Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #256
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantclaire View Post
Hi all, I was looking to book Southwest for March break as well. Did not see any cheap flights to MCO, so we decided to change things up and go to Fort Lauderdale. Got one flight for 315.00 CDN and 2 for 345.00 CDN return. Direct flights from Buffalo. Good flight times as well. Only thing now is I am finding hotels a lot more expensive then Orlando!
Hotels are high because the FL break and our break are the same week. Also, because the weather in Ft. L is much warmer than central FL.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #257
KennedyDCL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenclan67 View Post
Can u get a refund from AC? Maybe going to Buffalo on Southwest would work better. Way note flight times and the wait time and security at Pearson you could probably drive to Buffalo and through security in the time that it took u at Pearson.
Or Allegiant from Niagara Falls?
Thas greenclan67, I've definitely been looking at all options. The SW option out of Buffalo looks reasonable and is under consideration. It's not much cheaper then AC, but the travel time is definitely preferred. I'm a little concerned about a 7:45 flight time though, given we are on starting on the east side of Toronto at best 3:30. 407 definitely helps but still feels very rushed. It's an hour later, but it'd only be another 1h 15m on top of the 40 minute drive to Pearson, not taking into consideration the boarder crossing at 5ish on the Friday of March Break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinsrule View Post
DW is a a teacher here in TO. For March 2013 we did the late SW direct from BUF. DW left school when the bell rang. I had the kids and bags waiting for her and we were on the road to BUF before 4. We were at the airport just after 6 pm. Plane ended up being delayed by about 45 min. Stayed at the MCO Hyatt since we got in so late and used the DCL transfer the next morning to get to the Fantasy. It is doable, but it was stressful.
Definitely sounds more stressful on the way down but much less stressful for the trip home, which I think is more important. But then again, the flight back doesn't matter if you don't make the flight down.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them all!
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #258
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennedyDCL View Post
Thas greenclan67, I've definitely been looking at all options. The SW option out of Buffalo looks reasonable and is under consideration. It's not much cheaper then AC, but the travel time is definitely preferred. I'm a little concerned about a 7:45 flight time though, given we are on starting on the east side of Toronto at best 3:30. 407 definitely helps but still feels very rushed. It's an hour later, but it'd only be another 1h 15m on top of the 40 minute drive to Pearson, not taking into consideration the boarder crossing at 5ish on the Friday of March Break.

!
I would not even attempt that. I live in Oakville and we allow 4 hours prior to flight time to get to BUF on a normal day(this does give about a 30-40 minute cushion). On that MB Friday, for myself, I would allow 5 hours. I have crossed into the US on a few different holiday-ish weekends and the border wait time can be very bad. The worst I've seen so far was on a Saturday when July 1 was on the Monday....the lines were 2-3 hours long by 10am. There was a large group of us flying to MCO and about half missed the flight.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #259
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennedyDCL View Post
I wish we could unfortunately 3 members of our group work for a school board, two of them as teachers which means they will be working on the Friday and are unable to take it off.

There is an earlier flight leaving at 5:15 instead of the 6:40 flight we were originally booked on but it basically requires my DW to be off school property by 2pm. It is very difficult to pre-arrange an early departure on the Friday before March Break since I'm sure all teachers would love the option to vacate the school property as early as possible.
Understood..frustrating.
The travelling to and from is always the least enjoyable part of the trip to me when they throw a curveball in..even more so.
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #260
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
I would not even attempt that. I live in Oakville and we allow 4 hours prior to flight time to get to BUF on a normal day(this does give about a 30-40 minute cushion). On that MB Friday, for myself, I would allow 5 hours. I have crossed into the US on a few different holiday-ish weekends and the border wait time can be very bad. The worst I've seen so far was on a Saturday when July 1 was on the Monday....the lines were 2-3 hours long by 10am. There was a large group of us flying to MCO and about half missed the flight.
Totally agree, I'm in Oakville also and not a chance would I attempt.
The border waits can be bad at anytime but on a Friday Saturday and holiday weekend factored in, not a chance.
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #261
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
Totally agree, I'm in Oakville also and not a chance would I attempt.
The border waits can be bad at anytime but on a Friday Saturday and holiday weekend factored in, not a chance.
Also chiming in with my agreement. I live near those borders and have my whole life. I avoid holiday weekends like the plague, and if I had to I'd build in a 2 hour cushion just to sit at the border on top of the drive time.
We used to go to Lake Placid every Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. We'd leave a day early to avoid waits crossing over, and we pretty much just sat at a dead stop at the Peace Bridge for at least 1.5 to 2 hours coming home.

ETA) and while I can't confirm this, I would expect heightened security these days, and would bet my last dollar that it's making the waits even longer.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #262
KennedyDCL
Earning My Ears

Thanks for everyone's comments, basically confirms cross-boarder departure is out. Definitely not worth the risk of missing a flight. I'd prefer to get in at midnight then not at all.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #263
ssmurphy28
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmurphy28 View Post
We just booked Calgary to Orlando RT from January 21-31. We could have gone for just under $500.00, but we booked $510.00 per person, which is fairly good from Calgary. The slightly more expensive flights allowed us to choose better layovers and departure times!
So, United just changed our departure time out if Calgary, which defeated the purpose of booking a little earlier than I typically would. We wanted a little bit later departure, so that we wouldn't have to be up in the middle of the night, but they moved us from an 8:50AM to a 6:40AM flight out of Calgary. So that will be a tough travel day for us! Now instead of a 1.5 hour layover in Houston, we will be camped out for nearly 4 hours. Not ideal with two young boys!
ssmurphy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #264
smashing
Earning My Ears

Is there another flight they can put you on instead? I would be livid!!! It drives me nuts that airlines charge us an arm and a leg if we need to change something but they can do it at any time
smashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #265
ssmurphy28
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing View Post
Is there another flight they can put you on instead? I would be livid!!! It drives me nuts that airlines charge us an arm and a leg if we need to change something but they can do it at any time
I just got off the phone and had no luck. If I wanted to play around with my reservations at all, it would be at least $200.00 per ticket for the change fee. There is an earlier flight out of Houston the same day, so my only option is to request standy-by on that flight when I check in for my original one. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either. As long as we make it to Orlando sometime that day!
ssmurphy28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: