Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2296
robynslp
Mouseketeer

Pathology came back and it is benign. I was ill prepared for how much pain eating would cause. I lost 3 pounds that first week (I had them to lose so I trying to not find them.) Since I'm a speech pathologist I know all kinds of things to help get a successful swallow, but little made it hurt less. Thank you for all the support on this board. I have to continue to monitor the nodules on the left side, but hopefully they will stay small and non-problematic.
robynslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #2297
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp View Post
Pathology came back and it is benign. I was ill prepared for how much pain eating would cause. I lost 3 pounds that first week (I had them to lose so I trying to not find them.) Since I'm a speech pathologist I know all kinds of things to help get a successful swallow, but little made it hurt less. Thank you for all the support on this board. I have to continue to monitor the nodules on the left side, but hopefully they will stay small and non-problematic.
Great news!!!!!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #2298
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp View Post
So glad to hear the wonderful news!
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #2299
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Robyn - SO glad you got good news.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #2300
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

http://www.self.com/health/2013/04/thyroid-cancer-risks

Just read this article last night in Self magazine. I'm almost compelled to write in about it because I feel that it is reckless reporting but I've got enough to complain about!!!

I feel the article did a real injustice to people who may have or who are struggling with how to handle their thyroid cancer.

I realize that, for a long time, there have been "theories" that some thyroid cancers may never progress; i.e., back in the 80s, during routine autopsies of elderly people, they found micro-thyroid cancers thyroid glands. They suspect that many of us walk around like this and they never progress.

But once you've found a tumor? Don't treat it? Ahhh...I don't think so.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #2301
cceandme
Mouseketeer

Gluten free?

Anybody had any luck with a gluten free diet helping with thyroid issues?
I'm starting gluten free to help my arthritis and read that it can help thyroid disease also. Anyone know?

Me(Rhonda)38, Randy39 ,Chelsea 20, Cody 19 , Ethan 13 ,
Also at home a dog, a cat, a Macaw, a Ball python, a Leopard Gecko and a goldfish
cceandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #2302
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

hi all! Just found out i have a tiny little cyst on my thyroid 3mm big. My ENT who found it doesn't seem that concerned, and passed it off as not a big deal at all. do these things grow? i'm not concerned either, but still not a fun thing to hear.

right now i have all the symptoms of hypo but every tsh test comes back normal (except for that cyst they just found) I also have a grandmother and aunt who were both hypo so I keep getting tested and tested, but never test abnormal for tsh, despite the symtpoms
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #2303
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
hi all! Just found out i have a tiny little cyst on my thyroid 3mm big. My ENT who found it doesn't seem that concerned, and passed it off as not a big deal at all. do these things grow? i'm not concerned either, but still not a fun thing to hear.

right now i have all the symptoms of hypo but every tsh test comes back normal (except for that cyst they just found) I also have a grandmother and aunt who were both hypo so I keep getting tested and tested, but never test abnormal for tsh, despite the symtpoms
Cysts can grow so I would think that you should have it looked at once a year. At some point, it should be biopsied if it grows. Otherwise, it's fine to watch it.

A lot of things can bother women and make them feel like they have a thyroid problem. I felt horrible for a long time and chalked it up to not having a thyroid gland and just not being right. My thyroid numbers were perfect.

It took a few years to figure out but I had a very low ferritin level (this measures your iron stores). It should be at least at 50-70. Mine was at 3. I had just started to become mildly anemic. Once I started supplementing with iron, it was a major improvement. But for a long time, I blamed my thyroid and my doctors felt it was "all in my head."

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #2304
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

Cysts can grow so I would think that you should have it looked at once a year. At some point, it should be biopsied if it grows. Otherwise, it's fine to watch it.

A lot of things can bother women and make them feel like they have a thyroid problem. I felt horrible for a long time and chalked it up to not having a thyroid gland and just not being right. My thyroid numbers were perfect.

It took a few years to figure out but I had a very low ferritin level (this measures your iron stores). It should be at least at 50-70. Mine was at 3. I had just started to become mildly anemic. Once I started supplementing with iron, it was a major improvement. But for a long time, I blamed my thyroid and my doctors felt it was "all in my head."
I was the same with the iron. You know how the blood work says high or low.... Mine said ALERT in red. Lol.
I also had a very low vit D level. I felt much better when that was taken care of.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale and 1/2014 Dolphin
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #2305
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

ooh thats good to know. I just had anemia last year and was bad until about december, very low ferritin etc, and a low b12, and put on ferrous gluconate. recently was re-tested while off the iron and was stable and normal. I had some uterine polyps that was causing the anemia they think. Apparently i'm filled with cysts and polyps I'm switching to a new doctor (my old primary care left) so hopefully we get this all sorted out. I do feel like i'm going crazy and that its all in my head.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #2306
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by cceandme View Post
Anybody had any luck with a gluten free diet helping with thyroid issues?
I'm starting gluten free to help my arthritis and read that it can help thyroid disease also. Anyone know?
No sorry, never tried this, but I am sure any anti inflamatory stuff for the diet would be good for you. Wishing you all the best.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #2307
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
ooh thats good to know. I just had anemia last year and was bad until about december, very low ferritin etc, and a low b12, and put on ferrous gluconate. recently was re-tested while off the iron and was stable and normal. I had some uterine polyps that was causing the anemia they think. Apparently i'm filled with cysts and polyps I'm switching to a new doctor (my old primary care left) so hopefully we get this all sorted out. I do feel like i'm going crazy and that its all in my head.

Thanks for the help!
I hope your new dr. is helpful and you are both on the same page about your care. I had severe anemia and had to have 3 blood transfusions and a non existent b12 so I needed shots for that and plus the non existent vit. d, I am good right now except for the vit d which I take 50,000 iu prescript. once a week

Wishing you all the best. I am thinking of changing drs. too. Mine needs to retire. He is not with it on anything, especially calling with test results.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #2308
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
http://www.self.com/health/2013/04/thyroid-cancer-risks

Just read this article last night in Self magazine. I'm almost compelled to write in about it because I feel that it is reckless reporting but I've got enough to complain about!!!

I feel the article did a real injustice to people who may have or who are struggling with how to handle their thyroid cancer.

I realize that, for a long time, there have been "theories" that some thyroid cancers may never progress; i.e., back in the 80s, during routine autopsies of elderly people, they found micro-thyroid cancers thyroid glands. They suspect that many of us walk around like this and they never progress.

But once you've found a tumor? Don't treat it? Ahhh...I don't think so.
I read the article. I really was not happy with it either. I am glad they did have Dr. Shah say something. Dh friend goes to Sloan but I dont know if he is Dr. Shahs patient. He is a guy and they are watching his cyst. They are deciding what to do. The fna is neg but the guy says its pressing on his throat etc?

I think that Dr. Davies quotes are a little mis represented etc. I think she is the one that needs to be addressed. If she is only a research nurse does she only look at statistics? Of course I say I am not a statistic. I dont fit into a surgical algorithm etc.

That got me to thinking. Last time I went to the er with the possible blood clot in my lung that turned out t be the bad muscle pull, I told the er dr. think outside your little box with me!

Yes we all dont fit into their little surgical/cancer boxes etc. And you know that with me for sure!

But I do see the trend seems to be going more toward watchng the little stuff, especially with younger people, have your read/heard this?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #2309
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Oh and now to take you away for one minute from your regularly scheduled thyroid posts.....

I'm going to Disney Ditching well, having to call the onc. and reschedule my yearly visit for this! lol!

I had to wait because dh is traveling to Los Angeles , San Francisco and then Russia for 13 days. So we finally booked it last night. He needs time to catch up on his reg. work before we go etc.

Of course I am trying to save money because we need a new roof and driveway. Our house is needing lots of tlc. Its getting older.

So we cashed in dh ff miles for 4 days at the Beach Club, Club Level, heah its a really big anniv. for us, so its something he deserves. He works really hard for sure. So thats free! Then we are switching over to the Yacht Club water view for 3 days June 1-4.

Then since I was on a roll I looked at all our southwest points and saw dh had enough for a whole free trip so that costed only a whooping $2.50! and I had enough for 1/2 of my flight, so I only paid $125.

Of course all the money we save we will probably spend eating!

I need a vacation and am so looking forward to this!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #2310
buzlite
Earning My Ears

Hi I just wanted to let people know that they should make sure what type of thyroid carcinoma they have. Their are multiple types. If you plan on doing any type of research about your condition, it will help you be more concise. IE. Follicular, medullary, papillary or anaplastic.
buzlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: