Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #1561
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
So I went to the scan this morning and the tech said "So this will be your first clear scan and they like you to have 3 so we'll see you two more times..." and I am taking it that that means it was clear in her opinion at least.

Looking back at this thread (It makes for a great record!) It looks like my results for thyroglobulin have taken anywhere from 3 days to a couple of weeks. When they draw the blood tomorrow I'm going to ask when they think it will be back cause I am ready for some cheese and bacon!
I am sure the waiting must be killing you. It just seems like they do stuff so much more differently by you. I also cant believe the tech would say something like that to you.

I guess because I get the scan done right at the univ. hosp, I just then go right down to rad. onc. and the rad. onc. gives me my results. Oh and my 2010 scan number was 1.00. She didnt give me the number this time as usual.
Last year I also had the blood draw and I think it was less than a week for the results but I did not stay on the diet. My rad. onc. lets you go off but says if its not a good test, then back on the diet and rai etc.

I did look up my 2010 scan and it was 1-131. I think that is all they use here.

My rad. onc. says 2 clean scans and then one at 5 years unless the blood tests are not good.

Christine -do you know if anyone refuses to get a follow up scan if their blood tests are always normal etc. I know I am not looking forward to it again, but know it must be done. I read on thy ca. some people state their drs. say the blood test is just fine and want to cut down anymore radiation exposure etc.

Micayla - my thoughts and prayers are with you. Wishing you all the best. Hang in there!! You are doing a great job!!
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #1562
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,055

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaker375 View Post
Hi there,
I took your advice and requested copies of the last 2 years lab results and made an appointment to see a new doctor. Surprisingly I was able to get right in. Only the TSH has been tested the last two times.

The new physician took time to chat with me and tested the T3 and T4 and increased my Synthroid from 100mcg to 112mcg. Also told me not to take the generic.

He also ordered an ultrasound of the thyroid using a DX of multinodular goiter, hypothyroidism. He didn't mention anything about "feeling" nodules or anything but said that since I had never had a scan of the thyroid before he wanted to see one. Surprisingly I was able to get an appointment for that right away tomorrow morning.

I return to the doctor in 4 weeks.

Thanks for the support!!
Sounds like this new dr. is on top of things with your case. Best wishes with the ultrasound tomm. Keep us informed. I also take the name brand synthroid and not the generic.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #1563
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
I am sure the waiting must be killing you. It just seems like they do stuff so much more differently by you. I also cant believe the tech would say something like that to you.
The tech last time did worse- he said "I can tell you right now that it's clear and you can go off the diet and back on your meds."Except then the blood wasn't clear and I had to diet & go hypo all over again.

I'm really coping so much better on the diet this time....but I would LOVE some cheese. Currently though I'm really enjoying celery w/ unsalted PB & topped w/ craisins.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #1564
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

Bloodwork this AM. I am a little nervous because I like to specify to the person doing the data entry that it is thyroglobulin LEVEL and not antibodies that I need to know. I'm not even sure why they test for antibodies. Anyway, I specified to the girl that drew the blood that I needed it and she asked someone else and she said that the level would be included. (Lab slip said thyroglobulin w a/b.)

She also didn't know when it would be back, or whether if it would be ready for their courier to pick up at 10:30 (the draw was about 10:00.)

The diet really isn't even bothering me that much (don't get me wrong I am certainly ready to splurge) but I am just ready to be DONE with this!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #1565
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Bloodwork this AM. I am a little nervous because I like to specify to the person doing the data entry that it is thyroglobulin LEVEL and not antibodies that I need to know. I'm not even sure why they test for antibodies. Anyway, I specified to the girl that drew the blood that I needed it and she asked someone else and she said that the level would be included. (Lab slip said thyroglobulin w a/b.)

She also didn't know when it would be back, or whether if it would be ready for their courier to pick up at 10:30 (the draw was about 10:00.)

The diet really isn't even bothering me that much (don't get me wrong I am certainly ready to splurge) but I am just ready to be DONE with this!

I dont blame you, I think I said the same thing to the Quest lab tech. I said, something like my cancer life is counting on this etc. I made sure it was all right. They make you look at it all and sign it here. My draw was on a Friday and they called on a Wed. I think. Maybe tues. I am not sure.My endo dept. has a dedicated account with them, so I dont know if that means you get the results faster? Honestly dont know.

Oh and a side note on me - I called today and made an appt. with the opthamalogist whom my endo told me to go to. Gosh, at the univ. here there is a list of like 13 doctors in the dept. One of this ones specialties is thyroid eye disease, so I am going to be happy knowing she has a lot of experience in this. I still have to wait till sept. 13th. They originally gave me a date of Oct. 3rd or 5th. My eye is constantly tearing etc. Its so bothersome and annoying. I think she will be able to determine if the RAI affected it an any way.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #1566
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS
 
ElizK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 3,286

Hoping ya'll can help me. I have often found you to be a wealth of information!

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 3-4 years ago. An ultrasound showed two tiny nodules, too, which I have re-scanned every year.

Yesterday, my thyroid started aching, if that makes sense. It hurts more on the right side, which is where the nodules are. My husband said that my thyroid looked uneven, the right side being a little larger than the left. I couldn't really see it, but I didn't tell him that one side hurt more than the other.

What the heck could be causing this??? It's really annoying! I'm not sure when my next scan is... or when my next blood test is, either, for that matter. I've got a $3000.00 deductible, so if I can avoid a trip to the doctor that would great!

Thank you for your help!
__________________
ElizK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #1567
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

Unfortunately there are many things it could be, but no way to tell without seeing a doctor.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #1568
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,055

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizK View Post
Hoping ya'll can help me. I have often found you to be a wealth of information!

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 3-4 years ago. An ultrasound showed two tiny nodules, too, which I have re-scanned every year.

Yesterday, my thyroid started aching, if that makes sense. It hurts more on the right side, which is where the nodules are. My husband said that my thyroid looked uneven, the right side being a little larger than the left. I couldn't really see it, but I didn't tell him that one side hurt more than the other.

What the heck could be causing this??? It's really annoying! I'm not sure when my next scan is... or when my next blood test is, either, for that matter. I've got a $3000.00 deductible, so if I can avoid a trip to the doctor that would great!

Thank you for your help!
I would see a dr. too. I am sure there are also financial considerations but your health is really important. Maybe your dr. can do the tests that are the best indicators of what could be happening while taking the financial situation into consideration as well. I wouldnt wait though. Wishing you all the best.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #1569
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,055

Micayla - Hopng you get some good news soon.

And if there is anyone here that was affected by Hurricaine Irene, hope you are safe.

Well we have survived the hurricaine. My dh got the last flight from chicago to conneticut as all the ny airports were closed. He had to rent a car then and drive back. This was after flying 14 hours from beijing to chicago.

We lost power for over 24 hours. I think if I was doing the diet then it would have been a nightmare, not being able to cook etc.

Oh and they cancelled my endo visit again for the 3rd time. I will call in a week or so as many people still do not have electricity around here at home and are not in the best of moods etc. This will be the 3rd time they are making me get another appt. This is frustrating.

Worse, I am feeling so, so tired. I feel like taking a nap right now. I know I cant have the new blood test until sept. 17th or a little later. I am assuming it will show if I am too hypo and need the meds upped again etc.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #1570
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

So Dr. just called and said that scan showed a small amount of uptake in the left neck but they can't tell if it is cancer or a saliva gland. The blood test was less than 0.5 so she says chances are slim to none that it's cancer but she wants to do an ultrasound just to be sure. Ultrasound is not scheduled yet.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #1571
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
So Dr. just called and said that scan showed a small amount of uptake in the left neck but they can't tell if it is cancer or a saliva gland. The blood test was less than 0.5 so she says chances are slim to none that it's cancer but she wants to do an ultrasound just to be sure. Ultrasound is not scheduled yet.
Well, that's not PERFECT news, but pretty good. Sorry you can't get a quick ending to things. That's how the first several scans were for me. One day, it's going to be easy. I promise.
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #1572
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Well, that's not PERFECT news, but pretty good. Sorry you can't get a quick ending to things. That's how the first several scans were for me. One day, it's going to be easy. I promise.
I know she just wants to be REALLY sure. And honestly it just makes this SO much more tolerable when you aren't hypo. It's too bad the thyrogen doesn't agree with you.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #1573
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS
 
ElizK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 3,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Unfortunately there are many things it could be, but no way to tell without seeing a doctor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
I would see a dr. too. I am sure there are also financial considerations but your health is really important. Maybe your dr. can do the tests that are the best indicators of what could be happening while taking the financial situation into consideration as well. I wouldnt wait though. Wishing you all the best.
Thanks to both of you. Seems to have gone away after about 3 days, so I'm going to continue to ignore it! I'd make a great ostrich.
__________________
ElizK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #1574
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizK View Post
Thanks to both of you. Seems to have gone away after about 3 days, so I'm going to continue to ignore it! I'd make a great ostrich.
I do hope you will reconsider. If it is something bad, time is of the essence. It may make the difference between, say, cancer that is confined to your thyroid or has entered your lymphatic system and begun spreading through your body.

I am not trying to scare you but the danger is very real. I know $3000 is a lot but your life is priceless!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #1575
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
So Dr. just called and said that scan showed a small amount of uptake in the left neck but they can't tell if it is cancer or a saliva gland. The blood test was less than 0.5 so she says chances are slim to none that it's cancer but she wants to do an ultrasound just to be sure. Ultrasound is not scheduled yet.
Sorry you couldnt just be over and done with this. Kind of like its always dragging on for you. But you are so tough and have lots of strength with all you have been through. I like that the blood test was good.

My rad. onc. says she goes more by the blood test than by the scan anyway.

Its good your dr. is thorough and leaves no stone unturned.

Did they tell you your actual scan number. My one was 1.00 and the radiation onc. said she thought it could be a salivary gland shadow. My report said 0.5 is the acceptable scan level.

Are you still on the diet? I hope they get the sono scheduled quickly. And seeing that your dr. ordered the sono I am glad that I still insisted my endo keep doing mine every 6 months. She wanted to cut it to once a year with twice a year blood tests. I figure if one has a different number or view etc. then I will still have all my bases covered.

Wishing you all the best. Hang in there!! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: