Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,139

'What's For Breakfast' Recipe Thread

I use my sure fire Betty Crocker recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes on the weekends. They taste just like Bisquick pancakes without the added preservatives:

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour*
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy; beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Cook pancakes on hot griddle until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown. Makes nine 4" pancakes.

*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.

Apple Cider Syrup

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons butter
1 apple peeled and chopped

In medium sauce pan over medium heat combine first 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and apples.

Makes about 2 cups

Orange Butter

1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
2 tablespoons orange juice

In small bowl, beat butter, orange peel, and juice until well blended. Refrigerate to chill.
mtblujeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer
 
ButterflyJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 331

mtblujeans, can you make the pancake batter the night ahead and allow it to sit in the fridge without it getting funky? I love to do this. It's so much easier to be able to just pour it out when you're half asleep.

That syrup sounds beyond divine. Oh yummy yummy yummy!!

Here's one we really love here, and have for dinner sometimes too.

Baked French Toast
1/4 c. butter
4 eggs
2/3 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar*
1 tsp. cinnamon
8 slices bread
Vanilla, optional

Melt butter in 10 x 15 pan in oven. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly into pan. Mix eggs and milk. Dip bread, soaking well. Bake at 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand 1 minute. Lift out sugar side up on serving platter.

NOTE: Use thick sliced French bread or Texas toast for best results.

* I used brown sugar in my recipe to give it a richer taste. Very yummy and it didn't need any syrup or anything on it! We also chopped up some pecans, sprinkled them over the sugar, then laid the bread over all. Excellent, excellent, excellent.
__________________
Me DH DD9 DD6

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-08-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,139

Yes, you can. If I remember correctly, it just raises up a little but it works just fine. That's a good idea.....make the night before! I like the sound of the recipe you have provided....we'll have to try it this weekend! I love breakfast for dinner.....yum!
mtblujeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage
 
piratesmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Defeating the Huns!
Posts: 8,590

DH loves pumpkin pancakes! I got this recipe from the Libby's site. Yummy!

Pumpkin Pancakes
2 c all-purpose flour
2 Tbl packed brown sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
12 fl. oz. CARNATION Evaporated Milk
½ c LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
¼ c water
1 large egg
2 Tbl vegetable oil
Chopped nuts (optional)

COMBINE flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in large bowl. Combine milk, pumpkin, water, egg and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; batter may be lumpy.

HEAT griddle or skillet over medium heat; brush lightly with oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle; cook until bubbles begin to burst. Turn and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Pumpkin Maple Sauce and nuts.


Pumpkin Maple Sauce
1¼ c Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 c maple syrup
¼ tsp ground cinnamon

Heat Pumpkin, syrup & cinnamon in small saucepan until warm.
__________________
Deb, Proud Mom to a member of the Bronze Medal winners at the Tae Kwon-Do World Championship 2007 (DS is the redhead)
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage
 
piratesmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Defeating the Huns!
Posts: 8,590

I had to run out this morning to take DD for yet another MRI so I didn't get to finish answering this.

I often make my pancake batter the night ahead. Or - I make a double batch & do more on Sunday morning. It gets a bit thicker once it sits, but is fine that way. I make Jiffy/Bisquick pancakes more often than the pumpkin ones posted above & throw frozen blueberries in them. Yum!

I love this recipe that someone posted on the board a couple years ago around Christmas. It's a do ahead recipe.

Breakfast Casserole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 Can crescent rolls*
1 Roll sausage (use any flavor sausage, maple is very good)
2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 Eggs
¼ C milk
Salt and pepper to taste


Spread crescent rolls in 9x12 pan
Fry sausage and drain, crumble and put on top of rolls
Sprinkle cheese over sausage
Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper
Pour egg mixture over cheese

Bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes or until firm


That's the way I copied the recipe...I forgot to note who originally posted it! Sorry I can't give credit!

We do it a little differently. Instead of crescent rolls, I use the frozen, shredded potatoes - either OreIda or Giant brand. They might be called "hash browns" - I can't remember. :confused

Anyway, I line the pan with the frozen potatoes & then layer as directed. However, I use 6 eggs instead of the 4 it calls for. We're not fond of the "clumps of meat coated in egg" consistency we got with only 4 eggs. And we always make it a point to get the maple flavored sausage...much better than the plain!
__________________
Deb, Proud Mom to a member of the Bronze Medal winners at the Tae Kwon-Do World Championship 2007 (DS is the redhead)
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
party of 3
i can't believe that i will have to put pants on
Hates it when they misplace the Crock Pot Sticky!
 
party of 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,127

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate
DH loves pumpkin pancakes! I got this recipe from the Libby's site. Yummy!

Pumpkin Pancakes
2 c all-purpose flour
2 Tbl packed brown sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
12 fl. oz. CARNATION Evaporated Milk
½ c LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
¼ c water
1 large egg
2 Tbl vegetable oil
Chopped nuts (optional)

COMBINE flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in large bowl. Combine milk, pumpkin, water, egg and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; batter may be lumpy.

HEAT griddle or skillet over medium heat; brush lightly with oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle; cook until bubbles begin to burst. Turn and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Pumpkin Maple Sauce and nuts.


Pumpkin Maple Sauce
1¼ c Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 c maple syrup
¼ tsp ground cinnamon

Heat Pumpkin, syrup & cinnamon in small saucepan until warm.




thanks piratesmate! i will have to try these! i love when it's pumpkin muffin time around here! dunkin donuts makes the best pumpkin muffins!

also piratesmate i must say, you have the best recipes! you must be quite the cook!!!! & hope your dd will be fine. i will send some pixie dust her way!
__________________
me dh ds

party of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage
 
piratesmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Defeating the Huns!
Posts: 8,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by party of 3
thanks piratesmate! i will have to try these! i love when it's pumpkin muffin time around here! dunkin donuts makes the best pumpkin muffins!

also piratesmate i must say, you have the best recipes! you must be quite the cook!!!! & hope your dd will be fine. i will send some pixie dust her way!
Thanks!

I've always liked to cook & bake, but most of my recipes were discovered because I get bored easily! I get tired of things after a year or two & am always looking for new stuff to make! DH is happy with whatever I make, so I can't blame him! I have to say that I wouldn't have nearly the collection I have if it weren't for the great people on this board!!
__________________
Deb, Proud Mom to a member of the Bronze Medal winners at the Tae Kwon-Do World Championship 2007 (DS is the redhead)
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer
 
ButterflyJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 331

All those recipes sound divine, piratesmate! Thanks! I'm especially thrilled with the breakfast casserole; I'm constantly on the hunt for a good one for Christmas morning. That one is perfect!

Hope your DD is better soon! Some pixie dust for her
__________________
Me DH DD9 DD6

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,139

Pumpkin Waffles

Pumpkin Waffles

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup canned pumpkin


Step 1:
Set up the waffle iron on a countertop or table within easy reach of the cook. Plug in the iron to preheat it. (Remind your child never to touch the surface of the iron; she should touch only the handle and always cook with adult supervision.)

Step 2:
In a medium-size mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, and pumpkin. Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Step 3:
Coat the preheated waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour the waffle batter onto the center of each section of the iron. (You will need 1/4 to 3/4 cup of batter for each waffle.)

Step 4:
Cook the waffles for about 4 to 5 minutes or until they are crispy and light brown. (Read the manufacturer's directions for details about how long you should cook the waffles in your particular waffle iron.) Serve immediately with maple syrup and butter. Serves 4.
mtblujeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #10
bear74
DIS Veteran
 
bear74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: D. S. Texas
Posts: 17,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtblujeans
I use my sure fire Betty Crocker recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes on the weekends. They taste just like Bisquick pancakes without the added preservatives:

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour*
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy; beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Cook pancakes on hot griddle until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown. Makes nine 4" pancakes.

*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.

Apple Cider Syrup

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons butter
1 apple peeled and chopped

In medium sauce pan over medium heat combine first 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and apples.

Makes about 2 cups

Orange Butter

1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
2 tablespoons orange juice

In small bowl, beat butter, orange peel, and juice until well blended. Refrigerate to chill.
these sound Yummy
__________________
Jennifer DHDD 10, DD 6, 3 & 3
In God we Trust
'02 POFQ, '06 CB. '08 & '09 POP. '11 POR
bear74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:24 PM   #11
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,139

Hot, fresh Doughnut Gems from Sunset. YUM!
mtblujeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,139

Cozy Oatmeal

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup shredded apple
1/3 cup raisins
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
Butter (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 2 cups water, cinnamon, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add oats and cook 3 minutes.

2. Stir in the shredded apple, raisins, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon walnuts. Cook 5 minutes more. Divide oatmeal between 2 serving bowls. Drizzle remaining maple syrup over top and sprinkle with walnuts. Garnish with butter, if desired. Serves 2
mtblujeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
NicRI
Mouseketeer
 
NicRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 148

These all sound so good.... will have to try this weekend.
__________________
NicRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
NicRI
Mouseketeer
 
NicRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 148

I think it's official..... I'm a thread killer!

but I just wanted to say hanks for the pumpking Waffles Mtblujeans... they were great!
__________________
NicRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage
 
piratesmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Defeating the Huns!
Posts: 8,590

I don't think you killed the thread Nicky...there just aren't too many recipes for breakfast things, are there?? I mean who needs a recipe for pouring cereal?
__________________
Deb, Proud Mom to a member of the Bronze Medal winners at the Tae Kwon-Do World Championship 2007 (DS is the redhead)
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.