Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
queenmichelle
Mouseketeer

Sibs Do Dis + Meg, A Deluxe Dining Adventure with pictures! Completed 12/28!!

This is my first ever dining report. I really enjoy reading them so I thought I should contribute to the cause. First let me introduce the gang.

This is Jon, the oldest sib. He is supremely picky. Never met a vegetable that he liked except maybe corn. Adventurous with desserts but not regular food. He is a proud member of the clean plate club. Heís my protective big bro!

This is Robin, the middle sib. She is a very adventurous eater, willing to try almost anything. She doesnít like comfort foods like mashed potatoes or gravy. She is picky with desserts, mostly sticking to fruit, crŤme brulee or chocolate cake. She is my kooky big sis!

This is me, queenmichelle, Iím the baby sib. Robin and Jon never let me forget it either. Iím sort of picky but trying to branch out of my comfort zone more and more the older I get. I love fruits, pastries, desserts and comfort foods best. I never finish my plate no matter how good something is.

This is Meg! She is Robins 17 year old daughter. She likes almost everything but cheese and sweets. She has a very petite appetite but demands regular feedings or she gets cranky. Sheís my sassy sweet niece.

This is where we ate in no particular order:

Sunshine Seasons
Woldgang Puck Express
Chefs De France
Ohana
Kona Cafť (breakfast twice dinner once)
Crystal Palace
Liberty Tree Tavern
Whispering Canyon Cafť
Yachtsmen Steakhouse
Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Chef Mickeyís
Tonyís Town Square
Starring Rolls
The Brown Derby
50sí Prime Time Cafť
Akershus Breakfast
Le Cellier
1900 Park Fare
Tusker House Breakfast
Captain Cooks
Cinderellaís Royal Table Breakfast
The Plaza

We had no formal rating system, just we love it, like it or didn't like it. Hope you enjoy!
All Star Music August 1999 All Star Movies November 2000 All Star Movies January 2001 All Star Music August 2001 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian December 2002 Port Orleans FQ/Contemporary August 2004 Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary April 2005 Pop Century September 2006 Polynesian Resort August 2009 Polynesian Resort September 2011 Art of Animation-Cars Suite/Coronado Springs August 2012 Aulani Resort May 2013

Last edited by queenmichelle; 12-28-2011 at 01:37 PM.
queenmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!

Can't wait to read all about it
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
queenmichelle
Mouseketeer

Day 1

On the first night since we got in late we stayed room only at the All Stars Sports for Jon and Me and All Star Music for Robin and Meghan. For breakfast the next morning we ate at the resort food court. Jon had some sort of turnover that he devoured, I never got a photo.
I had a cinnamon roll and chocolate milk. It did the job tasty and not too sweet.

Robin skipped breakfast and Meg had a dolewhip when we checked in at The Poly. She loved it!

For lunch we had The Brown Derby
The Service was excellent. The server was charming and very accommodating without being overly familiar. Iím not a fan of servers who act like your new best friend so I found this to be just perfect.
The bread service was delicious. The sourdough rolls were soft and warm. The butter wasnít cold which is always a plus and the red sea salt was great.

I had the fillet of beef with just the roasted potatoes no sauce. It was delicious, perfectly cooked the potatoes had a lovely hint of garlic. I shared some with Meg. She loved the beef.

Jon being picky ordered the kids chicken breast with garlic potatoes and broccoli. His serving was actually larger than mine. I think itís great they allowed him to order this way, of course drink and dessert are separate for adults. He gave the broccoli to Meg but otherwise cleaned his plate. The chicken moist and flavorful, the potatoes were great.

Robin ordered the Cobb Salad no avocado or blue cheese, dressing on the side. She shared some with me and Meg. We all loved how fresh and flavorful this was. I loved the fine mince but Robin and Meg thought it could use a bit more texture. Robin was the only one who tried the dressing and she didnít care for it.

Meg obviously just shared with everyone. She liked everything and had a clean plate.
Oh I forgot to mention, it was my 38th birthday when were there. I had my birthday button on and they gave me a free chocolate mousse with orange cake dessert. This was probably the best mousse Iíve eaten! So light and smooth just fabulous. I made everyone take a bite and it was loved by all.

Meg and Robin shared a crŤme brulee. Jon had his own crŤme brulee. They all like the brulee quite a bit. Jon didnít care for the biscotti it was served with so Robin ate his.

For Dinner we had 50sí Prime Time Cafť. It was raining so the lobby was packed with damp people. We waited about 30 minutes past our adr time. The waitress was nice but didnít tease us much which is one of the reasons we like to eat there.
Jon and Meg shared the onion rings. They would have preferred and thinner cut. We all really miss the onions strings from a few years back.

I had the chicken noodle soup. It was way too oniony and I didnít enjoy it.

Robin had the crap cake with succotash. She thought the crab cake was too much filler not enough crab. She really like the succotash though.

I had the pot roast for my entrťe. Delicious as always. The reason I eat here, hands down!

Jon had the sampler plate. He loved everything except the collard greens which I bribed him to try. Robin and I also tried voluntarily. He said itís the most disgusting thing heís ever eaten. Robin and I didnít like it but it wasnít too bad. Overcooked and too meaty tasting for a vegetable.

Robin had the chicken caesar salad. She liked it. One of the better caesar salads of the trip.

Meg had the meatloaf. She thought it was wonderful and managed to eat more than half her plate.

For dessert Jon, Robin and I had the Boston cream parfait. Letís start by saying this thing is way too big! It was tasty but too much custard not enough cake. There are these wonderful chocolate sprinkles halfway through that are hard to get to. They need more of them at more regular intervals.

Meg had and equally enormous strawberry sundae. It was yum-tastic but she was only able to finish about half due to its vastness.

I was also given a free bland cupcake

All in all a good food day. I usually say that 50sí is the best but after The Brown Derby it was merely average. This deluxe plan is going to be challenging!
All Star Music August 1999 All Star Movies November 2000 All Star Movies January 2001 All Star Music August 2001 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian December 2002 Port Orleans FQ/Contemporary August 2004 Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary April 2005 Pop Century September 2006 Polynesian Resort August 2009 Polynesian Resort September 2011 Art of Animation-Cars Suite/Coronado Springs August 2012 Aulani Resort May 2013
Old 12-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
melifeld
Mouseketeer

I'm in!

Wow I actually made it to the first page! I can't believe it!

I'm in.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
queenmichelle
Mouseketeer

Day 2

Today is Epcot day! We started with breakfast at Akershus. This was new to me and Jon. The included photo was with Belle. As usual they donít take enough time to make sure everyone is looking in the same direction and smiling for the photo. I never pay for these any more for this reason but since itís included with the meal I guess weíll keep them.
The server was a bit too quiet and hard to hear but she kept us full of juice and cheesy potatoes so itís all good.
The hot plate to share

An assortment of buffet plates

The pastries were all wonderful. The fruit was fresh and a nice selection. We all stayed away from the more traditional Norwegian fare. The eggs were well cooked the bacon was thin but good. Iím not a fan of the sausage they seem to serve everywhere but I seem to be the only one who feels that way. Meg ate ALL the cheesy potatoes. For a gal who doesnít like cheese she sure loves a cheesy breakfast potato!

Lunch was the much coveted Le Cellier. A first for all but Jon. Our server was insufferably slow. It took over 2 hours for lunch while the table next to us turned over twice! With the same server!! The table are far too close together but the dining room is very intimate and lovely.
The bread service was great. We all liked each bread the multigrain was popular as was the pretzel breadstick. The sourdough was the least liked but still tasty.

Jon and I both had the spicy chipotle chicken sausage with polenta. Jon was hesitant but really like the sausage and thought the polenta was a nice contrast to the spice. I loved the sausage! I found the polenta too sweet and too runny but edible. I could eat the sausage everyday though with many many tums!

Robin ordered the duck meatballs. I donít think anyone at the table has had duck before so we all sampled. I thought it tasted a lot like dark meat chicken which I donít like but the glaze was devine. Robin thought them interesting and also liked the glaze.

Meg had some heirloom tomato balsamic thingÖshe found the tomato mealy overall not great. Too bad it did look lovely.

Robin had the Le Cellier house burger. She thought it was good asked for barbeque sauce on the side and it came on the burger. She didnít care for the sauce but it was just a little so she muddled through.

Jon and I had the New York strip with frites. Meg had the New York Strip with cream cheese mashed potatoes. The steaks were very good perfectly cooked the bercy butter was a lovely addition. The frites were average. Meg thought the mash was rich and creamy not too cheesy.

For desert Jon had the maple crŤme brulee. He said it was wicked awesome and devoured it entirely.

Robin and Meg shared a chocolate mousse I had my own. The cookie antlers and tongue were the best part. The mousse was very rich, nice and chocolatey.

For dinner we went to 1900 Park Fare. The only real disappointment of the trip. They stuck us in this little back room. It took forever for the characters to get to us. The characters themselves were kind of meh. Except Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drusella. They were very funny. They should make this a villains dinner! The food I found very limited and not that great. The strawberry soup wasnít as good as I remembered even. This place was just a real miss. I only took photos of my desert plate. Donít be fooled they are not nearly as good as they look! The fruit tart being the one exception.

Overall a mixed day. Some really great food some mediocre to bad service. I'm not sure I'd go to Le cellier again, but Akershus for sure!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

Great reviews and pics! I'm looking forward to reading the rest

Terri
tluvstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

A siblings trip, I love it! I'm taking a trip next year with my husband, parents, and my brother. My brother is super picky so it's good to know that your brother could order off the kids menu if he wanted to!

The buffet stuff at Akershus breakfast looks delicious! I love pastries and fruit so I'd be happy with just that. I know you didn't have any but do you remember what kind of traditional Norwegian foods they had at breakfast?

The creme brulees so far look great, I love creme brulee!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
queenmichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
A siblings trip, I love it! I'm taking a trip next year with my husband, parents, and my brother. My brother is super picky so it's good to know that your brother could order off the kids menu if he wanted to!

The buffet stuff at Akershus breakfast looks delicious! I love pastries and fruit so I'd be happy with just that. I know you didn't have any but do you remember what kind of traditional Norwegian foods they had at breakfast?

The creme brulees so far look great, I love creme brulee!
They had like pickled herring and capers, that's all I can remember at this point. If you love creme brulee you'll love my report! Lot's of creme brulee, It's my bros favorite!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Fun review!! I can't wait for more. My sister and I take a trip together every year and we have the best time. My daughter and I are going to Le Cellier next month and your pictures are really making me anxious. Mmmm...steak!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
queenmichelle
Mouseketeer

Day 3

Today is Animal Kingdom day. None of us are too fond of the dining options at Animal Kingdom.
We decided to try the Donald Duck breakfast at Tusker House. Our server was this tiny fast adorable lady. She kept the table clean and the juice glasses full. We all loved the selection and everything was fresh and tasty.

For lunch we ate late while we took a break at the resort. We had Captain Cooks.
Robin and I both had pepperoni flat bread. It's greasy and you need to blot it first with several napkins but the crust is nice and crispy and it's better than any of the "pizza" you can get at the park counter service places.

Meg had the turkey club and poly chips. The sandwich was good but the poly chips are the best

For dinner we went too Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness. We have all been several times before. They did change the show a bit and the new opening number isn't quite as catchy but the show is still corny good fun. I always laugh my booty off during the Davey Crockett portion of the show. I just love bear puns! The food was plentiful and tasty. Robin mostly ate cornbread and salad. The waitress even gave her the recipe for the cornbread she had so much. The fried chicken was great, the ribs a little tough. The sides were great but I would have liked if they started with more mashed potatoes. Dessert was fabulous as usual.

This was a great food day. Everything was delicious and we had good service all day as well. This will be a tough day to beat.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

The Tusker House Breakfast looks better than I would've expected from reading other reviews on here! I also would like to see the Hoop de Doo show one day but have been putting it off because I'm not a big fan of that style of food. The dessert there looks great though!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
WildAboutWalle
Earning My Ears

Great start...But you sure could have picked better photos of mom and me!!!
WildAboutWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
NorweJenNY
Always expanding my knowledge of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutWalle View Post
LOL - I'm guessing you're Meg...

I say the pictures add character... and Disney is all about characters!

Great start on the reviews, queenmichelle! Keep 'em coming!

Apr '96-Offsite / Dec '01-Jan '02-Honeymoon - CBR / Apr '03-Off Property / Jul '04 - OKW
Jul '06-Offsite / Aug '07-POP / May '08-OKW / Jun '08-SSR / Jul '09-POR & WL / Sep-Oct '09-ASMo
Dec '09-POFQ & VWL / Feb '10-Offsite / Apr '10-Offsite / May '10-BCV, SSR, & POFQ / Aug '11-POP
Oct '11-POR / Dec '11-10th Anniversary - BWV / Jan '12-BCV / May '12-AKV
Sep '12 - POR / Aug '13-OKW / Mar '14-AKV / May '14-SSR

Next trip... Sept '14 - AS-Sp

NorweJenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
queenmichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutWalle View Post
What? Pirate finger is cute and I wanted a funny picture of you. I had so many good ones to choose from. And seriously your mother will not let me take a normal photo of her!!!

I thought the one I picked sort of captured the essence of the person, except mine but I had very few usable photos of me to choose from.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
queenmichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
The Tusker House Breakfast looks better than I would've expected from reading other reviews on here! I also would like to see the Hoop de Doo show one day but have been putting it off because I'm not a big fan of that style of food. The dessert there looks great though!
I would say hands down that Tusker House was my favorite breakfast of the trip. I can't wait to go back on my next trip! My sister isn't a big fan of the type of food at Hoop Dee Doo either but she still goes. You can fill up on the things you do like. (she does salad bread and dessert)The show is soo worth it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: