Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #916
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
It's pretty bad when you're procrastinating leaning on a shovel.
We had to trade them in for snow shovels this year.

Quote:
It was Pat! And Kathy!
I knew it! They always looked a little shifty to me.

Quote:
He stole that idea from a Gilligan's Island episode. And then Star Wars episode 6, Return of the Jedi.
How can I disagree?

Quote:
He should've paid closer attention to how Gilligan pulled it off.
Yeah, I don't remember Gilligan getting stabbed to death. That would have been a dark turn.

Quote:
So that's what they were saying!
Just providing another valuable service.

Quote:
I sense that you're not looking at this from the king's perspective. If you think about it that way, you might see why this makes total sense.
A more progressive thinker might have just instituted a shadow tax.

Quote:
Dang, that means that no coffee beans in my backyard. It got down to about 7 degrees this morning.

Missed it by that much!
+1

Just a bit outside.

Quote:
Ace Ventura, Pet Detective.
+1

The opening was a Simpsons paraphrase as well.

Quote:
This should be a new meme. It's pretty close to the Herbert Lom gif I've been looking for...if only it were animated.
I shudder to think what could happen to this photo if the interwebs gets their hands on it.

Quote:
The condo in Kauai looks great!
It worked great for us! Except for one tiny problem, which I'll get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
Wow, another island. When you guys do Hawaii, you really cover it! Looking forward to hearing more, though it sounds like your stay here is a bit of a different pace than on the other islands. Oh, and thanks for the picture of almost-Aulani from the air!
We looked at the trip as maybe our only chance to see Hawaii, so we didn't want to pass anything up!

And you're welcome for the crackerjack trip reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
Got caught up.

Looking forward to seeing how you describe Kauai, the island with the 7pm curfew.
They had a curfew? Uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
Also note any time you get airline seats in the 30s not good unless you are crossing an ocean.
Duly noted. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
REminds me of a puddle jumper flight I had with a seat assignment of row 13- the flight attendant says when I board- " ??? We only have 12 rows"

Did you have to sit on the wing or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Wha? Huh?
Don't play that innocent game with me!
Captain_Oblivious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #917
jwwi
DIS Veteran

I'm in post vacation depression, had a great time in HI. Thank you for your great trip report. I should have taken more notes prior to leaving, my internet was so spotty during the trip. Kona Brewing Co was our second favorite restaurant, and the top one was Mama's fish house. We will need a loan if we go back to HI and revisit Mama's. I think I'll have to re read your TR, but with just a quick review my main observation is that you did a lot more hiking than we did, but we didn't have kids with us. I guess that makes us lazy.....
Rained our entire 3 days on Oahu, for 90-99% of the day. Oh well, I did get my non Disney fans to visit Aulani. And we even had some great drinks and appetizers in the bar, pretty good happy hour prices. I had about 5-10 minutes in their gift shop, definitely not long enough.
Loved Kona, the Royal Kona resort, with a room overlooking the ocean-awesome sounds of the waves. Ate at Lava Java for breakfast, and took a trip over to Volcanoes natl park.
Maui was our favorite, had a great condo in Wailea, and cooked most meals. The Safeway rocks, we went almost everyday, and it was always busy.
Finally I loved POG, first found it at ABC store, then had to buy a gallon. Makes a pretty good tropical mixer with rum too!
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #918
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
I'm in post vacation depression, had a great time in HI.
I know what that post-vacation depression feels like all too well. But I'm glad it was a good trip!

Quote:
Thank you for your great trip report. I should have taken more notes prior to leaving, my internet was so spotty during the trip. Kona Brewing Co was our second favorite restaurant, and the top one was Mama's fish house. We will need a loan if we go back to HI and revisit Mama's. I think I'll have to re read your TR, but with just a quick review my main observation is that you did a lot more hiking than we did, but we didn't have kids with us. I guess that makes us lazy.....
Nah, we're just hyperactive. The baby will slow us down. Anyway, I'm glad you liked Kona Brewing as much as we did!

Quote:
Rained our entire 3 days on Oahu, for 90-99% of the day. Oh well, I did get my non Disney fans to visit Aulani. And we even had some great drinks and appetizers in the bar, pretty good happy hour prices. I had about 5-10 minutes in their gift shop, definitely not long enough.
Glad you got to see Aulani! It's an amazing place, isn't it?

Quote:
Loved Kona, the Royal Kona resort, with a room overlooking the ocean-awesome sounds of the waves. Ate at Lava Java for breakfast, and took a trip over to Volcanoes natl park.

Quote:
Maui was our favorite, had a great condo in Wailea, and cooked most meals. The Safeway rocks, we went almost everyday, and it was always busy.
Finally I loved POG, first found it at ABC store, then had to buy a gallon. Makes a pretty good tropical mixer with rum too!
Good idea! We found some sort of V8 juice that is similar to POG, and the kids have been guzzling that lately. Not with the rum, though.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #919
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Hi! I’m Captain_Oblivious. You may remember me from trip reports such as “Operation Big Thunder” and “Delaware: So Close To Where You’d Rather Be.”
If you want to travel to the ends of the earth???

Quote:
It’s been a long, long time since I updated this report with a new chapter, but now that baby Drew is here, I’m back at work and procrastinating just as well as I ever did before.
For a second there, you were starting to sound like a first-timer at an AA meeting.

All I can say is, thank goodness for baby Drew! I'm not nearly as far behind here as usual...........

(And you thought you had cornered the procrastination market)

Quote:
It was our last day on the Big Island. Breakfast was the first order of business, and we had no intention of visiting Stoney and the Totally Radical Bakery again.
Oh come on! Everyone deserves a second chance, right???

Quote:
So we took a page out of fellow DISDad cj9200’s Hawaiian trip report (literally, it’s page 12) and went to Island Lava Java for breakfast. They have some seating, but we got takeout since we were on the run. Wonder of wonders: not only did they list a cinnamon roll on the menu, but they were available for purchase! Even better, they were huge and delicious. And they went great with 100% Kona coffee.

Quote:
We were kicking ourselves for not coming here for breakfast on the previous morning.
My guess is it was more like a certain someone you had starved earlier in this trip was kicking Captain Oblivious.............

Quote:
Some Hawaiians stole a small boat from the crew, and the resulting dispute over the boat ended up with Captain Cook dead from a stab wound. The white memorial across the bay marks the site of his death.
It was nice of them to go ahead and mark that spot, knowing the historical significance one day.

Quote:
If you were guilty of breaking a kapu, you had one chance: you could literally run for your life. You would have to head for this place of refuge, and if you made it before the rest of the village caught you, a priest on the site could absolve you of your sin, perform a purification rite, and allow you to go free until the next time you got too careless with your shadow placement.
Today, that would just get you a co-starring role on an episode of "Cops"

Quote:
They had a few of these tiki figures around the park. As always, we were careful to maintain a respectful distance.
Which one is the Tiki???

Quote:
Except for Sarah. Honestly, I don’t know where she gets this from.
Honestly? Reallllllllly???

Quote:
Our next stop on the way back to Kona was the Greenwell Coffee Farm. This is one of many coffee plantations in the area that offers free tours of their facility (and the chance to buy as much expensive coffee from their shop as you’d like).
You’ll never believe this, but the tour actually started from the gift shop.........
No Way!!!!

Quote:
All in all, we were glad we took the tour. It was interesting enough to feel like you learned something about the coffee-growing business, and short enough that it didn’t feel dry. And, of course, the price was right.
Between the Island Lava Java and this tour, I thought for a second I had gotten redirected to one of Kathy's TRs.

It does sound like a good tour, and quite interesting.

Quote:
Our flight had a stop in Honolulu on the way to Kauai, where we had to change planes. When I printed out the boarding passes, we had a slight problem: we had no seat assignments on the second leg. I started measuring Scotty to see if he could fit in a suitcase, but Julie suggested I talk to the customer service rep instead.
After all, she was already transporting a stowaway.........

Quote:
It was only after we started our descent that I realized my side of the plane wasn’t turning to face the island until after we’d passed all of those sights. Sigh.
If I had a nickel.......................

Quote:
We had an hour (or so) drive to Princeville ahead of us, so I’m sorry to say we punted on dinner and just stopped at a KFC in the town of Lihue. You can let me know if you’d like a review of our meal there.
That's okay. Now if you had found a HFC..............

Quote:
We’d rented a condo in The Cliffs in the town of Princeville on vrbo.com for this stay, mostly because it was cheaper and gave us more room than the hotels on the island. It was dark when we arrived, but check-in went smoothly and the condo was really a nice place to stay.
I've used them before with a lot of luck. Looks like you hit the jackpot!

Quote:
Once we unpacked, we pretty much collapsed into bed. It had been a long couple of days, and that would influence our decisions over the next couple of days. And possibly cause some regrets.
Uh oh!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #920
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
If you want to travel to the ends of the earth???
Delaware actually makes a pretty good home base for travel junkies.

Quote:
For a second there, you were starting to sound like a first-timer at an AA meeting.
The opening was actually a Simpsons reference. I thought it would work given my absence from the boards.

Quote:
All I can say is, thank goodness for baby Drew! I'm not nearly as far behind here as usual...........

(And you thought you had cornered the procrastination market)
Not only did the baby cause some delays, but I've had some work assignments that have limited my DIS time too!

Quote:
Oh come on! Everyone deserves a second chance, right???
Uh...

Quote:
My guess is it was more like a certain someone you had starved earlier in this trip was kicking Captain Oblivious.............
I'm pretty sure I had starved the entire family by this point.

Quote:
It was nice of them to go ahead and mark that spot, knowing the historical significance one day.
It must have taken a lot of work for the natives to mix all that concrete.

Quote:
Today, that would just get you a co-starring role on an episode of "Cops"
How do you know this, exactly?

Quote:
Which one is the Tiki???
Handsome guys, huh?

Quote:
Honestly? Reallllllllly???

Quote:
Between the Island Lava Java and this tour, I thought for a second I had gotten redirected to one of Kathy's TRs.

It does sound like a good tour, and quite interesting.
You can still tell the difference because there's none of that yucky Starbucks.

Quote:
After all, she was already transporting a stowaway.........

Quote:
That's okay. Now if you had found a HFC..............
That would have been much more unique!

Quote:
I've used them before with a lot of luck. Looks like you hit the jackpot!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #921
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
NOOOOO!!!!

You can get replacements, though:
http://store.konabrewingco.com/Barwa.../KON50-0006-01
Thanks for the link…. but guess what? It wasn't my Kona glass- I found that in the back of the cabinet. It was my Brooklyn Brewery pint glass. Guess I'll have to take a trip down to NYC and get another one. My mistake. I must of been drunk when I posted.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #922
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Thanks for the link…. but guess what? It wasn't my Kona glass- I found that in the back of the cabinet. It was my Brooklyn Brewery pint glass. Guess I'll have to take a trip down to NYC and get another one. My mistake. I must of been drunk when I posted.
The good news is, that's a much easier drive for you.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #923
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Chapter 26: A Whole Bunch of Nothin'

Take a moment, if you will, and imagine spending a night on an idyllic tropical island. On this hypothetical tropical island—we’ll call it, “Kauai”—you’ve somehow managed to find a gorgeous condo not far from the ocean. You leave the windows open at night, because the climate is so perfect, the breeze from the ocean just strong enough, that it makes for the perfect sleeping environment.

Let’s say you’ve also been going hard as a family over the past couple of days. You’ve been hiking miles in the heat of the day, driving hundreds of miles, dealing with airline snafus, and getting to bed late at night. It’s beyond time to slow down and rest for a bit. Your plan is to sleep in and take it easy for a day.

Now imagine, if you will, that there is a balcony off your 2nd-floor bedroom. Again, you’ve left the glass door open and the screen in place so you can feel the tropical breezes and enjoy the mild temperatures at night. It’s a glorious night. Outside of your balcony is a tree. It’s a nice-looking tree, strong and lush and healthy, as befits the island climate. This also makes it a popular home for small island creatures.

And, apparently, a rooster. A big ugly rooster who believes it is his God-given duty to announce that the sun is coming up just past 5-FREAKIN’-O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING and do so at a decibel level equal to a dump truck rumbling through a nitroglycerin plant.

We shot out of bed and may or may not have shouted something along the lines of, “What the ____ is THAT?!” So much for sleeping in. Remember that scene in My Cousin Vinny where Joe Pesci is trying to sleep in the cabin and the screeching owl makes some hideous noise, and he comes charging out in his boxers randomly firing a gun into the woods? If I’d been armed that morning, I might have re-enacted the scene.

We got the little punk on camera a little later. I think I’ll name him Extra Crispy.

You might be wondering why we were dealing with a rooster at our condo. As it turns out, Kauai is overrun with wild chickens. This was apparently due to a hurricane that blew through the island several years ago, destroying fences and farms and scattering the animals to the wild. The chickens have proliferated and run wild all over the island since then. It was actually pretty amusing to see them running around just about everywhere we went.

The most-desired sights we wanted to see on Kauai were Waimea Canyon and the famed Na Pali Coast. But that involved driving all the way down to the southwest side of the island, and we were exhausted after all of the hard driving/late nights of the past couple of days. So we put off any more driving for a day and decided to goof off and putter around the north shore of the island. Here was the view from our bedroom balcony in the morning (minus the @#$% chicken):

On the other side, we finally got to see Hawaii’s state bird: The nene.

Scotty was overjoyed to see them “in the wild”. We enjoyed some coffee and breakfast and a bit of a lazy morning before piling into the car. We turned right out of Princeville onto the main road, heading toward the end of the road at Ke’e Beach on the northwest corner of the island. Not far down the road, there is an overlook that gives a great view of the mountains and the Hanalei valley below. The fields below are taro fields, which is the plant that produces that delicious Hawaiian staple, poi. You know, the purple crap I never want to taste again.

Here are the kids. Note the excellent composition of this photo.

Then we got someone else to take a family shot. Remember, kids, when taking a family photo, try and obscure the spectacular background scenery as much as possible—because really, who wants to see that?

Another turnoff just a few hundred feet down the road gave us this view of the north shore and Hanalei Bay. The peaks may look familiar to anyone who ever watched Fantasy Island way back when (and yes, I know I’m dating myself).

By the way, the mountain range here on Kauai is known as the wettest spot on earth—well over 400 inches of rain fall on the peaks annually. But on this day, it sure does look clear, doesn’t it? Looks like this would have been a great day to be up there.

Check this out. Even my kids take better pictures than the average stranger.

And yes, we busted out the Aulani shirts again. Because we had to justify the expense.

The drive to Ke’e Beach is another narrow, winding one reminiscent of the Hana Highway (only not nearly as long, thank goodness). Once again there are several one-lane bridges that must be navigated.

Local custom is to allow 5-6 cars one on side proceed across before taking your turn. One of the bridges was helpfully posted with a weight limit, as though you could instantly figure out the weight of the cars ahead of you before knowing when to proceed.

We reached the end of the road where there were several parking areas, both for the beach and the Kalalau Trail. I’m not sure how long this guy had been parked here, but it was evident that he chose…poorly.

The Kalalau Trail is a hike that runs 11 miles along the Na Pali Coast wandering all over the sheer cliff edges. Any hiker who wants to go the full length has to get a permit and plan to spend the night at Kalalau Beach on the far end of the trail. It’s the only way to see the entire coastline without shelling out for a helicopter or boat tour, as there are no roads through that part of the island. The guidebook said an attempt was made and abandoned when construction equipment started sinking into the mud on the mountain.

When I had originally planned this trip, I had hoped to hike the first part of the trail—it’s 2 miles to the first beach, which is a little hidden alcove nestled amid the cliffs. I thought it would be really cool to see. But given our experience with the other steep hike we did on Maui, we realized it was going to be too much of a struggle for a pregnant woman. So we decided not to bother trying. I guess we’ll have to go back.

We’d hoped to explore the beach a bit, but there was no parking to be found anywhere (not even in the puddle), so we turned around and went back the other way. We drove east to the town of Kilauea and followed the signs (and our map) to an overlook of the Kilauea Lighthouse. There’s a fee to enter the grounds, but cheapskates like us were able to park at the overlook and observe the gorgeous scenery from there.

We may have been doing absolutely nothing, but you couldn’t beat the views.

It was already lunchtime, and we hadn’t bought any PB&J. To tell the truth, we may have been sick of it at that point anyway. So we drove back to Hanalei, headed towards the pier on the northeast end of the beach, and sought out a gourmet delicacy that had been recommended by Ellen (podsnel) in her Hawaiian trip report: The taco truck.

Pat’s Taqueria truck is a Hanalei beach institution, serving meals daily next to the pier. There’s a big park/grassy parking lot nearby that makes it easy to access the beach and pier.

The menu:

We went for a mix of the carne asada and kalua pork tacos. I had the beef, and it was excellent. My only regret was ordering 1 instead of 2:

The only photo I have of the pork taco is this model-quality shot of Scotty eating his:

We took advantage of the outdoor seating area. Ignore my daughter being a goofball.

Here’s a better idea of our lunchtime surroundings. For doing nothing, this sure was something.

And last but not least, here’s the pitiful-looking dog who kept inching his way closer to our table hoping for taco scraps.

Ever feel like you’re being followed?

Coming Up Next: The second half of our do-nothing day. Boy, that sounds like compelling reading, doesn’t it? We might have to throw in some sunset pictures to keep you interested.

Last edited by Captain_Oblivious; 03-19-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #924
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #925
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I knew it! They always looked a little shifty to me.

Hey hey hey...that wasn't very nice.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #926
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Well, I would have felt bad for you for the rooster waking up if I hadn't read that snide remark about Pat and I. Therefore, I only feel sorry for pregnant Julie that she was woken up by the rooster.

Beautiful pictures, as always, Mark. You guys really hit a lot of great spots. I, of course, love the family picture. And your kids did a better job than the tourist.

I don't eat tacos (yeah, I know I'm weird so you don't have to say it), and freckle-nosed Scotty sure seems to be enjoying his.

So did you give the dog any scraps?

***Oh, and it was easy to ignore your goofball daughter because there isn't a picture there.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #927
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I think you should have had Rooster Tacos.

Gorgeous views...looks like a great day other than the early wake up call.

Jill in CO
Old 03-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #928
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Ooooooh, I remember that beach and taco truck from Ellen's report! I think that lazy days doing nothing are sometimes the best way to spend your days. Take this entire week for instance.... I'm getting all caught up on everyone's TRs!

The scenery there is just breathtaking, and good call on skipping the 2 mile hike to the beach, especially without PB&J in tow!
Alison ~~~~ Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #929
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Hey hey hey...that wasn't very nice.
Glenn started it!

Quote:
Well, I would have felt bad for you for the rooster waking up if I hadn't read that snide remark about Pat and I. Therefore, I only feel sorry for pregnant Julie that she was woken up by the rooster.
Admit it, you would have said that even if I hadn't followed Glenn's lead and joked about you and Pat. (See that bus? Glenn is fully under it at this point)

Quote:
Beautiful pictures, as always, Mark. You guys really hit a lot of great spots. I, of course, love the family picture. And your kids did a better job than the tourist.
Agreed! Julie and I thought Oahu and Kauai were the most beautiful of the islands. The mountains are more weathered and rugged. We loved the sheer cliffs.

Quote:
I don't eat tacos (yeah, I know I'm weird so you don't have to say it), and freckle-nosed Scotty sure seems to be enjoying his.
Nice job with the pre-emptive strike there, keeping me from poking fun at you.

Quote:
So did you give the dog any scraps?
Nope! Because a) I'm a jerk. And b) we were hungry, and didn't order enough tacos to have leftovers.

Quote:
***Oh, and it was easy to ignore your goofball daughter because there isn't a picture there.
Fixed! Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #930
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Thanks for fixing the goofball daughter pic.

And she has to be in a house full of boys...poor girl.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: