Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Torontofamilyoffive
Earning My Ears

Blue Springs & Cocoa beach in one day?

Can anyone tell me whether it's reasonable or crazy to try to fit Blue Springs State Park and Cocoa beach in the same day? They kind of look like they're in the same direction.

Gina? Are you here? I think it was your recommendation that got me interested in Blue Springs!

Leaving soon, so let me know please.
Torontofamilyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

I'm here . But I am of zero help .

We did Cocoa Beach but not Blue Springs.....we were a bunch of lazy lubbards and enjoyed sleeping in (meaning a late start to each day).

If you have any Cocoa Beach questions, I might be able to help. But Blue Springs remains on my to-do list.

I think bankr63, another fellow Canuck, may have been there before though. Might be worth sending him a PM.

Have an awesome trip!!!!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Torontofamilyoffive
Earning My Ears

Thanks anyway!

OK, I'll wait and hope someone else knows! We have more time this trip and I still find that we can't quite do all we want. That's one of the reasons I'm hoping to put those two together. That plus, they're both a bit of a drive and my kids are not known for being able to go more than 10 minutes without driving us bonkers with "are we there yet?"!

Should I have questions about Cocoa beach? I thought it was just go, see the ocean, jump a few waves, hang out on the lovely sand for a bit and that's it. Unless you know of a great place to collect shells, but I've heard there isn't anywhere unless you go to the Gulf side, which is too far for our sanity.

We're definitely looking forward to it. All new stuff this time. Universal, SeaWorld and Legoland. And I think we might be able to pick oranges at World of Citrus. We're used to apple picking, so the kids might get a kick out of picking oranges.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Detailor
DIS Veteran

If the Gulf side is too far for your sanity, then you might not want to do both Blue Spring State Park and Cocoa Beach together on the same day. Both are neat places to visits. Blue Spring is about an hour north of the Disney area and it's close to an hour and a half drive between Cocoa Beach and Blue Spring.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontofamilyoffive View Post
Should I have questions about Cocoa beach? I thought it was just go, see the ocean, jump a few waves, hang out on the lovely sand for a bit and that's it. Unless you know of a great place to collect shells, but I've heard there isn't anywhere unless you go to the Gulf side, which is too far for our sanity.
Nah, I think you have it nailed . The only thing I'd add in is a stop at Ron Jon's. Its a fun store and we found the prices to be really quite reasonable.

We didn't find too many decent shells in the sand (we set up camp at Lori Wilson Park). Most were pretty small. Not sure if other locations along the beach offer better shell inventory or not.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Torontofamilyoffive
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Thanks Detailor. Why it looked almost on the way on the map is beyond me. Good thing I'm not the chief navigator. We definitely won't do both in one day. Glad to have that cleared up before we do something we'd regret!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
I'm here . But I am of zero help .

We did Cocoa Beach but not Blue Springs.....we were a bunch of lazy lubbards and enjoyed sleeping in (meaning a late start to each day).

If you have any Cocoa Beach questions, I might be able to help. But Blue Springs remains on my to-do list.

I think bankr63, another fellow Canuck, may have been there before though. Might be worth sending him a PM.

Have an awesome trip!!!!
And I'm the opposite of Gina - done Blue Springs but not Cocoa. For beaching we go to Sarasota every year (my snow bird in-laws over winter there).

Blue Springs is a great half-day attraction, but I agree with PP's, both would be a lot for a day...

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Blue Springs is a lovely park, we did the boat ride in December whilst there and really enjoyed it

I would think that Daytona was the nearest beach from there.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Orlando Vic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontofamilyoffive View Post
Can anyone tell me whether it's reasonable or crazy to try to fit Blue Springs State Park and Cocoa beach in the same day? They kind of look like they're in the same direction.
They are nowhere near each other and it is crazy and unreasonable to try to visit both in the same day. Most people go to Blue Spring State Park to see manatees and they aren't even "in" yet. The river water is still nice and warm. Winter is the peak manatee viewing time.