Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #31
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaynexox View Post
Wow I love your TR! I was in love with your dining reviews and now this as wel! ! Great job!
Awwwwwwwwww thanks so much Blaynexox!! I really enjoy writing them when I have the time which has been rare lately - that's why it is taking me forever to get this TR and DR up.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #32
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Chapter 10 - Part 1: Animal Kingdom Lodge

Before I start this I need to ask all the AKL lovers to just bear with me until the end of the trip - ok, disclaimer over...on to the trip report.

Well it was time to say goodbye to my MK view – as small as it was – and head over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had never even visited this hotel, so we were looking forward to seeing it, although DH was way more excited then I was. Oh – another surprise – DH didn’t argue about getting up at a fairly early time so we could check-in by 10am. So we make it over to the AKL…booo, no pre-printed parking pass like I had at the WL. I know it’s a small thing but it bugged me at the time. Of course, since it was not DVC back then, they also didn’t say “Welcome Home” which we got most of the time at the WL. I made DH go through the guard each time at the WL just so I could hear that!

So he drops me off so I could check-in…WOW – what a line. You would think that they would have every station manned on a Saturday morning, but nope. Just a couple people working. It took about a half hour to check-in. DH had time to take some pictures while waiting for me to come back out (which I never did!) (DON't click on the link....it's for the first picture posted...I just can't figure out how to get ride of it, without turning the next one into a link instead of a photo as well!!)

DH finally comes in – he figured I was taking forever to get a specific room/view like I did at the WL Nope – I was just waiting in the forever line. But by the time I got up to check-in the rush was over...guess I was just a little to late to beat the rush - or too early and should have gotten there around 11.

Sadly no upgrades for us, so I’m very happy that I booked a pool view instead of a standard. The surprise came in that our room was ready. Cool –no just wandering until 3 o’clock.

Hmmmm, AKL is dark, but I had heard that so it was no surprise, I just didn’t think it would be that dark. It wasn’t too bad a trek to our room once we figured out where we were going. We were on the 5th floor, Giraffe Trail – I had requested a high floor, once again thanks to the Disboards. So we make it to our room,

open the door, and I was just like “Oh – I guess it’s ok”.

We were lucky in that our pool view was completely unobstructed – one of the few that looked that way we later discovered.

And DH pointed out that if we looked way out, we could see the water tower at MGM and the TOT…didn’t matter to me – wasn’t a castle!

Now it was time to get settled – there was just something about the AKL that was not making me happy. I looked at DH and stated I wanted to go back to the WL!!!! At first he tried to remind me we hadn’t even explored yet, but I was just in the mood of I don’t like this…eventually it started to even wear off on him. We started taking pictures of what was worse in our room compared to the WL:
No flat screen or dimming light about the table/mirror:

No multiple plugs up on the table for plugging in different electronics at the same time – only a regular one under the table:

No hat rack:

No outlets on wall in the room

The only better thing we found was the light in the bathroom was half over the shower and half not, so you were never in darkness. The one in the WL was not over both, so you would always end up with it being a little dim.

So you get the idea – my crabbiness was catching. So then we decided to go explore. Thank god DH has a sense of direction or I might still be wandering down there (but then again would that really be a bad thing? ) So as we are out wandering and taking pictures,

I happen to overhear another couple who is repeating just about word for word everything I was complaining about. We stop and ask them if they just switched as well. They had and the wife was not happy – just like me, and her DH kept trying to tell her to give it a chance, that it’s just different – which my DH tried to tell me when I did not have him on my crabby train.

Continued in next post (too many pictures).....
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*

Last edited by TyRy; 01-11-2007 at 11:40 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #33
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Chapter 10 Part 2: AKL

We see the pool – looks nice, and finally see a savannah and a guide. That was pretty cool seeing the animals, but not as nice as seeing the castle!

So a little more exploring, trying to find the Victoria Falls Lounge which we did and did not even realize it at first.

Even DH had to admit to be a little disappointed at the set-up of the bar….the one at the WL just blows this one away (which is something I have not changed my mind on.)

Then trying to figure out how to get to the restaurants and stuff

So we go back up to the room to relax and so I can continue pointing out why the WL is better. DH finally gives up and decides that we should go down by the pool and have a drink at the pool bar.

We get to the bar and DH is now very happy. Turns out they have a beer he really likes on tap, which you can only get out east and not back home:

So I order my poolside lemonade and the bartender lets us know that if I bring my plastic glass back, the refills are cheaper. REALLY??? – sweet! Cause I think I’m going to need a lot of them over the next few days! Oh – and the bartenders at the WL pool bar neglected to tell us this fact.

I’d read a lot about the Culinary Tour, so after our drinks DH and my still somewhat crabby self managed to be at the Jiko podium on time. There was just two other people, a father and son. We had a great CM who brought us into Jiko, met the chef and tasted a few things.

I’m not an adventurous eater but tried little bites, while DH really enjoyed everything. Our CM then returned and let us know that we would not be able to tour Boma as everyone was in the Lobby celebrating an Independence Day (sorry – can’t remember which country) so that was semi-disappointing as I was looking forward to the Boma part. But it just fed into my “I want to go back to the WL” rant I was still on.

Dinner that night was scheduled for Jiko and this is where we had the longest wait of the trip. The CM asked if there were any allergies, so I added that I am allergic to chocolate – WHAT – yes I hear the gasping. Even DH tried to argue with me. I just knew that I was in unfamiliar territory with the food and if I even get close to real chocolate that I will be ill. Just the smell of walking into Godiva here in Chicago almost knocks me out, and not in a good way. So we get that settled and we grab our beeper and waited, wandered, waited, finally got a drink, waited, met another couple who told us how much they loved the AKL, and finally got our table. Of course the crabby me pointed out how we did not wait all week more then 5 minutes and here we were waiting 20 or 30 minutes. And may I also add that the waiting area was a complete zoo with all the people waiting for Boma.

Dinner ended up being pretty good and we even had a comped dessert for our anniversary.

After that it was back to the room for a good night sleep – being crabby and whiny all day takes a lot out of you.

OH – and we never did figure out the trick with the thermostats…I had even read and printed out from the Disboards on how to disable the auto shut-off….and it looked like someone else had tried too as there was a big dent in our thermostat.

Up next – we go off property (GASP!) and will I ever stop being crabby!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #34
tiggerbell
DIS Veteran

You know you've reached the height of boredom at work when you enter your own name into the DisBoards search engine - but look where it took me!!!

I'm thrilled and honored to be among those you list as favorites... thank you.

Now that I've posted, and thusly subscribed, I will read from the TOP!

So far, all I've read (besides my name ) is the last line "off property" and "stop being crabby". Sounds like me (well, not the "off property" part, but the "crabby" for sure!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #35
Kay7979
DIS Veteran

Very good report! You have a lot of fantastic photos and I'm enjoying the way you describe your experiences. Very entertaining. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #36
tiggerbell
DIS Veteran

Well, I've read it all and I love how you tell the story! I'm headin' over to the dining report portion!
Old 02-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #37
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Thanks so much Tiggerbell - so do you! And now that things have calmed down with my work, I might be able to finish my report!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #38
PrincessNED
I can certainly attest it was not a man
Those blasters from star wars could keep the eggs warm at least

great report - awaiting more !!

CBR 10 nights Jamaica - May 2006
CSR 8 nights - Dec 2007
POP 8 nights - Nov 2010

Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #39
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerbell View Post
You know you've reached the height of boredom at work when you enter your own name into the DisBoards search engine - but look where it took me!!!

So far, all I've read (besides my name ) is the last line "off property" and "stop being crabby". Sounds like me (well, not the "off property" part, but the "crabby" for sure!!!
LOL - too funny! Thanks again Tiggerbell - we Berwyn girls have to stick together. Now if I could only figure out a way to go back as much as you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay7979 View Post
Very good report! You have a lot of fantastic photos and I'm enjoying the way you describe your experiences. Very entertaining. Thanks.
Thanks Kay7979! I'm glad people are enjoying it - I'm enjoying reliving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessNED View Post
great report - awaiting more !!
You ask you shall receive - next part going up today!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #40
TyRy
It is making me nutty

This day started off pretty good, as I was FINALLY able to get my Mickey waffle that I had been missing while at the WL. That was a small point for AKL, but not enough that I liked it yet.

We then headed over to Universal. Being a weekend I figured we were really in for it since we did not repurchase the front of the line passes. We also took our sweet time getting there. Well, I was wrong. I think the longest wait we had was parking our car and standing in line to get in.

We only hit the “original” Universal Studios…no Islands of Adventure for us, so that may have been where the crowds were. The park was basically empty. We actually rode a couple of things that we had not before, such as ET and saw Shrek, and did favorites like Terminator 3D. The backlot streets were not even that crowded – as you can tell by our pictures.

There was a small (like 15 min) wait for The Mummy, but we skipped that as DH cannot handle visual rides – like Star Tours or Body Wars – and we weren’t sure if there was any of that on the ride. But think about it – that is the newest ride, yet even that movie was out a hundred years ago.

I also seem to remember a backlot tour at Universal – not anymore. Couldn’t find that anywhere. So that’s gone, and of course so are the fun things like star in a movie with characters from that movie. We made a hilarious one in ’95 of us and Star Trek Next Generation. Of course, that was already gone in 2000, still sucks that they haven’t brought that back.

One of the cool things they did have was where you stand just so, and this little miniature looks like a giant thing. We found the space shuttle one – worked really cool.

Between DH and myself we discussed how Universal better start pouring a little more money into this park, or it seems as if it will be doomed. No wonder you can buy a park pass for both parks for less than one day at Disney – you only need a couple hours to see the whole park!!!

After just a few hours we headed back to Disney (yeah) – I hate having to leave the property for any reason Took a couple more pics around the AKL before returning to our room.

Was I starting to warm up to it…not really. It was ok and we finally figured out the quickest way to get from point a to point b, but I was still a little crabby.

Looking at the animals was also starting to warm me up to the AKL, but I wasn’t about to become a devotee just yet.

We finally went back to our room and found a towel thing – not an animal but still a little something. That helped

For dinner that night I had planned a nice romantic evening at Narcoossee’s. How the heck did I know that the Chicago Bears had a night game against Seattle six months ago when I made ADR’s? Of course, DH was NOT budging. He was going to ESPN Zone no matter what to watch the game. Fine – I can go and pout. But wait – his parents are here. And while his mom and I are both big fans, we wanted to enjoy Disney while we had a chance. Yeah! Problem solved. DH would go with his dad to ESPN and I would go with DMIL to our nice romantic dinner at Narcoossee’s

We took a couple more pics on our way out of the lodge, as we were just kind of wandering since we had a little time to spare.

We met up at ESPN with DH’s parents and then DMIL and I headed over to Narcoossee’s. Dinner was really nice and yummy. We were seated facing the MK so you could see the castle and then Wishes. We were not up against the windows, but on the other side of the aisle. That worked out great as people blocked the windows when they went onto the porch, but we were far enough back that we did not have that problem.

DMIL and I then headed back to ESPN to watch the end of the game. We figured the guys would be crabby as we were playing Seattle and they had a really good team. So we both underestimated the Bears that night, as when we arrived they were totally beating up on the Seahawks. Yeah again – no crabby guys. I also managed to collect one of only THREE light up cubes that I got the whole trip. It came in my Year of a Million Dreams Martini.

DH also really liked how they kept pitchers of beer cold – with an ice thing.

Then it was back to the Lodge. It is really dark at night, but it’s also kind of a warm glow that just sucks you in – wait – did I just say something nice about the AKL? Hmmm, maybe it is starting to get to me.

Our room was right next to the windows and right across from elevators we figured out would take us to the pool – only saw other people in them once the whole time. That was kind of cool – uh-oh, did I just say another nice thing about the AKL…..

We were going to go have a drink, but I was just tooooo tired, so we called it a night. Tomorrow we will sleep in till 8:30am! Had an ADR at Boma for breakfast and since DH actually wanted to go there he may get up on time! And then tomorrow night it’s MNSSHP!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #41
ReneeDisney
Off to Neverland.....

Great trip report! I'm enjoying your photos as well!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #42
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeDisney View Post
Great trip report! I'm enjoying your photos as well!
Thanks ReneeDisney. I'm just glad we brough the laptop with us so we could dump our photos each day from the camera to it. I think we took a little over a thousand pics.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #43
tiggerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
LOL - too funny! Thanks again Tiggerbell - we Berwyn girls have to stick together. Now if I could only figure out a way to go back as much as you do!
Whoa! Wait! WE Berwyn girls???
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #44
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerbell View Post
Whoa! Wait! WE Berwyn girls???
Yep - I'm on the north side of Berwyn
Old 02-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #45
CrispyCruiser
Earning My Ears

Great TR, TyRy! We are heading to the World in 16 days and between this and your meal report, have me craving a Mickey waffle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: