Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #16
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I have no idea why anyone would do what OP wants to do. Actually this type of action tends to result in more lost luggage

Airlines have pretty good tracking if you check at the counters. So they know that 50 bags are checked and they expect 50 bags at the plane. But when you gate check the baggage system doesn't know to expect the bag. I have seen gate agents dealing with a lot of "left luggage"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
shortnsweet435
March 2013 - Anniversary Vacation #2!

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the advice! I love how there are so many different experiences with airlines/ME/bell services/etc.

To answer some of the "OP" questions:

@Debbie B: Our duffel bags are the small athletic type ones, they do fit under seats and are basically the size of a large purse, but duffel shaped.

@Lewisc: Yes, our #1 priority is to save money, whether that loses convenience or not.

@Janadee: In all of our experiences, complimentary gate checked bags were returned when exiting the plane. In the one "overcrowding" experience, we had to pick it up at the carousel.

@Distherapy: That is the exact experience we've had I described above.

@Goofy4tink: We really don't mind having the bags with us. I have just been searching for a way to use our yellow tags somehow. Whether that means we take our bags with us or not, it would mean a lot to have them delivered to our room. Dropping them at bell services would not be a problem, but if they could go airport>room without us, that would be optimal. We do have ample morning time, it will just be exhausting getting back from the parks at night and going to Bell Services and carrying them to our rooms. As for activating our bands... I'm not sure. We already checked in online and chose our pins so I will have to report back about whether we need to or not.

All:
Basically, we don't really care about gate checking, it was just a possible thought I had to get around to using our yellow tags on carry-ons. Like I said, it's not really about saving convenience in the morning as much as it is in the evening. If there is any way to get them into the luggage transport after deplaning in MCO, that would be just as good. Or if our resort bell services (POP) can deliver them to our room after we arrive, still good! It's just we've used Bell Services at the Disneyland resorts and we still had to carry them to our rooms.

Thanks for any more help you can give!

March 2011Just a Minnie and Mickey for now.
shortnsweet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's just we've used Bell Services at the Disneyland resorts and we still had to carry them to our rooms.
Whoa, really? Something went wrong there.

Pop has something slightly different from "bell" services, maybe "luggage" services? They do have carts. I was silly and didn't ask for help, and didn't see that they had carts until the next morning. Should have asked for help. So definitely ask for help! When you get of the on-site transportation from the parks that evening, stop in either with the luggage people if you see them or at the front desk, and tell them that you would like help and to get your bags to your room. With their help. And carts.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Whoa, really? Something went wrong there.

Pop has something slightly different from "bell" services, maybe "luggage" services? They do have carts. I was silly and didn't ask for help, and didn't see that they had carts until the next morning. Should have asked for help. So definitely ask for help! When you get of the on-site transportation from the parks that evening, stop in either with the luggage people if you see them or at the front desk, and tell them that you would like help and to get your bags to your room. With their help. And carts.
Why would they need help with two bags that are small duffel bags and a carry on size suitcase?

Seriously, OP, you are making it soooo much more difficult than it is, really.

Take the bags as carry-on on the plane. Take them on the DME with you and take them to Bell Services when you arrive.

When you get back from the parks, either stop at Bell Services and pick up the bags or go directly to your room and call for your bags.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #20
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Luggage Assistance at Pop will bring the bags to your room..it won't be quick, but they'll get them there. My issue is that they tend to shut down around 11pm.

As far as not having to check-in before heading to a park? Nope. I've checked in, online, before...had my MB in hand. Had to go to check-in and get 'checked in'.

Seriously..if you want DME to take care of your bags, pay to check them when you get on the plane. Do NOT count on being able to gate check them on the second leg. You will still be charged!!! Might as well just do it up front. Then, you can get to Pop, check-in, eat breakfast and head to a park, and your bags will be waiting in your room when you return that night.
It's never a good idea to try to 'work the system'. That system is set up to work a certain way. Trying to gate check your bags, and hope that if you tag them DME will get them, is something most of us wouldn't try. I would try to combine all your stuff into one larger bag, and just check it, vs trying to gate check two smaller carry-on bags. You will still have the smallish duffles...will you be taking them to the park with you?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #21
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

As a frequent flyer I think the airlines have really screwed up. This is one place where they should take a page from Sprint's book.

If you have to check your bag at the gate because the bins are full then no charge.

If you have to check your bag at the gate because it's oversize, you can't deal with it, or you just want to then they need to charge twice the normal fee.

Would cut down on the 'let's just haul too much out to the gate and give to them for free' trend.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #22
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

POP has luggage delivery, not bell services. OP wants the bags at night after they get back from the parks. Not sure when they'll be getting back to POP. It could be after delivery has stopped for the night.

Staying at POP. You might have a room available when you check in. You may be "over thinking" this.

DME picks up stray bags from the carousels and from the airline unclaimed luggage offices. Hyatt bell services can transfer bags to DME. Call. I suspect there is a place where you can drop of bags. Might make sense if you're staying at a DVC property with almost no chance of an early room.

Orange Commuter--I understand your point but it doesn't really apply to the OP. They are taking their luggage on their first flight. They want to gate check the bag before boarding their connecting flight.

People need to gate check an over sized bag. At least some of the blame belongs with the luggage mfg. They list dimensions which are "packing dimensions". They skip the wheels. They claim a bag is airline approved for carry on. They use words like official. Take a tape measure to the luggage department of most stores. I'll bet a significant number of bags which claim to be carryon size aren't.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Lewis, what time does the pop service stop? I do want to know for myself since I'll be having a do-over there since I got so sick while there and barely remember it. If they've stopped for the night I wonder if someone can still get a guest a cart?

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #24
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Lewis, what time does the pop service stop? I do want to know for myself since I'll be having a do-over there since I got so sick while there and barely remember it. If they've stopped for the night I wonder if someone can still get a guest a cart?
I'm pretty sure it's midnight.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #25
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
POP has luggage delivery, not bell services. OP wants the bags at night after they get back from the parks. Not sure when they'll be getting back to POP. It could be after delivery has stopped for the night. Staying at POP. You might have a room available when you check in. You may be "over thinking" this. DME picks up stray bags from the carousels and from the airline unclaimed luggage offices. Hyatt bell services can transfer bags to DME. Call. I suspect there is a place where you can drop of bags. Might make sense if you're staying at a DVC property with almost no chance of an early room. Orange Commuter--I understand your point but it doesn't really apply to the OP. They are taking their luggage on their first flight. They want to gate check the bag before boarding their connecting flight. People need to gate check an over sized bag. At least some of the blame belongs with the luggage mfg. They list dimensions which are "packing dimensions". They skip the wheels. They claim a bag is airline approved for carry on. They use words like official. Take a tape measure to the luggage department of most stores. I'll bet a significant number of bags which claim to be carryon size aren't.

Sorry but just last week at the airport close to Disneyland a family arrived at the gate with 3 25" suitcases. They did not even pretend they thought they would fit. Rolled up and saiid " we need to check these". Very evident what they were doing.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #26
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

If having the bags taken care of, by DME, is important, then you need to check the bags at your departure airport. You really should t expect to be able to just gate check bags for the second leg. It would seem that a passenger would be trying to avoid bag check fees by trying to gate check. Much better to just check the bags to begin with. It would be nice if there was an option of checking your bags for the second leg, but if there was a charge for the first leg, there would be one for the second.
I really don't understand what the issue is.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #27
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Sorry but just last week at the airport close to Disneyland a family arrived at the gate with 3 25" suitcases. They did not even pretend they thought they would fit. Rolled up and saiid " we need to check these". Very evident what they were doing.
Sorry but I wasn't doubting or discounting your experience. My point is there is a good chance a casual flyer who purchases a "airline regulation carry on bag" is buying a bag which is larger then permitted. Maybe I'm not being cynical enough. I would have thought most of the passengers with oversized bags thought the bags were legal.

I'm confused. Why didn't the airline charge the passenger for 3 bags? Blame the airline (almost) as much as the passenger for having this loophole.

A (real) long shot. Is there anyway the passengers could have arrived at the airport on a regional jet, gotten their luggage just outside the plane and not gone through security at the airport?

FWIW Those bags might have been legal bin bags on Jet Blue. Maximum size is 26" X 18" X 12"
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #28
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post
Why would they need help with two bags that are small duffel bags and a carry on size suitcase?
Because they don't seem to want to deal with them. So...maybe they would WANT the help. I doubt we think they NEED it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: