Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 04:15 AM   #1
disneyfan19712006
DIS Veteran

Question Scooter with a child

I will be alone with my 5 year old granddaughter.
If she gets too tired to walk or if we are in a crowded area where we might get separated. Is it ok for her to sit in my lap? I don't want to lose her

****Was just asking a question since I know she will be fine most of the time but if she falls asleep or walks too slow people will run over her. She is too heavy for an umbrella stroller. My son will be with us some of the time.

I have my own ECV at home and am very apt at driving it even with a child. I have seen some horror drivers at Disney and understand your concerns. I'm more concerned about her being run over. AS an experienced ECV driver I can tell you that the problem you have there is that so many people are using them for the first time. Many times I myself or my son have had to drive someone else's scooter onto a bus to save them from themselves. I have 12 years experience and have often been told by bus drivers how excellent I handle the scooter. Again the problems of some ruin things for others.

Last edited by disneyfan19712006; 07-03-2014 at 07:15 AM.
disneyfan19712006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

It is against Disney's policy for her to ride on your ECV. Also, if it is a rental from an outside company, it is also prohibited in your contract.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

no it is not okay nor is it allowed. have her walk beside you, hands on the armrest or something.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

You could also try having her hold a kid handle. They are basically handles on a cord that you hold the other side. It would allow her to stay with you and if she lets go you know to stop and look for her. I have a set for my girls when we walk through crowded places. I'll see if I can find the company name.

They are called hold on handles made by greater than one kid
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan19712006 View Post
I will be alone with my 5 year old granddaughter.
If she gets too tired to walk or if we are in a crowded area where we might get separated. Is it ok for her to sit in my lap? I don't want to lose her
OP, you asked an honest question, but the answer has to be "No, she can't ride with you anywhere on your scooter." If you read the DisBoards and other forums long enough, you'll read about innocent people who were injured because a child on a scooter pushed the accelerator unexpectedly, or suddenly leaned on the steering and the scooter went off-course. Or even the child herself fell off the scooter while it was moving, and the child was hurt.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

As you can see, it is not allowed and also dangerous to let your grand-daughter ride on your scooter. You will probably have to make shorter visits to the park each daily to avoid her tiring.

Also, make sure she knows what to do if you do get separated. Consider temporarily tattooing your cell number on her arm, or attach it to a tag on her shoe or shirt so someone can call you immediately.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

I saw a woman with a child in her lap on a scooter go flying into a bunch of parked strollers.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan19712006 View Post
. . . Is it ok for her to sit in my lap? . . .

1) No, no, no, no, no.
. . . totally against WDW rules
. . . totally unsafe for you and the kid
. . . totally unsafe for those walking in front of you or around you
2) Simply a BAD practice.
3) And, could get you expelled from the parks.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Coonhound
DIS Veteran

I have an idea. My wife saw this bracelet and made one for our granddaughter, I'll post the link since I'm not sure how to post the photo.
Teach your granddaughter that if she ever gets separated from you, to walk into the nearest store she sees or line for food/concession stand. Then she can say she is lost and hold up her arm to show the cast member her bracelet.

It's the Ohio Search and Rescue website, click on the Media tab and then the Safety tips button and scroll down to Child Safety Tips.

Ohiosar.com

Last edited by Coonhound; 07-02-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

It seems pretty clear that riding on the scooter is not going to be an option....so sorry. I know its not what you asked, but you may want to think though the whole trip, and think about your little one and decide if she is truly able to walk independently, stay right by your side and pretty much function quite independently. Our DS did give up the stroller by 5, but most kids have not, and even now at 7, there are tons of times I hold on to him for dear life to keep from loosing him when we are exciting the park or a crazy busy activity. I am sure it can be done and there are parents that do it, but honestly, I don't know that my DS and I could have done a trip in your situation when he was 5.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #11
SKRUD
Earning My Ears

Can you use a stroller?

How is your upper body strength? Can you drive your ECV safely and responsibly with one hand? Are you willing to endure the non-understanding gazes of the more able-bodied?

If you can answer positively to all these, then put your granddaughter in her stroller (not a Disney rental, preferable an umbrella or other LIGHT collapsible) and hold onto it as you go. Not by the handles, but by the metal frame on the side. No, don't tow it, it's not a waterski.

This will make you a double-wide on pathways, so you'll have to be *very* proficient at your driving skills. I did this on my last trip with my DS3. It will run your battery down faster, and as I said, you will be rudely gazed upon (at least) by those with less physical challenges than you. But I could find nothing that said it was not allowed. In fact, dozens of CMs saw me throughout the day, and more than one cheered me on as I travelled through the World.
SKRUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

You may be the best scooter driver in the world, and your grandchild perfectly behaved. But you can't control those around you, and you have no idea when someone is going to stop short in front of you or dart in front of you, causing you to have to stop suddenly or veer sideways. Your grandchild could get very hurt since scooters aren't designed for 2 people.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Before the trip, I would make sure your granddaughter has a thorough understanding that she HAS to stay with you. At five years old, my sister and I were strictly trained not to wander away in public places.

As a backup, many parents use safety ID temporary tattoos; you can get them customized, so I'd have your cell number on there so she can show it to any CM if you get separated. and you can be contacted.

As far as her stamina, the best option is to plan your day around a child's pace. If you know she can only handle X number of hours of activity before getting tired enough to need to be carried or pushed, then plan on your sessions in the park being slightly less than X hours at a time. It's what most parents did before strollers for older children became fashionable.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
Bete
DIS Veteran

I would schedule my day; so, there are rest periods. Like do a ride then a show; do another ride and then another show; do a ride and then have a meal; and do a ride then a parade. Maybe, the child will last longer or catch a cat nap on one of the shows this way.

You could probably use the first aid center for a rest, if needed. They have cots.

Just don't overdo; realize that a 5 year old has different limits from you. Spend some time at the resort and enjoy that aspect of it. Play some games in your room or whatever.

You can hire someone to help if you really want to do the parks commando style. You will have to pay an hour rate and the person's park tickets.
Bete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRUD View Post
How is your upper body strength? Can you drive your ECV safely and responsibly with one hand? Are you willing to endure the non-understanding gazes of the more able-bodied?

If you can answer positively to all these, then put your granddaughter in her stroller (not a Disney rental, preferable an umbrella or other LIGHT collapsible) and hold onto it as you go. Not by the handles, but by the metal frame on the side. No, don't tow it, it's not a waterski.

This will make you a double-wide on pathways, so you'll have to be *very* proficient at your driving skills. I did this on my last trip with my DS3. It will run your battery down faster, and as I said, you will be rudely gazed upon (at least) by those with less physical challenges than you. But I could find nothing that said it was not allowed. In fact, dozens of CMs saw me throughout the day, and more than one cheered me on as I travelled through the World.

I see you said you did this yourself and no CM stopped you. Technically this is not allowed. You can not push, pull, or tow anything from an ECV. I believe it is only written in the ECV rental statement thus why many CMs won't say anything just like they won't say anything if you are in a non-Disney ECV with a child on your lap but if your kid gets hurt or you hurt another guest then Disney is not at fault.
wilkeliza is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: