Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #76
Withacy
DIS Veteran

We're arriving at MCO at 10:00 AM-ish on a Saturday (THIS Saturday, actually ). Then the ME to AS Movies. Then, if we're lucky, to the MK by 2:00. I was going to try that first day without an ECV - even though I'll be dragging myself & my carry-on through two airports, and all the sitting and standing in line at the resort. (OK, now I'm depressing myself.) But it would be pretty pointless to hope for an ECV to be available at that time of day, even if I wanted one. Unless a lot of people suddenly decide to leave.
Sept. 1987 - Off-site; March 1995 - All Star Music; August 1996 - All Star Sports; August 2002 - All Star Movies; January 2003 - All Star Music; January 2004 - Pop Century; January 2006 - Pop Century; January 2008 - All Star Movies; March 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort; December 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside; December 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter; October 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter December 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
Withacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 AM   #77
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withacy View Post
But it would be pretty pointless to hope for an ECV to be available at that time of day, even if I wanted one. Unless a lot of people suddenly decide to leave.
I would not totally give up hope.
It may not be the best time to arrive, but it's a slow time of year and many people go early and leave by early afternoon. If worse comes to worse and you have someone to push, you could still rent a wheelchair if you are just too tired. Otherwise, take it easy. It should not be so crowded, which at least makes getting around easier and less tiring.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #78
Withacy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
If worse comes to worse and you have someone to push, you could still rent a wheelchair if you are just too tired. Otherwise, take it easy. It should not be so crowded, which at least makes getting around easier and less tiring.
Alas, just me - and one very active, very excited about-to-be-9-year-old.

I figure we'll go stand in a couple lines, that will take us up to our 5:45 ADR, then there's the parade and fireworks. We're going back the next day, so maybe that will negate the desire to run around to get everything in!
Sept. 1987 - Off-site; March 1995 - All Star Music; August 1996 - All Star Sports; August 2002 - All Star Movies; January 2003 - All Star Music; January 2004 - Pop Century; January 2006 - Pop Century; January 2008 - All Star Movies; March 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort; December 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside; December 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter; October 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter December 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
Withacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #79
OneLittleSpark
A Michaelmusophobia Sufferer (please don't hate me)

Have you considered renting from an off-site company? That way you'd have the ECV 24/7 (including at the resort and DTD), you wouldn't have to worry about the park rentals running out, and often it's cheaper than renting from Disney every day. There are details of rental companies in the FAQ, as well as information on how to deal with buses, rides etc.

HTH!

I've been Booed by the wonder that is Tink the Pink! (Yeah, I know Halloween was ages ago, but I want to keep my happy little Mickey head!)
OneLittleSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #80
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLittleSpark View Post
Have you considered renting from an off-site company? That way you'd have the ECV 24/7 (including at the resort and DTD), you wouldn't have to worry about the park rentals running out, and often it's cheaper than renting from Disney every day. There are details of rental companies in the FAQ, as well as information on how to deal with buses, rides etc.

HTH!
This is what I was about to say.

Not only would the ECV then be waiting for you with you arrived, but, it would also be CHEAPER!

We've reached the point where we generally rent a w/c from home for my DW (at some point we'll break down and buy something) and for our upcoming vacation we're renting an ECV for my DFIL from an offsite company.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #81
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

Thats what I was about to add, rent on offsite or rent one from home

We rented one for my mom(wc last time) here at home and took it along, what a godsend. She would have been wiped out by the time we made it to the hotel, so it was a big, big plus to already have it.

It was no problem on the plane either, I would think about it if I were you esp when keeping up with a 9 yr old!

Good Luck and have a magical trip
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #82
memobrien
Mouseketeer

Yeah I know what everyone means about the stares. For me that is hard. Iím veryÖ.shall we say pooh size. But the fact is that Iím pretty active. I have a 5 year old and she runs me day and night and I keep up. But a few years ago I had a VERY severe case of pneumonia. One thing it did was leave one of my lungs packed with scar tissue and with asthma. People assume I have asthma because of my weight. Which I find ironic because I have several friends who had it their whole lives and are UNBELIVEABLY thin. But people look at my size and make assumptions. That is always hard to take.

Anyway, on top of it all I just saw my doctor this morning and I have bronchitis. She is loading me up on meds and gave me the ok to fly. But she said that the walking is going to be VERY bad and that I should expect a lot of asthma episode. In light of this and the fatique she is recogmending an ECV. Which I hate the idea of, but I canít cancel this trip.

For me Iíll ignore the people because Iím sure that people will be judging me. But we are traveling with my parents and I just donít feel like dealing with their judgement. No matter what it is it becomes and excuse to harass me about my weight. Like I donít look in the mirror daily and knowÖ..
Anyway, I feel like renting an EVC will be like open season on me. Iím jsut not sure how to dealÖ My husband would always support me with them and these kinds of things. He always had a way to make me feel better. But I lost him this summer to a long battle with cancer. So to top it off I feel like I have no one I can talk to about this.
memobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #83
OneLittleSpark
A Michaelmusophobia Sufferer (please don't hate me)

Oh honey, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. The ECV sounds like it would definitely make the holiday better for you. Never mind the random strangers, you won't see them again, so who cares if they get all worked up over what they think they see? Their ruining their own holiday, but that doesn't mean you have to let them ruin yours.

As for your parents, have you tried sitting them down and telling them how much their comments hurt? Sometimes parents do some very weird things in the name of 'helping' their child. They may not realise how their comments affect you, they may be trying to 'encourage' you . You are who you are, you look the way you do, you feel the way you feel, and they are not going to change any of that by putting you down. Besides, what does it matter the outside looks like? It really truly is what's inside - who you are and how you feel - that matters.

Good luck, and I do hope things work out well, and you have a wonderful holiday.

I've been Booed by the wonder that is Tink the Pink! (Yeah, I know Halloween was ages ago, but I want to keep my happy little Mickey head!)
OneLittleSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #84
memobrien
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLittleSpark View Post
Oh honey, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. The ECV sounds like it would definitely make the holiday better for you. Never mind the random strangers, you won't see them again, so who cares if they get all worked up over what they think they see? Their ruining their own holiday, but that doesn't mean you have to let them ruin yours.

As for your parents, have you tried sitting them down and telling them how much their comments hurt? Sometimes parents do some very weird things in the name of 'helping' their child. They may not realise how their comments affect you, they may be trying to 'encourage' you . You are who you are, you look the way you do, you feel the way you feel, and they are not going to change any of that by putting you down. Besides, what does it matter the outside looks like? It really truly is what's inside - who you are and how you feel - that matters.

Good luck, and I do hope things work out well, and you have a wonderful holiday.
thanks! it is with the best of intentions that my mother does it. and i think she nows how i feel. because she will say, "i know this is upsetting, but as your mother it's my duty to......."
now she pulls the card about my daughter not being able to take losing another parent. with while you in the middle of grief you are just trying to breathe...so that is less than helpful.

Anyway... i do think i need to bite the bullet and get the evc. it's just hard to admit that.
memobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #85
kimsuenew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 View Post
I still get that niggly feeling in my tummy that I have to use a ECV to get around. I know I need to accept the fact but it's hard.
In my every day life I don't use a wheel chair because I can limit the amount of walking I do and if I'm having a bad day I can take it easy. I have Rheumatoid Arthritus and even though I can walk for a good couple of hours there is no way I could walk for an entire day around Disney.

Plus when you are at Disney and you park the ECV and walk to a regular seat or get up to stretch your legs you get those looks or comments from other people that don't see you as having a disability.

Hubby tells me to be sensible and just use the ECV because if I did over do it on my feet I really wouldn't be able to walk at all. The first time I ever went to Disney I refused to be in a wheel chair and walked around for most of the day even though my feet really hurt and by the end of the day I couldn't walk at all. I couldn't even make it from my bed to the bathroom without being carried.

I'm sure others that don't have an obvious disability or can do normal activities for a couple of hours before feeling tired or being in pain must feel funny about having to be in a wheelchair or ECV.

I suppose I'll get over it and make sure my 3 boys have a great time, DS10, DS6, and DS2.

Thanks for listening,

Anita
I know exactly what you mean. I am like you. I have very limited mobility, only walk very short distances and cannot stand as it locks my knee. I have osteoarthritis is both knees, not RA but my life is very restricted.

There was NO way I, a 40 year old, mother of a teen, was going to take use an EVC is WDW. I took my medicine and my cane. I mean really, how big could the parks be? Ha! Rude awakening!

I truly spent the first 4 days at WDW theme parks on the benches closest to the front entrance... I sent DH & DS on their way so I did not ruin there vacation, and I sat down. It was miserable. They kept begging for me to either get a WC or EVC but I just couldn't. It was making them feel guilty... me feel guilty... it was horrid!

Finally, as day 5 out 10 park days began at MK, it was day 2 at MK where day 1 was spent 1/2 day on the bench and 1/2 day back at SSR in our room, I snuck off... finally relented and rented an EVC from WDW. I tear up writing this still. I drove up by the castle and bawled! I had freedom! I got to actually see MK! I got to be with my family! OMG, it was the best choice I could have ever made! I called DH on his cell (they did not know I had the EVC yet) and they were close to boarding Space Mountain. I stayed by the exit and they were thrilled to see me waiting on them!

GO! ENJOY! Be with your family! See the park! Have fun! An EVC works like the legs we wished we had... no biggie!

kimsuenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #86
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

you deserve a vacation
go and have a good one

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #87
Kate70410
Earning My Ears

Hi Anita!

I just wanted to post and say that that I totally understand what you are going through. I went through the same exact thing last summer when we were planning our honeymoon to the house of mouse. I'm almost 30 and like you was so afraid of all the looks people would give me if I rented an ecv because like you I don't appear like I have any sort of disability. In truth I have no cartilege in my knees from playing sports as a kid and it makes walking unbearable at times, especially when after walking for extended periods. I swear to you though..it was the absolute best thing I ever did. I wasn't in pain and I could last for longer periods of time when if I didn't have it, we'd have to be back in the hotel by mid afternoon with me with ice on my knees. It's not worth pain, you deserve to enjoy your vacation! I rented thru Care Medical, they were so nice and so helpful. I recommend them to everyone I talk to. You might get a few looks, but that's just people being ignorant. Don't let them ruin your fabulous vacation. Be proud of who you are and that you are taking care of yourself. That's the most important thing in all this. Good luck and have a fabulous time!

Me DW DDog

Buena Vista Villas Feb 1989 with family
Comfort Inn April 1997 HS Senior Trip
CSR July 2007 Our Disney honeymoon!!
CSR February 2010 5th Anniversary trip

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2i5iy6jpg31v5.png[/img]
Kate70410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #88
freemore
Mouseketeer

My DH and I have rented evc's the last 3 times we have been to Disney, we are both seniors and have knee problems and arthritis and I also have fibro. I am always surprised to read about the stares that people say they get because neither one of us have ever noticed anyone staring at us. It could be that we are so in love with being at Disney and looking at all the Magic that we are not even looking at the people. Also we have to keep our eyes peeled for someone who might walk in front of the ecv and we see a lot more butts than we do faces : ) Also I'm thinking by the time you get to be our age you no longer worry about what other people think! I guess that is one of the perks of getting older, you learn not to worry about what other people think, you know what is good for yourself. We love the ecv's and the freedom they give to us. We couldn't continue to enjoy Disney without them. Go and enjoy the freedom from pain that an ecv will give you and have a wonderful time.
freemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #89
mickeyminniefan2
Earning My Ears

I used evc

We have been going to dis now for 15 years and for the first time this past January I had to use the evc in the parks. My family is the one that talked me into it. They said aren't you here to have all the magical experience you can. Of course and I knew I wouldn't be able to walk the parks because of knee problems this time. I was embarassed at first, but then I looked forward to getting to the next park and renting it. I felt so much better when we stopped somewhere along the way and I could get up and walk to a ride or look at something and not be in so much pain I couldnt enjoy myself. The only problem I ran into is my family couldn"t keep up with me. That was the joke of the trip. So rent the evc and enjoy yourself I didn't worry what others thought I was having to much fun.
mickeyminniefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #90
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran

My father inlaw has a heart condition. So he tires easily. He and his wife were not going to come with us last time because she said it was to much on him. We rented him an evc. Besides she said it makes him feel old. Well we got him one anyway. He loved it. It made getting around so much easier and he felt so independant. Now he will tell anyone who will listen about his trip with us and how much fun he had, and didn't even get tired. We are going again 4/28 to 5/2/2008. He can't wait. Spoke to him yesterday on the phone and he reminded me not to forget to rent the evc. So go for it, don't worry what others think. Lots of people have disabilities that are not readily noticable. That doesn't make them any less real. Just remember to relax and have fun. The rest of the family will to if they know you are comftalble.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: