Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2003, 06:44 PM   #1
BONZO
Has been known to go off topic!
Apparantly size does matter!
Enjoys a quick rub down with the Sporting Life

Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Day 6. MGM and Blizzard Beach

Day 6 - Sunday 24th August 2003

Cast list:

Shaun - 40 something 'If it's not alcoholic I won't drink it'
Alison - 30 something 'If it spins I won't even look at it'
Alexandra - 10 'If it goes upside down I won't ride it'
Laura - 8 'If it's not pizza I won't eat it'

Up early again this morning - 7.20am, but DDs were very tired this morning and reluctant to wake up.

Today we decide to give GOLDEN CORRAL (near to Bahama Breeze) a try for breakfast to give our opinion of the place, my how we suffer for our art! - LOL

Overall the impression of this place was very favourable thanks to the large spread (theirs not mine!), although our waitress was a bit slow. I mean - if I want a Latvian waitress I would have stayed at home!

However, even though there was a massive array of food, some of our party only had cereal - picky, picky! There were 3 buffet areas - one with a chef cooking omelettes to order! The fruit selection was excellent - Alexandra ate about a pound of strawberries and 2 melons!

The total bill was $23 - great value!

After rolling out of the restaurant it's off to Disney MGM today - and boy it's bloomin' hot today already. We got there at about 9.30, and there weren't too many people around again.

Straight in and get a FastPass for RocknRoller Coaster for all of us and then head over to the Great Movie Ride. We really like this ride (got the gangster option - and Alexandra had her hands tightly clapped over her ears for the whole ride because of the gunshots!)

We then made our way back to RnRC (via Tower of Terror to collect our next fastpasses) and all headed to the entrance except for Alexandra, although at the last minute Laura decided against it. As we passed and waved at the girls Laura had a change of mind but it was far too late to get her by then. Oh well, only 7 months to wait til next time we reassure her when we get out!

After much angst and discussion we head over to ToT. Alexandra very kindly queues up with us (kindly, because she didn't want to wait by herself - but Shaun and I both wanted to see Laura's face on her first ever go on ToT!) and ducks out down the service elevator on her own to exit to wait for the three of us - well done that girl!

One of the funny things is that poor Laura is all over the place and is nowhere to be seen in the photograph.

By now it was absolutely boiling and the girls were asking about swimming, so we just decided to do 'Who wants to be a millionaire' and then go. Alison went off to get fastpasses for it while I took the girls to buy some more pins for their collections form the are under the hat. When Alison came back she told us that the CM was just getting ready for the characters to come out - remarkably this revived the girls and they happily queued up in the hot sun to get more autographs and photos! I however did not - (that surely is a Mother's role?) - and sat in the cool shade nest to a water fountain!

After a while I looked around to see that the characters had all gone in but Alison and the girls were standing around having polaroids taken. I wandered over to discover that DDs had been filmed for the new Disney in-resort video! - how cool is that? Alison had to fill in some consent forms and then we were off to see WWTBAM. Such a good replication, this - and always exciting! At one point a CM asked the audience if anyone was there from the UK and nearly the entire audience stood up! LOL Practically no Americans in there!

At this point we decided to take our own advice and duck out to a water park - so we headed off to Blizzard Beach this time.

We found BB fairly busy as you'd expect, but no problem finding some chairs. Oh what a feeling as we entered the pool for a nice dip. We cooled right down and left as the park closed at 6pm and it was beginning to cloud over.

Back (via the McDonalds near the All Stars along with all the Brits from WWTBAM) into MGM to see if Fantasmic was going to be a starter but it looks very doubtful as the sky begins to get darker and darker. We huddle by the Studio Animation Tour entrance to get our Beanoland poncho's on and chance for a quick DIBB. I get talking to an old man nearby only to discover that he's 75 and has just done front row RnRC! We toured round One Man's Dream while we waited to see what the weather would do - Alison and I could have spent ages in here - but the girls only do exhibitions at light warp speed - so we just had to glance briefly at the pictures!

We looked doubtfully up at the sky as we came out and then heard a hug clap of thunder so reluctantly decided to leave Fantasmic for that night. Didn't think that there was much else to do under these circumstances so we decided to have our very first look at Disney Quest.

Blimey - this place is huge - just the place for kids on Blue Smarties! - It reminded me of the island where Pinocchio goes with the other naughty boys.

After a quick look around and a doubtful tour of duty on the virtual raft rapid ride - I mean it had to be virtual to take our combined weight! - LOL - we went upstairs - and joy of joys!

NAMCO Center! - YAHOO! - mis-spent youth returns with a vengence as they have all of the old arcade games lined up, free of charge and 99 lives programmed in!

These games included, Tank Buster, Galaxians, Dig Dug, Tron, Frogger etc etc. Wonderful! The girls loved it all too - we planned to come back here another day to have a go on lots more things, but they were pretty tired so we decided to make a move at about 11pm.

Back home to WL - time for Alison to pack while I supervised with a large scotch! It's a hard life!

Brits Count - loads! Don't think there were any Americans in WWTBAM!
Weather - hot and sunny until about 6.30 - it rained til about 8.45.
Rain impact - none except for us missing Fantasmic!

Tomorrow's plan - Move to Hard Rock Hotel

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2007 ~ POR, HRH, GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, WLV
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:56 AM   #2
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Fame for the girls eh
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2003, 04:03 AM   #3
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Wonderful trip report ~ Thanx for sharing!!!
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:44 AM   #4
Mrs Dazzle
Florida-mad (well, mad full stop!)
Looking for her George Clooney doctor...
Tag Fairy's don't go on holiday (or vacation) ;-)

Shame about Fantasmic.

We've never managed to get on the Movie Ride - it's always been out of service before. What exactly does it do?
Oct/Nov 83 - tour of Florida; June 99 - Orlando/Sand Key; May 00 - Orlando/St Pete Beach; May 01 - St Pete Beach; Sept/Oct 01 - (Hong Kong & Philippines); Oct 02 - Orlando/Marco Island/Keys; May 03 - (St Lucia); Oct 03 - Orlando/Marco Island; Dec 04 - Xmas skiing in a winter wonderland; Aug 05 - Ft Myers Beach/Orlando; Easter 06 - Skiing Lake Tahoe/San Fransisco; Easter 07 - Boston/Killington for another American ski adventure Oct 07 - Orlando; Aug 08 - Florida for three weeks; Apr 09 - Katie's 16th birthday treat with mum to NewYorkOct 09 - Miami & Marco Island; June 12 - Celebrate Divorce in Barbados June 13 - Orlando & Barbados with my lovely DD
Mrs Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:29 AM   #5
Astrid
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars

That's the Golden Corral we went to - don't recall the Latvian waitress though!!

Shall be looking out for Alexandra and Laura in the video - bet they were well chuffed at their moment of fame!

Astrid x
DLP - Dec '97
ASMu - Mar '02
Off Site & The Polynesian - May '03
Off Site & The Dolphin - Dec '03
The Dolphin/The Yacht Club & Sam's Wedding - May '04
HRH & Private Villa - Oct '05
Private Villa & Royal Pacific Resort - May '07
Astrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
WebmasterPenny
Trying to be cheeky...
Don't trifle with the Tag Fairy

Very cool indeed being in the Resort video...I'll be looking out for them next trip for sure!

Another great report...shame about Fantasmic though

Assistant Webmaster
WebmasterPenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: