Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #46
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCruiser View Post
Great TR, TyRy! We are heading to the World in 16 days and between this and your meal report, have me craving a Mickey waffle
Thanks CrispyCruiser - and if you figure out how to butter your waffle without it instantly tearing, let me know!!!
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #47
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Today was hang out at the resort day (since I only had one day worth of tickets left and those would be for tomorrow) before heading over to MNSSHP for the night. When we first switched over to AKL, I was quickly planning this as a go explore other resorts or go play mini-golf or do anything but be stuck at AKL during the day. But something weird had started happening since my tantrum of “I wanna go back to the WL!!!!” We woke up this morning and suddenly AKL didn’t seem so bad. It was almost like one of those light bulb moments you might have when trying to figure out something – or if you are me, a “DUH!” moment when I’ve already ½ completed a project and then figure out the easy way that I should have been doing it. I have no idea if it was because we only had a couple more days and the Disney magic had been cast upon us to really enjoy what we had since we had nooooooooooooooo idea when we’d be going back -of course, in my head we could go back in a year…but not in DH’s head..he thinks there are other places to visit. I know – I have no idea what planet he lives on!!!

Anyway, so we decided that we would spend the day at the resort. We started with breakfast at Boma which we had a 9:30 ADR for…it was still a zoo down by the check-in and again we waited. But, it was a really yummy meal and we definitely would do this again.

After breakfast we had a bunch of time to kill. So we go exploring a little more – I’m glad DH has a sense of direction because he knew exactly what hallways we had already ventured down and which we had not. For those of you who have yet to visit AKL, let me tell you – there are a LOT of hallways. There’s also a lot of place to see the savannahs from both the inside and little places to see them outside as well.

One thing we did figure out was that we really liked having a pool view. We were close to everything. If we’d been way out on one of the savannahs I could see it being a hike to get to anything else in the lodge. So I think we are firmly on the pool view groupie side of AKL people and not savannah groupies. I mean, come on I loved this view…

PLUS – where we were you could actually see part of a savannah – I have noooo idea which one, but you could see it and we saw flamingos every morning. OK – so it was giraffes, but it was still something
BUT I could see where some pool view rooms might make you feel like you are in a jungle as it looks like the trees and plants totally block any view from the balcony.

So we head back to the room and DH wants to work on a couple of things on his ‘puter…I know! Work on things?????????? Forget him – I’m going to the pool to relax. I think the AKL was pretty close to sold out as my DIL’s tried to get a room for a couple of days that week and all they had were suites – so DIL’s stayed at CB – but the pool never seemed crowded. Granted I was there during the day this time, but even at night, neither the pool or hot tubs seemed crowded. No matter what time of day we were at the WL pool, it was crowded and the hot tubs were a disaster at night. SEE – there’s that AKL magic that has suddenly taken over me.

I also thought the zero entry was a great idea, even though I think I used it once.

The pool also had a bunch of steps leading down into it in one part that were super long. Many people were using them to sit in the pool (including me) yet were never in the way if people wanted to get in or out.

So down to the pool I go, leaving DH up in the room. OK – magic went missing for a minute…evidently there were too many love bugs to let it through. All the “prime” chairs were covered – and I mean COVERED – with the love bugs. They must have all heard how great the AKL was too and came over from MGM which is where they all were a few days ago. I finally find a decent spot that doesn’t have a million crawly things all over it (yuck!!! ) and sit myself down. If you look at this pic I was in the back by the umbrella.

Yes that is the same as above, but I couldn’t find another picture showing the little umbrella where I finally grabbed a spot

So I swim a little, read a little and think I even fell asleep for a while and then DH FINALLY comes down to join me. We spend a few hours by the pool before getting ready to head to MNSSHP – our second one. Can’t wait! And I finally get my dinner in the Castle!
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #48
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Just finished reading your whole TR, came over from your dining review! What a great trip so far it's good to get other opinions about hotels, can't believe the problem with bugs that's just horrible. Can't wait for more.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #49
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Just finished reading your whole TR, came over from your dining review! What a great trip so far it's good to get other opinions about hotels, can't believe the problem with bugs that's just horrible. Can't wait for more.
Thanks for coming over! The bugs shocked me too. I'd heard a little about the "love bugs" that invade but had no idea they could be so bad at times. And we were there when they were supposedly at the end of their yearly invasion. Ugh - can't imagine what it would have been like at the height of it. Thankfully they were never in any of the hotels or resturants!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #50
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Dinner at CRT - part 1

So after lounging at AKL all day, it was finally time to head to the MK. I knew from the Disboards and going in 2004 that we would still be able to get in early. Cool with me – I can slowly make my way up Main Street before our dinner in the castle and get those last few hundred pictures of the castle in –hey, what can I say – I LOVE the castle.

BUT before we even set foot in the MK our night begins well. First – got a nice close parking spot to the TTC – cool no shuttle for us, we’ll just walk over. Then we ask about riding in the front of the monorail. Yes we have already done that once this trip, BUT since the first time it was pouring out and we couldn’t really see anything out the windows we wanted to do it again. So we did.

This time we rode with a mom and her young son who were from Scotland and headed to MNSSHP as well. He was really cute dressed as a pirate. What we did get this time were some great pictures:

We make it to the MK and get there in time for the Flag Ceremony at the end of the day. Hey – it’s on my list of overlooked things to do, so we watch. It was really nice.

So we do slowly make our way up Main Street with me grabbing every PhotoPass person I can find….I knew I was buying that disc at the end – DH did not (but more on that on tomorrow’s trip report)

And then we start taking more pictures of the Castle – I can never have enough!!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #51
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Dinner at CRT - part 2

Our ADR was for 5pm – figured we would be out just in time for the party to start at 7pm. Normally I would put everything about dinner in the dining report – that’s what it is for right? But this is more an experience (yes I hear about half of you – including DH – gagging right about now) so I’ll keep my food comments to a minimum and just give you more the overall feel.

We checked in and were called pretty quickly. That meant we had to get a long SLOW line to get the picture with Cinderella that came with dinner. Now I know why we got called so quickly – they said to get the photo done and then come up. Well – it looked like we were in for at least a 20-30 minute wait.

So we wait – and then off to our side, a dad is trying to get back into line with his family and trips over the velvet ropes that they have us walking through…so my DH goes to grab him before he hits the floor. He did mange to grab him, but somehow while helping DH got his had caught in the twisted rope right by where it clips to the post, and yep – you guessed it – totally pulled his fingers out of joint. It was instant pain and DH was in a lot of it. I’m the weenie in the family with pain, so if DH is hurt, you know it is bad. At first I thought – and I think he did too – that he would just shake it off. But nope – it’s getting worse. OK – time to get to first aid and I happen to know exactly where that is thanks to the trip with my dad two years ago (hmmmm – maybe I should do a really late TR on that) huh – ok, back on topic.

So I walk up to the hostess and ask if there is anyway they can hold our ADR and explain what happened. Well they are more than happy to hold it if we want to go to first aid. But now DH is saying it’s not so bad and could he maybe just get some ice. He wants to see if ice helps before going to first aid. So not only do they bring him ice, they throw us into the front of the line to get our picture so we can get to dinner sooner and then decide if we want first aid or not. Well, DH is in no mood to have his picture taken – he is still in pain, I tried to coax him a little but knew he really didn’t want to be in the picture. OK twist my arm – I’ll do it by myself

Here’s where the picture would normally be, but DH was using his good hand to hold the ice on his now bad fingers, so I only have the pictures that they bring you and forgot to scan one in. So just picture me and Cinderella and there you have it

Now only about 5 or 10 minutes had elapsed during everything that took place above. Hey I know DH is in pain, BUT it got us out of waiting in the line that still looked like it hadn’t moved. That was a bright side

So up to dinner we go. When we get to our table – yeah! It has Cinderella confetti on it! On some of our ADR’s when we were asked if we were celebrating anything, I said yes – this was our 15th anniversary trip (no where did I ever say wedding anniversary, just anniversary – this is important later) So I then CAREFULLY pick up all the castles and carriages and put them in my purse (where I think they still are) Not sure what I’ll use them for, but I do know I’m keeping them!!!

DH is starting to feel a little better and could not resist taking just a wonderful picture of me - hey I love the castle what can I say!!

So our server comes by - don’t you just love how they refer to you as Lords and Ladies…c’mon I know that’s not just me. He explains how it all works now – ours was paid on a CC – so we make our choices. We then proceed to take a couple more shots of the inside (cause I can never have enough)

I must add I also have my video camera with me, so we have plenty on the castle.

Our appetizers come and whoops he brought an extra one – he had written down three things for the two of us…we probably confused him as we were debating what we wanted. No worries – he leaves us with the extra one. Fine by us.

Our main courses came – we both had the prime rib - and were surprised at how good it was...DH declared it one of the best meals of the trip. Maybe it was because we weren’t expecting much – I mean you go to CRT for the atmosphere not the food necessarily right?

So after dinner, the show with the Fairy Godmother and the Mice started. Very cute and more interactive than I expected.

The Fairy Godmother then asked if anyone in the restaurant was celebrating an anniversary. Well it was our 15th anniversary (ok technically it was like ten days earlier) so DH raised his hand.

So she now singles us out as we are the only people celebrating an anniversary. It was all very cute and I have great video of it. She then asks how many years of wedded bliss. Well DH – who may I add is usually the quiet one of the two of us and who I did not think would get into this at all – is suddenly quite into it. He says 15 years in response to her question. She says some nice comments about how we don’t look like we could be married that long and such. But I don’t remember because I am in shock that he gave the Fairy Godmother the wrong answer. I think basically my reaction after kicking him under the table was “You lied to the Fairy Godmother!!” Yes I realize how goofy that sounds coming out of my thirty-six year old mouth – but hey he did. He said it just slipped out…since we were celebrating fifteen together. But she said wedded, so that answer should have been for four years.

The mice then came around for a very quick photo op – so quick that when it was DH’s turn I couldn’t get to the camera fast enough…so I have a picture, but have him on video.

Our desserts came after the performance and were also good. Since I never did figure out between the cost of the meal and taxes what kind of automatic tip was figured in, we said the heck with it and asked. We were going to leave extra anyway (as we had all trip) and our server said it was about 13% - ouch. He was getting a nice tip anyway, but if that’s the case, I’m shocked they still have people willing to work at CRT. Maybe someone can clear that up for me. I make DH take one more picture that we always take and we are on our way.

So on our way out, we stop to take pictures of the inside of the Castle that is not CRT – and I bet if I go back and look at old photos we have some of the exact ones from past trips!

OH – when we headed outside we went over to the Cinderella drinking fountain – also on my overlooked attractions that when you bend down to drink, it looks like she is wearing the crown. We tried all angles and never got it to work by bending down.
BUT – taking a picture straight on it does look like she is wearing the crown.

We had a great time at CRT and yes, I’m one of those people who will probably continue to pay for it, no matter what it ends up costing – although DH would probably disagree. Dinner did last about two hours so it was perfect timing for us to get outside just in time for the beginning of MNSSHP.

Last edited by TyRy; 03-08-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #52
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Oooh we're eating at CRT in August and can't wait, I can vaguely remember eating there years ago when it was King Stephans. I would have kept that confetti too
Old 03-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #53
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Just found your trip report and I'm up to date. Love the pictures! We're heading to the World in September and were thinking about CRT, but I'm not sure my ds13 would like it... It does look fun, though.

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 03-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #54
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Post Mickey’s Hand is in my Pocket!

OK, my turn.

-DH

Click here to see TyRy's Dis binder growth over time...
< "Miss you, mom."
Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #55
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Arrow Mickey’s Hand was in DH's Pocket! | DH's defense :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
DH (38) - Not obsessed and tired of hearing about all things Disney. Thinks WDW should be a relaxing vacation
hahahaha...see, I can understand trying to fit a large agenda into a small trip, but you end up seeing less!
DH says < "Take your time...walk slowly, soak it all in . . . revel in the magic!"

Quote:
I’m a planner – I’ll admit it upfront. Hello, my name is Ty and I’m an obsessive compulsive WDW planner.
AND thank god for that! If it were up to me, we'd be sleeping in a rental car, pay gate price for tickets, and have no rezzies.
But I have to wonder: is it possible that some, like TyRy, may just love planning as much as than being there? OK, that sounds CRAZY, I know...but, the anticipation seems almost as great! Thankfully it ALWAYS exceeds our expectations, or she'd have wasted a LOT of time lol...

Quote:
at 30 days and 14 days, DH FINALLY looks at what I’ve been e-mailing him for SIX months and says where is this restaurant or where is this? WHAT???
err...for the record, I still have 47 of those emails regarding this trip to read.
(shhh...I told her I read them all. I had about 250 going back over a year, got down to about 75 before the trip, and read 28 our first night there)

Now, If I read something from any of those remaining 47 emails and find we didn't cover it the way I would have wanted, I'm gonna be mad!
Then she'll say, "OK, WELL THAT MEANS WE HAVE TO GO BACK! YAY! TIME TO PLAN ANOTHER TRIP!"

Quote:
OK – it’s now the Tuesday before we leave, and DH decides: a) we should be flying Then b) we’ll drive straight thru as he does not want to leave on Thursday night. OK – HOLD ON! We’ve had plans for months and now they are all going out the window
DH's DEFENSE:
a) My work schedule is tight, and job security was getting very stressful last October. I can't just leave work and "relax" behind the wheel for a nice l o n g journey south. Our original plan had me leaving work, and driving all night right off the bat! No way! I need to unwind...Sooooo,
b) I figured we'd drive through so we wouldn't lose a day at the parks, and we'd miss Atlanta traffic as we'd be passing thru at night.
Good plan in theory, bad plan if you start off with 4 bad hours of sleep!!!

MORE TO COME . . .

< "Miss you, mom."
Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #56
krismom
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

You guys are too cute! great report...
Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 AM   #57
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Old 03-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #58
KimAshton
DIS Veteran

How did I miss your TR??? Read it all.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #59
tigger536
DIS Veteran

Great TR! I started with your dining reviews too! (I don't know what that says about me if I go for the food first, LOL!)

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! More please!
CR 1993, 2006; GF 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2000-2001, 2001, 2001-2002, 2011; CSR 1999-2000; Poly 2002, 2002-2003, 2003, 2003-2003, 2004 2010; AKL 2004-2005, BW 2005; ASMu 2005; POR 2007; off-site 1994, 2011

DFTW WP/GF/UK 4.2.11
Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #60
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Arrow Mickey’s Hand was in DH's Pocket! | DH's defense :-) ,pt. 2

Quote:
DH said we could switch, but somehow it was suddenly 8 hours later and he was still driving. GREAAATTTT – now I get to drive all night. I usually don’t sleep well in the car, plus I could hear Mickey calling my name, so there was no napping.
hehe...next time she'll drive the whole way dare!

Quote:
So we decided that we will do 57-24-65-231-10-75 (thanks SpiceyCat for the absolutely awesome directions.)
I loved that route...no problems whatsoever. I believe going through Atlanta is faster when there's no traffic, no construction, but is that ever a reality anymore?? You just have to keep up with the speed limits, no sight-seeing (unless time is not of the essence (but when heading to Disney, how could it not be??!)).

Quote:
Ummmm – it’s hurricane season and I don’t recall AL being in tornado alley so what the heck are tornadoes doing here? The reports are coming fast and furious and DH is trying to circle each town where there is a warning and drawing little tornadoes when one is confirmed. He’s also now trying to figure out a way around the storms and I’m starting to panic.
Man, that was INCREDIBLE! That was one of the most exciting parts of the trip. I was starting to get a bit sick, and this took my mind away from it.
That guy on the radio, I want to say it was like 87.9 FM Birmingham or thereabouts, was FANTASTIC. Dave something.
He performed such an exciting play-by-play of the tornado action I felt like I was listening to a 1950's baseball radio broadcast!

I have his name and station on the back of the map I was annotating; I will post such when I check it out later. That man deserves is props. He really gave us a great picture of what was happening, and guided us where and when to go through the state. We actually stayed the course, but followed along as the Tornadoes were heading East, just past our expressway.

Likewise, I will scan the map with my drawings and post them here for all...

Quote:
I’m still not sleeping due to the caffeine, so I became a two year old and kept asking how far it was to Orlando as I was sure we missed it and would be in Key West at any moment.
UMMM...^^^ that had nothing to do with the caffeine LOLOL!!!

...MORE TO COME! -DH

< "Miss you, mom."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: