Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Lightroom 3 or Aperture 3
Lightroom 3 13 86.67%
Aperture 3 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #31
YEKCIM
DIS Veteran

How about a vest?

Not sure if this fits your needs, but I personally use something similar to this:

Last edited by YEKCIM; 04-18-2006 at 03:44 PM.
YEKCIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #32
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEKCIM
Not sure if this fits your needs, but I personally use something similar to this:

I second the idea of a vest, I never carry a bag with me, everything I need is right in the vest, it made WDW so much easier in February

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #33
WillCAD
Where there's a Will there's a way

I only use my camera bag for transporting, not for carrying my camera around in the parks.

The main things I look for in a camera bag are:

1) Fits my equipment - not just big enough, but adjustable enough to hold my equipment in place without moving around.
2) Plenty of padding to protect my equipment.
3) Rugged construction - reinforced corners, metal zippers, heavy stitching, water-resistant materials.
4) Easy access - flip-up top to I can get stuff out when the bag is hanging from my shoulder, zip or clip pouches on the outside for small stuff like memory cards.
5) Big, wide, soft, comfy shoulder strap, with rotating clips to easily untangle it.
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #34
206bones
Mouseketeer

vest vs. bag

Was wondering if anyone had used a vest vs. a camera bag for WDW photography? I like having everything handy but hands free.

I already look like a geek with a fanny pack. Imagine a fanny pack with a vest...
206bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #35
WillCAD
Where there's a Will there's a way

I've seen plenty of people wearing photographers' vests at WDW. It's a fairly common method for carrying extra gear.

Just be aware that lots of Guests will see your vest and mistake you for a PhotoPass photographer, and ask you to take their pictures.

I prefer to pare down my gear so that I don't need a bag or a vest.
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:31 AM   #36
MICKEY88
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 206bones
Was wondering if anyone had used a vest vs. a camera bag for WDW photography? I like having everything handy but hands free.

I already look like a geek with a fanny pack. Imagine a fanny pack with a vest...
I just did WDW in FEbruary using a vest and it was great, no need to remember to pick up my bag after watching shows or parades, everything was right there with easy access.

I will agree with WillCAD, people will stop and ask you to take their photo..I even had photopass photographers thinking I was one of them, one walked up to me near the castle and started talking to me, about another castmember,'till I told him I was just a guest, and then over in toon town when I walked in with my sister and nieces one of the photographers almost left thinking I was his replacement, until I followed my nieces to the next character...LOL

another advantage of a vest over a bag, I never had to wait to be checked by security, I was told since I had no bags to check, to walk thru the center area, I was more than ready to show the contents of my pockets, but was never asked to...

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:26 AM   #37
YEKCIM
DIS Veteran

I've used a vest thrice at Mickey's World and, at least for me, it is the best option. Advantages are better weight distribution, multiple pockets for handy retrieval of various items, waterproof pockets, to store cameras, etc, in the event of rain. Disadvantages are that it can be a little warm, on a hot day, and small stuff tends to get lost in the pockets. I can carry camcorder, still camera, extra batteries, memory cards, and tapes, a couple water bottles, snacks, OTC med's, park maps, and so on. Among the most useful items on my vest is a small velcro-closure set of mesh pockets on the front that are ideal for carrying PhotoPass card and park pass.

~YEKCIM
Old 04-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #38
Jilly16
Mouseketeer

What type of a bag?

I was just thinking...What type of a bag should I take into the parks with me. Mainly, I'll just be lugging around cameras and accessories, gum, handheld fan, sunglasses, a hat, $$$ and credit cards, ipod, a hairbrush
Jilly16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #39
eugeniuss
Lone Star Mouseketeer and Pentaxian

so where does one store their camera in a vest? surely it cant be worn around the neck all day, especially when on rides...
Wilderness Lodge 12-11
Disney Magic 3-9-13
eugeniuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:06 AM   #40
MICKEY88
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniuss
so where does one store their camera in a vest? surely it cant be worn around the neck all day, especially when on rides...
I personally do carry my camera around my neck all day, back in 2001 and 2002 I did WDW with 2 35mm SLRs and one point and shoot around my neck, my last trip this February I was down to one digital....

for rides I hold the camera in one hand, or zip it inside the vest,while still around my neck.

there also is the option of using the one large pocket which will hold an SLR with a moderate size lens..

Old 04-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #41
YEKCIM
DIS Veteran

Mrs. YEKCIM and I both wear photojournalist vests similar to the one pictured below, when we visit Mickey's World, as well as at other times, when there is a lot of "stuff" to be carried. The pockets on our vests (ours are Banana Republic, which no longer sells, them, AFAIK) are large, and will accomodate a pretty good size camera. I have a Canon Optura 30 camcorder (MiniDV) and it fits very nicely in one of the upper pockets. Typically, I wear the strap around my neck, but keep the camera in that pocket. There are also plenty of pockets, outside *and* inside, for everything you would need to carry.

~YEKCIM

Old 05-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #42
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

Good hip-pack style camera bag for SLR?

DH and I are getting ready for a trip to England in late June, and I am looking for a new way to carry my digital SLR and lenses. I currently have a Lowepro backpack that I love, but it isn't the best set up for this trip. I'm only going to bring my camera with the standard lens and one telephoto lens, plus extra batteries and flash cards. I'd like to find a good hip-pack (fanny-pack) for my camera stuff - any recommendations?

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #43
Greg K.
Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon

Try this

Also made by Lowepro .. it's the TLZ 20. They make slightly larger versions, also, which can accomodate larger lenses. I have this version, and it suits me fine. (I have a digital Pentax *ist, with a Sigma 18-125 lens.) I usually carry the bag on my shoulder, but it has a loop that allows you slip it on a belt. I think the shoulder strap can be adapted for hip-wearing, too.

Next trip: July 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
Others over the years: Beach Club Villas - Board Walk Inn - Disney Magic - Coronado Springs - Disneyland Hotel - Saratoga Springs - Bay Lake Tower - Contemporary
--

"Bidden or not bidden, God is present."

Visit: "The Deacon's Bench"
Greg K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #44
ducklite
Take the Poly, it's fabulous!
Another Mama Melroses fan here!
I am SO in! And I don't care if my friends all think I'm a dork because of it

Try the Lowepro Photo Runner Beltpack Camera Bag. Should be large enough to accomodate a DSLR and a couple of lens' plus some accessories. It's also convertable to shoulder carried if that becomes more convenient at times.

Have a great trip!

Anne
ducklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #45
Kelly Grannell
DIS Veteran

bag (preferabbly with roller) recommendation please?

Currently I'm carrying three bags everytime I go for a major shoot which is a pain in the -bleep-

Anybody can recommend where I can put the followings:

1. Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS attached to 30D with battery grip
2. Metz 54 Mz 4 flash
3. 8 sets of AA batteries
4. Canon battery charger
5. AA battery charger
6. Canon 50mm f/1.8 with rubber hood
7. Original Gary Fong diffuser
8. Canon A95 point and shoot camera
9. Sigma 18-125 f/5.6 lens
10. Canon 18-55 f/2.8 IS lens (with hood if one day it becomes available)
11. extra 2 sets of BP-511 battery
12. a 14" widescreen laptop with charger
13. business cards (I use up about 100 per session)
14. one or two more fixed lenses in the future (thinking about 35mm and 85mm)

oh, and the bag should be okay to be taken on-board as a carry on.

Thanks for all the advices beforehand.
Kelly Grannell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera bag, discount, kata, mountainsmith, photopass

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: