Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Interesting safety bracelet

I recently saw a new type of safety bracelet that might be useful for some.

http://www.autism-products.com/SafeI...s_p/safeid.htm

This is not the only brand, but the idea is interesting. The bracelet has a QR code; when read by a smartphone or someone going to the website/phone number on the bracelet, it connects to an information file that the user has uploaded.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
pookadoo77
Mouseketeer

love this idea! I remember I wanted to get tattoos now, thanks!!

Me, DH, Mom, DS 10, DS 9, DS 3

(Upcoming) Disney World Summer 2015, Universal Studios Orlando 2013, Universal Studios Orlando 2011, Disney World 2010,
Disney World 2007,Universal Studios Orlando 1996, Disney World 1992, Disney World 1989 (performer), Sea World Orlando 1988 (performer),Disney World 1987 (performer), Disney World 1982
pookadoo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
megsoro
Mouseketeer

This has been popular as a dog tag system for pets! It works really well, many smart phones have qr code readers installed by default. The only problem I can see is if the child has space issues. You need to get pretty close to read the tag with the phones camera.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer

It's also worth noting that first responders and hospitals may not be able or allowed to access the information on the QR code due to concerns for privacy and cyber security.

If I were using one for medical issues I'd probably have to basics on a back up traditional bracelet with more information accessible through the QR code.
utterrandomness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
pookadoo77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterrandomness View Post
It's also worth noting that first responders and hospitals may not be able or allowed to access the information on the QR code due to concerns for privacy and cyber security.

If I were using one for medical issues I'd probably have to basics on a back up traditional bracelet with more information accessible through the QR code.
good point. Thanks again for sharing Sue M.

Me, DH, Mom, DS 10, DS 9, DS 3

(Upcoming) Disney World Summer 2015, Universal Studios Orlando 2013, Universal Studios Orlando 2011, Disney World 2010,
Disney World 2007,Universal Studios Orlando 1996, Disney World 1992, Disney World 1989 (performer), Sea World Orlando 1988 (performer),Disney World 1987 (performer), Disney World 1982
pookadoo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterrandomness View Post

Although, I don't think privacy would be a concern - the band has a message asking/telling first responders to use it to get more information.

My concern as a health care worker would be where on the internet the QR code might be taking me. Would/could it be some bad website?
I'd also be concerned if I was a user of the bracelet about the information I put on the website. Who has access to it besides me and first responders?
What if the company goes out of business? Will the information still be available?

My own first choice and what I always recommend is www.medicalert.org
It is a well known and established organization and provides a lot more than just a short message engraved on a band. It has 24 hour a day, 7 day a week access by phone to your information.
There is an annual fee (which I think is reasonable for what is provided), but I know there are people who want something without an annual fee.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: