Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Kevin Stringer
Chat Host
Oddly concerned about an elephant living in his pyjamas
The TF would like to see Kevinís rendition of 'Great balls of fire'

A Very British Trip Report (Cruise Edition) Day 1

DAY 1 Ė THURSDAY 15TH MAY

Whoís going:

Me: Kev, 45.
Wife: Tam, 39.
Daughter 1: India, 12.
Daughter 2: Georgia, 9.

Want to know any more than that?
Go look at http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.stringer/index.htm itís really not too painful.

Woohoo! Itís here! Itís here! Iím going on holiday today!
I suppose I had better wake up the rest of the family. Amazing, most days a cattle prod would be hard pushed to rouse the girls from their slumber, but today they are up and bouncing off the walls inside 5 minutes. Why do you suppose that is?

We all have to put up with work and school before the real excitement starts, but the time goes as fast as a work-day-before-holiday can go and before long we are at the station waiting for the train to Gatwick airport.
Once underway out come the crisps, beer and Budweiser, just to put us in the right mood.
We have to change at Reading and, as is par for the course, our supposed 25 minute gap between trains is reduced to 9 minutes due to various delays. Carting 3 heavy suitcases down the stairs to the underpass and up the stairs the other side is not really my idea of fun, but at least it keeps me fit.

We make the connecting train to Gatwick with 4 minutes to spare. This is an improvement over the last time we did this 18 months ago when we had 2 minutes to spare. Either the rail system is improving or my ability to move cases around Reading station has got better as I have got older.

The shunter train between Reading and Gatwick has not improved. It is still packed with bored businessmen attempting to spread themselves across 4 seats to prevent anyone else sitting within snoring distance of them.
One man has removed his shoes and has his feet on the seats in front of him. I could be wrong, but I imagine that eau de sweatybusinessmansfoot is unlikely to be the cologne of choice for the discerning gentleman this year.
Mind you, I am sat on a train drinking beer from a can. Who am I to lecture anyone on etiquette?

After a couple of cans of Boddingtons I am more than happy to find that there is a loo hidden away in the depths of the train. Amazing the things that delight you as you get older.
After all the moaning I have to say that I still enjoy travelling by train. I donít have to drive and the girls and I enjoy chatting and looking at some very pretty countryside while Tam buries her head in a book.
After a couple more beers I notice that Thames Trains has also laid on pink dancing elephants for my personal entertainment. Very thoughtful.

At Gatwick station we struggle up the escalator with the suitcases and head for Twilight Check-in at the Virgin desk. There is a short queue and after 20 minutes we are stood in front of the most humourless soul on the face of the planet who informs us that our pre-booked seats are not available. When pushed as to why, he does little more than shrug his shoulders. Miserable git!
I even tell him the one about the 2 nuns in the bath, but to no effect.

If we canít get our pre-booked seats on the evening before the flight, what chance have those arriving tomorrow got?
If someone from Virgin could tell me what the point is in pre-booking seats if you canít get them, I would be very grateful.

Across to the Hilton which, at first glance, looks a poor relation to Le Meridian. At least the reception staff are pleasant. Our family room is huge and very nice. Tam points out the Matisse on the wall. In my considered opinion it is not original. Although I hear that Fred Matisse is very big in the Gatwick area.

We go to eat in ĎAmyísí an American style diner. Well, it seems appropriate. The food is good with large portions, but somehow they forget about the girls meals and Tam and I have nearly finished while Georgia and India are still salivating with anticipation. The waiter tells us that their order has been missed and offers a free round of drinks to make up for it. I nearly kiss the man in gratitude.
When we get the bill we find that, not only have we got a free round of drinks, but they have not charged for the childrenís desserts either. Pucker up waiter, Iím on my way over again.

We sit in the atrium for a little while and listen to the piano player. I prefer the sophistication of Le Meridien, but Tam and the girls say that they prefer the Hilton as it seems friendlier. Shut up then Kev.

Back to the room at 10:15. The girls are all tired. In fact Tam has been yawning since 9:00. This does not bode well. I have visions of me being left alone at night on the cruise to do what I please.... on second thoughts... :-)

Kev
Kevin Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 05:03 PM   #2
WebmasterPenny
Trying to be cheeky...
Don't trifle with the Tag Fairy

And so...the reports...they begin...

Can't wait for the next (What do you mean 'I have to.' Oh alright then, but get on with it quick, will ya!)

Assistant Webmaster
WebmasterPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2003, 12:41 AM   #3
squitty
With a little bit of Pixie Dust
Finds it hard to type with her eyes closed

Ahhhh...at last

Excellent as ever, I am trying not to laugh too loudly and wake the rest of my lot up

Thanks for the Hilton report we are staying there in Dec, if its good enough for the Stringers then it'll do for us.

More.......more........
Old 06-03-2003, 12:54 AM   #4
Fantasia Sam
Has a WDW secret
Is watched by the TF...

Oooo the anticipation - I can't wait to read more

I'm Sam, here's my old Wedding Report - FantasiaSam FairyTale Wedding Trippy more recent November 2011 Trippy

1996:QI Plaza; 1998:HII IDrive; 2000:QI Plaza; 2001:(x2), Clarion Rosen & HII IDrive; 2002:(x 2), Yacht Club, Swan, AKL; 2003: (x2)-YC, Wonder, CBR, WL, BWV; 2004:(x3), CBR,YC Concierge, Magic, BCV, Pop, Swan, Disney Wedding; 2005:(x3), Magic, WLV, Pop, BW Inn, OKW; 2006:(x3), Magic, BCV, OKW, Dolphin, AKL Concierge, WL Concierge; 2007:GFloridian & SSR; 2008:(x2), BCV & Dolphin; 2009:BCC & Magic Concierge; 2010:(x2), BCV, AKL Concierge, Swan, SSR; 2011:BC Concierge & BCV; 2012:(x2), OKW & Dolphin; 2013:(x2), Magic, YC Concierge OKW
Fantasia Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:03 AM   #5
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

OOOh this is too much - can't wait to receive more!!!!
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:50 PM   #6
Tartan Tigger
I fixed my PC MYSELF!!!!!!!!
I need all the help I can get
Sends little flat people around the world
I tossed my cookies for Dixie Amos

Great start Kev Bring on day 2.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:28 PM   #7
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Great train journey :D We are staying at the Hilton this year. I am glad Tam thinks it is a nice friendly place :D

On to the next......
Old 06-03-2003, 05:37 PM   #8
Fiona R
UK Scrapper!!

"Here we go, here we go here we go...."

The only reason those Stringers are going on holiday is to provide us trip report readers some entertainment!!

I also agree that Tam's opinion on a "nice place" is more valid than String Vest's. After all if you can enjoy a train journey in rush hour you must have a warped sense of perspective!!
Fiona R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 05:25 PM   #9
billybluenose
Earning My Ears

Only one person could make a tedious rush hour train journey from Reading to Gatwick sound really interesting
Old 06-05-2003, 12:39 PM   #10
Mrs Dazzle
Florida-mad (well, mad full stop!)
Looking for her George Clooney doctor...
Tag Fairy's don't go on holiday (or vacation) ;-)

Great start, Kev.

So, what's Le Meridien got that the poor old Hilton hasn't sophistication wise?? (us staying there, is probably one answer ).

But . . . so many questions not answered . . . . you mustn't leave us in suspense. Did you get suitable seats, given they'd fobbed yours off to someone else??

Off to read the next one
Oct/Nov 83 - tour of Florida; June 99 - Orlando/Sand Key; May 00 - Orlando/St Pete Beach; May 01 - St Pete Beach; Sept/Oct 01 - (Hong Kong & Philippines); Oct 02 - Orlando/Marco Island/Keys; May 03 - (St Lucia); Oct 03 - Orlando/Marco Island; Dec 04 - Xmas skiing in a winter wonderland; Aug 05 - Ft Myers Beach/Orlando; Easter 06 - Skiing Lake Tahoe/San Fransisco; Easter 07 - Boston/Killington for another American ski adventure Oct 07 - Orlando; Aug 08 - Florida for three weeks; Apr 09 - Katie's 16th birthday treat with mum to NewYorkOct 09 - Miami & Marco Island; June 12 - Celebrate Divorce in Barbados June 13 - Orlando & Barbados with my lovely DD
Mrs Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #11
WDWfan,uk
.... but you can call me Shirley :)
move over Alex and hand me the controls

Pre-booked seats not available in spite of getting to check in ultra early?

Yes! This has happened to us as well! ( Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I think the older your children get, the more likely this is to happen as they try to ensure that families with younger children are sat together).

Great fun......... as ever !
Old 06-15-2003, 02:04 PM   #12
Wagamama
Just call me Bella
Burned my credit cards for fuel

I love reading your trip reports!!!
Wagamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:20 PM   #13
safcdl16
Mouseketeer

Ahh

Bud, Boddies, a loo on the train and then free drinks at Amy's. It doesn't get much better than that.

Can we get on with the holiday now then please?

Thank You.

Dave
safcdl16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: