Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #2806
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Oh happy day! The endo just sent me a letter and said my tsh went from 1.7 to 0.3, so I guess the extra pill on sundays is working.

And more happy..since our wonderful President has decided to sanction Russia, guess who's dh is not going to Russia, yippee! He is coming back a week early and only going to China. Ds1 is coming back 2 days before him.

ang - my ds is 24, he has 2 more years, so I am just preparing since he has so many medical issues, will eventually need a cornea transplant, asthma, the bone stuff etc.
That is great news. Funny that mine was just 0.3 and he took away 175mcg one day to get the number up a bit. lol He was afraid i would end up hypo soon if he didn't. I do hope you get yours to settle where it is.

Glad to hear about your husband being able to be hoem safe with you and your children.

I don't know how you handle having to worry about your son like you do. No human especially our children should have to know all those things are inevitable. I do hope they fix more of the health care issues before you have to worry about his insurance.

Ang
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #2807
Nora03
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 138

Hi All,
Haven't been on here for awhile as I decided I was just going to hide my head in the sand for awhile and not think about my thryoid. Please wish me luck tomorrow. I'm going for another ultrasound and fine needle biopsy.

Nora
Nora03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #2808
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,677

Good luck to you Nora. May your untrasound and FN biopsy come out with the best results.

I got my first $5000 thyrogen shot today and the second $5000 thyrogen shot tomorrow. So far I feel no side effects. No head ache or nausea. I figured I would be nausiated since I was assured with the RAI both scan an therapy dose would not make me nausiated and I was so nauseated I was sure there would be toxic waste in my garbage can.

Ang
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #2809
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora03 View Post
Hi All, Haven't been on here for awhile as I decided I was just going to hide my head in the sand for awhile and not think about my thryoid. Please wish me luck tomorrow. I'm going for another ultrasound and fine needle biopsy. Nora
By this time tomorrow it will be done! :-). Good luck!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale and 1/2014 Dolphin
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #2810
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,780

Nora - hoping the fna went well for you. Now I know the hardest part is waiting for the results

ang - how was your second thyrogen shot today? That is great that you didnt get the nausea or head ache. How do you like this compared to going the hypo route?

Well I got ds2 sick with my germs. He is on an antibiotic too. I hurt my back. Dont know how. Its only one muscle in a certain part. I went to the er once for this but this pain is bearable , when I went it was not. am taking it easy for sure and resting.

Ds2 went to the ortho today and he said the bone is healing but still wants him to wear the boot.

Ds1 is coming home frm China tomm. I guess I will get an update on dh from him since they have blocked their calls out as usual and I havent heard from him at all except one text.

Thinking of you all. Check in when you can.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #2811
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,472

Hi everyone! Just checking in. It's been one of those "doctor" weeks for me.

Last week I had my annual well woman exam and my GYN reminded me that I still have a cervical polyp and that he'd like to remove it now (he didn't care about it last year). So that was scheduled for April 9th and was supposed to be not a big deal.

I then had my annual mammogram this past Saturday. Always fun.

I noticed last week that I, without even trying, lost about 3 lbs. All of a sudden my pants were a bit looser. I figured it was time for a thyroid panel check as I had been on the Levoxyl for about 4 weeks. Sure enough, those results came back and my TSH went from 0.77 to 0.4 and my T4 went from 1.43 to 1.85. He asked me "how do you feel?" I told him I had lost weight without trying and I still have anxiety that seemed to have picked up. So, I've cut my dose by 1/2 tablet a week. We shall see.

The cervical polyp thing was not all that fun. Not horrific but definitely not fun. It was done in the office, fortunately, but was uncomfortable. It has a 99.9% chance of being perfectly normal but I still will be antsy about that pathology.

The mammogram was normal!

So I think I am done for awhile, but darn, medical visits really make me tense.
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #2812
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,677

Great news for me. My thyrogen marker and WBS were normal. The nuc med department said they saw very little thyroid tissue but they said that after surgery too. So six more months and then another round of thyrogen (if insurance will cover it twice in a year) and then another WBS and ultrasound. Deductible will be met by then so no biggie.

Does anyone elses endocrinologist want an appointment with them every 3 months? I am going to talk with him because I come in and he says nothing except to go get labs, or whatever scan and then charges me $165, not to mention the 45 minute drive for something his nurse can call and tell me to get done. lol

I was also reading that the bigger hospitals like Sloan Kettering are doing away with thyrogen and WBS after surgery. They are relying on the tumor marker and ultrasound results and if those are good skipping the WBS. I want to talk to my doctor about that too. It just seems to make more sense. Why subject yourself to thyrogen and low dose radiation and scan if not necessary.

Christine, Glad you got the lady tests done and over with. The cervical polyp doesn't sound like an easy thing at all. I had one years ago but thankfully it dissapeared.

Like you I had been losing weight over the last few months and loving it but when I got my labs and saw the doctor he decreased my dose for one day to get my numbers up a little bit. The weight loss stopped too. Bummer.

LMP, Your going to think I am nuts but for some odd reason my second day on thyrogen I felt better than I have since I was in my 20's before all the thyroid stuff. I had energy and felt good. No side effects at all from the thyrogen.

Sorry to hear your DS2 is sick but glad his leg is healing, that is great news. I hope your back is feeling better now. How was DS1 homecoming?

Nora, Any word on the FNA biopsy? How did it go? When I was getting my scan I saw a woman coming out from her FNA biopsy on her thyroid and thought of you.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #2813
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post

Does anyone elses endocrinologist want an appointment with them every 3 months? I am going to talk with him because I come in and he says nothing except to go get labs, or whatever scan and then charges me $165, not to mention the 45 minute drive for something his nurse can call and tell me to get done. lol
During the early days after my diagnosis, I too was going every 3 months. They ran labs and doctor was very specific in wanting to know how I felt, plus he was doing manual neck exams.

When things stabilized, I dropped to three times a year. Finally I was going every 6 months and if I ever felt "off" I could call in for a lab order.

My doctor then retired and I started with a new guy. He is much more hands off (and by the time I got with him, I had hit my 15 year anniversary). We started off with 2 times a year. Then, since I was feeling SO good, he only had me come in once a year. That was nice, but odd. Since this last year has been so bad for me with the change in meds and all the stuff in my life, I have seen him 3 times in the last year and have had several lab draws. I seem to be back on my 6 month schedule.

For me, I no longer do Thyrogen because of side effects so it's just Tg labs and ultrasound.
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #2814
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,068

Early on in my diagnosis I also was every 3 months, then 6 months, then annually. When I changed practices, my new endo wanted to see me 6 months, just to get to know me better. Lol. Now we are yearly, but she has me going for ultrasound of the thyroid bed every other year. Getting ready for my yearly doctor parade. Lol. Internist in two weeks, gyno in two months, cardiologist and endo after that. In the mean time, I have to have a dental implant. Trying to decide when I want to fit that in with summer vacation etc.

DD is in the middle of her PT. Apparently early years of walking on her toes caused certain muscles to put extra pressure on her knee caps. Figure skating and equestrian riding/jumping and the workouts involved exasperated this. The mega walking she did in London put her over the edge pain wise. Therapist feels she can "teach" the other muscles in her legs to do their proper job. She's off to the junior/senior ball tonight. She'll be starting her senior year of college in Sept. Where do the years go???? "SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale and 1/2014 Dolphin
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #2815
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
During the early days after my diagnosis, I too was going every 3 months. They ran labs and doctor was very specific in wanting to know how I felt, plus he was doing manual neck exams.

When things stabilized, I dropped to three times a year. Finally I was going every 6 months and if I ever felt "off" I could call in for a lab order.

My doctor then retired and I started with a new guy. He is much more hands off (and by the time I got with him, I had hit my 15 year anniversary). We started off with 2 times a year. Then, since I was feeling SO good, he only had me come in once a year. That was nice, but odd. Since this last year has been so bad for me with the change in meds and all the stuff in my life, I have seen him 3 times in the last year and have had several lab draws. I seem to be back on my 6 month schedule.

For me, I no longer do Thyrogen because of side effects so it's just Tg labs and ultrasound.
My endo has never felt my neck nor does he ever ask how I am feeling. lol When I tell him how I am feeling he tells me to see my GP about it. Seriously, I told him I have had abdominal issues since the radiation therapy and joint pain and cramping since surgery and he told me it is not thyroid related to go see my GP. I told him I was losing my hair really bad and he did a ferritin test and said there was nothing I could do about it. If I say nothing he simply comes in and tells me to go get labs or whatever and that is it. lol If there were another endo less than 2 hours away I would switch. Want to switch endos? lol
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #2816
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
My endo has never felt my neck nor does he ever ask how I am feeling. lol When I tell him how I am feeling he tells me to see my GP about it. Seriously, I told him I have had abdominal issues since the radiation therapy and joint pain and cramping since surgery and he told me it is not thyroid related to go see my GP. I told him I was losing my hair really bad and he did a ferritin test and said there was nothing I could do about it. If I say nothing he simply comes in and tells me to go get labs or whatever and that is it. lol If there were another endo less than 2 hours away I would switch. Want to switch endos? lol
That sounds pretty awful. Do you have a good primary care doctor that would manage your thyroid issues?
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #2817
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
That sounds pretty awful. Do you have a good primary care doctor that would manage your thyroid issues?
Since the only reason I have to go to a primary care doctor is for my thyroid I have not been able to find a good one for several years. They either move on or are not great. There is a female doctor that is in our area one afternoon every two weeks I saw one time to get orders for the FNA biopsy and I really liked her. The doctor I had been seeing told me I had cancer before biopsy and then wanted me to supress and do a WBS before the biopsy that would have wasted months so I found the new doctor. I think I might try going back to her after my year check up. She was awsome. I just don't like the limited hours in our area. We will see how it goes. Maybe I can set up a physical with her and talk to her then.

Great idea, thanks.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #2818
TwizzleMouse
Cream Cheese Pretzel Aficionado
 
TwizzleMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39

Help!

Hi. I was diagnosed with hypo back in Sept 2013. I had gained 80 lbs in a matter of months and felt sluggish and all of your typical symptoms. I was originally put on generic synthroid. I was allergic to it. So Endo put me on brand name. I have been taking that for 5 months and have noticed major breakouts/rash on my face and neck so bad that it drives me crazy. I just want to claw at my face. Nothing takes it away. The only thing it could be is the Synthroid. On top of it, I don't feel like it's helping me (I take 50mcg). I called and complained (I swear they thinks i'm nuts), and they are putting me on 50mcg of Tirosint.
I was reading online that they should be starting me out at 25mcg bc it's so natural and a gelcap and it absorbs better and if you take 50mcg to start it caused hyperactive effects as well as hair falling out and heart palps, and insomnia among other scary things.

Have any of you taken this and can help me? Please?
__________________
DBF
ME

TwizzleMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #2819
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwizzleMouse View Post
Hi. I was diagnosed with hypo back in Sept 2013. I had gained 80 lbs in a matter of months and felt sluggish and all of your typical symptoms. I was originally put on generic synthroid. I was allergic to it. So Endo put me on brand name. I have been taking that for 5 months and have noticed major breakouts/rash on my face and neck so bad that it drives me crazy. I just want to claw at my face. Nothing takes it away. The only thing it could be is the Synthroid. On top of it, I don't feel like it's helping me (I take 50mcg). I called and complained (I swear they thinks i'm nuts), and they are putting me on 50mcg of Tirosint.
I was reading online that they should be starting me out at 25mcg bc it's so natural and a gelcap and it absorbs better and if you take 50mcg to start it caused hyperactive effects as well as hair falling out and heart palps, and insomnia among other scary things.

Have any of you taken this and can help me? Please?
The first thing I would have you do is call the doctor's office and ask them for a copy of the lab results for your thyroid panel. If that's a hassle for some reason, just have them read you off the values for TSH and Free T4. I'd really like to know how hypothyroid you are before I could really comment on the dosage.

Having said that, I don't have a thyroid so when I don't have meds I get very, very hypo. For people with slow acting thyroids, 25 mcg is the usual starting dose and they work their way up. If you are very hypo, though, 50 mcg is not actually that bad.

Tirosint has none of the usual fillers and it absorbs well in most people. I took it for a few months last summer and did not do well on it as it kind of gave me bowel issues. I think the dose was to much for me or it was getting into my system too fast. So I had to stop. I didn't feel like cutting back my dose and experimenting.

You are most likely have a reaction to one of the dyes or fillers in the regular thyroid preparations. You should compare Synthroid and the generic brand you were taking (you can get all that info online) and see if you can pin it down to a specific filler. It's really important to know.

There are many people out there doing very well on Tirosint so that would be great if it works. Also know that as your body gets used to synthetic thyroid hormone, you may feel worse before you feel better. There is an adjustment period. If you don't get a rash or anything with Tirosint, try to give it 6 weeks, even if you don't feel great.
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: