Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
mbh98akh
Earning My Ears

Disney with fibromyalgia?

Is it possible? I ache bad just after a day at work(I work every other day because of the pain) but several days in a row? Any suggestion??
mbh98akh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
olwyngdh
DIS Veteran

Rent a scooter. It is the only way it is possible for me. The exhaustion and pain is just too much to handle otherwise. I also carry my pan pills and muscle relaxers with me. I have a canvas bag I hang over the steering column of the scooter that has handles long enough that it rests on the floor of the scooter that I carry stuff in rather than trying to do a backpack or fanny pack. This way I can carry water without the weight bothering me, carry a poncho in case I need it, and after last January, if I go back in the winter months, a blanket to cover my legs if I get chilled again!

olwyngdh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
mbh98akh
Earning My Ears

How much do those cost?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
ErinTwinmom
Earning My Ears

I just rented 2 for 8 day from Buana Vista (sorry spelling) for 500 but got 10% off for getting two and I think a daily rate based on number if days, still cheaper than the parks and we can hop with them and use in downtown Disney.
ErinTwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
mbh98akh
Earning My Ears

Oh wow! I don't think I can afford that! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh98akh View Post
How much do those cost?
In-park rentals cost $50 per day, and can only be used in the parks.

While I personally have not rented an ECV at WDW, I think I've seen people quote ~$200/week for an offsite rental, which can be used to/from transportation and around your resort as well as in the parks and elsewhere. There is a list of vendors in the disABILITIES FAQ sticky near the top of this forum. "Featured" vendors can utilize bell services/luggage services at the resorts for drop-off and return; other vendors will arrange to meet you directly.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
ratlenhum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinTwinmom View Post
I just rented 2 for 8 day from Buana Vista (sorry spelling) for 500 but got 10% off for getting two and I think a daily rate based on number if days, still cheaper than the parks and we can hop with them and use in downtown Disney.
Not to hijack the post, I just reserved with buena vista and it's our first time ever with a scooter. Does it come with directions for taking it apart? We rent a car and will be needing to put it in the trunk
ratlenhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlenhum View Post
Not to hijack the post, I just reserved with buena vista and it's our first time ever with a scooter. Does it come with directions for taking it apart? We rent a car and will be needing to put it in the trunk
There are different models available, so you will need to make sure the vendor is aware you plan to transport it. They will provide you with the appropriate model ECV. As for instructions, you may want to ask.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
ratlenhum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
There are different models available, so you will need to make sure the vendor is aware you plan to transport it. They will provide you with the appropriate model ECV. As for instructions, you may want to ask. Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks
ratlenhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
kath2me
Mouseketeer

I use a Go Go Elite at home, comes apart in 4 pcs,, anyway, get the same kind of scooter from Apple Scooter,, great price also, check them out
2008- PORS
2009 -PORS
2010 - CSR
2012- CR & AKL
2013-BC & WL
2014 WL
Kathy
kath2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

I've had Fibro for 10 years now and go to Disney often. I don't need a scooter at this time, but would not hesitate to use one. I take frequent breaks. I have never been a thrill ride type of person so when the rest of my family is on a thrill ride I sit and rest. We are not and have never been morning people and this helps me as I need some time in the morning to "get myself going". We are DVC members and usually stay in a villa with a kitchen and this also helps in the morning as we really take our time with breakfast and any meds I have taken have a chance to kick it. We almost always do the dining plan so take long lunch and dinner breaks. I feel I need to eat well as this helps me too. I always have water with me (we rent a car and go to publix). Renting a car helps me too because I don't need to worry about waiting for a bus and then standing all the way back to the resort. As for parking I don't have a handicap parking sticker yet (a friend who has fibro just got one) but my husband just tells the CM in the parking lot that he wants to drop me off at the entrance and I wait for the rest of them. If I am feeling okay and the parking does not seem to far I walk.

Going to Disney with fibro, as in EVERYTHING in life it seems with fibro, can be a challenge but it can be done. Since I have had fibro I try very hard to focus on what I can do rather than what I can't do. Just take things slow and if you need a scooter get one. I hope you enjoy Disney as much as I do.

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
mbh98akh
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMim View Post
I've had Fibro for 10 years now and go to Disney often. I don't need a scooter at this time, but would not hesitate to use one. I take frequent breaks. I have never been a thrill ride type of person so when the rest of my family is on a thrill ride I sit and rest. We are not and have never been morning people and this helps me as I need some time in the morning to "get myself going". We are DVC members and usually stay in a villa with a kitchen and this also helps in the morning as we really take our time with breakfast and any meds I have taken have a chance to kick it. We almost always do the dining plan so take long lunch and dinner breaks. I feel I need to eat well as this helps me too. I always have water with me (we rent a car and go to publix). Renting a car helps me too because I don't need to worry about waiting for a bus and then standing all the way back to the resort. As for parking I don't have a handicap parking sticker yet (a friend who has fibro just got one) but my husband just tells the CM in the parking lot that he wants to drop me off at the entrance and I wait for the rest of them. If I am feeling okay and the parking does not seem to far I walk. Going to Disney with fibro, as in EVERYTHING in life it seems with fibro, can be a challenge but it can be done. Since I have had fibro I try very hard to focus on what I can do rather than what I can't do. Just take things slow and if you need a scooter get one. I hope you enjoy Disney as much as I do. Enjoy The Magic!!

Thank you! I've decided to just try and see how I do first.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

Since you say you're going to try to do the parks without an ECV at first, I'd suggest really keeping track of how you're feeling and try to leave (or rent an ECV/wheelchair) *before* you start having real problems. Same with any pain medications; take normal ones on your normal schedule, but if you have breakthrough medication take it at the first sign that your pain might be higher than normal. It's far harder to recover after fatigue or pain is too high than it is if you preempt the serious problems. You'll also likely actually end up using less pain medication and need less rest if you're trying to stop before the problems start. If you think you just need a quick rest (rather than going back to where you're staying), it's possible to lie down at the First Aid centers in the parks. You can also call an offsite vendor after your trip starts if you decide you do need an ECV, but it might take them a day to deliver one to you. As well, my experience was that renting for a longer period often did result in a lower cost when averaged out over days than shorter rentals (usually it's at around a week that you'll definitely get a price break, but it depends on the vendor).

Honestly, with your description in your original post, I'd expect to be renting a wheelchair or ECV within an hour or two of first reaching the park. If you're trying to go all day, you'll be walking an absolutely minimum of 4 miles and probably more than 6. The majority of that walking will be between attractions so not something where most ride queues make much of a difference. There are no places to sit in queues (and no way for you to wait elsewhere and meet your party when they get close to the boarding area). Even when I first started having problems (I don't have a fibro diagnosis, but many symptoms of my diagnosis do overlap with fibro), I couldn't have done those distances multiple days in a row due to aches and fatigue even though a year prior I was competitively running cross-country for my high school.

With the amount of money a trip to WDW costs, you're better off finding the money together for renting an ECV or wheelchair from an offsite vendor than to overdo it early on and spend the rest of your trip in the hotel. ECVs from an offsite vendor are far less expensive than renting in a park. Wheelchair rental is far less expensive than an ECV (offsite probably about $50 for a week), but you'll need someone to push you in it and WDW is not flat so it can be a lot of work. You could also push it when you feel like walking and sit when you need to sit (you still want someone with you who can push if needed). Either way, using the mobility aid could substantially improve what you can do in the parks so that you'll get more out of your park ticket.

With either a wheelchair or ECV you would have the option to only use it between areas and walk through queues, as well. That said, WDW mostly has mainstreamed queues so it isn't really much extra hassle to use the mobility aid in the queue compared to walking through the queue. There are also a couple very long queues in terms of distance (1/4 mile one way with no way to shorten that) so having that seat could be more useful in queues than you realize. Using the mobility aid will help conserve energy. Also, if you're at all touch sensitive, a mobility aid will provide a little more buffer from other people bumping up against you.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

Thank you for you post. Wheeled traveler gave you great advice. You may need a scooter and it will be easier to rent one before you need it.

I also wanted to add that we have APS so I don't feel the need to do parks every day all day. Disney IS very expensive and you want to be as comfortable as possible. There are days I only go into the parks for a few hours and days I don't go in at all, just go by the pool and relax.

You really have to find out what will work best you YOU. Only you know how tired you will be. Firbo is an exhausting illness and a lot of times it's a day by day struggle. Some days are better than others. As I said before, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
mbh98akh
Earning My Ears

That's the other thing, I opted out of medicine besides aleve or ibprophen. The meds available to me didn't work well for me. Made me feel worse than the actual disease. But thank you for all your input. I figured I would be able to do every other day. And since we are going in January I won't have to worry about the heat that makes me worse.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: