Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

California days 9 to 10 Big Sur and Pismo Beach.

Days 9 to 10

Days 9 to 10 Big Sur and Pismo Beach.
Cast -
Me - 29 and America/Disney nut
DH - 27 and also caught by the America/Disney Bug

Day 9
We left Carmel fairly early and headed down Route 1 towrads our next stop which was to be The Shore Cliff Lodge at Pismo Beach for the next two nights.
Soon after heading off we hit Big Sur and wouldbe on it for about the next 120 miles if memory serves me correctly. Now this is some of the most twisty of roads I have seen in the US and right on th cliff egde!! DH wished he had his Scooby for all the tight turns as the Chrysler really did wallow in them. We stopped off a various poits to admire the scenery and take photogaphs. We had been warned in a travel book not to use the beach toilets but DH had to at one point and reported back saying there was a toilet but it had no bottom and went straight down into a big hole and smelt needless to say I declined to use it!!! Only to wish i had a few miles later so we decided to try and find a suitable toilet which was not easy. Firstly decide to try a local park/campground but I said there was no way I would pay $6 just to use a toilet so we continued with our mission to find a more suitable toilet. I then saw a picnic area and we drove down a narrow road to a cove where several SUV's with surfers were parked and I used the toilet there again a hole in the ground what an experience!! I felt much relieved after this a we contiued on our way.
We then stopped shortly after ending the Big Sur part of the drive as it was lunch time and ate some bread, cheese and meat slices that we had picked up in Carmel and put in the small cool bag, which I always take with me so useful for picnic lunches.
After a pleasant half hour or so sitting in the car park overlooingthe coastline we headed of to find our Hotel.
Well Pismo Beach was quite different to what I expected our hotel was just off Route 1 and we had a huge room overlooking the cliffs which were about 30 feet away. So as soon as we had checked in and got the luggage to the room we went walk to check out the swiming pool. The swimming pool was lovely looking over the cliffs towards the Pacific and it had plenty of loungers,chairs etc great we thought. Decided against a swim today and had a rest in the room before driving into the main 'downtown' area of Pismo Beach finishing up at Marie Calendars for dinner. I must say that Pismo Beach seemed quie like nothing else we had come across before and DH described it as being like a Cornish surf town where there is alot of caravan/caming parks and streets just leading off the main beach area.

Day 10
Today we went to Hearst Castle so drove for an hour or so back North to get to it. Parked in the visitors ot and then boked our tour as it is the only way to see the castle. After a sort debate went for tour 1 which is for newcomers and includes the pools and main areas of the castle. After a long ride in a bus up the steep hillside road we were there and wow what a place and what a spectacular view over towards the Pacific. We were then lead around on the guided tour. Our favorite area has to be the outside pool who can imgine swimming in that!! We were told employees of the catle and Hearst family members can swim in it and had ony done so the previous evening we were so jealous by this point!! The tour then continued through the main areas and wow what a lot of items from different centuries all on dispaly together. The last place we went was to the indoor pool before going back to the visitor cemter and heading back to the hotel.
Although the weather had been cloudy,windy and quite cool up until now upon arriving back it was sunny and wam so we went for a dip in the hotel pool. The pool was lovely so warm it took the chill out of the wind.
After sorting ourselves out went out for dinner to a local Italian restaurant recommended by the guide book and what a meal it was lovely I had meatballs and DH had lasagne very filling!! Back to our hotel for a good nights sleep and off again the following morning.

Claire :D
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 12:09 PM   #2
Mrs Dazzle
Florida-mad (well, mad full stop!)
Looking for her George Clooney doctor...
Tag Fairy's don't go on holiday (or vacation) ;-)

Oh goody, catching up with your trip again now Claire:D

Have you any photos to share? It sounds lovely over on the West coast, I'd love to visit one day.

We're looking at a weeks skiing over in Lake Tahoe or Canada, followed by a week on the west coast.
Oct/Nov 83 - tour of Florida; June 99 - Orlando/Sand Key; May 00 - Orlando/St Pete Beach; May 01 - St Pete Beach; Sept/Oct 01 - (Hong Kong & Philippines); Oct 02 - Orlando/Marco Island/Keys; May 03 - (St Lucia); Oct 03 - Orlando/Marco Island; Dec 04 - Xmas skiing in a winter wonderland; Aug 05 - Ft Myers Beach/Orlando; Easter 06 - Skiing Lake Tahoe/San Fransisco; Easter 07 - Boston/Killington for another American ski adventure Oct 07 - Orlando; Aug 08 - Florida for three weeks; Apr 09 - Katie's 16th birthday treat with mum to NewYorkOct 09 - Miami & Marco Island; June 12 - Celebrate Divorce in Barbados June 13 - Orlando & Barbados with my lovely DD
Mrs Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2003, 12:38 PM   #3
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

I did take a few digital pictures on my camcorder so will have to get DH to download them at some point so that they can then be posted if the quality is good enough.
When are you looking to go to Tahoe?? I may be going in February for my 30th borthday with DH funds etc depending!
Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:20 PM   #4
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Lovely Clare Good to see you are back with your trip reports.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:35 AM   #5
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Wonderful trip reports ~ Thanx for sharing!!
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: