Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2003, 03:25 AM   #1
mkingdon
Obsessed...and admits it!!

Unhappy The Williams tour of Florida restrooms - Day Sixteen - They think it's all over...

Cast

Me - Craig, only just 33. Rucksack carrier and stroller pusher.
Louise - Wife, 34, slowly becoming addicted to WDW.
Emily - Aged 8. Moody, full of attitude and daddy’s girl.
Rebecca - Aged 6. Comedian, Olympic eater and worrier.

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms, sponsored by VISA.

Day Sixteen – Friday 29th August – They think it’s all over….

Well, what can I say. Two years in the making, and fourteen short days fly by in the blink of an eye.

I have made no notes on today’s activity as I was sulking. So this is from memory.

We all got up at the normal time, and having done no packing at all yesterday, we (that means Louise) work really hard packing everything. I supervise the kids in the pool (from the sofa) and as we draw towards 10.30, I start to then make sure Louise is doing a decent job, generally get in the way, and sit on cases so we can shut them.

The kids are prised from the pool at the last possible moment and showered and dressed and we leave our “home” for the last time at around 10.40. I have a lump in my throat the size of an apple, and the post holiday depression hits early.

We drive up to the 192 to drop the keys off. This was simple and painless, and then as we were approaching lunchtime, and we hadn’t had any breakfast, we planned to stop for brunch on the 192 before driving up to Sanford.

Dennys was the diner of choice. It was busy. We luckily found a parking space where we could watch the car whilst we ate, as we were fully aware of the recent spate of dirty clothes thieves operating in the area.

The dining experience was slightly disappointing to be honest. Service was quite slow, and my fries were only just cooked. We didn’t even have time for one last dessert, and got back in the Jeep and set off for Sanford.

The I4 was fine, and despite the gloom in the car, particularly the driver’s seat, we had one last laugh on the way. As we were driving through the Central Orlando bit of the I4, an open top Volvo sped by us, cutting us up, and several others. The smooth operator in driver’s seat (no, not me, the chap in the Volvo) was on his phone, no doubt doing some mega bucks deal, or telling him Mum he’d be home soon.

Well, anyway, we turned a bend, and suddenly ahead the sky was pitch black. Out of nowhere, literally, a torrential storm started. We went from blazing sun to monsoon in about 20 seconds.

Well, the wise guy in the Volvo was in big trouble. His soft top was down, and he was already soaking. He cut across all the traffic (again) and came to an emergency stop under a bridge, and very hastily had to get his top back up.

It made us laugh anyway!!! Sick sense of humour, and if I was having a bad day why shouldn’t someone else. Noble I know!!

We get to the airport without anything else of note happening. The drop off at Dollar was very impressive. We simply drive in, the chap scans our bar code from inside the door, asks our mileage and we leave the car with the keys in. Very good.

We drag the cases into the check in area, and join a fairly short queue, but we are quite early.

For some unknown reason the woman from the family behind us starts talking to us. What is she doing…doesn’t she know we’re British. I leave Louise to do the small talk, as again this woman begins to tell us how to do Florida, as they have been TWICE now, so they know the score!!!!! Besides I just want to sulk by myself.

We get checked in within ten minutes, and then move through the x-ray bits. Louise beeps and undergoes a scan and shoe inspection. We move through to departures, and race to the Guest House, as the lounge looks like a cattle shed.

Having parted with around £45, we are wristbanded and in. We all make full use of our unlimited drinks and cookies, and then I just “go to look” at the PS 2 room. I emerge three hours later when our flight is called.

Louise had watched Minority Report and the kids had done something I’m sure, but I was involved in a crucial World Cup Quarter Final against Argentina so I don't know what . I think Emily played PS2 as well.

We pay a quick visit to the shop to buy sweets and books and then we board. We are all sat together this time, and we are soon off.

I do some reading, and after about half an hour I get the worst headache in the history of the world. I often suffer when flying with painful ears and/or headaches, and this was a monster.

The next few hours are just a blur of painkillers, pain and bits of sleep. Louise had to look after the kids by herself, and they don’t sleep either.

As we start to descend the pain kicks up a notch, and Emily starts to suffer too. Ah the joys of international travel.

Once on the ground we all recover fairly quickly. Through the intense passport check (not) and on to wait for our bags. They take an age but finally come.

We call the car park people and they send a bus for us. Very soon we are back in our car, and heading home. The kids fall asleep, and as we pass the Trafford Centre on the way back to Bolton, I realise it is all over, until next time.

We have a spent a fortune and we are exhausted. What sort of holiday is that?? It’s the best you can get. Simple as that.

Final Thoughts

After so much build up and so much planning the holiday could never have been as perfect as I had imagined it to be. There were things we did wrong, despite all the planning, and the night in the hospital was a bit of a downer. Louise is fine by the way.

We have already watched all the video about three times, and it’s funny how from each trip there are certain memories that get locked into your brain. This time ours include –

Whispering Canyon Café
Rain and Fantasmic
Splash Mountain over and over
Spectro
Brown Derby
R&RC
TOT
Walmart
ROE
Our Jeep
Ice Station Cool

So they are not all the BIG events, they are just things that will always be associated with our Orlando trip 2003. They will be added to all the others from our previous trips.

So are we going back. Absolutely, but I don’t know when. It looks like next year may be beyond our means, but then again, we couldn’t “afford” to go this year either, so you never know.

Thank you for listening to my over detailed drivel, it has really helped me to remember some fantastic times, and some not so fantastic. Now I’ve finished writing this report, the holiday really is over, and I have no escape from returning to reality full time!!

Lessons learnt – do it DIY next time. NEVER have a villa allocated on arrival. Have more rest days, now that we have been so many times that we don’t need to do all the rides/parks every time.

Until the next time, have a great day, and thank you for visiting the Walt Disney Resort in Florida.
:D
Cypress Pointe August 2004

Trip Report 2003 - The Williams Tour of Florida Restrooms Sponsored by VISA

The Sunshine, Moonlight, Good Times & Boogie(board) Tour August 2007

mkingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:43 AM   #2
Mike Jones
....nothing clever to say... just daft about Disneyworld!
I was right not to touch my own tag!!
Victim of a drive-by tag attack!

Craig - thanks again for the great reports!! I am motivated to try one at xmas..... on reflection do you think the effort has been worth it? (i'm looking for a loophole here, folks!) Mike
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2003, 03:49 AM   #3
susie2
DIS Veteran

wow, what a great trip report i have been reading all your trip reports and they have made me laugh lots, hurry back soon so we can have some more!! glad you enjoyed your holiday and please go back soon. susie
susie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:07 AM   #4
mkingdon

Mike

Yes it is worth it, absolutely.

It makes you re-live you holiday which can't be a bad thing, and it pays back some of the effort of others who have done reports previously, which I really enjoy reading.

Cheers

Craig

Old 09-19-2003, 05:11 AM   #5
Mike Jones

...ok, I'll try it! I'm sure there are tips elsewhere, but did you find it easier to make notes each day and tackle the whole thing when you return, or do a finished draft each day/couple of days whilst there (and presumably memory fresher)?. I have kept a personal diary for almost 20 years, but not in the same detail as I think would be neede for an interesting trip rep like yours... I suppose my fear is, a bit like video-ing everything, you miss some ( alot?) of the actual holiday experience in the process (" daddy, look at this, Mickey's doing a handstand!" " shush, I'm trying to remember the breakfast menu for my report!") Mike
Old 09-19-2003, 05:32 AM   #6
keith&carol
Mouseketeer

I have really enjoyed reading your reports. Thank you for taking the time to post them. It all helps to keep the dream alive!
Carol
keith&carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:46 AM   #7
SEVANS2208
Mouseketeer

Craig - thank you so much, these have been brilliant. It makes me wish I'd written everything down when we went last month. Perhaps I'll do it when we go back again (not until 2005 unfortunately ). Glad Louise is ok - what was wrong with her or did I miss that bit?!

Start saving - you'll have to go again soon so that we can have more reports!
SEVANS2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:31 AM   #8
mkingdon

Mike

I made bullet point notes each morning of what we did the day before. Reading back through those quickly brought back all the detail around those bullets. I'm looking forward to reading my own report in say 12 months to re-live the holiday!!!

SEVANS2208

Louise had some sort of down below infection!! Enough detail I think for these boards.

It sort of cleared itself up after the medication the hospital prescribed. I've told her she will have to undertake a full medical in order to qualify for any future trips!!

Cheers

Craig

Old 09-19-2003, 07:56 AM   #9
WDWFOREVER
Has splinters in her tooshie from all that fence sitting!
DIS Veteran who is counting down to her 10th visit to WDW in June!

Craig - thanks for keeping me and DH entertained over the last couple of weeks reading your trip reports. I am so sad as I have relived our holiday through reading about yours. We went back in June and it seems a long, long time ago!

Jackie
WDWFOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:18 AM   #10
Mike Jones

Thanks for the tips Craig. I'm looking forward to seeing your "next-visit timer" appearing anytime soon! Like you say, if you wait 'til you can afford them...........! (This Easter's was supposed to be the last for a while, and then, when I booked for Christmas my DW was absolutely assured that that would be it and we would take a year off in 2004 to do the house up etc etc.... we'll see!

Mike
Old 09-19-2003, 02:04 PM   #11
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Craig

Wonderful,wonderful trip reports

I hope to see the return of RYAN
Old 09-19-2003, 03:02 PM   #12
Clarey
Mouseketeer

Fantastic trip reports Craig:D I'm just sorry that they have come to an end. Glad to hear Louise has recovered:D

DLP Aug 1999
Int. Drive Feb 2001
Kissimmee Villa Oct 2003
New York, Washington & LBV Feb 2005
Clarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:04 PM   #13
FEEBEE
Mouseketeer

OH CRAIG, WHAT CAN I SAY ( I HAVE HAD A FEW SO BARE WITH ME)

I HAVE LOGGED IN TO CHECK OUT YOUR REPORTS DAILY, TAKE THIS AS A COMPLEMENT AS I DONT HAVE MUCH TIME BUT THEY WERE TOO GOOD TO MISS!

WE HAVE SIMILAR FAMILIES, YOU REMIND ME OF MY DH, I HOPE YOUR LOUISE IS BETTER, THE THINGS US WOMEN HAVE TO SUFFER EGH!!

I FEEL A BIT LIKE WHEN BIG BROTHER HAS FINISHED AND THERE IS NOTHING LEFT TO WATCH!!! I AM NOT A SAD GIT REALLY!!

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ON THE LAST DAY, WE HAVE BEEN DOING 3 WEEKS THE LAST FEW TIMES, AND WE REALLY DONT WANT TO COME HOME ON THE LAST DAY, MY 15 STONE VERY BUTCH HUSBAND (WHO'S OCCUPATION IS A MANAGER OF A MEAT WHOLESALERS) JUST TO PUT YOU IN THE PICTURE, CRIES LIKE A BABY ...........YES WE BOTH REALLY DONT WANT TO LEAVE, WE START THINKING OF ESCAPE ROUTES!! ARE WE AB NORMAL?
WE HAVE ACCEPTED THE FACT THAT ULTIMATLEY WE NEED TO EMIGRATE, OR FACE A LIFE OF DOOM AND GLOOM AND LIVING FOR 3 WEEKS PER YR!!?!""? DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL LIKE THIS OR IS IT JUST US!!

WE HAVE KIDS BOTH GIRLS THAT ARE SIMILAR AGES, AND I FOUND YOUR REPORTS SO AMUSING! DONT YOU THINK THAT IT IS NICE THAT WE HAVE GONE PAST THE STAGE WHERE ALTHOUGH RYAN IS FULL WE DONT HAVE TO THINK ABOUT NAPPIES AND WIPES?!?!?

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME!

HOPE LOU AND THE GIRLS ARE O.K

2000 Villa Indian Point
2001 Holl Inn Int Drive /Radisson Sand Key Clearwater
2002 Villa Indian Point
2003 Grosvenor Resort inWDW/ Hilton Marco Island

2004 Vista PARK villa for 3 weeks YEEE!

earsgirl:

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'February 7, 2004 10:16:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=red>Countdown to 3 week in The Magic Taking Dad for 1st time! </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'And Theyre Off !!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
FEEBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #14
Sue & Co.
Born to be tagged...
Get's far too excited before a Disney trip to sleep!

Craig - Thank you for your wonderful reports, I have been awaiting each new one as it was posted and I'm sorry that you had to come back so no more reports (for now). We are thankfully still looking forward to our next adventure (Nov.) but like you will get severe depression when we leave as it will be 2/3 years before we are able to return.

Sue
Old 09-20-2003, 11:39 AM   #15
galaxy
I change the colour each Sunday night!
Be careful what you wish for ;)

Thank you for your fabulous trip reports.

I feel so sad that you're sad now your trip is over. Its an awful feeling and I always cry on my last day(we always leave Mk on the boat -our last view is of the castle through my tears)

Then we cheer ourselves up with the decision to keep going back. As soon as we are home Im on the pc planning our next trip.

Thank goodnes for boards like this....I think I'd go insanr without them (DH says im insane already )

So cheer up , you've got other trips to look forward to

Galaxy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: