Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2003, 07:01 AM   #1
mkingdon
Obsessed...and admits it!!

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms - Day Fourteen - Fourth Time Lucky!!

Cast

Me - Craig, only just 33. Rucksack carrier and stroller pusher.
Louise - Wife, 34, slowly becoming addicted to WDW.
Emily - Aged 8. Moody, full of attitude and daddy’s girl.
Rebecca - Aged 6. Comedian, Olympic eater and worrier.

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms, sponsored by VISA.

Day Fourteen – Wednesday 27th August – Fourth Time Lucky

Don’t worry, the pain is nearly over. Here we are with only a few days left to go of our trip, so only two or three more ramblings to work through for you.

We were all very tired this morning, so it was a relaxing morning in the house. The kids hit the pool after breakfast, and I watched about four hours of adverts interspersed with about ten minutes of real programmes on the TV.

We dragged two prunes out of the pool at around 12.30 and got them showered and ready to go. We left the house at 1.00, and did the usual trek, up the US27, passed all the usual landmarks (we had memorised them by now). Look, there’s the Red Carpet Inn again, there’s the 7 Eleven, there’s the Central Florida Heart Care Centre, and there is the Central Florida Cancer Centre, (our house must have been in an area renowned for good health), and here comes the I4 turning.

Off onto the I4 (don’t worry I’ll stop this soon) and after about five minutes there is the exit for The World.

We got to MGM at 1.30. It was HOT. No, I mean HOT!!!!! Really, I don’t think you are quite getting it…it was H…O…T.

We had purchased two Squeeze Breezes (finally I remember the proper name for these things) on day One from the Magic Kingdom, forgetting all the posts on DIS that said buy them from Walmart, and throughout the entire trip so far I had about two squirts, and a quick blow. (My mind reels with sarcastic comments, but the family nature of this board prevent me from elaborating).

The kids launch themselves into their stroller (we get a double one as they are sort of compartmentalised at MGM, so are OK for our two lumps). They then moan for about twenty minutes about being hot. I do point out that they sat in the shade, with a fan two inches from their face, not actually doing anything, whereas I am pushing ten stones of children in a stroller with the handling of an ASDA trolley (Wal-Mart cart for our US readers), with half the contents of our holiday luggage strapped to my back.

They respond in a sympathetic manner by telling me they want a drink.

By the way, Ryan contains all the usual today, but I have removed the stinky ponchos now and shoved them in the back of the stroller.

It won’t surprise you to learn that the first job was to secure a FP for the Ariel show, as today will be the last chance to see it. As usual there is time to kill until the show, so we have a wander and decide to try WWTBAM, as we have never done this before, and also it is air-conditioned.

We join the queue as they start to admit it, and we are told that they cannot guarantee seats for this show for those just joining the queue. Now, we all look at each other, knowing for certain that everyone will get in, until we roll up, and then they will tell us it is full. We wander up and down the queue thing, certain of our fate.

Surprisingly we get in, and get seats together which was good. The show was very good, and even the kids got into it. I obviously had a faulty set of buttons as I failed to appear on the leader-board.

The host (Kevin I think) was incredible. He was OK at his job, but the incredible bit was his appearance. He was a walking stereotype of a quiz show host. He was all teeth and tan, with perfect hair and a sharp suit.

When he smiled, those of use having removed our sunglasses suffered retina burn!!!

As I said though we really enjoyed this.

It was then time to see Ariel for the last time. Emily attempted to sulk for the first few minutes as we were not on the front row this time, but she soon got over it. A very good performance, and our third different Ariel of the trip.

We then move on to the Animation tour, and after a ten minute wait, we get in. The Robin Williams’ bits keep the girls amused, and I enjoy the part with the “real life” artist and he tells us about a new film he has been working on about a bear, but the name escapes me now. One fact I do remember. He said that for every job at Disney Animation they get 1500 applications!!!! Wow.

The latter stages of the tour seemed a little rushed to me, and we didn’t really get to see the offices of the artists.

Right then, time to eat. Just for a nice change I’d though we’d get a FDP!!! We had booked Mama Melrose weeks ago from home, thinking this would be our second viewing of Fantasmic. How wrong can you be. For those joining us late in this report, we have tried three times to see this show and failed miserably due to rain and too many people.

It also won’t surprise you to know that as we made our way over to Mama Melrose it started to rain!!! My mood was blacker than the clouds at this point. That God bloke has a lot to answer for. World hunger, poverty…never mind that, just stop it raining for a few hours over MGM and I’m happy.

As we enter the restaurant the rain gets heavier. We do a restroom stop, which can only have been about our third today which was some sort of record, and then we are seated.

The set meal for FDP was pretty good. You start with a family salad, (the kids don’t DO salad though but the grown ups enjoyed it) and a family pizza, which the kids definitely do DO.

We also got some warm bread. I had most of that of course. We then chose our entrees from the menu. I had a pasta dish, as did Louise and they were both OK. The kids no doubt had their usual.

Louise had a red wine, I had a beer (I needed it as I was adding up how much we’d spent on FDP this trip for zero return) and the girls had chocolate milk. Louise then spotted sangria on the menu, and decided she’d try that. A half caraffe!!!

Now I know we had more alcohol than usual, but still at $110 plus tip, this was a dear do, which was, to be honest, average food. The service was also poor. Well, the server was fine, but the kitchen was busy we were told, and we had long waits between courses, and the server spent more time apologising than serving.

As we left the rain was a little better and Rebecca wanted to see Beauty and the Beast again. We arrive early, and get seats quite near the front. We enjoy Four for a Dollar, and wish they were on longer as they only did three songs.

We enjoy the show much more for being so close to the front, and I get some great video footage to bore the relatives with later.

Then we walked round to the R&RC, as Louise wanted one last go. I take the kids for an ice cream, and twenty minutes later Louise is back with a huge smile on her face. I hope that was the R&RC!!!

Again, for the sake of the family I decline to ride, as the kids are bored, and the pressure to get into Fantasmic is now enormous even though it is only 7.30. We walk round to Oscar’s and the gate is open, we show our magic blue ticket (similar to Wonka’s golden one) and we begin the long walk up the hill.

I half expect an earthquake, tornado or similar act of God to prevent the show going ahead, but so far so good.

We take our seats, the rain has stopped, and I finally start to believe we are going to see this show. After ten minutes, my backside is totally numb, (it finally caught up with my head then…go on say it, I know you want to), so we are pleased to take part in the Mexican waves that are moving across the crowd.

As it gets darker, all the light up toys come out, and then, the woman, yes woman, not child, but woman directly in front of me, puts on her illuminous, lighty up Mickey Ears. Hilarious they were!!! Now I’m not one to poop anyone’s party, but I’ve spent about $350 on food to be sat here tonight, and now this muppet sticks two big green light up ears on her head. Right in my line of vision.

I tell myself she’ll take them off when the show starts. She doesn’t. I toy with the idea of swapping places with one of the kids, after all who had paid for this trip, but I don’t. Instead, I move a little to one side, and get a half decent view.

Despite this, the show of course is great.

As it ended the crush began, and once again we were directed out onto Sunset Boulevard rather then out by Oscar’s. Despite that, and a restroom stop near the entrance, we are amazed at how quickly we get out and on to a tram. As we arrive at the tram stop, a tram leaves, and immediately another arrives and we are straight on. As we pull away, there are three more trams waiting to pull in to the pick up point. Very impressive.

We are now at the stage of the holiday where we are doing things for the last time, so it’s lump in the throat time for me, as I’m sad like that. I know we won’t be going to MGM again this trip, and that makes me really upset. I get all quiet and reflective when we leave parks for the last time on a trip, and Louise knows just to leave me alone for a bit until I get over it.

After our 2001 trip, it took me about 2 years, in fact I got over it the day we left for this trip funnily enough.

We are off, with two sleeping children before we get off the car park!! We throw them in bed, and then watch some adverts for a while, before calling it a day, and a good day at that.

Tomorrow – MK and our last full day
Cypress Pointe August 2004

Trip Report 2003 - The Williams Tour of Florida Restrooms Sponsored by VISA

The Sunshine, Moonlight, Good Times & Boogie(board) Tour August 2007

mkingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
Mike Jones
....nothing clever to say... just daft about Disneyworld!
I was right not to touch my own tag!!
Victim of a drive-by tag attack!

Craig - thanks for another installment! We have enjoyed your reports immensely. Keep up the good work. Mike & family. (particularly liked the reminder about the washer-up tape in AK... do you also remeber that it included chopping onions too?!! ........we'd sat there over 2 years worth of visits before realising the con this year!)
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
mkingdon
Obsessed...and admits it!!

Mike,

It really IS a small world after all. Here I sit at work in Bury at the moment, ah the wonders of the internet :D

Yes we heard the chopping too. Louise still doesn't believe it's a tape by the way!!! You see what I have to live with.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Craig
Cypress Pointe August 2004

Trip Report 2003 - The Williams Tour of Florida Restrooms Sponsored by VISA

The Sunshine, Moonlight, Good Times & Boogie(board) Tour August 2007

mkingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Love your reports
Old 09-15-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
mike230652
This'll do 'til I think of something witty to say.

Craig

Excellent reports.....I'm really enjoying them!!

I know what you mean about ..." lump in the throat time.." On our last visit in November 2001 we did Fantasmic on our last full day...........I was videoing the wife & kids by Mickey's Hat afterwards......and suddenly they started playing " Over the Rainbow..............." What with a beatiful balmy evening, memories of Fantasmic fresh in my mind, and the knowledge it was very nearly all over I was all quivery bottom lip! It's pitiful to hear a grown man sobbing over the video!!

You reports really capture what WDW is about, keep 'em up.

Thanks

mike230652
Old 09-15-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
AlisonB
Bonzo's DW!!
The Tag Fairies visit EVERYWHERE, Alison! Just ask AngelUK :-)
All Aboard! Now Leaving Twoterville!!!

So glad you finally got to see Fantasmic!
1994 - EuroDisney
1999 - Offsite
2001 - CBR & Polynesian
2003 - Wilderness Lodge & Hard Rock
2004 - Pop, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Club
2007 - POR, HRH, Grand Floridian
2008 - ASSp, BCV, VB, RPR, VWL
AlisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 03:02 AM   #7
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Wonderful trip reports ~ Thanx for sharing!!
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 03:24 PM   #8
Mrs Dazzle
Florida-mad (well, mad full stop!)
Looking for her George Clooney doctor...
Tag Fairy's don't go on holiday (or vacation) ;-)

Oh dear, the end of your holiday is coming and that means not many more of your excellent trippies.

Best get off to read the next one now:D
Oct/Nov 83 - tour of Florida; June 99 - Orlando/Sand Key; May 00 - Orlando/St Pete Beach; May 01 - St Pete Beach; Sept/Oct 01 - (Hong Kong & Philippines); Oct 02 - Orlando/Marco Island/Keys; May 03 - (St Lucia); Oct 03 - Orlando/Marco Island; Dec 04 - Xmas skiing in a winter wonderland; Aug 05 - Ft Myers Beach/Orlando; Easter 06 - Skiing Lake Tahoe/San Fransisco; Easter 07 - Boston/Killington for another American ski adventure Oct 07 - Orlando; Aug 08 - Florida for three weeks; Apr 09 - Katie's 16th birthday treat with mum to NewYorkOct 09 - Miami & Marco Island; June 12 - Celebrate Divorce in Barbados June 13 - Orlando & Barbados with my lovely DD
Mrs Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: