Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #2386
girlswithbows
Earning My Ears

Wow things are so different on the CP now from when I did it in the early 90's. Biggest problem at Vista Way back then was not catching syphillis in the hot tub and being able to make it to work after a night hanging out at Lucy Blues or Church Street Station. I would have been haunt if my parents would have been so vocal in my CP experience.
girlswithbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #2387
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlswithbows
Wow things are so different on the CP now from when I did it in the early 90's. Biggest problem at Vista Way back then was not catching syphillis in the hot tub and being able to make it to work after a night hanging out at Lucy Blues or Church Street Station. I would have been haunt if my parents would have been so vocal in my CP experience.
My only involvement in my daughter's CP was when she got very ill a second time. I flew down to make sure she got quality medical care. The first time at Celebration hospital she was taken advantage of so to speak...the tests they ran (to potentially inflate the bill) were not the least bit consistent with her symptoms!
We went and got 2 opinions the next time to make sure she got healthy again!
I do agree that you need to give them some space and let them figure out things for themselves...but a good parent is there for support when the time is right!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #2388
girlswithbows
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
My only involvement in my daughter's CP was when she got very ill a second time. I flew down to make sure she got quality medical care. The first time at Celebration hospital she was taken advantage of so to speak...the tests they ran (to potentially inflate the bill) were not the least bit consistent with her symptoms!
We went and got 2 opinions the next time to make sure she got healthy again!
I do agree that you need to give them some space and let them figure out things for themselves...but a good parent is there for support when the time is right!
Oh I agree with you on that a 100 percent. I was really referring to all the different stories I have read about parents calling about roommate and job issues. When I was on CP we worked our own simple issues out. I would have never asked my mom to call because I had a roommate issue or problem at work. I also think the type of college of students on the CP from back then to now has totally changed. It was a huge deal to get selected and now it seems they let almost anyone in. I know a girl who was recently part of the program and this snow flake had issues with any roommate they gave her and the 3 different jobs she had during the 6 months. I couldn't believe the stories her dad would tell me or the many times he admitted to calling on her behalf.

Last edited by girlswithbows; 10-22-2014 at 06:49 PM.
girlswithbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #2389
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Woo hoo!! My DCP daughter called me last night and said she extended thru May! She's already graduated so this just keeps her from getting a "real job" just a little longer lol. I really wanted her to stay a bit longer though since she would have been done Jan 5 and even though we live in the South...I hate car travel in the winter. Always seems like ice happens whenever I plan that!
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #2390
DCPmom2014
Earning My Ears

Thanks to everyone's kind words about my daughter's release from the DCP. The housing manager actually feels horrible about how things went down and tried to bend over backyards to accommodate Katie and her grandparents as they had to get back into the apartment a few times in the past week.

The good news is she has landed a great opportunity with Universal Studios and is super excited about the potential there. She had to share her "termination story" but didn't seem to affect their interest in my super talented daughter!!! I coached her to keep her medical past private and just focus on her amazing future!!!

We are desperate to find her a psychiatrist in the Orlando area that she can start seeing given her desire to stay there. She had a great one in Ohio. Anyone have any suggestions? She does NOT want to get off track again.

Thanks! This board has been a terrific support system for me. She has not given up her dream of working once again for the mouse. She has been invited to try again in May but her love of all things Harry Potter may put that on the back burner for now!!!
DCPmom2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #2391
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if she'll be working full time for Universal, but lots of people work part time for both, so that could be an option!

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden Lana
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM   #2392
mickenme
Earning My Ears

Question about free passes.

I have a question about the 6 free passes that the college program kids have. Are the 6 passes one time use passes or are they multiple use passes. Some things I've read have me confused. Thanks,
95 - All Star Music 96 - Disney Institute
97 - Wilderness Lodge 97 - Shades of Green
98 - Port Orleans 98 - Disney Institute
07 - Pop Century 14 All Star Movies -
mickenme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM   #2393
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickenme View Post
I have a question about the 6 free passes that the college program kids have. Are the 6 passes one time use passes or are they multiple use passes. Some things I've read have me confused. Thanks,
They are 6 free "days" and each day the CM can take up to 3 guests with them. If you only take 1 person it counts as a whole day and you will only have 5 left. They are park hoppers so you can go between all 4 parks each day unlimited with out using another day off the pass.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #2394
mickenme
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
They are 6 free "days" and each day the CM can take up to 3 guests with them. If you only take 1 person it counts as a whole day and you will only have 5 left. They are park hoppers so you can go between all 4 parks each day unlimited with out using another day off the pass.
Thanks for clarifying!
95 - All Star Music 96 - Disney Institute
97 - Wilderness Lodge 97 - Shades of Green
98 - Port Orleans 98 - Disney Institute
07 - Pop Century 14 All Star Movies -
mickenme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #2395
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickenme View Post
Thanks for clarifying!
Oh also just for clarification the freebies have to enter the park at the same time when the first enter but after that they can come and go as they please and don't even need the CM. You just need yo make sure you give the CM back their entrance card after you are dome each day. If say the CM brings one person in at 7 am then 2 more people decide at 8 the CM pass would bot work because you can only use 1 freebie each day and can't stack them to bring in multiple groups (except stacking holiday ticket and main gates). So everyone needs to enter at the same time. Hope that makes sense.
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #2396
MichelleVW

Quote:
Oh also just for clarification the freebies have to enter the park at the same time when the first enter but after that they can come and go as they please and don't even need the CM. You just need yo make sure you give the CM back their entrance card after you are dome each day. If say the CM brings one person in at 7 am then 2 more people decide at 8 the CM pass would bot work because you can only use 1 freebie each day and can't stack them to bring in multiple groups (except stacking holiday ticket and main gates). So everyone needs to enter at the same time. Hope that makes sense.
That's why we just went ahead and got AP's for us.....that's just too complicated and trying to figure out when she's off. Plus we like to visit a lot lol.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #2397
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
That's why we just went ahead and got AP's for us.....that's just too complicated and trying to figure out when she's off. Plus we like to visit a lot lol.
I guess it isn't complicated for cast members. We get 6 free days with up to 3 guest each day with all guests having to enter at the same time.

Some people do get more than 3 but that is based on significant others and dependents not usually a CP issue.
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #2398
MichelleVW

Quote:
I guess it isn't complicated for cast members. We get 6 free days with up to 3 guest each day with all guests having to enter at the same time.

Some people do get more than 3 but that is based on significant others and dependents not usually a CP issue.
Maybe I shouldn't have used complicated....I understand how it works....it just wouldn't work for us. I don't want to have to have her ask off work every day we are there...and 6 days would never cut it.
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #2399
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have used complicated....I understand how it works....it just wouldn't work for us. I don't want to have to have her ask off work every day we are there...and 6 days would never cut it.
That makes sense. 6 worked for most of my program and then whoever was coming after that bought tickets. I sometimes didn't have the day off and would get my friends in and the would go back to my place to sleep until work while they played.
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #2400
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

The other thing you need to consider is that they will need to be available when you want to enter the park. My daughter worked at various resorts where her shift might begin as early as 6am. And she didn't get off until 2 or 3. Even with her own car, her lunch break was not long enough to get us into a park. She did it one day for her grandfather, aunt & uncle but they specifically picked a day she was off after she got her schedule.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: