Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #676
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Oh, you're sweet, I didn't take offense at all. I overplan everything. I'm wondering if I should save up vacation days, I am a bit nervous about how thyrogen has made some people feel and think I might just choose not to use it. I was up to 89 TSH and miserable, but I don't think it has to be that high.
You are right--it doesn't have to be that high BUT you should aim for as high as you can. The higher the TSH the better the test as it makes the thyroid cells more avid for the tracer dose they will give you.

The first few times I scanned, my TSH was at about 130-140. The third time, they finally gave me some Cytomel. My TSH only made it to 98 that time. On Thyrogen, my TSH gets around 100.

Thyrogen made me fairly queasy for a few days. Also, I am always so freaked out by the whole process (more so than most because I'm just that kind of person) that I make myself a wreck. I generally took off for the week of my Thyrogen scan. Most people do not.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #677
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
So are you on the lid too? If so, can you share what you are eating. Oh I am not eating this unless its air popped. I dont feellike going out and buying an air popper. I am running out of fruits to try. And I feel like a bunny with the lettuce, so I ate some hot leftovers today.
Yeah, I'm on the LID too. I've eaten granola and fruit for breakfast, a huge salad with a small amount of grilled meat for lunch, and the same for dinner. Snacks are fruit. I would love a big bowl of mac and cheese right now.

You can cook popcorn in the microwave with a paper bag and olive oil, no need for the air popper. I hear that Newman's Own makes a no-salt microwave version but I didn't see it in my stores. I also read that Trader Joe's has some no-sodium bread that would work for sandwiches with that salt-free peanut butter. I'm not hungry enough to try that yet....
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #678
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I'm so sorry you guys...I can relate to wanting the mac and cheese. I find that giving up dairy is the hardest part of the LID for me...I wanted ice cream, cheese, etc. so bad. Praying for you!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #679
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
Yeah, I'm on the LID too. I've eaten granola and fruit for breakfast, a huge salad with a small amount of grilled meat for lunch, and the same for dinner. Snacks are fruit. I would love a big bowl of mac and cheese right now.

You can cook popcorn in the microwave with a paper bag and olive oil, no need for the air popper. I hear that Newman's Own makes a no-salt microwave version but I didn't see it in my stores. I also read that Trader Joe's has some no-sodium bread that would work for sandwiches with that salt-free peanut butter. I'm not hungry enough to try that yet....
My LID is a combo of nih,thy ca and the rad. onc. own rules. Its stressing me out. I cant even have tap water as ours is from an aquifer. I like to mix it up. They thy ca. says 6 ounces of meat but I am only suppose to have 4 etc. I think I might go over. I really dont know as I dont have a scale. At least I use the steamfresh vegetables. I think its hard cooking meals for yourself and then a different one for the family etc. Next week my dh will be away so I am having the ds just get themselves stuff I think since I will be a mess from thyrogen tues. for sure. And since this is NY and chinese food is everywhere I do crazy stuff like basmati rice, grilled beef or chicken with orange marmalade and snap peas. Close as I can get. I had oatmeal today, Yuck!!

I think I might try your popcorn receipe. What would be the measurements? Thanks!
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #680
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
I'm so sorry you guys...I can relate to wanting the mac and cheese. I find that giving up dairy is the hardest part of the LID for me...I wanted ice cream, cheese, etc. so bad. Praying for you!
Thanks Micayla. I remember saying how you kept thinking about the Taco Bell!! I dont know what my lst meal will be. I am thinking of the diner for an omlet or maybe something italian. I dont know what time my scan is yet. All I know is after that and the blood test on the 14th. I am heading somewhere very good for sure. I might do 2 good meals that day to make up for lost time
Worse, my dh is obsessed with eating in the hospital cafeteria. They do have really good food there and after the 7 operations I had last year I am sure he knows what he likes too, but I told him no way was I eating there etc!!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #681
mrsklamc

Eggs are ok? Or is it that egg whites are ok but not yolks? I don't remember now.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #682
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Eggs are ok? Or is it that egg whites are ok but not yolks? I don't remember now.
Whites only. I am probably going to be making some no yolk noodles in a day or two. I have never had an egg white omelet. I think I will just stick to my usual banana breakfast as I suffered through oatmeal today. I actually used the oatmeal crock pot receipe from the budget board
Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #683
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My LID is a combo of nih,thy ca and the rad. onc. own rules. Its stressing me out. I cant even have tap water as ours is from an aquifer. I like to mix it up. They thy ca. says 6 ounces of meat but I am only suppose to have 4 etc. I think I might go over. I really dont know as I dont have a scale. At least I use the steamfresh vegetables. I think its hard cooking meals for yourself and then a different one for the family etc. Next week my dh will be away so I am having the ds just get themselves stuff I think since I will be a mess from thyrogen tues. for sure. And since this is NY and chinese food is everywhere I do crazy stuff like basmati rice, grilled beef or chicken with orange marmalade and snap peas. Close as I can get. I had oatmeal today, Yuck!!

I think I might try your popcorn recipe. What would be the measurements? Thanks!
Here is the recipe that I use:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

I just use 1 teaspoon of oil and don't bother with the seasoning mix. Of course for the next 1.5 weeks, I won't bother with the salt, either! If using a staple worries you then you could fold over the bag several times. I've done it that way when I couldn't find the stapler.

How do you prepare the chicken with marmalade? I might just stop for Chinese food on the 14th after my scan; sounds like you will too.

Last edited by es45; 05-05-2010 at 12:52 PM.
es45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #684
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Here is the recipe that I use:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

I just use 1 teaspoon of oil and don't bother with the seasoning mix. Of course for the next 1.5 weeks, I won't bother with the salt, either! If using a staple worries you then you could fold over the bag several times. I've done it that way when I couldn't find the stapler.

How do you prepare the chicken with marmalade? I might just stop for Chinese food on the 14th after my scan; sounds like you will too.
I just do thin chicken cutlets, I figure they are about 4 ounces each. Just put them in a frying pan and after they are browned on both side I put the marmalade on top and just let it get warm and drippy. I have a big problem with dry food and swallowing due to all my surgery, neck dissection and then the doctor who saved my life the 3rd oporation just cut everything up so swallowing is an adventure sometimes. Tonight I did peach preserve and I did an additional chic ken breast with honey, that will be cold tomm with salad. I am going to use some of the noodles and vegetables and some stock I have from a chicken meal I made, make a little soup tomm. and freeze it for next week along with applesauce. Those were the only 2 things I wanted last time when I was feeling sick from the thyrogen. Now I can prepare ahead of time.

I am thinking of going to a greek diner around here and getting something good or our favorite italian place. Hmm, maybe I will take dh take me to both. I hope my scan is not too late in the day. Last time it was like 10:30 I think. They havent told me yet.

Also thanks about the popcorn. I am thinking of renting a movie after church sun to watch and wanted to have some with sprite. Also I am going to try and make a little salsa concotion with tomato, cilantro and onion on unsalted matzoh. Sounds fun, huh. The matzoh for NY and the salsa for when we used to live in Texas. I am sure my 3 ds will not partake.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #685
es45
DIS Veteran

Regarding nausea from the thyrogen

I've never used thyrogen before. Does everyone get nauseous from the shots? It sounds like it isn't mild either? I'm thinking I should do like luvmarypoppins and be prepared if the nausea is so common.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #686
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just do thin chicken cutlets, I figure they are about 4 ounces each. Just put them in a frying pan and after they are browned on both side I put the marmalade on top and just let it get warm and drippy.
This sounds like something my entire family would eat with me. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 AM   #687
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
I've never used thyrogen before. Does everyone get nauseous from the shots? It sounds like it isn't mild either? I'm thinking I should do like luvmarypoppins and be prepared if the nausea is so common.
No, not everyone one gets nausea. In fact, when I was participating in the thyroid cancer mailing list (thyca.org), most people didn't get nausea or any side effects.

I found the nausea to be mild, not debilitating, but it just made you not want to do anything. I never got close to having "dry heaves" or vomiting.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #688
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
This sounds like something my entire family would eat with me. Thanks.
Yes as Christine said, I didnt actually vomit or have the "dry heaves" just had an unbelievable feeling of nausea like you didnt want to eat anything too etc. Also I know the lst day I had a bad headache, constant tylenol was o.k. I cant remember if I had the headache on day 2, I was more concerned with the nausea feeling. I think thinking of eating a good meal 2 days later helped alot
Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #689
mrsklamc

So you guys must feel like the thyrogen is worth it, since you do it?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #690
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So you guys must feel like the thyrogen is worth it, since you do it?
I felt crazy without Synthroid for 8 weeks the first time that I had the scan. I couldn't concentrate or stay awake. I felt awful. Even with the LID and the potential for nausea, knowing that the process is only 2 weeks, makes it worth a try for me.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: