Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2003, 03:27 AM   #1
mkingdon
Obsessed...and admits it!!

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms - Day Five - Rain, rain go away

Cast

Me - Craig, only just 33. Rucksack carrier and stroller pusher.
Louise - Wife, 34, slowly becoming addicted to WDW.
Emily - Aged 8. Moody, full of attitude and daddy’s girl.
Rebecca - Aged 6. Comedian, Olympic eater and worrier.

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms, sponsored by VISA.

Day Five – Monday 18th August – Rain, rain go away

We learnt our lesson from yesterday, and decided on a morning in the house. We were all up at around 7, and had breakfast in the house. We then relaxed and swam till around 11.30.

The plan for today was MGM, with a FDP reservation at Brown Derby, so although we would be much later setting off there was no reason to change our park of choice.

We arrived at MGM at around 12.30, and the law within our family is that when at MGM we may squeeze in a couple of rides around continuous viewings of Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Emily & Rebecca absolutely love this show. They would watch it all day.

So first job was to get a FP for the next available show, which we did. We then wandered down Sunset Boulevard, held within the tractor beam that is the R&RC. This is Louise’s favourite ride without question, and she would happily go on this all day. Imagine the peace I would have if the kids stayed with Ariel all day and Louise did continuous loops with Steven Tyler.

We stopped at the McFries shop, and had a really healthy lunch of fries and coke. Well it beats the chocolate fudge cake for breakfast at Golden Corral. Now, you may have noticed that we have tended to do a bit of park zig zagging…remember the MK day? Well, by the time we’d eaten our boxes of hot cholestorol, it was time for the Ariel FP. So off we went.

Now I must admit, Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a favourite of mine too. I think it is very cleverly put together, and considering it is staged in a theme park, and runs almost continuously the quality is very good. I also have a soft spot for Ariel in that shell costume, but anyway, moving on!!! Today’s show was very good, and this particular Ariel was excellent...in a singing and acting way of course!!!

Of course, after Ariel, we walked back to Sunset Boulevard!! Why wouldn’t we? I was despatched to get FPs for R&RC and TOT. Having four tickets and two wimpy children has it’s advantages sometimes.

Now it was turn for Rebecca’s favourite show (after Ariel). We got seats for Beauty and the Beast just as it was about to start, and that meant we were up on the griddle, sorry I mean the bleachers at the back. I call it the griddle as it really feels like you are frying up there. It was so hot, there was sweat running into places I’d not seen for years.

After B&B it was FP time for TOT. I went first, not having rode this for four years, as for some reason I didn’t do this on the last trip. I don’t know if anyone has seen that film, Meet The Parents, but there is a really funny scene where Ben Stiller is waiting to board a plane, and the airport woman announces to an empty departure gate waiting area that they are boarding rows 1-25. Ben Stiller being the only person there tries to board. She won’t let him as he is not in rows 1-25, and asks him to step back. He does and they stare at each other in silence for a minute. She then gets on the tannoy again to say they are boarding all rows and on he gets.

Well, the point of boring you with that film scene was to paint the picture of what happened to me when trying to use my FP. I forget the exact time, but I approached the CM with a FP that, admittedly didn’t start for about 3 minutes. However, nobody was entering the ride. The CM said, sorry Sir you’ll need to wait a few minutes. So I stood there and stared at her, she stared at me. Tumbleweed blew across the scene, in the distance a wolf howled.

After that 3 minutes another person holding the same FP time as me wandered up. Go on, just try it sonny I thought. He flashed his FP, and on he went. Now after the Game Boy/Villa escapades so far I was now looking for the MUG stamp across my forehead and trying to rub it off. I took a step towards the CM, willing to wrestle her to the ground to gain entry if needed, and she smiled sweetly and said, “Go ahead Sir.” So I did.

I had forgotten how much I love this ride. The fact that really astounds me, when you compare this ride to rides in UK themeparks, is the fact that they have built a hotel (well it looks like one) just to house a ride. The theming in the lobby is fantastic, and the CMs are always totally in the part.

Being a single rider, I was able to knock small children out of the way during the pre show and get myself right next to the exit door so that I gained those valuable inches once the Twilight Zone TV bit had finished.

Two more minutes in the queue, and I was on. I don’t want to spoil this for anyone who has not ridden this yet, but it is so much more than a go up and get dropped down. I enjoyed it, nuff said.

I returned to the females of the pack, and Louise didn’t want to go on. She wasn’t feeling too bright (more of that later). Luckily, whilst I’d been gone everyone had been to the restroom!!

Despite not feeling her best, Louise then did R&RC. It would taking a missing limb to stop her riding that. I waited with the kids. Louise returned, and off I went with my FP. Used my stand next to the exit door during the pre show tactic again.

Got allocated a row, and then it broke down. The ride was like this for about ten minutes and then, came back on line. I was in the first car to leave after this. Nervous? me….YES. Once the G Forces hit me on the initial acceleration all I could do was laugh and scream in equal measures. A superb ride.

Just as I exited the obligatory shop at the ride exit it started to rain. It was now 5.45. Doesn’t time fly. We had FDP at the Brown Derby booked for 6.00, so the plan was to sprint like maniacs down Sunset Boulevard and get to the Brown Derby just before the rain go too heavy.

We were off, no time for restrooms girls, you’ll have to cross em!! It was like a computer game, navigate your stroller through the busy themepark, during a thunderstorm, without crippling too many passers by. Not that I’m after sympathy, but do remember that I still have my friend Ryan (the rucksack, by this time had a name, as he weighed as much as one of the kids) and I am pushing Emily who is a good few pounds heavier then Rebecca.

Being the gentleman that I am, I go at full speed with not a care for the location of wife and child two. I take shelter under one of the canopies of the villain shop, and look back. Louise and stroller are nowhere to be seen. So many excuses, including, the wearing of flip flops, not feeling well, Rebecca being heavy…yada yada yada.

Anyway, by the time she catches up the rain is torrential and all chances of reaching the Brown Derby without looking like we’ve been for a swim are gone. At this point we hadn’t invested in ponchos, so we couldn’t don those. Yes, I know they sell them in the shop behind me, but we are 30 yards from the restaurant, and it might not rain again this holiday, so they would be a waste of money!!! How wrong could I be?

So we waited for five minutes under the canopy and watched the rain get heavier, and heavier. The girls started to shiver, feeling cold. I was despatched to the shop behind me to invest in a cheap sweatshirt for them both to wear in the restaurant as their t-shirts were wet through.

I wandered around in the shop seeing lots of sweatshirts…but cheap. Humph. Returning to the kids $50 lighter we decided to brave it out and make the final 30 yard dash. Made it, and parked the strollers.

The lobby of the Brown Derby was bedlam. Hundreds of wet harassed guests trying to get a table to avoid going back out in the rain. I patiently waited my turn and then non chalanty wandered to the CM, and said, very smugly and loudly…”I have a PS for 6.00 for 4..name of Williams”. Scathing looks from the bedraggled masses.

Now my planning skills have improved in the last year, but to predict 120 days previously that at 6.00pm there would be a massive storm, and getting a table at the Brown Derby would be such a good idea. That was impressive.

We waited for about five minutes (did a restroom stop) and then went through to our table. Got the girls into their sweatshirts and at least they were dry. (Note, Ryan rucksack now also contains 2 wet t-shirts).

The waiter explained the FDP system, and said it was a set menu, but everything we saw on the menu was available. I had some sort of salad with posh cheese to start, and Louise had a posh mushroom thing. Both delicious. The girls had Chicken Noodle Soup to start followed by a Hot Dog.

We both had the same main course. Fillet of Beef with fancy stuff (I’m not good at detail). It was amazing. The meat just melted in your mouth.

Desserts for the grown ups was a banana cheescake thing, and the girls shared an ice cream. Again, delicious stuff.

The bill came to $120, but considering Louise had two $10 glasses of wine (Yes, dear I'm FINE with Diet Coke) it wasn’t bad. It was the best meal (food wise) we had all holiday.

We left Brown Derby at around 7.50, with then just a little drizzle in the air and the chances of Fantasmic looking OK. We did some browsing through the shops on our way down to Oscar’s.

At Oscar’s the usual entrance was shut, and there was a large group of poncho clad guests wondering what to do. We joined them for a few minutes, until a massive thunderclap and lightning appeared directly overhead.

At this point we knew Fantasmic would be off, so we made a sprint for the tram to avoid the mass exodus. Our plan paid off, and as we sat smugly on our row (children on the inside, 5 to a row only, please remain seated at all times. Driver we are clear) we saw thousands of ponchos oozing through the gates.

Found the Jeep, and we were home for 8.40, and in bed shortly afterwards.

Tomorrow – Disney Quest
Cypress Pointe August 2004

Trip Report 2003 - The Williams Tour of Florida Restrooms Sponsored by VISA

The Sunshine, Moonlight, Good Times & Boogie(board) Tour August 2007

Last edited by mkingdon; 09-04-2003 at 03:34 AM.
mkingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:23 AM   #2
Mrs Dazzle
Florida-mad (well, mad full stop!)
Looking for her George Clooney doctor...
Tag Fairy's don't go on holiday (or vacation) ;-)

An interesting day. Hope Louise was ok.

We got caught out in a storm in Busch Gardens first visit (with the MIL as well). By the time we'd waded to a shop we were hysterical with laughter. The CMs there thought we were terribly British (I did point out we were used to rain here) and heaped praise on us for laughing instead of blaming them for the rain (well, I guess some guests probably would ).

Hope you get to do Fantasmic another time:D
Oct/Nov 83 - tour of Florida; June 99 - Orlando/Sand Key; May 00 - Orlando/St Pete Beach; May 01 - St Pete Beach; Sept/Oct 01 - (Hong Kong & Philippines); Oct 02 - Orlando/Marco Island/Keys; May 03 - (St Lucia); Oct 03 - Orlando/Marco Island; Dec 04 - Xmas skiing in a winter wonderland; Aug 05 - Ft Myers Beach/Orlando; Easter 06 - Skiing Lake Tahoe/San Fransisco; Easter 07 - Boston/Killington for another American ski adventure Oct 07 - Orlando; Aug 08 - Florida for three weeks; Apr 09 - Katie's 16th birthday treat with mum to NewYorkOct 09 - Miami & Marco Island; June 12 - Celebrate Divorce in Barbados June 13 - Orlando & Barbados with my lovely DD
Mrs Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2003, 01:05 PM   #3
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Hello Ryan
Old 09-04-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
Tartan Tigger
I fixed my PC MYSELF!!!!!!!!
I need all the help I can get
Sends little flat people around the world
I tossed my cookies for Dixie Amos

I'm so glad you have given your rucksack a name at last. Ryan sounds as important as the rest of your family.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:57 AM   #5
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Wonderful reviews ~ Thanx for sharing!!!!
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:56 PM   #6
AlisonB
Bonzo's DW!!
The Tag Fairies visit EVERYWHERE, Alison! Just ask AngelUK :-)
All Aboard! Now Leaving Twoterville!!!

Oh no! What a shame about Fantasmic being called off after your lovely dinner! But well done on the sprint for the tram!
1994 - EuroDisney
1999 - Offsite
2001 - CBR & Polynesian
2003 - Wilderness Lodge & Hard Rock
2004 - Pop, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Club
2007 - POR, HRH, Grand Floridian
2008 - ASSp, BCV, VB, RPR, VWL
AlisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:02 AM   #7
squitty
With a little bit of Pixie Dust
Finds it hard to type with her eyes closed

A shame about the rain.
The exact same thing happend to me when I tried to use my FP for TOT a little earlier.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: