Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
sweetcreams
Mouseketeer

I'm interested in this thread because my DH is always talking about retiring to Florida (15 years off right now). I love spring and fall here in the Northeast, but I don't think I would miss the cold. For those of you that made the move, do you miss the seasons living in Florida?
sweetcreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcreams View Post
I'm interested in this thread because my DH is always talking about retiring to Florida (15 years off right now). I love spring and fall here in the Northeast, but I don't think I would miss the cold. For those of you that made the move, do you miss the seasons living in Florida?
hi welcome to Dis the only time I get a little sad re seasons is around Christmas cold weather snow shopping for the perfect tree having hot chocolate when returning then I talk to my family in NY, remind myself of slush & icy windshields & driving to work behind snowplows Come to my senses thank God for palmtrees and watch Its a Wonderful Life

So in a word to your question NO
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #18
Barbydoll8
Offical Disney Dork

move to FL

I do not, I repeat...DO NOT MISS THE COLD! It does get cold here. Mind you - not freezing (well, we did a few winters back but it's rare). I think it gets cold enough long enough to give you a break from the heat. Still cold enough to wear a coat/jacket for at least a month or so.

The first Christmas here was a bit weird but now, I can't imagine not going out to look at lights in a pair of shorts.
Barbydoll8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
trewin
Mouseketeer

Just wondering-- How does everybody deal with the heat in the summer after moving from the north? My sister said her friend who lives in Fl (on the beach) "doesn't go outside.." Is it really as bad as some people make it out to be?
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
Livvys
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin
Just wondering-- How does everybody deal with the heat in the summer after moving from the north? My sister said her friend who lives in Fl (on the beach) "doesn't go outside.." Is it really as bad as some people make it out to be?
We work during the hottest part of the day, so we don't even notice it much . You really do get used to it tho!
Livvys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin View Post
Yes...the heat gets very brutal especially in August. It's so humid and the frequent thunderstorms usually don't help much. The best way to avoid it is obviously stay inside in the a/c and it doesn't hurt to have a pool close by.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvys View Post
We work during the hottest part of the day, so we don't even notice it much . You really do get used to it tho!
We've lived here since August and been on vacations in the summer and I think you are the first person I've spoken to from Florida who says you get used to it. There's a difference between being used to it, and learning to cope with it, which is what I think most of us have to do haha. Lots of time indoors, and pools are a must.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer

My parents go back and forth between PA and Fl, they live in Pasco Co. They love being so close to the beach (Howard Park is lovely). Some areas are very nice, others have really gone down hill in the last 10 years.
In talking w/ the neighbors they have not been very impressed w/ the schools in their area. As pp said, the grade and middle schools are lacking some.
They are there from July to end of Sept. Do your yard work early on, or right before sun set. Everything in FL is set up for the heat, so at least once you're inside, you're ok. They haven't had anything storm wise effect them too much and they've had the house for over 10 years.
***sidenote***** the Greek bakeries in Tarpon Springs are soooo good and worth the drive
Old 03-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
Livvys
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa7287

We've lived here since August and been on vacations in the summer and I think you are the first person I've spoken to from Florida who says you get used to it. There's a difference between being used to it, and learning to cope with it, which is what I think most of us have to do haha. Lots of time indoors, and pools are a must.
I've lived in south florida for 12 years now and I've gotten used to it. Like I said, if you work during the day u miss the hottest part. Beach and pools are great and AC is a must. I moved from Boston and loved cold, but not I've become a wus lol! 69's are COLD hahahahaha
Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
Livvys
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvys

I've lived in south florida for 12 years now and I've gotten used to it. Like I said, if you work during the day u miss the hottest part. Beach and pools are great and AC is a must. I moved from Boston and loved cold, but not I've become a wus lol! 69's are COLD hahahahaha
Ugh... Horrible typing on my iPad! *now and *60's!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #26
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

I am a Fl builder and have worked outside several entire summers. You learn to deal with it AND you get used to it. Wear white clothes including a hat, drink lots of gatorade, and it can be tolerated.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: