Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

I know this has been done before but... how little is too little?

I know this has been discussed before but I'm just wondering if I could get some input on the age of baby's first visit to WDW.

We visit WDW often (DVC members) and prefer to take things a little slower on vacation than many DISers, probably because we are able to visit often enough that we don't have to rush through everything.

I'm really looking for advise on what you all think is a good age to start traveling (plane or 20-ish hours by car, most likely broken up) with baby. I realize there are a ton of variables, just looking for a little input

DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Ariel8676
DIS Veteran

Honestly everyone is different and you will get a ton of different answers. There are many people who will not go to WDW until their child is out of diapers, or out of a stroller or old enough "to remember"...and then there are people like me that have been to WDW with a baby as young as 10 weeks..lol
I have 4 children and have been going since my oldest was 7 months old 1-2 times a year, every year. they are now 10,9,6,2 (this August will be the baby's 3rd trip already..lol).
We are like you..DVC, take things slow, if we dont see something this trip..we'll be back. We take is easy and don't stress..if its too hot we leave the parks, if someone is tired we rest.
So now with all that being said, its depends on what you can handle and what you feel comfortable with. Im a very easy going person and try not to let the little things stress me out..so driving to WDW from NJ every year with little ones is no biggie for me..but someone else might not enjoy that..lol
Ariel8676 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I know so many of us are such Disney nuts and so eager to have our kids experience the Disney love that we'd like to do it as soon as possible! And that's perfectly okay, though it does mean that you'll have to slow things down off your normal, pre-children pace. Until a child is about 1-ish, anything you do on your Disney trip is mostly for you, as babies are a little more more interested in the basics (bottle, sleeping, etc) than the scenery.

Despite the itch to go right away, I held off and waited until DD just turned 3. She was tall enough to go on most of the 40" rides. I think 40" is a magic number if you want them to be able to experience a lot of the rides. However, I am bringing my 2-year old this time, and while she can't go on a lot of rides, there's way more than enough there that she will enjoy.

I went for the first time when I was 5, and still remember it. However, I do think kids that are way younger can enjoy Disney, even if they might not remember it as they get older. If you have the means to go often, then go! Babies and toddlers will find something to love there--my brother just drove down with his 9 month old and they had a great time! However, if the trip is a stretch for you and you won't be able to afford to go often, I'd put it off a little so the child can experience as much as possible. We can only find it in our budget to go every few years, which is why we put it off. It was a really, really hard wait
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

I prefer not to expose a baby under 6 months to that many strange germs and the potential for weather extremes.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
LCoulter
Whoah Mouse

We started traveling to WDW when DD was 9 months and traveled there every 6 months after that. All but one trip was by plane and that has gone well. She is easily entertained with electronic games, cartoons and snacks.

At 3 years, we drove the 22 hours, spending one night along the way. I was surprised at how good she was, much better than me about riding that many hours. The only problem we had with her is that she did NOT want to get out of the car to take a break to eat because she wanted to hurry up and get there. We told her that Mommy and Daddy needed a break so she reluctantly got out of the car. Not once did she ask are we there yet.

The trip that we drove down to WDW, we actually took the auto-train on the way back. She did well with this too and thought the train was fun.

Our cousins flew with their 12 month old baby in December and it went well for them too but every child is different and you never know how they will react. Even if a child is difficult on one trip, the next trip may be fine.

Best wishes to you and your upcoming baby.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
momfeez
Mouseketeer

The first time DD went she was 18 months old whereas each of DS were about 6 months old. At 6 months old it was easy to travel with them and their schedules didn't get disrupted too much. They napped in their strollers and did well. It was more about spending time together as a family, it still is, than them remembering the trip.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
kohlby
DIS Veteran

We decided never to go to Disney with a stroller. Then the in-laws wanted to meet up there for their 50th anniversary. Well, how could we say no to that?! We figured it was worth a shot. At the time, I was pg and not telling anyone yet so we had to dedide in advance. We decided to go. And though the in-laws offered to cancel the trip once they found out, we knew we could find a way to handle it. So, we went at the end of May/start of June with a barely 3 year old and a 2 month old. It went fine. It wasn't perfect since it was our first trip with kids and we had to figure out all that. But it went well for what it was. As a result, we returned again 6 months later because we wanted to do Disney "right" this time now that we understood better how to do it with kids. And it went great!

As for planes, we drive to Disney just 8 hours, so it's a bit different. However, I took my first child on his first plane trips at 5.5 months old. It was three legs up and three back. Not a big deal. I'd fly with a young baby long before I'd drive 20 hours with a young baby. Germs are worse flying than driving but I found flying to be much easier.

Two of my three did not do well in the car for a while. My first screamed bloody murder the entire driving time anywhere until 16 months. So, there's no way I'd drive even 4 hours with him. (But flying was fine). My second did fine in the car and even would sleep in the car, which my first didn't do. My third was in the middle - had trouble with anything over an hour but would eventually sleep. So with work and proper nap timing, we could get him through the 8 hour drive.

*It was actually easier with a child under 1 for pace than a child 2/3. I've been three times with kids under a year and they stay in the sling and nurse when needed. There were a lot of diaper changes with the 2 month old, but that's all that slowed me down. Once they're 2/3 years , more slowing was needed since they would get more picky about likes/dislikes/fears. Plus, they wouldn't sleep in the stroller nor nap at 2/3 so that had to be factored in to how we tour.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_n_pooh View Post
I know this has been discussed before but I'm just wondering if I could get some input on the age of baby's first visit to WDW.

We visit WDW often (DVC members) and prefer to take things a little slower on vacation than many DISers, probably because we are able to visit often enough that we don't have to rush through everything.

I'm really looking for advise on what you all think is a good age to start traveling (plane or 20-ish hours by car, most likely broken up) with baby. I realize there are a ton of variables, just looking for a little input

Honestly, an infant is a much easier travel companion than a toddler or preschooler. If you are traveling only with the infant, just realize that you might have to slow down and take extra breaks that you might not have when you were traveling without a child. If you have other children with you, realize that one parent might be in the babycare center or sitting with a sleeping infant while the other takes the other children on a ride or into a show.

We took our DS to Disneyworld when he was 9 months old. It was really easy, and probably the most relaxing trip ever for me because I did a lot of sitting and people watching while he nursed, I pushed him in the stroller and browsed shops while DD7 and DH did some rides, and we all enjoyed ourselves very much.

It will be different, but you will adjust and adapt, just like you will adjust and adapt in your day to day activities. Don't worry about people who say "But he won't remember it" because YOU will remember it.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

We've traveled to WDW with each of our four kids between 8-12 weeks of age because we snuck in trips before my maternity leave was over. We've flown and driven with them and have never had any problems. We've always been "go with the flow" people, and have been blessed with incredibly easy babies. As others have said, infants are WAAAYYY easier to deal with than the older kids. Our kids are now 15, 13, 10 and 4 and have been to WDW more times than they can count.
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

My DS#1 went to WDW at 3, 5, 10 and 15 months. No issues any time. We had flown the 2.5 hours to Orlando twice and went to Vancouver (6 hours almost) before he was 6 months old.

We would have taken our DS#2 to WDW sooner but timing wasn't right (he was born right before Xmas and we didn't want to travel in Spring Break/Easter etc)

A lot will depend on your baby's personality. Both my DSs were/are extremely easy going/adaptable babies that sleep anywhere. If I had a colicky baby who screamed bloody murder for hours a day I would not be taking them to WDW. Just my 2 cents.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Heluvsme
DIS Veteran

I believe that when mama's happy, we're all happy! If I was wanting to get away and visit the World, regardless of my children's ages (well, within reason, probably started getting the itch when they were both around 6 months or so, up until then I didn't have the energy for it because I was sleep deprived, LOL!), then we would go!

My dh and I have always loved Disney, we went when the babies were old enough to hold their heads up in the backpack, we went when they were in strollers, and we go now that they're teens. When they were young, we went at a slower pace. When they got older, we followed their lead as far as how much they could handle. We adjusted and made it work, but we still went. We just needed that magical get away, it rejuvenated us, it refreshed us, and to know we were introducing our kids to the World just felt natural for us.

Enjoy!! Follow your heart, follow your child's lead, and have fun!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
VP037388
Mouseketeer

I agree with the poster who said 'not before 6 months'. We took our oldest the first time at 18 months. It was a 3 hour plane ride, no issues as long as he had a pacifier.
If you are willing to take it slow, you will have a great time. A typical day for us when he was 18 months was:
Get up early and have a quick breakfast
Go to the park, right to Fantasyland and ride 2-3 rides
Play on the playground, I think it's called Pooh Corner, right near the Dumbo ride. We spent 2 hours there.
Back to the hotel (Poly) for late lunch, long nap and then pool
Later dinner, played in the sand on the beach for an hour or two
Tried to watch the fireworks from our room but fell asleep. DS would never have made it back to the parks that day and stayed in good humor. He just wanted to run free.
VP037388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
ssommerville
Mouseketeer

Just got back from trip in March with my 6wk old and my three older kids and we had a great time. We definitely had to take things alot slower than usual and it was an adjustment traveling with baby, but it was worth it. My older kids were 6, 7, and 8 on their first trip so taking a baby was a new experience for me. Everything went well though and we're going back in September when he'll be almost 8 months old.

ssommerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

For me: Old enough that said child is out of diapers.

But then, that opinion is one of the reasons why I stopped having kids.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
mrsr2ro
Mouseketeer

To me the biggest factor would be the weather. I would not take a child under 2 in the hot months. Period. Other than that, the youngest I would take is about 2.5 months old. That way they have their first round of shots and my four all started sleeping through the night about that age (11pm - 7am). We flew with all four of our children at that age - not to Disney - but to have them baptised at my parent's church and meet all the family. It's about a 2.5 hour flight. It is by far, the easiest age to fly with (I would say 2mo - 6mo - before they can crawl). I would worry more about germs with a crawler/newly walking toddler who love to touch everything and put everythign in their mouth. A newborn will only be in your arms and carrier so if you are good about handwashing, should be ok. Of course check with your doctor first.

As four our experiences at Disney specifically - we went when our 3rd child was 13mo (I was pregnant with our fourth). My parents came too. We all decided that SHE had the most fun on that trip than anyone else. I was shocked how much she got out of it at 13mo. While she doesn't remember it now that she's 3, we adults do, and it warms my heart whenever I think about it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: