Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #31
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

I just got an email from Disney with a .pdf recipe for Tonga Toast, from Kona Cafe, that you can save and/or print out.
mtblujeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #32
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

King Arthur: Oatmeal Muffins

Oatmeal Muffins

Oatmeal muffins are a real back-to-basics treat. The taste of these will probably bring you back to your childhood, when a bowl of steaming oatmeal on the table was a wintertime constant. Don't expect a big blast of flavor from these; they're designed to be mild, a comfortable complement to the more assertively spiced soup they accompany.

1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil or softened butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
cinnamon-sugar for topping (optional)

Preheat your oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin pan; or line the pan with papers, and grease the papers.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, sugar, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, beat together milk, oil or butter, eggs, and vanilla.

Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing only enough to blend. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, if desired.

Bake muffins for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove muffins from pan and cool completely on wiare rack. Yield: 12 muffins.

I am thinking of adding dried cranberries....YUM!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #33
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

Ham and Tater Tot Casserole

1 lb. frozen tater tots
1/2 lb. diced ham
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 green pepper
3/4 C cheese
6 eggs
1/2 C milk

In crockpot (sprayed with cooking spray) layer tater tots, ham, onion, green pepper, and cheese. Repeat this 2 times, ending with cheese. In a bowl beat the eggs/milk (add salt/pepper to taste) and pour over mixture. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours. (Overnight works perfectly!)

Notes: we don't like onions or peppers so I omit those and use a can of mushrooms instead.

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #34
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

Gorilla Bread - it's like monkey bread but sooooo much better!!

1/2 C granulated sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C (1 stick) butter
1 C packed brown sugar
1 8-oz package cream cheese
1 (12 oz) cans refrigerated biscuits (10 count)
1-1/2 C coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix granulated sugar and cinnamon. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside. Cut the cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Press the biscuits out with your fingers and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Place 1/2 of the prepared biscuits in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour half of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of nuts. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter sugar mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place a plate on top and invert.

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #35
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyJen View Post

1/2 C granulated sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C (1 stick) butter
1 C packed brown sugar

Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix granulated sugar and cinnamon. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside. Cut the cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Press the biscuits out with your fingers and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Place 1/2 of the prepared biscuits in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour half of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of nuts. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter sugar mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place a plate on top and invert.
I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it but it sounds really good!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #36
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

Cappuccino Cinnamon Rolls

Cappuccino Cinnamon Rolls (from Taste of Home)

Prep: 45 mins + rising Bake: 25 mins. Yield: 1 dozen

1 pkg. (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110º to 115º)
¾ cup warm milk (110º to 115º)
½ cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 ¼ tsp. Salt
5 ½ cups to 6 cups all purpose flour

Filling:

¼ cup butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 tsp. Instant coffee granuales
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Icing:

1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 to 2 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. cappuccino mix
1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the warm milk, buttermilk, sugar, butter, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 – 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Roll into an 18-in. X 12-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Combine the brown sugar, coffee granules, and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within ½ inch of edges.

Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place rolls, cut side down, in a greased 13-in. X 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 350º for 22 – 28 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack. In small bowl, beat the icing ingredients until smooth. Spread over rolls. Serve warm.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 AM   #37
retiredkid
Your shots make me want to try again at night
This is gonna be good I can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyJen View Post

1/2 C granulated sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C (1 stick) butter
1 C packed brown sugar

I'm making these on the weekend... they sound so yummy!!
Question, though. we have 10 biscuits and 20 cubes of cheese..... do we cut the biscuits in half first? Maybe this uses 2 cans of biscuits?
I can't wait to try these. thanks for sharing.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #38
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

Homemade Poptarts:

The latest experimental baking project: “Pop-Tarts”. I made two varieties, these filled with homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam, and another with a chocolate crust filled with Nutella (and attempting to mimic store-bought strawberry and chocolate Pop-Tarts, at least visually.)

I don't think I've gotten a crust that I'm happy with yet. Regular Pop-Tart crust is like dry pie crust, and I didn't want to go that route, but I figured that the crust needed to be a bit stronger than pie crust typically is. This time around, I tried an egg, but that doesn't appear to be the right answer, as the crust was too firm instead (albeit still tastier than stock Pop-Tart crust). I think that part of the problem was that I figured the extra fat in the egg would compensate for the extra liquid in the egg, but given the gluten that formed in the resulting dough, I think I figured wrong. The recipe below is as I prepped things last night; next time I'll probably drop the egg but add a little extra liquid and some vegetable shortening to keep a 3 part flour : 2 part fat : 1 part liquid ratio. The amounts here make about 6 pastries per recipe.

After setting up a bunch of shots in the kitchen this morning (and then eating the subject matter), I realized I didn't really get any good shots of the Nutella variety, but I'll include the recipe here for completeness’ sake, along with the recipe for the strawberry-rhubarb jam.

I shot these indoors despite a lot of good light outside, because my original thought was to get a few of them with the toaster in the background, and my mirror-finish toaster would not exactly work well outside. I ended up not liking any of the compositions in the shots I set up that way, unfortunately.

Ingredients

Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam

14 oz. rhubarb, diced
1 lb. 6 oz. strawberries, hulled and diced
1 lb. 4 oz. sugar
juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
3 tbl. balsamic vinegar
pinch salt
few grinds of black pepper

Pop-Tart Crust

8 oz. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbl. sugar
4 oz. cold butter, cut into cubes
1 egg
1 oz. ice water
1 oz. chilled vodka

Chocolate Pop-Tart Crust

7.5 oz. all-purpose flour
0.5 oz. dutch-process cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tbl. sugar
4 oz. cold butter, cut into cubes
1 egg
2 oz. chilled Frangelico liqueur

Pop-Tart Frosting

1 c. confectioner's sugar
milk

Chocolate Pop-Tart Frosting

1 c. confectioner's sugar
1 tbl. dutch-process cocoa powder
Frangelico

Directions

To make the jam

Combine all of the ingredients in a large pot and allow to sit until a good amount of juice comes out of the berries and soaks the sugar. Mash the berries with a potato masher. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture gels when a small amount is placed on a cold plate (mixture will be measure 220°F on a thermometer). Portion into containers and allow to cool, makes about 3 cups.

To make the Pop-Tart Crust

Combine the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the cubes of butter, and give 10-12 one second pulses, to cut the butter in. You should have pieces of butter about the size of small peas. Sprinkle the liquid ingredients over the mixture, and pulse just a few times to distribute. Pour onto plastic wrap, form into a small disc, and refrigerate at least one hour.

To make the Pop-Tarts

Preheat your oven to 325°F.

Roll out your dough very thin (I used some 2mm rolling pin spacers, and even that ended up baking a little thick). Cut into 3"x4.5" rectangles. Spread about 1-2 tbl. of the filling out in the middle of a rectangle, leaving the outer 1/3" or thereabouts clear. Brush an egg wash or some water on the outer border, lay on another rectangle of dough, and press the edges to seal (I used a straightedge to do the pressing). Puncture the top several times with a skewer, and transfer to a parchment- or Silpat-lined baking sheet. Store completed tarts in the refrigerator as you work.

Bake for 25 minutes, until the dough is cooked through and set up but not really browned much on the top. Remove to a cooling rack.

To frost the Pop-Tarts

Add just enough liquid to the sugar (and optional cocoa) to make a thick glaze (work just a tiny bit at a time; it doesn't take much liquid at all do do this, usually less than a tablespoon). Spread the glaze out over the cooled pastries. If you like, decorate with some colored sugar (I used raw sugar on the chocolate version), since that's similar to what Kellogg's does. Or not.

My only observation on the frosting is that this glaze is pretty obviously not what's on an actual Pop-Tart. I actually had some stuck-on residue catch fire in my toaster (wee little fire, but still, use caution.) I have a slotted toaster whose "baskets" close in on the pastry, which results in residue like this. Toaster ovens and slot toasters that don't do this will probably be fine, but pay attention if you do toast these.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #39
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

You can buy things called "toaster bags" http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10724/Lakeland-Toastabag-500which are reusable bags you can use to make a toasted sandwich in a slot toaster - this would prevent residue catching on lelemnts etc. I know amazon Uk also do them (and they do mail to the US) but you might be able to find them locally too.
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #40
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

That's a good idea!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #41
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

King Arthur Flour Doughnut Muffins recipe....with picture detail instructions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: