DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #46
crisi
DIS Veteran

I agree - if you buy SSR and are flexible in what you want and when you travel - you may never stay at SSR. And SSR is a great value in comparison to buying BCV with its more limited contract life and higher cost.

The issue is more that when you have decided that you WILL stay at BLT for the next trip and the next trip has to happen during a specific week - that may not happen.

Buy where you won't be disappointed to end up. Buy assuming that at seven months "something" will be open (or will open up) at WDW (very rarely, this has not been true and everything is booked at seven months - but then usually there is some movement) - but it might not be your ideal resort. Don't buy with the assumption that the same is true at Aulani or California (VB or HHI in the summer months) - because those locations have a single resort, you need a non-DVC backup plan for a trip to Hawaii or Disneyland.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #47
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Buy where you won't be disappointed to end up.
This seems like one of the few pieces of truly universal good advice. It is very possible depending on your travel habits that you will always get whatever resort you want at 7 months. Yet it seems like a poor decision to buy at a place that you would truly be disappointed to end up, because even one preventable ruined vacation probably isn't worth the up-front savings, I suspect.

For me, there is no resort I know of that it would ruin my vacation if I had to stay there. This is not true for some people, and for them, it really doesn't make sense to make that place their home resort.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #48
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Buying at your favorite resort guarantees you a reservation there at 11 months. Buying at SSR because it's less expensive does not guarantee you a reservation at another resort that may be your favorite.

Each buyer needs to decide what's important to them. Some don't mind taking the 7 month chance and they may have good luck.

We had bad luck and decided to buy where we love to stay. I got tired of having to set my alarm to book right at the opening bell, I don't like the hassle of walking a reservation and we haven't had much luck with waitlists and I got tired of checking availability each day hoping that I could catch missing days for our reservation. Having split stays due to availability can be a pain.

Worst of all we were spending thousands of dollars buying our ownerships and spending thousands of dollars going on Disney vacations and sometimes not getting to stay where we wanted, that didn't make sense to us.

Different strokes for different folks.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #49
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by CailinFig View Post
Ok, thank you...I was thinking of buying at Saratoga Springs for the purposes of using it at other resorts (VGC, Aulani)....but I guess that is silly after reading several posts.
FWIW, we've owned SSR as our only DVC property since May 2004. We've been very content using our points across the set DVC locations including Aulani, Grand Cal (3x this calendar year), Vero Beach, Animal Kingdom Club-level, Old Key West, Boardwalk Villas (both Boardwalk and Std views), Wilderness Lodge and Grand Floridian (next January). Oh, yeah -- we also stayed once at Saratoga's Treehouse Villas. Fun.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: