Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #91
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
And FWIW, I don't necessarily agree with the posters who are jumping immediately to potential danger. During their battles with Alzheimer's, both of my grandmothers believed wrong things about the past/family situations and one heard voices (not God, but my deceased grandfather), and according to both doctors that isn't particularly unusual in dementia patients. However, that does come with its own set of risks - the unintentional dangers of someone with dementia trying to cook, for example (we had to shut off the gas to my grandmother's stove when it wasn't in use because she would leave it on, or worse, not realize that the gas was on but the burner hadn't lit).
Potential danger is just that, potential. It doesn't mean its inevitable, I don't think anyone here is saying it will happen. There may be a very very slim chance that the OP's aunt harms anyone, but there is still a slim chance. Would you be willing to risk your children on that? I know I wouldn't. The aunt has not been evaluated so the OP knows nothing of her condition, that is what is "dangerous" about this woman living in her home, with her children.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #92
sweetpeakaris
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

My neighbor is a psychiatrist, I didn't want to bother her with my problems but I'm glad I did as she is eager to help. She was able to give me explanations about my aunts behavior in a way it makes total sense. I took my aunt in today for an evaluation at my neighbors office, She doesn't feel that she is a danger at all, but of course can't guarantee. She will have weekly 1hr sessions and we will see how things go.

When my aunt DD died, she left behind 3 children(1 girl, 2 boys), my aunt had raised them from birth until the kids dad won custody & took them away, never saw or heard from them in over 12 yrs. Therefore, my neighbor says that my aunts way of dealing with that pain was to create 3 more grandchildren that she knows dont exist, but it gave her comfort.

As for thinking that God is talking to her. She was homeless for years, with absolutely no family, friends or anyone to talk to. She does believe in God & therefore believe that he was the only one she had by her side & its not uncommon for lonely people to think they hear God or people talking to them. My aunt also told my neighbor that she doesn't remember much about her life prior to becoming homeless, so she is definitely blocking out the pain & trauma she's been through.

In a nut shell, she has been through alot, needs closure, & most of all needs to feel loved. I'm glad that I have someone right next door that has offered her support. My aunt is truely a sweet woman, & deserves to live a healthy, happy life, & I hope I can help her through this. I've seen her grow so much in the 2 weeks she's been here, that I know she really needed to have people around her that care. She is constantly thanking my husband & I for taking her in, she loves being apart of our family.

sweetpeakaris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #93
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Potential danger is just that, potential. It doesn't mean its inevitable, I don't think anyone here is saying it will happen. There may be a very very slim chance that the OP's aunt harms anyone, but there is still a slim chance. Would you be willing to risk your children on that? I know I wouldn't. The aunt has not been evaluated so the OP knows nothing of her condition, that is what is "dangerous" about this woman living in her home, with her children.
If I felt the potential was slim enough, sure. I'm not one to avoid risk at all costs. In this case, I'd push for an evaluation but I wouldn't be leaping to any conclusions in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeakaris View Post

My neighbor is a psychiatrist, I didn't want to bother her with my problems but I'm glad I did as she is eager to help. She was able to give me explanations about my aunts behavior in a way it makes total sense. I took my aunt in today for an evaluation at my neighbors office, She doesn't feel that she is a danger at all, but of course can't guarantee. She will have weekly 1hr sessions and we will see how things go.

When my aunt DD died, she left behind 3 children(1 girl, 2 boys), my aunt had raised them from birth until the kids dad won custody & took them away, never saw or heard from them in over 12 yrs. Therefore, my neighbor says that my aunts way of dealing with that pain was to create 3 more grandchildren that she knows dont exist, but it gave her comfort.

As for thinking that God is talking to her. She was homeless for years, with absolutely no family, friends or anyone to talk to. She does believe in God & therefore believe that he was the only one she had by her side & its not uncommon for lonely people to think they hear God or people talking to them. My aunt also told my neighbor that she doesn't remember much about her life prior to becoming homeless, so she is definitely blocking out the pain & trauma she's been through.

In a nut shell, she has been through alot, needs closure, & most of all needs to feel loved. I'm glad that I have someone right next door that has offered her support. My aunt is truely a sweet woman, & deserves to live a healthy, happy life, & I hope I can help her through this. I've seen her grow so much in the 2 weeks she's been here, that I know she really needed to have people around her that care. She is constantly thanking my husband & I for taking her in, she loves being apart of our family.
So happy to hear it. I love hearing about neighbors helping one another, especially since it is helping you to give your aunt what she needs to get her own life on a more positive track. I hope you are all able to get past any adjustment issues and that this works out to be a blessing all around.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #94
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeakaris View Post

Maybe with your neighbors professional help, and support and love from you and your family your aunt will be be able to heal her old wounds and work on getting herself back. Good luck to you all
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #95
shortbun
Peacenik

Talking You are amazing OP!!!

Love the way you are willing to step in and help out a family member down on her luck. BRAVO !!!
Kudos!!! And a big hug!

Keep up the good work. God sent you to your aunt! I believe that she will do some healing once she feels safe for a while and has good nutrition and love.
Your neighbor is another blessing. Good luck and good job.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: