Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Glendamax
LOVES Old English Roses china at the Grand Floridian!

Mom & Gmax September 2006 w/Pics!

September 8-14 2006
Port Orleans French Quarter
Cast: Mom and Me (Gmax)

If you like really long trip reports with LOTS of personal info and excellent narratives, then you may want to skip this one. I WILL try to do better than last year's, but a juicey novel, this is not . . .

Arrival Day- Friday
After a year of planning and payments, it was finally time for another Mother-Daughter trip to Disney World! My Mother is not as excited about Disney as I am, so planning was a bit difficult. She was not excited about certain ADR's I finally got, nor was she concerned that the castle may have a crane next to it when we got there. But fortunantly during this trip, she was able to see what all the planning was about!

We flew Airtran out of Baltimore, and were so excited to go!

We arrived in Orlando about 3pm, and caught the Magical Express to French Quarter. I was soooo excited to finally see that we were finally there!

When we checked in at 4pm, we were told that our room was not ready. That even though check in is at 3pm, rooms are not guaranteed before 5pm. Disappointed, I suggested that we take a look at the resort, and catch the boat over to Riverside to eat dinner in Boatwrights at 5pm.

We got to Boatwrights just as they were openning. To my delight, the same waitress I had last year, Patricia, was our waitress again!And of course again, Patricia was great!

After we were seated awhile, a woman walked up to our table and said "I'm just going to take a chance". She then slammed down 2 Mickeys with "PrincessV" printed on them and glow bracelets attached! I jumped up and gave her a hug! She had definetly undone the disappointment of being "roomless".

For dinner, I had the salmon, which was really good.
My Mother had Prime Rib, which was a bit undercooked. I was soooo sorry about this since this was her first meal of the trip
We had also had crab cakes for the appetizer, pecan pie for dessert, and flavored sodas: watermelon and blackberry! The total was $77.66. But of course, we were on the plan!

After dinner we called a number which told us our room number. However, we were also told that we had to stand back in the check in line to see what our room number was, because it had been changed, we had been upgraded from standard to pool view, and they needed to change our room keys. Unfortuantly, the line was LONG. I finally get to a CM who tells me that I did not have to stand in line, that we could go straight to the room We go to the room in Bldg 5, and the keys do NOT work. By this time, the pixie dust from PrincessV is starting to wear off. We go back to the front desk, and they "fix" the keys. We go back to the room again, and FINALLY get into the room!

Our bags weren't there yet, but at least we had a "home". Finally we were off to EPCOT to see Illuminations. It was really good. I wore the glow bracelet that PrincessV gave us! YES! Both of them worked! We sat on a bench with a young woman and her Grandparents. She was alot of fun. Her Grandfather did ask how we were able to afford the trip. He said that he did not understand how we were able to afford to come to Disney World. I said, "We'll if you work all year and save your money, it isn't a problem". He still looked a bit confused. I do forget that some people do not realize that we travel too.

After Illuminations, we rode Malestrom. We were going to ride Test Track, but there was a 20min wait. I forgot where we went after that, but we got turned around trying to find the exit! It was SOOOOO dark in some sections, and when we looked up, we could not see the EPCOT ball. When we asked a cast member about exiting, even he got turned around! Finally, he found another cast member, and they were able to point the way. I do NOT remember EPCOT being this dark at night! We finally got back to the room about 10:30pm

Day 2-Saturday
EPCOT DAY!!! The fantasy was finally a reality, I was waking up in Disney World! The night before I set up a wake up call so my Mother could answer the phone and be surprised. I looked at the clock, and had under five minutes before the call, so I went into the bathroom. The phone finally rang . . .and rang . . . rang . . . and rang . . . then stopped. My mother did NOT answer it!!!! A few minutes later the phone rang . . . and rang . . . then she finally answered! I asked who it was. She said that it was some haracter telling her to wake up. She said," I was trying not to kill you, but I might just have to!" And so, our day began.

This day I wore my "DISboards" shirt. As we were walking towards the park, a Lady stopped me and said "I just had to say hello to you because of your shirt". Her son started to tell me her screen name but she stopped him. She said that she's on the DISboards all the time. I told her how excited I was about the trip, but sad that I would not be online for a whole week! Her husband just shook his head! So hello "Mystery" DISer!

Finally, we round the corner to EPCOT!

This was our first full day, AND my Mother's first chance to see a rope drop ceremony. I'm looking . . . waiting . . . taking pictures . . .hmmmm, where are all the people going? THERE IS NO ROPE DROP CEREMONY!!! Everybody is already headed to SOARIN!!!! NOOOO!!!!! So off we go . . .

Of course there was no wait when we got there.
As we were standing in line, I told my Mother about getting Fast Passes so we can ride it again. She looked at me like I was crazy. My Mother does not like to do anything twice - not even watching a movie for the second time. But I told her that she would enjoy it, and if she wouldnt get on it a second time, I would! This is us in line.
This time I took off my sandals to enjoy the ride. My Mother was confused/upset . . . "Why are you taking your shoes off? What's going to happen to them? (she looks around to see if other people have their's off) Well what's going to happen if they are gone when you come back (she rolls her eyes). The people to her right are now listening in. You see, my Mother does not believe most of what I tell her. Even though I'd been on this about 4 times, to her I STILL don't know what I'm talking about.

Well, Soarin was GREAT! I pointed my toes down during the surfing part hoping to feel the ocean . . .

Last edited by Glendamax; 09-22-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

Great pics. Great trip!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
HMHunters
Extra credit to anyone with a picture of one of the Gibb brothers
Can it get any better than that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendamax
Her Grandfather did ask how we were able to afford the trip. He said that he did not understand how we were able to afford to come to Disney World. I said, "We'll if you work all year and save your money, it isn't a problem". He still looked a bit confused. I do forget that some people do not realize that we travel too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendamax
You see, my Mother does not believe most of what I tell her. Even though I'd been on this about 4 times, to her I STILL don't know what I'm talking about.
Sounds familiar, except with me it's my dad.

Great TR! Keep it coming!

WL Jan 2008 POFQ January 2007 Offsite Nov 2005 AKL Christmas 2004 POFQ Nov 2002 CR Christmas 2001 CR Christmas 1998 Offsite honeymoon May 1988
Completed WDW Full Marathon 2008 Completed WDW Half Marathon 2007
Old 09-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Glendamax

Day 2 Continued . . .(It was my intention for this to be one post, but I didn't know there was a limit of images and such. So I had to break it up.)

After Soarin, we rode Imagination
Test track - I got video on this. It's funny hearing me scream on it!
Mission Space - the tame version was great! I didn't get sick, and it still felt real. We ran into the "Mystery DISer" here too!

We did Soarin again, and ate lunch at Seasons.

Sweet and sour chicken, noodles, broccoli, Butterfinger cheesecake, and lemon flavored water. YES! This was very good!

It was time for our break. On the way out, we popped in the character greeting.

Then we rode Spaceship Earth. It's so weird that this is a walk on now. I remember in 1984 waiting almost 2 hours to get on this!

As we were leaving the park, I saw a guy get on BOTH knees and propose. She said yes. It was just the two of them, and they looked so happy.

Back at the resort, we just layed around, showered, and changed for our dinner reservation at Coral Reef that night.

I have to go now, but next I'll tell you about our dinner, and Day 3! Thanks for reading so far!

Last edited by Glendamax; 09-22-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
TwinkieMama
Ummmm.... can I phone a friend? ask the audience?
There have been know to be subliminal messages on these riddle threads
pre-twinkies I was a genetic mutator

Welcome back Bo Derek!

I am enjoying your report and looking forward to more!
Old 09-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
yankeepenny
YANKEE Sock Crocker

GlendaMax- so far soooooo good. can hardly wait to read the rest!

Gleeker in every sense.

Thing 1 & Thing 2
Old 09-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

What are those panels in your pictures, it looks like solar pannels. Plus you look really familiar, do you post on the CB, with a different picture in your signature. You crack me up with your mom. I wish my mom would have done trips like that, she is to attached to the hip with my dad, love my dad, but never a mom and me trip.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
dixiedizfan
DIS Veteran

Yours was the trip report I was looking forward to most ... and now I see why. Excellent pictures and descriptions; I love hearing all the details of how your days went. Thank you so much for sharing this with us ... can't wait for the rest!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
Glendamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari
What are those panels in your pictures, it looks like solar pannels.
They have tiny pictures of people on them. So sorry, but I didnt get a close up.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far! Still trying to upload photos on photobucket so I can write some more. As for now, I'm going to sleep. YES it's early! Don't judge me!!!!!! I'm so slee-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
Eeyore's Tiara
DIS Veteran

Glenda, I am so jealous! You already have your pictures back and online. you're quicker than a speeding bullet! I'm loving the trip report and pictures of you and your mom. Ya'll are so cute together. Now remember, we want your mom's version of your trip too!
Miss you!
In memory of my late husband: (1957-2008)
Old 09-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
JJClemson
DIS Veteran

I am enjoying your TR. My mom and I did a mother-daughter trip in Aug at POFQ. Great minds
Old 09-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
Lan
D23 Charter Year Member

Hi GM!!!

I am lovin' the trip report girl with the pictures. Don't have us waiting too long for the next installment.
WDW - Pin & Vinylmation Events Sept 12-15
WDW - Food & Wine Oct 11-14
WDW - Dec 5-8

WDW Marathon Weekend Jan 7-12
WDW Princess Half Marathon Weekend Feb 19-23
DCL Magic - Southern Caribbean Cruise Sept 27- Oct 4
Blog: DizThruBrownEyes.com
Old 09-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
katiesmomluvsdizne
Miami Student & fan. Miami U in Ohio, the one that was a University when FL still belonged to Spain

Hi GMax!
Great report!
I am so glad that you took pics of your window. I was trying to explain to my DD why we had to go to HD and take ALL of the LGMHPCs. She is 9 and just wasn't gettin what I was sayin'.
But mom we have been to WDW before and you have never stole paint things!
Yes but Katie I only lurked around the DIS then, I didn't actually stop and chat like I do now. T
hen she was really confused! Now she saw your pic and she is all about it!! We are staying at POFQ too.
Other than a green shirt, did you have anything else on, that made mystery DISer stop and talk to you?
Looking foward to more installments. Love the pics by the way!
Old 09-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

Hi! I am loving your TR! I look forward to reading more!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

Love the pictures!!!! Your mom looks like she was having fun on Journey into Imagination!!! Looking forward to more.
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 AS Music FS *

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: