DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidanifan08 View Post
Not so fast, my friend! The recent new agreement with RCI appears to disadvantage resale owners even further. See post #3 in this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3238742

This modification of the agreement between DVC and RCI does not disadvantage resale owners at all since the RCI options for those purchasers is the same as it has been for some time now.

In this case, the new DVC/RCI agreement offers a new benefit for direct purchase and those who purchased resale prior to the March, 2011 date. The DVC/RCI program is unchanged for resale purchases after March 21, 2011 who will still the limited options previously available to direct and resale buyers.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #17
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
This modification of the agreement between DVC and RCI does not disadvantage resale owners at all since the RCI options for those purchasers is the same as it has been for some time now. In this case, the new DVC/RCI agreement offers a new benefit for direct purchase and those who purchased resale prior to the March, 2011 date. The DVC/RCI program is unchanged for resale purchases after March 21, 2011 who will still the limited options previously available to direct and resale buyers.
I don't know. It looks like an attempt to further devalue resale points to me. I can certainly see a a potential buyer asking a DVC sales person about resale and the CM proceeding to list all of the disadvantages of resale. That list can now include a long list of highly desirable RCI locations that are not available to resale purchasers.

Again, I don't think it is a good reason to not buy a resale contract, but it may make a new purchaser think twice about resale.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't this be the first "new" option introduced since March 2011 that excludes resale owners who purchased after March 2011? It appears that there is not a plan to grandfather in the folks who bought after that. That makes you think that there is more to come that may exclude post-March 2011 resale purchasers.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, Jambo Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
chukdotcom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidanifan08 View Post
I don't know. It looks like an attempt to further devalue resale points to me. I can certainly see a a potential buyer asking a DVC sales person about resale and the CM proceeding to list all of the disadvantages of resale. That list can now include a long list of highly desirable RCI locations that are not available to resale purchasers.

Again, I don't think it is a good reason to not buy a resale contract, but it may make a new purchaser think twice about resale.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't this be the first "new" option introduced since March 2011 that excludes resale owners who purchased after March 2011? It appears that there is not a plan to grandfather in the folks who bought after that. That makes you think that there is more to come that may exclude post-March 2011 resale purchasers.
Good. I hope they devalue resale even more. All I want it for is for DVC properties. If not getting RCI perks drives the prices down, even better for me. I will add on more contracts.
chukdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #19
smc1107
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great info and discussion. Helpful.
Here's another question - what is considered a "good" Use Year generally? Is it generally a year that allows you to book 11 months out from the busy/holiday season? Does that apply even if you don't plan to use your points during that time (i.e. do you still want to have a "good" Use Year so that you can book competitive times and then trade or rent points easily)? Or is it completely "to each their own" when it comes to Use Year?
smc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
smc1107
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great info and discussion. Helpful.
Here's another question - what is considered a "good" Use Year generally? Is it generally a year that allows you to book 11 months out from the busy/holiday season? Does that apply even if you don't plan to use your points during that time (i.e. do you still want to have a "good" Use Year so that you can book competitive times and then trade or rent points easily)? Or is it completely "to each their own" when it comes to Use Year?

Also, it seems that most folks here don't regularly use the RCI or Concierge collection and are focused on the DVC resorts. Anyone with a different experience or is it just that bad of a value that it sounds good in theory to have the RCI options but doesn't work that way in reality?
smc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #21
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc1107 View Post
Thanks for all the great info and discussion.
Here's another question - what is considered a "good" Use Year generally? Is it generally a year that allows you to book 11 months out from the busy/holiday season?
UY has nothing at all to do with when you call to book.

i might have an oct UY and you might buy a feb UY...if we wanted to book our home resort for Dec 2015, January is still 11 months out for both of us.

booking is based on your home resort and only that.

Quote:
Or is it completely "to each their own" when it comes to Use Year?
it is completely personal. you ideally want to travel early in your UY and you never want to travel in the last few months of your UY. that is because your banking window closes 8 months after the start of your UY and that can be an issue if you need to cancel. a good UY can help you avoid losing pts in the event that you have to cancel a reservation.

i have an oct UY because i like traveling in nov/dec and hate traveling in the summer - july-aug-sept in orlando is too hot for me. but oct would be a bad UY for a family who traveled mainly in the summer.

but if you never have to cancel, then UY will never be a big factor.

Quote:
RCI?
i have another timeshare that i bought for $1 on ebay - annual dues work out to less than $350 per year. i use DVC for onsite stays but when i want to stay at a timeshare that is not onsite at wdw, that is the one that i use for a trade. buying DVC to trade out is crazy expensive - like buying a lexus but constantly trading it out for a kia. there are a handful of trades that have a decent value (hawaii mainly IMO) and if it suits your plans, trading is a nice option to have. but DVC is just too pricey to buy in with a plan to trade.

Last edited by chalee94; 02-22-2014 at 11:51 AM.
chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #22
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Or is it completely "to each their own" when it comes to Use Year?
Depends on the time of year you expect to vacation. There's a thread somewhere about UY, might help.

Quote:
Also, it seems that most folks here don't regularly use the RCI or Concierge collection and are focused on the DVC resorts.
What's left in the Concierge collection???? I looked into it a couple of years ago. The point cost of a regular room at Yacht Club would have been more than a night in a 1bd at BCV. I'd rather take the kitchen and in-room laundry than a regular hotel room! It only comes in handy when you've skipped Disney a year or 2 and have lots of expiring points that you don't want to bother renting out.

You can often find RCI rentals on various timeshare auction/rental sites. It's like the cruises, you'd probably get more money renting your DVC points out and paying cash for an RCI rental.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #23
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

DVC advertises all of the wonderful vacation destinations where your points can be used, but in reality IMO Disney doesn't want you to use them outside of DVC resorts. They add a restriction here, extra points required there and even a $95 booking fee to deter you even further.

Disney is in the business to make money, along with that we get some enjoyable vacations but they continue to push and push to increase profit, unfortunately this can have a negative affect on the Guest experience.

DVC is all about making direct sales and they will continue to come up with ways to push buyers away from resales.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #24
supersnoop
Mouseketeer

I spoke with a direct rep three days ago. He was still talking about how the limited RCI benefit gave access to the "good" properties. So, this just opens up opportunities to trade for less desirable resorts?
supersnoop is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: