Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #31
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Husbands who disapprove are THE WORST! Mine kept saying all you need is more exercise. Finally, after a bout with food poisoning took every bit of energy I had left, I flat out said I am using this ecv and you can go p*** up a rope.

Well our friends that were with us didn't make any big deal out of it and it was SO liberating to actually be able to keep up with everyone. DH finally realized how much 'his' fun was hampered by my disability, and he has never said another negative word. Honestly, some times guys can bge so thick.

I also use a cane to travel and take it with me on the ecv for when I need to get off and walk or stand - it gives me something to lean on . . .and something to use on the first person that "looks at me funny" heheh.

Last edited by LindaBabe; 08-04-2006 at 07:51 PM.
LindaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
Esmk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
I've got a question for you to think about.
Would you rather have your kids remember a first trip with a parent who was using an ECV and was able to do things and be fun or remember seeing their parent in pain?

Maybe you would do the same things anyway, but the end result with the ECV would be doing them in comfort. Walking around in pain is just going to create more pain. My kids are older, but some of their early memories of WDW include watching their grandpa hobble around the parks, icing his knees after a day in the parks and sitting on a bench in a central place and not be able to enjoy the park with them. The last few trips before he died include memories of him using an ECV and really being included in the fun.

My youngest DD can't walk at all and her first wheelchair was a freedom machine for her. I know some other parents of kids like her felt like the wheelchair was a depressing thing for them. It never was for us. We looked at it the same way as glasses - a way to do things that she would not otherwise be able to do. I might have a different perspective because without glasses, I can see clearly only about 5 inches away from my face (I even put my glasses on at night to get up in the dark). But, at least to me, ECVs and wheelchairs are glasses for the body.

Wow.... Everything you said makes so much sense. I was telling my husband we'd rent but only use AFTER I was in pain/exhausted and could not walk further. That way I'd do my best to be normal. But by then I guess I'd also be grumpy, sore, and not having a good time, neither would they. Time to push past some pride here....

Thank you!
Esmk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #33
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Hope you have a GREAT TIME.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #34
diz8297
The only culture she knows is at the end of a cotton swab

My Mom joins us on our trips to WDW. Over the years, her back problems have progressed so that she went from renting ECV's at the parks to having one delivered to our resort to use throughout her stay. It has made such a difference in her experience. Please, please, please, use the ECV if it will make your trip more enjoyable. It is more important to enjoy your vacation and create memories than be concerned about other people.

God Bless!

Phyllis
diz8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #35
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Thank you for this thread. Because of it I am renting an EVC this trip. I have OA in both knees and am having knee replacement at the first of the year. Because I am only 46, we have held off as long as the DR. felt we could.

I didn't think I was disabled enough and didn't want to take an EVC away from someone who needed one more than I did. I would look longingly at those with EVCs and wish that I could use one too. I was just afraid to admit I needed one, I was afraid at would others would say, I was afraid that I would have one when other people needed it more than I did.

After reading your thread, I changed my mind and called and rented one for this trip. I held off until right before we left because I had hoped that the cortisone shots would work, but they haven't helped at all this time.

Thanks again for giving me the courage I needed to make the call.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #36
diz8297
The only culture she knows is at the end of a cotton swab

I am so glad! Now go have a wonderful time!!!!!
phyllis
diz8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #37
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz8297
I am so glad! Now go have a wonderful time!!!!!
phyllis

Go and have fun.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #38
Haley Whippet
DIS Veteran

Have a great time, Enjoy the freedom you will have
Deb

Miss Haley will live on in my heart forever
Haley Whippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #39
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

I have CFS but do not have the pain problems of FMS that most CFS people do. I have never rented an ECV because not only can I walk, I actually love to walk.

Before I had CFS I might walk 4 miles for exercise. It is something that I used to really enjoy. But I have found that I get exhausted at WDW and usually end up spending 1-2 unable to leave my room because of fatigue after a day at the parks (usually 4-6 hours not all day).

So I am seriously considering getting an ECV in September. I know the heat is going to be really hard on me in September too.

I guess my biggest fear is not any comments (I will be 60 next week so people don't expect much of me), but just how difficult is it to navigate an ECV through the parks?
Old 08-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #40
Haley Whippet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminnie
I have CFS but do not have the pain problems of FMS that most CFS people do. I have never rented an ECV because not only can I walk, I actually love to walk.

Before I had CFS I might walk 4 miles for exercise. It is something that I used to really enjoy. But I have found that I get exhausted at WDW and usually end up spending 1-2 unable to leave my room because of fatigue after a day at the parks (usually 4-6 hours not all day).

So I am seriously considering getting an ECV in September. I know the heat is going to be really hard on me in September too.

I guess my biggest fear is not any comments (I will be 60 next week so people don't expect much of me), but just how difficult is it to navigate an ECV through the parks?

First, I am 51 and use a ECV, No one really says anything about it, At WDW people are usually very kind, Rarely will you ever hear any comment. No big deal.
As for the parks, It is very easy getting around on a ECV. You will have a better trip because you won't be worn out. Go for it, Get one and enjoy the ride
Deb

Miss Haley will live on in my heart forever
Haley Whippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #41
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley Whippet

First, I am 51 and use a ECV, No one really says anything about it, At WDW people are usually very kind, Rarely will you ever hear any comment. No big deal.
As for the parks, It is very easy getting around on a ECV. You will have a better trip because you won't be worn out. Go for it, Get one and enjoy the ride
Deb
Thanks Deb - Just reading about how other have used an ECV makes me remember the times that I didn't go to the other side of DTD or the Boardwalk because I was afraid I would be too tired. I'm looking forward to this next trip as I'm going to get to stay at BCV. Just because I can physically walk without pain doesn't mean that it isn't taking it's toll in fatigue. Tricia
Old 08-14-2006, 11:39 PM   #42
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

My DD's 17 year-old BF went to Disneyland with us last week and used an ECV which I rented privately. He had a wonderful time...he hadn't been to DL since he was 7 - before he had surgeries which caused lower leg paralysis. He never wanted to have to use a wheelchair (he is ambulatory) but felt fine using the scooter (DD sometimes rode it with him!) They received a lot of positive comments as it was a sporty-looking Sundancer scooter. It went 2-3 times faster than the DLR's ECVs - most comments were "hey, I want one of those!" They could control the speed and never had problems manuevering through crowds...even the "after fireworks" crowds.

Enjoy using the scooter and have a fantastic time!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #43
zumbergc
DIS Veteran

Worried about manevering the ecv. Don't worry about.

If you have another member in your party who is a good ecv driver, borrow them when things get difficult.

Since you are able to walk. Like when you load on the bus.
On some occasions, I can't park in the bus at all. Just keep missing,
and not parked good enough for them to strap it down. Hop out of the ecv and get some help.
One of two things happens. My husbands parks it better, or 2 the bus driver manuevers the ecv for me into the spot.

Other potential hard places to park.
Like if you parking next to a row for a show, or in between bolted down seating.
First off, try not to be nervous, take a deep breathe, turn the speed all the way down to the slowest speed. Gently press the lever for power, and slowly manever into position.
Don't worry, not everyone gets into position the first try. So just take a second attempt, and so on. Plus, your parking job doesn't have to be purfect, just be patient with yourself.

I'm usually rusty the first day, but then I'm good. Although some days I can't park at all. ALthough I have gotten some good parking advice
from some bus drivers.
zumbergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #44
CF'er
Mine's so padded I'm afraid the heat would melt them

Wink I had to rent an ECV

for the first time during ur last trip in April. I have Cystic Fibrosis which is a fatal lung disease. I had been in the hospital until 2 days before the trip. They let me out so I could go. I had to do IV antibiotics while there and go back in after I got home. (I'm 38 BTW) There is no way I could walk all around all the parks all day. With the ECV I could keep up with everyone and really enjoyed the trip. I was still tired but it was at the end of the day and not half way through.

If you need it, rent it. I am trying to plan a trip for Oct 2007 and may rent one then too.

Kalen

CF'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:41 AM   #45
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

This thread has been a god send!!!

My mom is 58 and a month after we came home from Disney last year she had a stroke, she is doing well now but walking any kind of "distance" gives her trouble.
She uses a cane and makes due but I have been worried about our upcoming September trip.(not for us but for her) So the other day I tell her that renting a wheelchair or ecv at disney is the way to go. She was afraid, like many of you, what people would say or think (she looks healthy also) I tried best I could to give her the "who cares what people think speech" but she was still on the fence, (although I was getting it for her no matter what ) because I want her to have a wonderful time from start to finish and not worry about trying to keep up.

So anyway, I just printed this thread for her and I think this will seal the deal!!!!!

Thank all of you so much!
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: