Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #1936
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
You can't fault Sears for backing up the store manager. Their policy allows the managers to make decisions in this area and unfortunately for you, this manager does not allow it at her store.

This is what happens when you roll the dice on deals that are sort of in a gray area. Some people will win. Some will lose. At least you have a back up plan for those Sears GCs. I dislike Sears and won't shop at any of our area KMarts, so I would have been really stuck with the Sears GCs if I had purchased them. For that reason, I passed on this deal.

Glad for everyone who was able to make this deal work for them. Sorry for those of you who purchased Sears GCs in the hopes of using them to buy Disney GCs but could not. It stinks that the deal didn't work for you.
Well said. I agree - it is a risk, but you can't really fault Sears for following policy. We personally felt it was a risk worth taking since there are so many things we could have bought at Kmart with these cards. Also wanted to mention that folks can sell the Sears cards on sites such as Cardpool if you end up stuck with them (probably at a profit).

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #1937
Eighty8Keys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
You can't fault Sears for backing up the store manager. Their policy allows the managers to make decisions in this area and unfortunately for you, this manager does not allow it at her store.

This is what happens when you roll the dice on deals that are sort of in a gray area. Some people will win. Some will lose. At least you have a back up plan for those Sears GCs. I dislike Sears and won't shop at any of our area KMarts, so I would have been really stuck with the Sears GCs if I had purchased them. For that reason, I passed on this deal.

Glad for everyone who was able to make this deal work for them. Sorry for those of you who purchased Sears GCs in the hopes of using them to buy Disney GCs but could not. It stinks that the deal didn't work for you.
You make a good point and it definitely puts things in perspective. It was a gamble to start with and I shouldn't complain if it doesn't pay off 100% of the time. I've been lucky to score some good deals on gift cards thanks to this thread. And really, I have $300 in gift cards for which I only paid $240, so I didn't really lose. Looking at it from the store manager's perspective, I would have been disappointed if my employer gave me the authority to make certain decisions and then didn't back me up. I appreciate everyone letting me vent.
Eighty8Keys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #1938
SUSIEQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty8Keys View Post

You make a good point and it definitely puts things in perspective. It was a gamble to start with and I shouldn't complain if it doesn't pay off 100% of the time. I've been lucky to score some good deals on gift cards thanks to this thread. And really, I have $300 in gift cards for which I only paid $240, so I didn't really lose. Looking at it from the store manager's perspective, I would have been disappointed if my employer gave me the authority to make certain decisions and then didn't back me up. I appreciate everyone letting me vent.
Just of of pure curiosity, did the manager say why she wouldn't allow you to buy the WDW gift cards with Sears gift cards?(Since it's her own personal policy.) Seems like it would have been good for her daily store sales figures if she had allowed you to do it, instead of just letting you walk out the door without buying anything.
ETA - I wouldn't hold it against Sears as a company, but I certainly wouldn't give that particular store any of my business.

Last edited by SUSIEQ; Yesterday at 11:41 AM.
SUSIEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #1939
Eighty8Keys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSIEQ View Post
Just of of pure curiosity, did the manager say why she wouldn't allow you to buy the WDW gift cards with Sears gift cards?(Since it's her own personal policy.) Seems like it would have been good for her daily store sales figures if she had allowed you to do it, instead of just letting you walk out the door without buying anything.
ETA - I wouldn't hold it against Sears as a company, but I certainly wouldn't give that particular store any of my business.
We asked her why. She said it was to prevent people from buying gift cards with a Sears gift card that might have been purchased with a stolen credit card, which makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

The weird thing is that when we called Sears corporate, we were told that there wasn't a policy against the practice, but I just now looked at the Sears website and at the very bottom of the Gift Card page in tiny print, it states "Gift Cards can not be used to purchase Gift Cards." I really wish I had noticed that before as it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #1940
SUSIEQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We asked her why. She said it was to prevent people from buying gift cards with a Sears gift card that might have been purchased with a stolen credit card, which makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

The weird thing is that when we called Sears corporate, we were told that there wasn't a policy against the practice, but I just now looked at the Sears website and at the very bottom of the Gift Card page in tiny print, it states "Gift Cards can not be used to purchase Gift Cards." I really wish I had noticed that before as it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.
Oh well, live & learn! I'm going to try to use mine to buy WDW gift cards. I'll probably try a little closer to Christmas, when the stores are busy. If it doesn't work, I'll spend some, sell some, or just lock them up in the safe for my heirs to find one day.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #1941
robinb
DIS Veteran

Isn't there more than one Sears store in Portland? I would just go to another store and purchase the gift cards away from where they are displayed.
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #1942
fairy8i8
Spread the Magic!

Anyone have any luck using a Sears gift card to buy Disney Gift Cards at a Kmart or Sears in Utah?

Also, can you just swipe them at the register, or do you have to give them to the cashier? I tried swiping mine, but it came up with the choose credit or debit. I chose debit and then entered the pin on the back of the gift card. It didn't work, and I had to give the card to the cashier. She said that she didn't think that you could buy a gift card with a gift card (but she didn't care because the store was closing so she let me do it, but I don't think she would have let me do a larger amount than the one I bought).
fairy8i8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #1943
disney*mom*82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison443 View Post
Did you use your sears credit card, or the sears gc purchased at a discount like others mentioned?

It seems that gift card purchases do not give you SYW points, according to the terms of service: http://www.shopyourway.com/sywr-terms-of-service.
That also states you cannot use points for purchasing gift cards.
I used my Sears credit card at a kmart to purchase the Disney gift cards. Im not worried really about the rewards, it just would be a nice bonus. Like I said earlier, we dont have a Sears or Kmart locally anymore and had credit cards to Sears we were going to toss as there was no balance on them. I realized we could purchase WDW giftcards to pay off our balance and get a zero interest deal for quite some time. I only need a few months, but this allows me plenty of time to pay off the balance before interest hits.

Mar 99-WLC; Dec/Jan-01/02-ASM;Mar 08,Mar 09, Sept 09, Mar 10, Dec 10, July 11 Mar 12 POR, July 12 OKW, March 14 WBC, Dec/Jan 2014/15 POR
disney*mom*82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #1944
Eighty8Keys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Isn't there more than one Sears store in Portland? I would just go to another store and purchase the gift cards away from where they are displayed.
We tried that yesterday, drove out to another Sears 30 miles from home, but they didn't have any Disney gift cards at all and we searched the entire store.

There's one other option, but it's not in the best of areas, so I'm not too inclined to make the 30 mile round trip drive. If I do, I'll definitely try your suggestion about going to a register away from the gift cards. I was thinking about maybe the home and garden area, or even the major appliance area since they seem very eager to provide customer service.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #1945
houstonmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We tried that yesterday, drove out to another Sears 30 miles from home, but they didn't have any Disney gift cards at all and we searched the entire store.

There's one other option, but it's not in the best of areas, so I'm not too inclined to make the 30 mile round trip drive. If I do, I'll definitely try your suggestion about going to a register away from the gift cards. I was thinking about maybe the home and garden area, or even the major appliance area since they seem very eager to provide customer service.
I didn't get in on this deal but I have used Sears GCs to buy other cards at Sears. I've never seen Disney cards at the Sears here in Houston though . I'm guessing they had a ton of people doing this and thats why they started paying closer attention and shut it down. I would let things settle down and then try again. Also, I always go when it's busier and look for cashiers that look like they're in high school. I don't let them see the card, just swipe.

I know it's frustrating but next time if they say no just say thanks and leave, try again another time. Hopefully the next time it will work. Good luck!

houstonmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #1946
Eighty8Keys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonmama View Post
I didn't get in on this deal but I have used Sears GCs to buy other cards at Sears. I've never seen Disney cards at the Sears here in Houston though . I'm guessing they had a ton of people doing this and thats why they started paying closer attention and shut it down. I would let things settle down and then try again. Also, I always go when it's busier and look for cashiers that look like they're in high school. I don't let them see the card, just swipe.

I know it's frustrating but next time if they say no just say thanks and leave, try again another time. Hopefully the next time it will work. Good luck!
Thanks. That's good advice. The store was very empty so I may try another time. We have over a year until our trip so there's no rush.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #1947
poguesquadron
Earning My Ears

There's a deal for certain American Express cards to get an extra 2% back at Whole Foods until Feb 15. My Blue Cash preferred card is eligible so I'd get 8% cash back there. Does anyone know if WF sells Disney Gift Cards? I figured it's a long shot but you never know.
poguesquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #1948
ChrisNY2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The reason for this is if they use a stolen credit card to buy a gift card, once the fraud is discovered, they can reverse the transaction and cancel the gift card if it hasn't been used yet.

So criminals have figured out to quickly buy one gift card, and then shortly after use it to buy a different gift card. It can be hard to track it down that far and they are more likely to get away with usable cards.

So many stores now don't allow gift cards to be purchased with other gift cards.

Resorts so far (trying to stay at all of them!): GF, VGF, BLT, BC, BCV, BW, AKL, CB, CS, POFQ, AS Music, AS Sports, AoA, FW
ChrisNY2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: