Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
Dukland
A.K.A Mrs. Incredible
 
Dukland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 606

We are also planning on going mid-week in September. We homeschool so we can go any time. I wanted to go in November but DH doesn't want to wait until then to have vacation.

When does Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion close for makeovers? Those 2 rides would be on our must do list and we don't want to miss them. I know my 10 year old, especially, is already talking about riding Space Mountain with me. I didn't realize it got a Halloween makeover. I thought it was just the Haunted Mansion.

I've always insisted on 5 days, when we went in the summer. DH says only 3 days this time. Can we do it all, multiple times, in just 3 days in September? We haven't been since the summer they opened the Toy Story ride in CA.

To the OP, we found Fastpass helped us a lot in avoiding crowds during the summer. The best strategy is to be at the park at opening, collect Fastpasses and ride rides, then take a break somewhere in the afternoon for lunch. That's when it's most crowded. Then when the parks are thinning out a little, go back and use the Fastpasses.

But like I said, I haven't been here in a few years. I don't know if that is still the best strategy.
__________________
Dukland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 AM   #17
sunflare
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukland
The best strategy is to be at the park at opening, collect Fastpasses and ride rides, then take a break somewhere in the afternoon for lunch. That's when it's most crowded. Then when the parks are thinning out a little, go back and use the Fastpasses.

But like I said, I haven't been here in a few years. I don't know if that is still the best strategy.
FYI, fastpass times are now being enforced, so that strategy will no longer work.
sunflare is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukland View Post
We are also planning on going mid-week in September. We homeschool so we can go any time. I wanted to go in November but DH doesn't want to wait until then to have vacation.

When does Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion close for makeovers? Those 2 rides would be on our must do list and we don't want to miss them. I know my 10 year old, especially, is already talking about riding Space Mountain with me. I didn't realize it got a Halloween makeover. I thought it was just the Haunted Mansion.
HM goes down in late August for 2 1/2 weeks to add its holiday overlay. It re-opens as HMH in mid-Sept on a Friday at the beginning of HalloweenTime. It remains as HMH until early-mid January. I greatly prefer the normal HM.

SM goes down for about four days the week preceding HalloweenTime (so roughly the second week of Sept.) to prepare for Ghost Galaxy. It stays as GG until right after Halloween (like Nov 1 or 2) at which point it goes down for a couple days to remove the overlay. It is back to its normal self around Nov 4. I like GG but not as much as the regular SM.

If you and your child like the normal Space Mtn as much I do then go after Nov 4 or before about Sept 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukland View Post

I've always insisted on 5 days, when we went in the summer. DH says only 3 days this time. Can we do it all, multiple times, in just 3 days in September? We haven't been since the summer they opened the Toy Story ride in CA.
Hard to say. A summer trip now really requires four days to "do it all" even though you will not really do it all. You can do most everything you want int hat time.

In Sept it is hard to say. If you go mid-week most of the entertainment will be reduced and many rides will be udder refurb. So three days may be enough just because you can't do as much with less being available. Three days will work better especially on week days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukland View Post

To the OP, we found Fastpass helped us a lot in avoiding crowds during the summer. The best strategy is to be at the park at opening, collect Fastpasses and ride rides, then take a break somewhere in the afternoon for lunch. That's when it's most crowded. Then when the parks are thinning out a little, go back and use the Fastpasses.

But like I said, I haven't been here in a few years. I don't know if that is still the best strategy.
It is not since they started enforcing FP windows in early 2013. Yes by all means get FPs. But they do not work as well when trying to plan afternoon breaks.

__________________
Upcoming:
DLR, July 2014 (DLH), August 2015 for the D23 Expo, WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
chrisgeronimo21
Earning My Ears
 
chrisgeronimo21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6

In 2012 we went September 12-16. Even though it's September, doesn't mean it won't be scorching hot. I think when we went it was mid 90s almost the entire time.

Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain were already converted into their respective Halloween counterparts (kind of a bummer because as much as I like the Nightmare Before Christmas, and Ghost Galaxy... I don't think that they compare to the original rides). Indiana Jones was also down for refurbishment.

As far as crowds go... There were still crowds, especially on that Saturday (9/15). We still had to stake out a spot a few hours before the Fantasmic! Show. But September crowds are easier to manage than summer crowds.

The longest standby wait time we had I believe was 50-60 and that was for the brand new Radiator Springs Racers. Fastpasses for that were gone by 10:00/11:00am. Ghost Galaxy had some pretty long lines. But everything else was fairly manageable.

Regardless. Despite the heat, September is an awesome time to visit DLR... Well. I guess for us Disney fanatics there never is not an awesome to go see Mickey. Haha.
chrisgeronimo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #20
WillowHaven
Earning My Ears
 
WillowHaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 58

To try and get a pincode, I would suggest ordering their free planning DVD. I did that and we have a Disney Visa and I got a pincode offer a while back. I figure it was because of one of those things.
__________________
Willow married to my best friend Mama to DS7 DS4
Day trips to Disneyland as a kid in 1982 and 1995. Planning our first family trip for February 2015
WillowHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #21
Disney0010
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 145

We are booked to arrive on Wednesday 9/03 for two nights so all day Wednesday and Thursday in the two parks with hoppers. I am hoping for low crowds too. My main concern will be the number of rides closed on these two days. I expect the Haunted Mansion will be closed due to the changeover for Halloween. We live in the south and have been to WDW more times that I can count but haven't been to DL in twenty years.
Disney0010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #22
disneyhopeful4
Earning My Ears
 
disneyhopeful4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 16

Thanks everyone for your replies!!! We are still tossing sept vs. jan/feb. I am happy to hear that low-ish crowds are still possible. I actually love the idea of warmer temps as last time we went I was cursing myself for not having a winter jacket! Just so weird to be chilly in Disneyland.
disneyhopeful4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #23
Dukland
A.K.A Mrs. Incredible
 
Dukland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflare View Post
FYI, fastpass times are now being enforced, so that strategy will no longer work.
Well that's a real bummer!

Thanks for the heads up
__________________
Dukland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #24
pinksand
Mouseketeer
 
pinksand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgeronimo21 View Post
In 2012 we went September 12-16. Even though it's September, doesn't mean it won't be scorching hot. I think when we went it was mid 90s almost the entire time.
YES. September lately has been sweltering, blistering hot - that's the only thing to be aware of. You may get lucky and have a temperate day, but it's just as likely that the temps will be in the 90s or higher.
__________________
Disneyland passholder & go as often as I can! · DL Paris March 2002 · WDW Dec. 2007 & Jan. 2013 · Tokyo DL & Sea April 2009
To Do: DCL to Alaska 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland, you're next; Shanghai Disney, see you in 2016!
GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

pinksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #25
DLfan4
Cant wait for another trip to DLR
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 236

We went Jan 15-22 2012. We were in the parks mid week and had low crowds. most rides were walk on or under 10 minutes. Except for a few that always have lines. Weather was nice, and it was nice to get away from Snow!

I see your also from Canada. We ordered a Southern California citypass from Costco.ca
it gives you 3-day park-hoppers, universal and seaworld at a savings.
DLfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.