Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #751
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State View Post
Can I join in? I found out Monday that I have Graves' Disease. I thought all these months I was going through "the change of life". Cry at nothing, hot flashes, can't sleep at night, weight gain, etc. The doctor put me on Celexa the first of April and told me to take Tyenol PM to help to sleep all night. Two weeks ago she added Wellbutrin. I'm still taking those but now I'm having to take Methimazole. I will take this for six weeks and back to the lab.

I'm just glad I know what is wrong with me. I really thought I was going crazy. I have a wonderful husband that still calls me "Princess" even though I was the "Evil Queen".
Welcome NC State! I don't know much about Graves' but I'm sure that someone who does will respond soon. I'm glad that you are on the road to recovery and it sounds like you have wonderful support in your DH. It is always my DH who points out when it's time to go back to the endo. I'm not certain if he's just sensitive to my symptoms or if I'm driving him crazy. Perhaps it's a bit of both

On a personal note I just have to say, "Go Pack!"
Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #752
My2Pixies
Disney Dreamin'

Anyone have a child with hypothyroidism? My 7yodd was just dx with this, with growth delay being her main symptom. Just hoping to hear from someone who has also dealt with this and what to expect. She will be starting Synthroid.

Boardwalk Villas, Mar 2015
Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Aug 2012
My2Pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #753
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Pixies View Post
Anyone have a child with hypothyroidism? My 7yodd was just dx with this, with growth delay being her main symptom. Just hoping to hear from someone who has also dealt with this and what to expect. She will be starting Synthroid.
I had cancer, so I haven't had this exact experience, but it's my understanding that with synthroid she should have a pretty normal life once they get her dose adjusted.

She may have to adjust again later in life, but as chronic diseases go, once you get thyroid problems diagnosed and treated, they aren't the worst thing in the world, typically.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #754
mrsklamc

My endo had to cancel my weds. appt. today ...and didn't have open appointments til August. My follow up scan was supposed to be in August so I asked if it could still be scheduled.

Her assistant said it can, she will schedule it next week as soon as she finds out if the Dr. wants to do a thyrogen scan or a total withdrawal scan.

If she does a total withdrawal scan, I will be on cytomel for 4 weeks...can anyone tell me their experiences of how different you felt on cytomel vs.synthroid?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #755
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
No experience either. I just take the syntrhoid for cancer too. Wishing you dd all the best.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #756
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
My endo had to cancel my weds. appt. today ...and didn't have open appointments til August. My follow up scan was supposed to be in August so I asked if it could still be scheduled.

Her assistant said it can, she will schedule it next week as soon as she finds out if the Dr. wants to do a thyrogen scan or a total withdrawal scan.

If she does a total withdrawal scan, I will be on cytomel for 4 weeks...can anyone tell me their experiences of how different you felt on cytomel vs.synthroid?

I felt very good on Cytomel. It gives you a different kind of energy than normal. I can't really explain it but when I was taking it I thought "hmmm....maybe a little T3 in my life wouldn't be a bad thing." But then when I tried to take it along with my Synthroid, I didn't feel well.

It is very short-acting so it will go in, you will feel good, and you will then crash. You'll take some more, feel good, and then crash. My last doctor prescribed one of the lower doses and then had me split it up throughout the day. Most docs prescribe it and tell you to take one bigger dose in the morning and that's it. I would get your Cytomel dose and cut it into thirds. Take one/third in the morning, one/third at lunch, and one after dinner. Don't take it after 6:00 p.m. or so because it could make it hard for you to fall asleep (unless you go to bed really late).

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #757
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post

I am so sorry that happened to you micayla. I had to change mine too, it took forever and many phone calls. I felt like I was being treated in a different way from the regular rad. patients who go every day etc.

At least you will have your diet date too.

Your endo must be really popular, busy etc.

How was the strawberry picking?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #758
mrsklamc

My endo is wonderful, she actually became an endo because she had thyroid cancer at 21 or 22. It was such a relief to see her.

Berries got delayed but we must go soon! Season is going to be short because it's been so warm. I'll let you know!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #759
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At one point my youngest was being tested for thyroid disease. I found the this site helpful:

http://www.magicfoundation.org/www

I don't imagine there are a lot of support groups since childhood thyroid disease is not common.

Sorry that I couldn't be more help; my best wishes to you and your daughter.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #760
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Micayla - I forgot to ask how were you feeling from all the swelling? Just curious what you did to resolve it?

I got the bill accidently for my nuclear scan, this is not for the thyrogen shots or blood tests or rad. onc. visit, I think just the scan itself. It was $1,441.00. Wowsa! I am glad dh policy has no lifetime maximum. We are blessed for sure.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #761
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Micayla - I forgot to ask how were you feeling from all the swelling? Just curious what you did to resolve it?
I'm wondering the same thing; I hope you are feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
I got the bill accidently for my nuclear scan, this is not for the thyrogen shots or blood tests or rad. onc. visit, I think just the scan itself. It was $1,441.00. Wowsa! I am glad dh policy has no lifetime maximum. We are blessed for sure.
After insurance, my scan will cost $330. My original bill was $1,070. I too, am thankful for insurance and will work as long as I can to continue my coverage.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #762
summy32
Earning My Ears

son with high tsh

My son had some blood work done recently and it came back that his TSH was 5.8. This was the first time he has ever had these levels tested so I have no idea how long it has been high.

The reason for the blood work is that he is autistic and on several meds so his psychiatrist ordered complete blood work. None of the meds would affect his thyroid. I spoke to a the doctors office today and they told me that his pediatrician just wants to have him retested in 3 months. I thought she would put him on medication.

Some people have told me that thyroid problems can cause moodiness. About 1 1/2 years ago he went from a sweet, calm, happy child to major mood swings, tantrums, anger. He is on Depakote for this and seems to help some, but we still see some moodiness at times. I am now wondering if the thyroid is maybe the cause and we are just covering it with a mood stabalizer. Is 5.8 not high enough to be on medication. Is it normal to not medicate and wait 3 months to retest. I was a little confused by this and asked that the doctor call me to discuss it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
summy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #763
mrsklamc

Summy32,

I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I don't have answers for you other than to say that I do know people can react very differently to being hypo.

Thank you for asking about the swelling! I'm sorry that I forgot to mention it got better that day. I did lemon drops, and a heat pad (thanks luvmarypoppins!) I taste salt water back there occasionally but mostly it doesn't bother me. My dentist had referred to it as a blocked stensen's gland which doesn't get a lot of hits on google, you get more info if you search for what my dr.friend called it- parotitis.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #764
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by summy32 View Post
My son had some blood work done recently and it came back that his TSH was 5.8. This was the first time he has ever had these levels tested so I have no idea how long it has been high.

The reason for the blood work is that he is autistic and on several meds so his psychiatrist ordered complete blood work. None of the meds would affect his thyroid. I spoke to a the doctors office today and they told me that his pediatrician just wants to have him retested in 3 months. I thought she would put him on medication.

Some people have told me that thyroid problems can cause moodiness. About 1 1/2 years ago he went from a sweet, calm, happy child to major mood swings, tantrums, anger. He is on Depakote for this and seems to help some, but we still see some moodiness at times. I am now wondering if the thyroid is maybe the cause and we are just covering it with a mood stabalizer. Is 5.8 not high enough to be on medication. Is it normal to not medicate and wait 3 months to retest. I was a little confused by this and asked that the doctor call me to discuss it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
It sounds like the doctor is making a good decision to wait and retest rather than adding another medication right now. I would suggest that the testing occur in one month, rather than three, in order to give you peace of mind that his symptoms are being properly addressed. I would also ask the pediatrician about the possibility that the Depakote is causing a thyroid disfunction. Good luck to you and your DS.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #765
Kobechiev
Earning My Ears

Technically Undiagnosed

Hello,

I have an undiagnosed Thyroid condition, meaning of course that my Thyroid makes just enough to be considered "normal" and I have all the symptoms that my doctor ignores. My mother had Hoshimoto's and is my expert on Thyroid problems. It is nice to see a thread here where you can talk about all this.

Jorie
Kobechiev is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: