Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
SilverSynchro919
Who needs a Pal Mickey when I'm around? =P

Bonnet Creek and autism

Hi DISers!

My family and I will be traveling (with two support staff in tow) for our seventh trip to WDW. In the past, we have always stayed on property, but this year, we wanted to get a suite with a full kitchen, and staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek was going to be MUCH more manageable, as far as expenses are concerned, than staying on-property in one of the villas.

My brother is sixteen years old, and is somewhere in the "moderate to severe" side of things on the autism spectrum. He is partially verbal (can tell you his basic needs, respond to some questions about choices of things, etc.), is toilet trained, and is generally a pretty agreeable kid when left to his own devices. However, he is not incredibly patient, and can demonstrate some pretty loud and destructive behavior when he is upset (banging his wrist and head into things, jumping up and down to make a very loud noise with his feet, stamping his feet, yelling with a high pitched voice).

On this vacation, we are most worried about getting from the hotel to the parks. We will have a car, but I am mostly wondering about the shuttle service that the hotel provides. How often does it run, and how reliable is it? About how long is the ride? My family and I would really like to avoid meltdowns if at all possible, which means not so much waiting! (of course now we have the DAS to deal with...which we are NOT excited about, but that's a whole different story)

DM DF irate: Me (22) DB (16) and Luna
SilverSynchro919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I have never been to a bonnet Creek, but have driven by many times.
It is very close to the parks and looks convenient. We have not had reviews that Irurruption can recall from people who had stayed there, so I can't answer your questions other than to say that the pictures look very nice.
I
This link includes a map:
http://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com/location.asp

According to their website, using the shuttle is an extra fee, so if you are comfortable driving, you may want to look at the price and pros & cons of renting a car.

As for DAS, if you haven't checked it out, there is a WDW DAS stuck near the top of this board. Post one is DAS FAQs

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I'd drive, it will be less expensive to park then to pay the shuttle fee round trip for everyone, and their transportation does not run as frequently as the onsite buses.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
indimom
Are We There Yet?

There is a long-running and fairly active thread called "The We Loooooove Bonnet Creek Thread" on the "Orlando hotels and attractions" part of the board. They may be able to give you more details about Bonnet Creek's bus system.

My daughter stayed at Bonnet Creek (babysitting for friends of the family on their vacation last fall) and we found a lot of information on this thread prior to their vacation.

DD said the drives to the parks were short and they all really enjoyed the resort. Have a great trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: