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

June 2008 - The View - Fireworks - Pirates and Princess

Next set of pictures starts on Page 15, Post #214

Last edited by ehagerty; 06-24-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #207
LJD2143
DIS Veteran & DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
You do get to go upstairs once you have checked in (presuming they have begun to elevator patrons for the evening) - I would encourage going up a little early - you can walk around, especially on the balcony - enjoy the scenery, scope out Wishes locations, have a drink, etc.
From what I've read, dinner service starts at 5:30pm, the same time as our ADR. Do you happen to know the EARLIEST that we will be allowed up?

And I don't know if this has already been established - but ehagerty, you must be a professional photographer, no? Your pictures are just amazing!
2000 Wilderness Lodge 2006 Polynesian 2007 Polynesian 2008 Polynesian/Disney Wonder 2009 Grand Floridian SugarLoaf
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2011 Bay Lake Tower 2012 Boardwalk Villas 2012 Beach Club Villas 2013 Boardwalk Villas 2014 Aulani 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas
LJD2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #208
luckytobeme88
Proud mom of soon-to-be MIT Freshman!! Don't stop short at your limit! Your limit is where you stop trying. Application fee $70. Getting accepted $Priceless

How's the strawberry dessert? How is it like? I have always have the banana buzz thingy. I am thinking of getting something different this time around.
luckytobeme88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #209
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Hello All!

We visited WDW in 2006 and decided to try the California Grill as our 'romantic, non-kids' meal.

I was slightly nervous that it would be too 'high brow' for us and that we might feel out of place. Well, I needn't have worried! It was, quite simply, the best meal that I have ever had in my life! And as an experience, it was second to none!

Our server was called Kevin and he was amazing. He couldn't do enough to help us and put us at our ease, yet he was never obtrusive. We asked him to recommend a bottle of wine for us and he was happy to advise - and didn't point out the most expensive bottles!

We were in the centre of the restaurant but we still had amazing views over the magic kingdom - watching the castle change colours was awesome!

My husband had the BLT flatbread and I had the goats cheese ravioli. It was divine. Is it true they don't do the BLT anymore?

For entrees he had the steak and I had the pork tenderloin. Both were amazingly tender and delicious.

Of course we had to have dessert - the honey crunch cake for me and the chocolate cake for hubby.

Watching the fireworks from there was fantastic - perfect end to the meal!

Althought the food was of a quality I'd never experience before the atmosphere in the restaurant was really informal. There were many families with children there - which was great to see.

Well we're going back to WDW in just less than 2 months time - we are definitely going back to the CG and taking the children with us! We can't wait to show it to them.

We are lucky enough to have a free DDP so we are planning lots more meals out at wonderful restaurants - Le Cellier, Artist Point, Narcossees. But I am so excited to be going back to California Grill - my only worry is that I'll want to have exactly the same things as they were so lovely! I must try something new - any suggestions??

Thanks for all your amazing photos!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #210
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Strawberry

Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Hazelnut Torte

O M G!!!!! Those look awesome!!!! Maybe we need to make a trip over there, just for dessert. Which was yours?
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: