Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2008, 06:26 AM   #91
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I think I'd have to have a serious conversation with my family - along the lines of "if you continue making references to my weight, I'm going to limit the time we spend with you. My doctor and I deal with my health issues. I just need YOU to love me as I am."

Please let us know how your trip went!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #92
dustyraye
Mouseketeer

On past trips, I watched others in their ECVs with great envy, because I had mobility issues as a result of being decidedly "Pooh-sized." (5'4" 340 lbs. at top weight). But my own embarrassment about my weight kept me from renting one, since I couldn't bear to think of myself as "disabled" as a result of my weight, and I wouldn't have wanted to take one away from someone who "really" needs it, or to suffer the stares and comments of unkind strangers.

Now, years later and significantly smaller following gastric bypass surgery (down about 150 lbs.), I find myself worried about my upcoming WDW trip because of recent arthritis flare-ups. I have had mild osteoarthritis in my knees for years, because I carried so much weight for so long, but recently I have been having much more discomfort/pain, and it is in all of my major joints (shoulders, elbows, hips, etc.), not just the usual places. I know that I need to see my doc about this, which I am putting off because I don't want to hear any bad news, but I am already worried about getting around on my trip in October. And my self-consciousness has me afraid to even raise the idea of renting an ECV with my SO. I am also concerned about the "looks" from people who see a relatively healthy looking 40-something woman with an ECV.

I have many "good" days, where my discomfort is minimal, especially once the morning stiffness wears off. But on the "bad" days, even minimal walking around the workplace is a struggle. And, of course, there is no way to predict when a bad day is going to hit. So that leaves me with a few questions:

1. If I decide to wait until closer to my trip to see how I'm feeling, do I run a risk of not being able to get an ECV from an off-site rental place?

2. If I decide to chance it, what are the chances that I will be able to call an off-site place while I am at WDW and get an ECV for the balance of the trip if I decide I need one?

Thanks!

dustyraye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #93
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

As you will be going in late October you should not have any problem renting an off-site ECV on short notice.

Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #94
Tony NY
Mouseketeer

hi mom of 3 !

Look at it this way if you don't use the ECV your only causing your self more pain then you need and their no shame in using an ECV espicaly when it comes to your helth . I hope you have a maigal day's with your family and pleass use the ECV!

CSR 9/9/12 BC 5/22-5/30 GF 7/11 6/10 Disney land 11/26 - 11/30 contemporay Contempory 09,08 Contempory resort 2007 POR2006 CB Off site 04/02/01
Tony NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:18 AM   #95
honugirl
One of those darn ECV users out to ruin YOUR vacation!

I know how the people in this thread feel. I am only 30, but I have a tumor on my pituitary gland which is doing bad things to my body. I've seriously deteriorated in health over the last couple of months. Today I could barely walk at all. I hate the thought of having to use an ECV, but I'm headed to WDW in just a few weeks for 10 days. My dear boyfriend isn't going to like it one little bit, but I'm feeling like I have no choice. It's either rent one or not be able to do anything at the parks. I'm scared. I know people are going to look at me. I'm kind of overweight (5'6", 205 pounds, the extra weight is due to my tumor). From the outside I look "normal". A friend offered to loan me an ECV, but I can't take it with me because I have to go up to Boston right afterwards and I CAN'T have it with me, because of my friends up there. I don't want them to know how bad things are.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #96
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony NY View Post
hi mom of 3 !

Look at it this way if you don't use the ECV your only causing your self more pain then you need and their no shame in using an ECV espicaly when it comes to your helth . I hope you have a maigal day's with your family and pleass use the ECV!

exactly

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #97
ShhhQ
DIS Veteran

I suffer from foot pain... sometimes its severe, while other times its mild enough to walk without a limp... almost never is it totally gone.... I am used to being on my feet at work, but have opted to rent a ECV just because I know if I am off my feet even 80% of the time, I will have a much better time!!

Sad to say that a trip to Disney and the scariest ride you went on was a bus ride!!!
Enjoy your vacation, you may never know when your last vacation will end up being your LAST VACATION!!
ShhhQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #98
nursetibs
Earning My Ears

We're off to WDW in 21 days and for the first time I am gonna have to use a wheelchair.

I have recently been diagnosed with a serious heart condition and even though I look 'normal' there is no way I could do WDW without wheels.

I find it very difficult when people stare at me and make comments just because they can't see my disability. I'm learning quickly just to ignore these ignorant people - they could be where I am next week.

I'm off to visit the mouse and have as much fun as I always do

nursetibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #99
mechurchlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetibs View Post
We're off to WDW in 21 days and for the first time I am gonna have to use a wheelchair.

I have recently been diagnosed with a serious heart condition and even though I look 'normal' there is no way I could do WDW without wheels.

I find it very difficult when people stare at me and make comments just because they can't see my disability. I'm learning quickly just to ignore these ignorant people - they could be where I am next week.

You are using a wheelchair to shop, eat, play, or what. NEVER let what others think get in your way. NEVER worry about what others will think. If someone stares at me in my ECV then I turn to see what they are staring at like as if I was in their line of vision. Then I would say "Excuse me but is there something I should be concerned about, I do not see any imposing danger." Stare back at them like they are freaks of nature as people do not like you returning a stare. I have brain quirks and attitude problems lol.

The point is that we waste too much time worrying about what others think. Education also works. "I have 2 weeks to live if I am lucky and want to die in WDW" (snice me again). You have the right to use a wheelchain or ECV. At wal-Mart a woman wanted the ECV because she has blisters. She had a right but I was first and my knee HURTs and even with the ECV was giving out.

big hugs and remember you are there to have fun, seen new things, have family time, have some me time, eat new foods, smell new smells, and have a time away from doing household chores and stress. Enjoy your time and if people do stare or whisper then ignore them or explain to them the real facts as that will make them feel 1 inch high.

A few poeple on board like myself prefer using an ECV on rude people.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #100
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

I have had someone ask me with my crutches (forearm or canadian type crutches) - "Do you really need those?" I replied, "Nope, they're my antenna to the mother ship!" That guy left me alone real fast.

When someone asked me "What's wrong with you?" I have been known to reply "Nothing has been the same since the aliens abducted me!"

Once a friend of mine, when a stupid/rude person asked her why she was in her wheelchair (she had some rare neurodegenerative disease), she looked down and started screaming "Wheelchair? What wheelchair... Oh no! Oh no! What happened to my legs!"

Usually I just ignore rude people, or if they ask "whats wrong with you," I just smile and say "Nothing is wrong with me."

Accepting a wheelchair for Disney was easy for me. Now I am starting to accept it in other situations in life, and that is proving much harder. But for Disney I just tell myself, it is the happiest freakin' place on earth and I am going to enjoy myself!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #101
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
I have had someone ask me with my crutches (forearm or canadian type crutches) - "Do you really need those?" I replied, "Nope, they're my antenna to the mother ship!" That guy left me alone real fast.

When someone asked me "What's wrong with you?" I have been known to reply "Nothing has been the same since the aliens abducted me!"

Once a friend of mine, when a stupid/rude person asked her why she was in her wheelchair (she had some rare neurodegenerative disease), she looked down and started screaming "Wheelchair? What wheelchair... Oh no! Oh no! What happened to my legs!"

good attitude

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #102
Twilight Terror
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetibs View Post

At least we can all go away now, even if it does mean a wheelchair. You certainly couldn't do WDW without your wheels. By lunchtime, people might start mistaking your swollen elephant legs for Dumbo and attach you to the ride! You'll become your favourite ride!! For anyone reading who hasn't worked it out yet, I am allowed to mock - nursetibs is my mummy

Besides, if people become too rude, I might just have to lose control of the wheelchair and run a few of them over... or catch their ankles with the foot plates... you know, accidentally on purpose like...

You know what we need? We need a badge that says something along the lines of "Disability doesn't start and end with a wheelchair!"
Twilight Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #103
NavyMomX2
Mouseketeer

OMG!!!! The MOTHER SHIP & ALIEN ABDUCTION references have me cracking up! I LOVE this!!!!! What great responses!

Please, anyone who is hesitant about an ECV or wheelchair, please read the post I just started about my first trip using an ECV. I just returned Monday from POP and I'm SO grateful that I took the advice of wonderful people here.
~Have stayed at Poly, Ft. Wilderness, Port Orleans & Coronado.

~8/2 - 8/11/08 ~ POP Century Resort
Our 4 oldest Gkiddos will experience The Magic for the first time!

Me & DH
5 kids
6 Grandkiddos & 7th in 11/08
NavyMomX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #104
MummyKat
MummyKat

Good Luck on your trip Dustyraye.
I have used an ECV the last two times we went to DLR and California Adventures. I have arthritis and had a hip replacement so my daughter convinced me to rent one at the park. It was wonderful!! I know I was able to see, do, experience more by using the ECV. I wouldn't have lasted until closing without it.
I didn't experience any stares, comments or questions from people. However, I did notice that people would walk right in front of me, much like pedestrians walk in front of cars. Even in an ECV it is hard to stop on a dime.
We arrived at the park very early in the day to ensure that we would be able to rent one. I am thankful that Disney has the foresight to provide the ECV's as an option to those who need them. One nice perk is that you and your group will be able to advance through line quickly on most rides.
So Go, Rent, and Have Fun!!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #105
TPCShauna
Most Cheerful Creativear
I think "Under the Sea" would be a nice place to live
I definitely think that the colored mini marshmallows make the best peep poop

Location: Orlando, FL - just minutes from the magic! (but I'm still a Texas girl at heart!)

OMG, I could have written this thread title myself!

I am coming to terms with the fact that I'll have to get an ECV for our December trip. I had an accident last November and fell on the side of my knee. The fall shredded the cartilage under my knee cap and caused a torn meniscus. I had surgery and it fixed those two issues.

While waiting for surgery, I was having issues with severe swelling. The site of the fall was a massive contusion that was putting pressure on the nerve in the front of my leg right below my knee. The pressure last so long that the nerve died and it now regrowing. It is incredibly painful and feels like someone is burning me with a hot poker. The pain causes me to walk oddly which is causing some cramping and locking in the joint. I'm on a cocktail of medication and have to use a cane to walk even the shortest distances. While I am improving slowly, I have another 6 to 8 months of rehabilitation before I will be truly well.

I have come to terms with the fact that I won't be able to walk around WDW to any extent. I also can't stand for any length of time. Even knowing this, I am so stressed about having to use an ECV because I know people will look at me like I'm a horrible person. I am 31 years old and I'm definitely "pooh-sized". Normally, I'm really healthy with great BP, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. I just know that people are going to be looking at me judgementally and that really bothers me. I'll still have to use my cane to transfer on rides, walk any distances, etc. but I don't wear a knee brace or anything like that so it looks, in theory, like there is nothing wrong with me.

I am seriously losing sleep over this right now. I feel better knowing others feel the same way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: