Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #211
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I'm pretty upset with myself .... that dole whip float is my favourite as well. I didn't end up getting any; either at DLR nor at WDW.
Well, that just gives you something to plan for in your next trip. Right?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Did anyone ever tell you you had a screw loose?

Mmmmm, Dole Whips!

Jill in CO
Yes, both before and after the foot injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnemimi View Post
Great pictures. Some of the best of Pickle. She is sooooo cute. Here at WDW and wishing you all were here with us. How's the foot pain going? Get well fast.
Hugs, Mimi
The foot pain is negligible when I'm sitting still. Hurts a little if I walk or bump it, but not bad at all compared to when the screws first went in!!!

If you liked those photos of Pickle, stay tuned, because I have a couple of her with Pluto that are beyond cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Nice to hear that you are doing well.

Very nice update at DL. It is always nice to see a picture of the Dole Whip Float. That reminds me that I will have to get one during my upcoming trip.
Thanks! Yeah, Dole Whips and Mochi. Almost worth making a trip to SoCal for those two items alone I wonder if anyone has ever tried making a pineapple mochi? I bet that would be really tasty!
Trip Reports: PTR: Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho. It's off to the Grand Floridian We Go! (6/2014) | Back to the Drawing Board - Missouri to Disneyland (10/2013) | A visit to Walt's Happy Place - Marceline, MO (9/2012)

1981 Off Property, 1988 CBR, 1998 CBR (Honeymoon!!!), 2002 POFQ, 2003 Poly, 2005 WL, 2006 POP, 2007 WL, 2009 ASMo, 2009 POFQ, 2010 WL, 2010 DCL Wonder, 2010 DLR HOJO, 2010 PORS, 2011 off property, 2011 Bonnet Creek (DISApalooza 2011), 2012 DCL Dream, 2013 Disneyland Hotel, 2014 Grand Floridian

MarbleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #212
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

Day 7 - Friday, October 18 - Continued....

After we explored the Princess Fantasy Faire, we decided to head over to the Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo area.

We stopped at Frontierland along the way. The skeletons over by Rancho Del Zocalo are awesome!!!

We didn't really tell the kids that they had a petting area at DL, so they were excited (especially Pickle) to see the animals when we arrived at Big Thunder Ranch.

But it didn't take Buddy and Ninja too long to decide that they'd had enough. They went to sit by the stroller and scooter while we explored a little bit longer. After visiting with the animals, we headed over the the tent area in back.

They were carving pumpkins and had a bunch of other activities set up. I love the Heimlich caterpillar that she was making!

A couple other cool carvings...

We spotted Chip n Dale. I can never tell which is which, but I think one of them has a red nose and the other doesn't. I think Dale has the red nose, so this must be Chip?

They had the stage set up for Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, but they weren't performing any time soon, so we just moved on.

We explored around a little while longer and noticed that they had a ring toss. Pickle wanted to get it a try. And guess who joined in to help her?

So cool!

Pluto played with her for several minutes and tried to impress her with fancy shots. LOL

I have the experience on video, it was one of my favorite memories of the whole vacation

We met back up with Ninja and Buddy and decided that it was snack time!!! We headed over to Jolly Holiday Bakery for some treats!

I love sugar cookies, so I went with the cute Mickey pumpkin

Buddy and Pickle went with the green versions. I don't really get what the green was supposed to mean. Maybe they just had an extra green sugar sprinkles and decided to use them up here?

They didn't really like theirs. Picky eaters, I guess. Oh well, they made good snacks for me later Yum!

Ninja went for the flourless chocolate cake. Incredible!!! She was in heaven.

Stephanie went for the Lemon Strawberry cupcake, which she enjoyed too!

After a few minutes, the afternoon parade started. Cool, we can watch the parade while we eat and relax for a little while!

We decided to head over to the Matterhorn and ride it one last time.

The line was going to be about 45 minutes, so I volunteered to take everyone's tickets and cruise over to CA for Soarin' fast passes. Seemed like a great idea, except for it was very crowded down Main Street, with a line to exit, and there was a line to get into California Adventure. And then a LONG line to get back into Disneyland. As I was making my way through Main Street, Steph called and said that they were getting to point where I wouldn't be able to squeeze back into the line with them. Luckily, I drove up to the front entrance area and I could see them. I asked the cast member at the entrance if I could squeeze in with them (I only had to butt in front of a few people.) They were were fine with it, so hurray, Iwas able to get fast passes and also ride the Matterhorn. Mission accomplished!

Getting off the ride, we decided that Disneyland was getting too crowded (as the Halloween Party guests were now entering the park), so we decided to make out way out of Disneyland and hop over to California Adventure. Getting one last look at the Nemo Submarines as he headed out.

We still had some time before Soarin' fast passes were ready, so we decided to shop at Elias & Co. for a while. Ninja was able to get her hats. Too cool!

It was then about 5:15pm and we headed over to ride Soarin' one last time. Always a crowd pleaser!!

Continued....
Trip Reports: PTR: Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho. It's off to the Grand Floridian We Go! (6/2014) | Back to the Drawing Board - Missouri to Disneyland (10/2013) | A visit to Walt's Happy Place - Marceline, MO (9/2012)

1981 Off Property, 1988 CBR, 1998 CBR (Honeymoon!!!), 2002 POFQ, 2003 Poly, 2005 WL, 2006 POP, 2007 WL, 2009 ASMo, 2009 POFQ, 2010 WL, 2010 DCL Wonder, 2010 DLR HOJO, 2010 PORS, 2011 off property, 2011 Bonnet Creek (DISApalooza 2011), 2012 DCL Dream, 2013 Disneyland Hotel, 2014 Grand Floridian

Last edited by MarbleBob; 11-19-2013 at 05:42 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #213
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Love the skeletons! How cool.....the petting zoo and the pumpkin carving area are so fun when the characters come out to meet and greet.

The Lemon Strawberry cupcake looks amazing!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #214
Briarrose1306
Mouseketeer

Loving your trip report! I had to comment on this picture though as I was there the same time you were as were my coworker and her family. In fact, the two boys behind your kids in this photo are her sons! Crazy how small the world really is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleBob View Post

Disneyland - BW Anaheim June/July 2013 First Solo Trip
Disneyland - DLH April/May 2013 Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's Christmas 2012 Family Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's October 2012 Little Brother's Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's July 2012 First Disney Trip with Boyfriend
Disneyland - BW Stovall's & Anaheim Valentine's 2012 Family Trip
Disneyland - BW Anaheim December 2011 Brother/Sister Trip
Disneyland - BWPPI May 2011 Father/Daughter Trip - The Beginning of the Annual Passport
14 Disneyland Trips between 1984-2010
Briarrose1306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #215
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarrose1306 View Post
Loving your trip report! I had to comment on this picture though as I was there the same time you were as were my coworker and her family. In fact, the two boys behind your kids in this photo are her sons! Crazy how small the world really is!
That's so awesome! I had noticed the boys in the photo and thought it was cool they they were on the same wavelength with Ninja and Buddy. Party on!!

"It's a small world" indeed

Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #216
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

Day 7 - Friday, October 18 - Continued.... and wrapped up.

We wanted to use or Radiator Springs Racers fast passes around 6:45pm, so we headed over to Carsland to explore, shop, and watch the neon lights come up.

While we were waiting for the neon lighting ceremony (or whatever you call it), I decided that I just "had" to have one of those Chicken Verde cones from the Cozy Cone stands (Smoked Chicken and Salsa Verde topped with Queso Fresco in a Bread Cone.) I didn't get a photo, but great call. It was REALLY good!!! I look forward to getting another one of those on our next visit!

The others decided that they wanted a snack too, so then we headed over to the cones for Popcorn and Stephanie got a "Red's Apple Freeze". It was basically a frozen apple juice with some foamy sweet stuff on top. It reminded me a bit of a Butterbeer from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. That would be a good thing if you hadn't made yourself sick drinking too many butterbeers in one evening a couple years ago while back. I can't stand the thought of drinking another one now, but Stephanie didn't have the "too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing" experience, so she really liked it

We enjoyed the ambiance and let it get a little darker before we headed over to Radiator Springs Racers

Such an awesome place!

So, around 6:50pm or so, we headed over to the ride. Unfortunately, they had issues and the fast pass return line was still going to be about 40 minutes. Yikes!!! We had the option to leave and come back later (they would honor the fast passes for the rest of the evening), but we decided to just wait. I feel bad for the people without fast passes, it was like a 2.5 hour wait...

We really enjoyed seeing the everything at night. It's a different experience, and totally worth it!

Turns out that we had to wait about 25 minutes in line, so it really wasn't that bad. That ride is just so cool! You owe it to yourself to ride it in both the morning and after dark!

After the ride, we decided to head back out through the back of Carsland, and we found another photopass photographer. Cool!

It was then about 7:30pm and it was getting VERY crowded. We all agreed that we'd had a great week in the parks, had a long day, and were getting tired, so we decided to head out to Downtown Disney for dinner and head back to the hotel for the night.

We decided to get a pizza from Napolini and bring it back to the room. After we ordered the pizza, it was about a 30 minute wait. No big deal, we waited outside and enjoyed the atmosphere. They called our name, and then we grabbed the pizza and made a dash back to the room.

I have to admit that I wasn't as impressed with the pizza as much as I hoped. It was certainly a good pizza, but I had heard such good things about them making these in the Neopolitan style with San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, oven fired, etc. I think maybe it wasn't cooked quite enough because the the underside of the crust wasn't as charred as it should have been. Oh well it was still a well above average pizza, I had just hoped that this was going to be the best pizza ever.

We stuffed ourselves and relaxed for a while and then everyone was in bed around 9:30pm. I guess the others were super tired, because I was the only one who went to the window to watch the Disneyland fireworks

Well, that's the end of our last full day. Stay tuned for our morning activities, the trip back to St. Louis, and a few wrap up comments

Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #217
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Such wonderful PP pictures at night with CL. That photographer did a great job.

Pizza looks great to me.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #218
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Great trip report! Approximately what time did you get your fast passes for RSF in order to get an evening return time? I could go back and read but I'm feeling pretty lazy here at work in my lunch break

We leave Friday evening for our trip. I'll be happy to leave the StL cold for the California warmth! If we had rented a car for our whole trip we thought it would have been fun to drive to Staples Center Monday night to see the Blues beat the Kings but alas, we are only renting for one day this Saturday to go to the beach.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #219
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Thank you MarbleBob for your TR. I was doing some searching into Disneyland reviews over Halloween and stumbled upon yours. You have taken great pics and captured your lovely family so well. It sounds like you have also spent Halloween at WDW and I am curious how you would compare the 2 experiences. We were in Florida during Sep/Oct this year and loved it. We are travelling to Disneyland next year over the same time period and are hoping it will live up to all the fun we had at WDW. It sounds from your TR that Disneyland was quite crowded during the Halloween party?

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #220
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the feedback!

We've been to the WDW Halloween party twice. The first time was in the rain, so it wasn't as fun as it could have been. The second time had great weather and it was a blast. From my perspective, the WDW/Disneyland parties were comparable, but there were some pros/cons at each place. The parade at WDW was REALLY good (and I'm not much of a parade person.) I thought that the Disneyland parade was lame in comparison. Disneyland was significantly more crowded than WDW. I think we ended up with about the same amount of candy each time. I think the Disneyland party had a better vibe to it. More people (especially adults) were dressed up and there seemed to be more energy all around. All in all, they were both lots of fun and I'd do either of them again if the opportunity was there!!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #221
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleBob View Post
Thanks for the feedback! We've been to the WDW Halloween party twice. The first time was in the rain, so it wasn't as fun as it could have been. The second time had great weather and it was a blast. From my perspective, the WDW/Disneyland parties were comparable, but there were some pros/cons at each place. The parade at WDW was REALLY good (and I'm not much of a parade person.) I thought that the Disneyland parade was lame in comparison. Disneyland was significantly more crowded than WDW. I think we ended up with about the same amount of candy each time. I think the Disneyland party had a better vibe to it. More people (especially adults) were dressed up and there seemed to be more energy all around. All in all, they were both lots of fun and I'd do either of them again if the opportunity was there!!!!
I'm pleased that you enjoyed both.

It's the crowds at Disneyland that have me the most worried. We rode BIg Thunder Mountain 3 times in a row at MNSSHP and every time was a walk-on. As was Splash Mountain. Plus, as well a quite a few rides, we managed to fit in all the Halloween things and, like you, loved the parade. I particularly loved the graveyard workers with their sparking shovels.

In saying this, I need to stop worrying and go with an open-mind.

Thanks again for your TR - it's delightful. You had about the same amount of days at DLR that we will, over a similar time of year. So it's lovely to get an idea of what can be achieved in that amount of time.

One more question if you don't mind, did you find the Sunday to be noticeably busier than the other days you visited?

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #222
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

Actually, I'd say yes, Sunday was the most crowded day of the week. We still managed to have a great time though. Crowds or not, they don't call it the Happiest Place on Earth for nothing!!!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #223
mumto2
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to say thanks again for this TR! We revealed the trip to the kids on Christmas morning and told them it was theirs to plan. Thanks to your TR, I was able to give them plenty of suggestions to start them off - especially the beach, Little Tokyo and other sites to visit outside DLR - DS8 loves the photos and description of the Griffith Observatory - I think we'll be there a while!
Last trips: Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008, Mommy and Me weekend at ASMo, Grand Gathering at the Cabins, both in 2010, POP surprise in 2011, 2012 Harry Potter and Cars in the same trip, Disneyland for a day solo 2013

Next trips: DLR with the kids and Thanksgiving on the Dream 2014

Trip Report: Guess What Kids? You get to plan your first trip to Disneyland!
mumto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #224
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto2 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks again for this TR! We revealed the trip to the kids on Christmas morning and told them it was theirs to plan. Thanks to your TR, I was able to give them plenty of suggestions to start them off - especially the beach, Little Tokyo and other sites to visit outside DLR - DS8 loves the photos and description of the Griffith Observatory - I think we'll be there a while!
That's awesome mumto2! I'm glad that you found the TR helpful. I'm sure you'll have as much fu as we did!!

This reminds me, I need to come back and write the final installment. Our last morning at Disneyland Hotel, our trip back home, and some final thoughts. Stay tuned

Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #225
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

Last Day

So, I never got around to wrapping up the trip report with our final day. It’s a stormy, lazy morning here in St. Louis, so I figured now would be as good of a time as any to come back and finish…

We left off with our final evening in Carsland, coming back to our room with a pizza, and everyone crashing hard from an amazing last day in the parks!

The next morning, it was time to get our bags packed and ready for the flight home. Our flight was scheduled to leave LAX around 2:30 and the shuttle was going to pick us up around noon, so we had a bit of a leisurely morning ahead of us. We all slept in until about 9am or so.

I had one last piece of business left to take care of in DTD. I wanted to bring back a candy apple for my mom from Marceline’s and get some salt water taffy for my dad. They opened up at 10am, so Buddy and I cruised over while the girls stayed in the room and packed.

We arrived a few minutes early, so we had no choice but to stare and drool through the windows until they opened the front door.

We picked up a Sorcery Mickey one for my mom and I decided to grab an extra for us to enjoy too.

Once most of our packing was finished, we headed down to Tangorao Terrace. The kids wanted to take advantage of their last chance to enjoy some Disney bacon….

We headed back up to our room to grab our luggage before heading out to drop off the scooter and wait for our return shuttle.

At that point, we still had about 30 minutes, so we went around and took some last pictures at DLH. We had to get a photo of Stephanie with her It’s a Small World bag in front of the gift shop sign.

They had these cool banners along the driveway where we waited for our shuttle.

And one last shot before heading to the airport

We had an uneventful, easy ride back to the airport. Very nice!

Goodbye California… “See ya real soon!”

We had a layover in Denver, which was actually really nice. It broke the long flight up, and made each leg of the journey “fly” by. We arrived in Denver right at sunset, and enjoyed the view but rushed to grab a bite for dinner. Worst McDonald’s we’ve ever been to is probably the one at the Denver airport. However, we eventually got our food and were good to go. Quick flight from Denver to STL.

We got home Saturday night and crashed. This was new for us because we usually come home from a trip on Sunday. It was really nice to have an extra day to unpack and do laundry. Also, we got together with family to celebrate my nephew’s birthday. It was fun to bring back gifts from DL and Ninja got to give the Oswald ears to her cousin/best friend.

A few days later it was time to cut open the apple. Our last bit of Disneyland magic!

It was yummy and we wished we had another one

So it's been about 6 months since our vacation. I spent a while this morning looking back through the photos on this trip report and enjoying the great memories. This truly was an amazing vacation and we hope someday we'll make it back out to Disneyland. In the meantime, we are less than two months away from our family reunion trip to the Grand Floridian in Walt Disney World. We've got some amazing things planned and I can't wait!!! (I hope to get a pre-trip report started for that trip soon, I'll post the link here when we get started.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: