Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
sarahtar
Mouseketeer

Q about no-wait-line access

I don't have a clear understanding of what the new access system allows and doesn't allow. I'm also not asking for myself (my son's needs at this time don't really even require any sort of special access that I can think of) but for a friend. Outside of a Wish trip, is there any way for a family/child to access attractions without waiting in line? The family doesn't have a problem with waiting, just with waiting in a crowded line. If they could wait somewhere else less crowded (going during the slow season), and then at their time, get up and get right on the ride, that would be about the only way that would work for them. (or let some of their party wait in line, while one parent and the child waits elsewhere and joins them at the boarding area.) I'm thinking this is probably possible if they can clearly demonstrate why it's needed and are willing to work with GA, but I'm not certain.

I'm also wondering if there's a good way to be able to determine this in advance of booking a trip. They can literally think of no other way to make this work for their daughter, who can't be around other people much, and it would suck to spend all the money getting to florida and into disney world and then finding out that it won't work.
DCL: December 2001
DL: March 2010
WDW: Planning a Make a Wish trip for October 2014

Etsy ID: BoulevardDesigns
sarahtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post
I don't have a clear understanding of what the new access system allows and doesn't allow. I'm also not asking for myself (my son's needs at this time don't really even require any sort of special access that I can think of) but for a friend. Outside of a Wish trip, is there any way for a family/child to access attractions without waiting in line? The family doesn't have a problem with waiting, just with waiting in a crowded line. If they could wait somewhere else less crowded (going during the slow season), and then at their time, get up and get right on the ride, that would be about the only way that would work for them. (or let some of their party wait in line, while one parent and the child waits elsewhere and joins them at the boarding area.) I'm thinking this is probably possible if they can clearly demonstrate why it's needed and are willing to work with GA, but I'm not certain.

I'm also wondering if there's a good way to be able to determine this in advance of booking a trip. They can literally think of no other way to make this work for their daughter, who can't be around other people much, and it would suck to spend all the money getting to florida and into disney world and then finding out that it won't work.
Answer to the bolded part is no, they will still have to wait their turn for the ride but the DAS allows them to wait outside the line and then when it is their time to return to the ride, they enter through the FP line. The DAS is basically an open-ended fast pass but you can only have one DAS return time active at a time.

The new DAS is explained in these two threads:
DAS for DL/DCA

DAS for WDW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
sarahtar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladora View Post
then when it is their time to return to the ride, they enter through the FP line.
Right, but what I'm wondering is if there's a way to bypass the waiting in the FP line part. Again, they don't have any problem waiting for their turn to ride. It's the line, even the FP line, unless there aren't any other people actually in line.
DCL: December 2001
DL: March 2010
WDW: Planning a Make a Wish trip for October 2014

Etsy ID: BoulevardDesigns
sarahtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Right, but what I'm wondering is if there's a way to bypass the waiting in the FP line part. Again, they don't have any problem waiting for their turn to ride. It's the line, even the FP line, unless there aren't any other people actually in line.
As far as I know there is no way to avoid waiting in the FP line.

What I can say is that from my experience (and to be clear, my experience is limited to DL/DCA and not WDW) is that since the DAS replaced the GAC, the FP lines have been a whole lot shorter.

If the child is young enough to still use a stroller, this sounds like a pretty perfect time to get a stroller as a wheelchair tag. That would allow your friend's child to have a safe, enclosed area to sit in while in the FP line.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
DisneyFan13US
Earning My Ears

Quote:
There is no way to bypass the line, no backdoor entrances, no front of the line pass. Once you receive your DAS return time, you return and go through the FP line. If there is no one in the FP line, great, if there is a wait your friend would be required to wait in said line for however long that may be.
DisneyFan13US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Quote:
With the DAS, the card holder must be present to enter the fast pass line. I can't really see how to avoid a line or other people. Even at most boarding areas, there will be a wait with other people. Perhaps a stroller as a wheelchair option to allow the child to "hide" from other people in line?
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, there is not.

Most FP lines are 15 or so minutes. There's really no way to avoid them. They'd have to modify the whole DAS program. They take 10 minutes off the return time to help make the waits more equal, but if you were to skip the FP line they'd have to not remove any time. None of the CMs would have any idea how to work this out since it's outside the process of the DAS.

As mentioned above, using the 'stroller as a wheelchair' tag would allow the child to stay in a stroller through the line. There are canopy type things and covers that they can use to almost make a little cocoon for the child if that's necessary. But there's just no way to avoid being in line in some fashion for a small amount of time. I'm sure on a day to day basis they deal with this issue in some fashion for short periods of time?

Not sure anyone else mentioned your other questions, but nothing can be set up ahead of time. It needs to be done in person at GR at the first park visited.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
SMD
DIS Veteran

Even if they are given a readmit pass as a courtesy, there would still be a wait in the FP return queue. Disney likes to fill the space between the ride entrance and the loading area with people, and they're good at it. I second PP's suggestion to use stroller as a wheelchair if feasible. Another strategy is to enter the line with family members in front and behind, but leave a few feet between to avoid feeling crowded.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Right, but what I'm wondering is if there's a way to bypass the waiting in the FP line part. ...
Even MAW kids sometimes have to wait a few minutes. There really is no way to absolutely guarantee walk-on at every single ride without at least waiting for the ride car to come around, etc.

The DAS along with FP+ will minimize wait times, and at a slow time of year it could be near-walk-on at most rides. But they will need to go through the FP+ lines. These should be considerably shorter lines, maybe 2 minutes, maybe as much as 20 minutes, depending on how busy it is.

Quote:
... I'm also wondering if there's a good way to be able to determine this in advance of booking a trip. They can literally think of no other way to make this work for their daughter, who can't be around other people much ...
As PP responded, there is no way to guarantee a certain accommodation in advance of a trip, short of MAW. No one at WDW will offer that. However, if you wouldn't mind elaborating on the child's needs we might be able to offer some suggestions that will help the family plan or make their decision. You do not need to elaborate, and I realize it's not your child so you may not feel comfortable doing so, but it's hard to offer specific suggestions without more info as to the concerns.

Stroller-as-wheelchair has already been suggested, and "cocooning" in lines by having other party members in front and back.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran

Even Wish Trippers (speaking from experience) don't walk right on. We were always instructed to use the FP entrance or the WC entrance. Sometimes we were told to wait off to the side. But there was no immediate access.

Maya (DD) - 9 Ali (DD - Wishkid) - 7

kellyw8863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Ignore post. I responded to the wrong thread.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

They could hire a VIP tour guide, but that's pretty pricey.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyw8863 View Post
Even Wish Trippers (speaking from experience) don't walk right on. We were always instructed to use the FP entrance or the WC entrance. Sometimes we were told to wait off to the side. But there was no immediate access.

Well, for our DL Wish Trip, we had a certain stamp on it that did get us on the rides pretty fast. We were even pulled (by the CMs) in front of other DAS(I mean GAC!) guests, that were already waiting. My daughter would say, "I have a special pass" and enjoyed that part of it….. (yes, I allowed this for the most part, she had been thru hell and back, and was still pretty ill at the time of her trip, it was a real horror show let me say, just to see her smile was a blessing, even if it was a bit rude).

But, that is not important now. FP+ lines at WDW seem a bit longer to me, since the FP+ was implemented. So there is no immediate access. Off season, and going to the parks at rope drop, will help loads. We are doing a MNSSHP in early October, and will try and get on the rides during the party, hoping for shorter lines…… that could help too.

Last edited by PatMcDuck; 08-02-2014 at 10:15 PM.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
no there is not. not unless you are willing to fork over the money for a VIP tour.

there is no such thing as instant access otherwise.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Instant access is an urban legend. There is no such animal. Even Make-A-Wish kids usually have to wait some, but not much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: